Author Topic: Looking for suggestions on MX Red switch keyboards  (Read 7597 times)

Offline tian105

Looking for suggestions on MX Red switch keyboards
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 12:43:28 »
Quote from: Aerilith;492187
So, I finally decided.
I ordered a barebone WASD with red switches, some o-rings and a set of black engraved PBT switches from Qtan.

Now I just have to wait for it all to arrive, so I can start assembly and testing :D

Thank you all for your input :)

We were in the same boat! lol  and i also ended ordering from WASD.. i ordered on the 13th. but back on that day their website did not have the option for barebones, 105 keys.   I went on their website last night and i was like oh snap, if i waited i could have gotten the barebone version and order some PBT keycaps...
i thought that was funny,

Offline enoy21

Looking for suggestions on MX Red switch keyboards
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 18 January 2012, 15:12:29 »
Quote from: enoy21;492334
So far in my limited usage of the reds they don't have all that drastic of a difference.  Sound is about the same and the feel to anyone who actually bottoms out on a light switch is very similar.  People talk about them feeling so much lighter and they do if you are looking for the activation point.   But if you are feeling the pressure all the way to the bottom they are about the same.

I think for me , I've come to realize that of the switches out there, either the reds or browns are my preference.  As keymonger mentioned above " Also, something tells me that if I were to use browns for a week, I'd prefer browns. But if I were to use reds for a week, I'd prefer the reds. It's almost impossible to decide between the two....  "

There really isn't enough difference to make a decisive decision. If you like one then I bet you will like the other.

After typing on the reds some more last night after this post ... Then coming into work and spending the days with the blues.... I have to say that I like the browns better.  The tactility and the 55g tactile bump pressure just feels too good to me.  

Don't get me wrong I like the reds ok ,  They are fine for gaming, but so was the browns, they just didn't have the nice crisp feel to them that the break point in the browns provided.  So I ordered another WASD of pretty much the same specs but with brown switches this time.

As I sit here typing this and trying to put my finger on it. It's hard.  Maybe because I'm not such a great typist so I'm prone to more mistakes than others , but it seems that my less coordinated fingers like my pinky's and ring fingers really have a hard time with the reds when trying to type quickly.   Mostly I think it's the lack of the really crisp break point at the Tactile bump that causes.  

I still feel that the reds and the browns feel like more solid switches than the blues due to the plastic "click" mechanism. I think that extra moving thin plastic piece is the one thing that detracts from the blues.

Again , If I typed solely on just one keyboard for a week I would probably come to like it better.   Hell. I will likely end up keeping both the reds and the browns.  Bring the blues from work and take the browns there and move the blues to a spare PC or something.  The more and more I'm typing on these reds the more and more comfortable I seem to get with them.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 January 2012, 17:21:04 by enoy21 »
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]
Filco MJ2 Ninja 87 [sold]