Author Topic: Desktop PC Cases  (Read 15403 times)

Offline Malphas

Desktop PC Cases
« on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 02:05:04 »
What is everyone using, or recommend?

I currently have a Silverstone TJ05 which is now superfluous to my needs, and it's pretty dated now.  I'd like something smaller, quieter, and with more tool-less features.  Most cases seem to look completely embarrassing and aimed at the LAN party crowd (as if people even still do that) or something.  Some of the Lian Li's are pretty nice and understated though.

« Last Edit: Mon, 12 December 2011, 06:24:46 by Malphas »

Offline Brian8bit

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 02:12:58 »
Lian-Li's look great. But I'm not so sure about their cable tidying capabilities. The PC-6 and PC-A04 are two that I would probably go for though (The PC-A04 though has really crap cable routing cuts). But for cable tidying benefits I would probably go for the Fractal Design Define Mini. Which has the sound deadening benefits which the Lian Li's don't, unless you go for their silent chassis range which is probably even more expensive than their standard chassis.

Oh and the BitFenix Shinobi looks really good for such a cheap case. It can take upto 8 HDDs and has somewhat decent cable routing channels. Once upon a time the Antec 300 was the goto for a cheap decent case, but when the Antec 300 is a similar price to the BitFenix Shinobi, you'd be mad not to choose the Shinobi.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 December 2011, 02:21:25 by Brian8bit »

Offline Nighted

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 02:35:58 »
I've had several Lian Li's (still have an unopened PC-8 from 2 years ago). Features are still great but the aluminum is much thinner than the classics.

Using a SilverStone SG07 now. Always wanted to build a high end box on a m-itx mobo.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 34658[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 December 2011, 02:39:11 by Nighted »
^ 100% teleprompter free.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 03:38:53 »
When Crapple stops making Mac Pro and I have to build my own, that's the case I'm gonna use: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1416&id=1897#Tab2
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline Malphas

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 03:59:40 »
Quote from: ripster;468705
All the cool people are using Corsair Graphite 600ts.  See my sig for details under computing setup.
The 600T has exactly the kind of features I want, I'm just a little put off by the size.  Also, what the hell is that in your second from the top 5.25″ bay?  Looks like an old pull-out car ashtray (and if it is, I want one).

Offline rodtang

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 06:08:11 »
Fractal Design Define Mini, I have the Normal one (R3) and it is great, you could get the bigger one (XL) if you want to go nuts on size.

Offline zmurf

• Cherry G803000LQC With Latest Generation Trackpoint
Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 06:50:11 »
Desktop PC cases.. BAH! That's so last millennia...
;)

Edit:
I have this for my XMBC/Plex computer
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MjIzMQ==
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 34668[/ATTACH]

And I used to have an Antec Sonata case for my home server before I started to use VPS instead... I can't find any picture of it since it was an old version of the case (bought it -04). But it had room for 8 disks in the hard drive compartment + four if you mounted disks in the 5.25 compartments. All and all I had 10 scsi discs in raid in that computer + one system disk.
So I can recommend the Sonata series. I like them a lot.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 December 2011, 07:22:48 by zmurf »
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline zmurf

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 07:27:24 »
Quote from: Malphas;468704
Most cases seem to look completely embarrassing and aimed at the LAN party crowd (as if people even still do that) or something.
I was at a LAN-party two weekends ago. :)

My setup at the LAN-party:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 34669[/ATTACH]
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline fireball87

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 09:46:29 »
I both go to my schools lan party, and help organize my schools lan party *shrug*.  There will always be LANs in the same sense that there is always be people who like to get together and play games from time to time as a social thing.  Arcades, those will be missed.  I don't see lans dieing in the same way though, they don't have to rely on commercial success, even though they still make decent money selling food and stuff.

Offline Aseral

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 10:48:32 »
I'v been using a Silverstone TJ09 for the past 4 years and im really happy with it, this case is a monster!
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 34710[/ATTACH]
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 34712[/ATTACH]

Offline bienc

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 11:47:07 »
If you want something quiet with minimalistic (and IMO, very nice) aesthetic, look into a Fractal Define R3. Check out this article for everything it has to offer.

It is in my top two choices for a case. The other would be a Corsair 500R.
| Rosewill RK-9000RE |

Offline Balgrog

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 11:57:40 »
I have built around 10 pc's now, all cases have been thermaltake and I love them. Great cases, can customize them easily, and they are extremely nice to look at! Good luck on the hunt!

Offline Kisakuku

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 12:25:45 »
Silverstone FT02 / RV02 are still by far the most elegant in terms of the cooling design. A bit too heavy for LAN parties though.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 12:43:14 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 03:19:39 by davkol »

Offline NamelessPFG

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 12:47:42 »
ABS Tagan Black Pearl. It's an offshoot of the Lian-Li PC-V2000, and it only cost me $100 shipped (though some lucky folks got it for a mere $90 shipped), which generally isn't going to happen with a Lian-Li-branded case.

It looks pretty sleek, too. None of that tacky/gaudy/ricer look that plagues a lot of cases these days. Airflow is good, it's spacious to work in, and I can't really think of anything more I'd ask for...well, except for some sound dampening to keep the DVD drive from making a racket once it spins up.

Offline pitashen

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 13:42:52 »
How about Corsair 650D? Pretty high quality case with nice humble look.

If you want lian li i would suggest PC-9F instead of PC-6. Better cooling and more harddrive mounts.
or if you are tight on budget and would like to own something like PC-9F, there is the LanCool PC-K9X. Same internal layout as PC-9F in steel material with similar aluminum outside casing

« Last Edit: Mon, 12 December 2011, 14:26:27 by pitashen »
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline Malphas

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 13:58:25 »
Yeah you're right, I wonder why they even bothered with the PC-6, it seems to be nearly identical but not quite as good and only £10 cheaper.  Also, money is no object really.  The 650D might be bigger than I care for, but I'm not sure.  Part of the reason I want to ditch my Temjin is that it's too large and unweildy.

Offline zmurf

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 14:38:28 »
Quote from: davkol;468962
High-quality armour.
Show Image

Amiga 3000T... stands for Amiga 3000 TANK!

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 34785[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 December 2011, 14:40:29 by zmurf »

Offline Ekaros

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 15:29:17 »
I got Antec P180B and Fractal Desing R3, I got picture somewhere from Fractal, I like the R3 more, bit more space to work with and cabling is much nicer...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 15:44:00 »
I've been digging the Abee cases lately.

Offline pitashen

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 15:52:17 »
Quote from: lysol;469095
I've been digging the Abee cases lately.

Its almost impossible not to dig those luxury Japanese enclosure brands such as WinDy or Abee what have you. But chances of getting one is rather slim as well..
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 December 2011, 15:54:33 by pitashen »

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 16:45:33 »
Quote from: czarek;468733
When Crapple stops making Mac Pro and I have to build my own, that's the case I'm gonna use: http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1416&id=1897#Tab2
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 34798[/ATTACH]

Any of the Level 10 models are truly stunning from design elements alone. A year ago I said "Neat!" but didn't want one. Now, a year later I say "Neat!" but I want one mounted from the ceiling.

I would take apart a Mac Pro and retro into this case...

Is there ANY feature this case is missing? The full tower (pictured), not the GT model.

This case inspired me to make a few notes/mock-ups of radical designs as well....
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 December 2011, 16:56:43 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Kisakuku

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 17:03:07 »
Quote from: input nirvana;469155

Any of the Level 10 models are truly stunning from design elements alone. A year ago I said "Neat!" but didn't want one. Now, a year later I say "Neat!" but I want one mounted from the ceiling.

Is there ANY feature this case is missing? The full tower (pictured), not the GT model.

This case inspired me to make a few notes/mock-ups of radical designs as well....

The GT model shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence, it's a pretty conventional design with very little left from the original Level 10 after the cost-cutting.

Offline pitashen

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 17:04:03 »
(Attachment Link) 34798[/ATTACH]

There ARE some pretty annoying flaws regarding to that case. Do some review search yourself and find out.

Offline Malphas

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 17:14:16 »
Also, it looks ostentatious and embarrassingly nerdy.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 19:26:08 »
Quote from: Kisakuku;469166
The GT model shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence, it's a pretty conventional design with very little left from the original Level 10 after the cost-cutting.

I stand corrected, you are right. The GT is such a poser :)

Quote from: pitashen;469167
There ARE some pretty annoying flaws regarding to that case. Do some review search yourself and find out.

I'll do that. Ultimately, it's about the appearance and some great features...I guess there are bound to be some shortcomings.

Quote from: Malphas;469173
Also, it looks ostentatious and embarrassingly nerdy.

That's why I originally didn't want one...but in the right setting, it can be beautiful. I'm NOT imagining it on an Ikea desk next to a bed and lava lanp) but perhaps in a modern business setting it could be fun.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline iindigo

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 19:32:04 »
I don't own one, but I really like the looks of Cooler Master's HAF series. Rugged looking with a little touch of flash that doesn't go overboard. Corsair's stuff doesn't look bad either.

Offline shawn o

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 19:50:50 »
I only use Lian Li cases. Currently using an X900 and prior to that a V1000Z.

Love the way everything fits, the finish, and tons of spare parts that you can use to mod to get it exactly where you need it to be for your setup.

Might "jump ship" though when the new Murderbox case becomes available. Was going to buy one of Charles "Murdermod" cased before but was undecided about doing a watercooling setup (and spending close to $1000 for a case).

Offline dippingriz

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 12 December 2011, 22:12:56 »
Antec 300.  I'm in-between training right now and had a little bit of free time.  So I decided to do the Texas thing.

It has red on the rest of the case now.  Too dark to take pictures at the moment.  First PC I built so I got a little dumb with the LEDs.

Offline kaen

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 09:04:34 »
I recently built a new rig inside a Corsair 500r, it is a wonderful case and the main selling point was it being able to house the H100 water cooling unit while not being a behemoth like the 800D.

Offline Cronax

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 09:45:41 »
I've just ordered a Fractal Design XL, but their whole line of similar-looking cases is ace. Great for those who want their PC to be quiet as well, and since I just LOVE me some space inside my cases I went with the XL. I'll be able to say more on it later when it actually arrives but what I've read so far, I'll be happy as a clam.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 10:32:21 »
I've been thinking about getting this case but then I have to get a hamster.

Keyboardless

Offline Brian8bit

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 11:56:24 »
Does anyone use "desktop" desktop cases anymore? Like that IBM one above, where you'd plunk the monitor on top. The only cases I see still being made in that layout are for HTPCs.

Offline Lanx

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 14:30:34 »
i have one of those rebadged lian li v2000's huge case, another another lian li a05 tiny case, some other no name slimline (but atx compatible) htpc, all aluminum cases. I will agree, lian li is like 2/3 years behind on case design, they have like zero cabling/tunneling features or anything. I'd prolly go for one of those UK cases (or rather the ones sold in uk now making their way here) the bitfenix and fractal cases.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 14:53:58 »
Go with one of the new Antec Cases SOLO II, P280, or Eleven Hundred. P280 would be my favorite unless you know you can fit everything into the SOLO II.

Offline zmurf

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 00:58:45 »
Quote from: Brian8bit;469752
Does anyone use "desktop" desktop cases anymore? Like that IBM one above, where you'd plunk the monitor on top. The only cases I see still being made in that layout are for HTPCs.

My Amiga 4000 is a desktop... And I use it.
(Computer to the left)
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 34921[/ATTACH]

Offline digitalleftovers

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 01:25:47 »

I don't use one, but I used to work for a company that used MANY of them.  They were all Antec cases, various revision of the Minuet 350.  It was a pain to cable though.  You have to get the ATX power cable at a hard 90 deg. to lay the drive cage over the motherboard and get the side panel to close...

Hmm... Nothing I just said was a selling point.  Nuff' Said.
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline pitashen

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 02:58:20 »

They are certainly still in use, but mostly in enterprises

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 04:27:05 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 03:19:28 by davkol »

Offline Malphas

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 12:06:20 »
I'll give you access to all ports in a minute.

Offline czarek

• FalbaTech
Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 10:44:26 »
(Attachment Link) 34798[/ATTACH]

I'm tempted to do so but... I'm just too lazy!

Offline rvrebel

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 14:24:51 »
I would go with a Lian Li case. I've been building computers forever and found that it was the best quality without all the flashy plastic bits.

I would look at their aluminum cases as some are steel/plastic.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 December 2011, 14:31:40 by rvrebel »
|| Filco Majestouch 2 || Rosewill RK-9000 || WASD Custom Layout ||

Offline czarek

• FalbaTech
Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 14:32:02 »
Quote from: ripster;471425
I see that response a lot as if today's generation is proud of it.

I'll NEVER collect Social Security.

Well once my boss told me I've got my job because I'm lazy. In his opinion the more lazy programmer is, the better code he makes.
I'm not proud of it but I can't say I'm unhappy because of it.

Offline Ekaros

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 15:18:09 »

Slim-form factor, yeah manufactures like DELL, HP and so one still make those, but they aren't good for building your own, cooling is a issue and they don't fit too much stuff in them.
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline sealcouch

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 16:12:17 »
PC-Q11 *****.

Offline Brodie337

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 05:08:50 »
PC-V351 here. I love the damn thing. Had to cut the side panels and mesh them in to keep the GTX480 cool XD.

Lian li are very pricey indeed, but so worth it.

Offline czarek

• FalbaTech
Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 09:44:31 »
Quote from: ripster;471563
Probably didn't ever want you to take his job.

Nah I'm too lazy for his job.

Offline lootbag

Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 17 December 2011, 09:26:10 »
About to go buy an Antec P280 for a new build.
Just released recently.
It's plain jane on the outside.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Antec/P280/

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Desktop PC Cases
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 17 December 2011, 14:43:54 »
Quote from: lootbag;472738
About to go buy an Antec P280 for a new build.
Just released recently.
It's plain jane on the outside.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Antec/P280/

P280 is awesome! Im glad that all of Antec's new cases have new original designs been waiting for a real update to their product line since the 900 released.