Author Topic: BlackWidow - worth the price and good to go for alternative layouts?  (Read 3335 times)

Offline Voelkerball

Hi there!

I am looking for quite a time for my first mechanical keyboard.
It should be good for typing and some gaming. My Budget is limited,
so i was looking at the BlackWidow (the normal version).
Since there are many reviews about gaming with the keyboard, but not for typing:
How good is the keyboard at doing some work, like programming? Is it tiring?
Are there better mechanical keyboards out there at the same price (or even at a lower price)?
And can i change the keys to use other layouts, like dvorak?

Thanks in advantage, Pascal

Offline Tony

BlackWidow - worth the price and good to go for alternative layouts?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 10:32:17 »
1. BW Expert is good for typing, so it's good for programming too.

2. Tell us all of your options, including the keyboard model and prices so that people can help.

3. You cannot change the keycaps to other layouts since the angle of each row is different. But if you change your keyboard layout you just touchtype and don't look at the keyboard at all.

I use Colemak keyboard layout and I keep the keycaps on my Filco intact.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 December 2011, 10:36:13 by Tony »
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline shogrran

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 December 2011, 21:50:27 »
I have the Blackwidow and it is pretty decent. :D check out the CMStorm as well. But these keyboards are for the limited budget, if you're aiming for more a more sturdy feel on the key caps and more solid feel then the prices will jump. Personally though aside from the keyboard layout differences... if its using cherry keys I think it's OK.

You have to consider what keyboard you're changing from as well.

They changed the layout of the keys a little bit with the black widow. e.g. They moved the function keys a little to the right. They it's more ideal for gaming personally I do not feel anything changed for the better. I don't have much experience with other radically changed keyboard layouts though. If I were any smarter when I first got a mechanical keyboard, I would have chosen a more standard layout.

If you are decided on the blackwidow expert though, you have two choices, the MXBlue keys or the MXBrown version. I have the MXBlue version and its easier to type in compared to my old Razer Arctosa and even more so compared to the cheapo A4 tech keyboards I used before. I also have used chiclet style keyboards and scissors keyboards on laptops and typing on mechanical keyboards feels better than those as well. Apparently there are a lot of choices on which keys to choose and some reviews and sites recommend certain switches for typing and others for gaming. Personally I find MX Blacks harder to press than Blues for example. I have limited experience on the feel of these keys but on the cherry site you can pretty much compare the 'softness' of the switch types and they say Browns and Reds are the softest to press? (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that)

There are also different feels to the keys. The Blacks and Reds are I believe are what you call linear -- there is no 'click' feel when you press but they are easy to spam press as they say. Blues and Browns have a distinct 'click' feel. Also note all these rants are just based on my personal experience and it may vary for you or for other people. Knowing these factors though should help you gauge how "tiring" it will be for you.

I actually use my Blackwidow for work more than for gaming. (i game a lot less now after i graduated)

It takes a little getting used to though if you are coming from slim type keyboards(personal opinion). At first I made several errors typing and I attribute that to either the layout change by Razer on the Blackwidow or the adjustment period from slim type keyboards to regular sized ones. On the redeeming side though, changing to a mechanical keyboard I had the least time adjusting to it. In just a couple of days I have already adjusted to the changes. Unlike previous keyboard changes I took me a long time to adjust on a new keyboard.

One thing you have to consider as well is... You might get addicted to mechanical keys. I don't know If I am the only one here but after I got my first mechanical keyboard I got hooked to typing. I got hooked with mechanical keyboards and I wanted to learn more. I initially just wanted 1 mechanical keyboard but now I am saving to buy another keyboard. :D
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 December 2011, 22:20:12 by shogrran »
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Voelkerball

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 07:13:38 »
first, thanks for your answers.
I choose the BlackWidow as my first to-buy-keyboard because:
1.)It has Cherry MX Blue keys - from the things i heard of i prefer them
2.)my local retailer sells this keyboard, so i dont have to pay costs für shipping.
My Max Budget is at 80€ - not much for a mechanical keyboard, i know. But since it will be my first and i want to test them out, i am fine with a bit loss of quality.
So, because of shipping costs the keyboard should not get more expensive than 60€ in combination with being better than the blackwidow.
This seems impossible for me.
The CMStorm is quite nice, but it seems to not be available in Europe.
I will wait until some time after christmas and have a look at the great finds and newegg.

Once again - i am really grateful that you take your time for a newb like me :)
Pascal

Offline Voelkerball

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 12:27:30 »
hehe, yeah i know i hear ever so often jokes about my name and this programming language.
Or about hectopascal. Well anyway, if you want more hazing, why dont you try out Ook or Brain****?
it is worth a look if you are bored :P

P.S.: yay, not allowed to post links. Would Spambots otherwise take over the world? D:
P.P.S: - Can't - wait - to - buy - keyboard - Argh!
i found an old Numpad with a 486DX-"Notebook". It has ALPS-keys, and it feels so nice and fluffy!
So much better than the 40€-Cherry-scissor-keyboard i type on atm. Want mechanical keyboard! :<

Edit: added links - thanks ripster for letting me spam his spammed thread. Like.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 December 2011, 12:55:39 by Voelkerball »

Offline pitashen

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 13:09:11 »
Know much about the different key switches used in different keyboards? If not, do some research on the different cherry switches will help you figure out what you want.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline Voelkerball

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 13:16:35 »
Quote from: Voelkerball; not too many posts above
It has Cherry MX Blue keys - from the things i heard of i prefer them

I know everything from  tutorial on another side and the geekhack-tutorial and a youtube-video -
its the practice i do not have. Never tested any of the keys (Only my old ALPS -
but i found them amazing and expecting similar "amazing" - results with Other mechanical keys like Cherrys.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 14:52:38 »
Cherry Blues are good stuff. The Blackwidow is a decent entry board, and I like the cut of its jib. Considering the non-ultimate once dropped to something like $56, it's definitely worth the cost. As for the layout thing, if you get a set of dvorak or colemak keys, they'll sit fine much like everything else. However, you can't just rearrange the current caps. That only works on the Model M.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 14:56:54 »
Blues are great for typing.
Browns are good too if you want a bit of characteristic of blues but not liking the noises.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 15:03:11 »
My first mech keyboard was the black widow. Loved it until I got my hands on a Filco. The keys are a bit light on the black widow so I switched them out with some doubleshots. Feels much better and starting to use it once again. Good entry board IMO. :)

Offline shogrran

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 19:39:00 »
My thoughts exactly! The blues are a great start! It really gives you the complete different feel from other keyboards since it has the audible "click" :)
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Voelkerball

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 15 December 2011, 09:58:14 »
oh my gosh.
You know, i went to my local retailer to look at the blackwidow again.
And there was this try-out-hole (no, the thats-what-she-said jokes are for americans, not for europeans). I tried out. And buyed instantly (well, after negotiating on the price... they wanted 99 € O.o)
well, here i sit and type. It is just great! So much better than any keyboard before. Using it just for roundabout 5 minutes and i have got the hang of it
and am typing faster than ever before.
Wow, just wow. Thanks guys for the help! I will just type random stuff for like the next two days.

Awesomed and happy Pascal

P.S.: Clickyclickyclicky... i love this concert
P.P.S.: Yay, again another arrangement of the delete, insert, pos 1... keys. Guess i have to learn them, too.

Offline mouse.the.lucky.dog

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 16 December 2011, 00:58:56 »
Quote from: dante;470212

I just got a look at your avatar. Please, please tell me you do not preffer the show to the books!