Author Topic: got my first clicky keyboard, 1 problem though....  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Aleroluver

got my first clicky keyboard, 1 problem though....
« on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 02:35:24 »
HI guys.  I'm excited to have found other people as excited about these keyboards as I am.  I love typing and have been looking all over for a clicky keyboard that wouldn't break the bank....  I even drove an hour for a lady who responded to my Craig's List ad and  said she had a clicky keyboard, and it was just a cheap modern membrane POS.  So, today, when I found a Dell AT101W for five bucks at a thrift shop, I was thrilled.  It is so wonderful to type on!  Of course I'd eventaully like to find the holy grail IBM model M with the buckling springs, but for now, I'm thrilled.  However, there is one problem...  the 5 key on the numeric keypad does not work at all.  All the other keys work just fine, but when I strike the 5 key on the number pad, nothing happens.  I need this because when I put a credit card number in to pay bills online or something, I use the 10 key... even if I never used it, I'd sitll want it to be working.  The 5 key above the alpha keys works fine, but the one on the number pad just doesn't respond.

So, my question, is this something that is easy or even possible to fix, and if so, where in the world do I get the part from?  Instructions on how to replace it would be greatly appreciated.  I appreciate any advice/help you guys can give.  

Thanks in advance  :o)

Offline zmurf

• Cherry G803000LQC With Latest Generation Trackpoint
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 03:45:54 »
Pull it apart and put it together again... and check all solderings. If it ain't working after that you're in trouble.
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D

Offline Aleroluver

thanks
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 20:35:19 »
Thanks for repsonding.  I pulled all the keys off the number pad and cleaned under and around them and then I played with the number 5 one specifically and took the mechanical part apart.  I found that when I pressed the metal part with my finger, it works fine, but when I put the plastic part back, it doesn't work.  What could be causing that?

I found out why they call the keys complicated alps switches...  I had y forks, metal plates, springs, and brackets flying everywhere.  I lost the spring for the 5 key (I'm convinced it disappeared into thin air, because I can't find it anywhere).... I was putting it in and it shot somewhere and now I'll likely vacuum it up.  I robbed the spring from the scroll lock key since I've never used scroll lock in my life, and it's all back together, but it still won't work with plastic part on top of the metal parts.  

Perhaps I should just through this thing away and buy a model M!

Offline zmurf

• Cherry G803000LQC With Latest Generation Trackpoint
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 02:01:51 »
Springs DO have a tendency to jump away and disappear into thin air. :)

I'm much sorry that it doesn't work for you. You could try desoldering numpad 5 and scroll lock and switch the keys with each other. If the number 5 key still ain't working after that there's definitely something wrong with either a conductor or the control chip.
At last! A mechanical keyboard with Trackpoint of my own! Now with Hyper-Scroll! And also Ergo-Clear switches. Ohh... look... custom keys! :D