Author Topic: IBM-manufactured Model M  (Read 1360 times)

Offline f16pilotjumper

• Trade Count: (0)
IBM-manufactured Model M
« on: Wed, 28 December 2011, 11:35:22 »
The last mechanical keyboard I had was in 1997 and I'm tired of this rubber dome junk.

Before I purchase from an eBay seller, I thought I'd see if anyone around here had one for sale, since the site & forum have been such useful sources of information.

White label 1391401 preferred.
Northgate Omnikey Ultra (Home) | Ortek MCK-101FX (In Restoration) | 2x IBM KPD8923 (Work)

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
IBM-manufactured Model M
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 December 2011, 11:38:55 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
IBM-manufactured Model M
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 December 2011, 14:06:53 »
How about clean bolt modded silver label 1390131?
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline f16pilotjumper

IBM-manufactured Model M
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 29 December 2011, 13:35:04 »
Czarek - took a look at your pictures in your post.  With the cost of shipping across the ocean, I think I'd be better to get something from someone in the US.  I'd also like to do my own modifications.  Thanks for the offer though.  I think I'm going to check some local Goodwills, etc during lunch and see if I stumble onto anything good.
Northgate Omnikey Ultra (Home) | Ortek MCK-101FX (In Restoration) | 2x IBM KPD8923 (Work)

Offline weenis

IBM-manufactured Model M
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 29 December 2011, 14:13:40 »
I have this one- http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?25390-Modded-for-USB-Lexmark-Model-M-75

It's not IBM Manufactured, but it's pretty darn rugged. Also, if you drive from Cali to pick it up, you can save on shipping.
Dell AT101W | Unicomp Spacesaver PC | IBM SpaceSaver Keyboard | IBM Black Label M | KBT Oni Brown | Leopold Otaku Brown | Noppoo Choc Mini Brown | IKBC F104 Brown

Offline h2gofast

IBM-manufactured Model M
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 29 December 2011, 22:04:45 »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180785729879

that one is clean.

I also have a 1401, but I haven't tested it yet.

Offline BiNiaRiS

IBM-manufactured Model M
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 29 December 2011, 23:57:53 »
I'm pretty sure i have a few IBM made ones that are really clean. I'm reorganizing a lot of the boards I have for sale so I'll let you know. I sell them for $50 shipped via proiority within the US.
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline f16pilotjumper

IBM-manufactured Model M
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 December 2011, 16:55:34 »
I went to the local military surplus store and poked around their storage sheds of ancient stuff, and found an IBM M2, NMB RT101+ (black 'Space Invaders' switches) and a Moretek MCK-101FX (white ALPS).  They had been stored in a dry by not airtight shed, so there was a nice layer of desert dust on them.  The lady at the counter gave me a funny look and charged me $3 for all 3.

The M2 is acting like it needs new capacitors, but I think it will be fine with a teardown, caps, and cleaning; it was on the bottom of the pile so it's not really yellowed at all.  The other two clearly have desert dust in the switches and I'd probably have to disassemble, clean and reassemble 101 individual ALPS or NMB switches for them to be usable.... and they are quite yellowed... So I don't know what I'll do with them.  

At any rate, I think I have enough to keep me busy for a little bit!