Author Topic: Razer Naga Hex w/ mechanical switches?  (Read 15805 times)

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
Razer Naga Hex w/ mechanical switches?
« on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 10:44:07 »
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398721,00.asp

It says it has mechanical switches, I wonder......
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline flyball

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 11:11:19 »
Quote from: noodles256;487998
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398721,00.asp

the side buttons are microswitched instead of a rubber mat setup
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 11:17:38 »
Quote from: noodles256;487998

Omrons most likely maybe TTC or Zippy but considering the price and the reduction in buttons I'm sure they'd spend the extra few cents on a bit better quality for the omrons. Knowing Razer it's probably the same microswitches as the main(Left/Middle/Right) buttons but knowing that pressing a button on the side can cause movement they would most likely choose a lighter weighted switch.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 17:54:54 »
Quote from: flyball;488021
the side buttons are microswitched instead of a rubber mat setup

ah ok
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 11:39:16 »
Wish all the G700s buttons were mechanical. If that razer had a better layout I might have been interested.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 15:54:43 »
Not all the G700's buttons are mechanical? That's a bit of a disappointment. My G500 feels like it uses TAC switches for all its buttons. (Of course, I've never disassembled it to look inside and be sure...)

I was also looking forward to the original Razer Naga, but if the numpad on the side isn't made with particularly high-quality switches, it's a bit of a concern. Meanwhile, the Naga Hex loses a lot of the appeal with the reduction in buttons to only 6 on the side, along with moving the DPI switch buttons behind the mouse wheel (which I hated on my old G5 and is one of the reasons why I bought a G500 on sale, along with the extra two thumb buttons).

Offline Henry Allen Venture

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 00:00:45 »
Quote from: NamelessPFG;490459
Not all the G700's buttons are mechanical? That's a bit of a disappointment. My G500 feels like it uses TAC switches for all its buttons. (Of course, I've never disassembled it to look inside and be sure...)

I was also looking forward to the original Razer Naga, but if the numpad on the side isn't made with particularly high-quality switches, it's a bit of a concern. Meanwhile, the Naga Hex loses a lot of the appeal with the reduction in buttons to only 6 on the side, along with moving the DPI switch buttons behind the mouse wheel (which I hated on my old G5 and is one of the reasons why I bought a G500 on sale, along with the extra two thumb buttons).

If your concerns about the original Naga are only about the quality, it might help you to know my brother has been using one prettymuch full time (and he is a heavy gamer and computer science student) for 18 months now with no issues.
Current collection:
Filco Majestouch 104-Key, w/ MX Browns
IBM Model M 52G9700
Leopold FC200R, "white" w/ MX Clears
Ducky DK9008S \'Shining\', white backlit w/ MX Blues
Cherry G80-3494(LCYUS-2), w/ MX Reds for Portal Mod

Not mine, but I\'ve got access to:
Filco Majestouch Linear R Limited Edition, w/ MX Reds
Filco Majestouch 2 \'Ninja\' Tenkeyless, w/ MX Blues
Leopold FC500R, w/ MX Browns

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 01:20:35 »
I play FPS games like ... MW2, Blk ops, arma2:OA, BC2, BF3 with naga.
And I also use the second naga in the office, surf the net...etc.
Those 12-buttons still like new.
But if they have better mechanical 12-buttons, for sure I'm interesting for it.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 12:57:28 »
Quote from: Henry Allen Venture;490863
If your concerns about the original Naga are only about the quality, it might help you to know my brother has been using one prettymuch full time (and he is a heavy gamer and computer science student) for 18 months now with no issues.
That's quite reassuring, though I also have other concerns coming from MX500 descendants, like comfort. Only one way to find out, I suppose.

Quote from: quake4mhg;490892
I play FPS games like ... MW2, Blk ops, arma2:OA, BC2, BF3 with naga.
And I also use the second naga in the office, surf the net...etc.
Those 12-buttons still like new.
But if they have better mechanical 12-buttons, for sure I'm interesting for it.
Actually, FPSs are what I'm mostly going to play with the Naga. That numpad will help immensely for switching weapons, especially in games like UT 2004 that use the entire number row and still require double-taps for some weapons.

OFP/ArmA also loves to use the whole keyboard's worth of binds, so I'll probably also find a good use for it there.

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 19:36:31 »
Quote from: NamelessPFG;491107
That's quite reassuring, though I also have other concerns coming from MX500 descendants, like comfort. Only one way to find out, I suppose.

You might want to see if you can get a hold of one to try out before you buy it then.
Its actually quite small considering how many buttons they've jammed on there.
I've used my brother's Naga a bit, and I find its a little too small for my liking. I'll stick with my Xai/DeathAdder/X5.
Current collection:
IBM Model M 52G9700

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 21:04:36 »
I would like to try one but I dont have $80 lying around.

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 22:32:18 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;493028
I would like to try one but I dont have $80 lying around.

Ha. Yeah, I was lucky enough to be able to try my brothers before dropping $80 on one and finding out I didn't like it.
Current collection:
IBM Model M 52G9700

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 22:45:07 »
Quote from: Henry Allen Venture;493124
Ha. Yeah, I was lucky enough to be able to try my brothers before dropping $80 on one and finding out I didn't like it.

You already have the hex?

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 17 January 2012, 23:20:57 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;493136
You already have the hex?

Noooo. I think the Hex looks terrible, and I don't really need the extra buttons.

I was just saying that when I was thinking about buying myself a regular Naga a while back, I was able to borrow my brothers to try to see if it was comfortable or not, rather than risking buying one and not liking it.
Current collection:
IBM Model M 52G9700

Offline nmd

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 00:44:07 »
I ordered this today but the damn thing is constantly backordered. :(

Offline Hubris

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 06:10:25 »
I'm sorely tempted on this. I think having fewer buttons than the horrific looking mmo mice--while still having morw buttons is a good thing. allows the buttons to be larger. The layout looks like it is easier to be accurate with as well--and it has a nub to rest your thumb on. None of the mmo mice looked like they had a good rest position, or place I could grip it to recenter the mouse.

To those turned off by the smaller number of side buttons, I proffer the following ovservation/question:

Are you really trying to put your numeric row on your mouse? Isn't the real concern about increasing the number of buttons you can easily reach? And just how many common actions are you trying to get?

I'm not interested in replacing my first 6 number keys--I'm concerned about hitting the next six buttons without leaving home row, looking away from my screen, or losing mobility.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 15:57:28 »
After comparing the G500 and Mamba 2012/4G for a while, I realized just how important it is for my left thumb to have an area to rest and grip on.

With the standard Naga, that's not possible without pressing on one of those numpad buttons, but the Naga Hex does have a spot in the middle that I could use.

I also thought I'd like the old DPI button position more, but as it turns out, the ones on the Mamba blend in TOO well with the left mouse button, unlike the G500's. While I certainly wouldn't like them behind the mouse wheel either, I also realized how I pretty much stay at 1800 DPI all the time, but may change that since Razer offers an extra button function that, while the button is held, sets the DPI to a custom value. Nifty for precision shots.

Funny how one's initial thoughts change quite suddenly when he really examines how he uses his peripherals...

Offline chel-

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 23:08:31 »
Quote from: NamelessPFG;505558
After comparing the G500 and Mamba 2012/4G for a while, I realized just how important it is for my left thumb to have an area to rest and grip on.

With the standard Naga, that's not possible without pressing on one of those numpad buttons, but the Naga Hex does have a spot in the middle that I could use....

Have you used the original Naga? The buttons aren't that sensitive that you can't rest your thumb.

Offline Greenbean

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 23:10:44 »
It really is a shame that the Naga uses a Philips Twin-Eye Laser.

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 00:01:21 »
I think naga users are not going to use those 12 buttons as numpad.
We all remapping or creating macros to make our software operation more easier. And yes Philips Twin-Eye isn't a good sensor :sad:

I won't press the 12 buttons by mistake when resting my thumbs on them. You have to press to the bottom, feel the click to register.
My thumb even grip on the buttons to lift off my mouse reposition on the mouse pad, in a split second during intensive fire fight in blk ops or bf3.

Back to the topic, I think they make a good move. Because some people are don't need & don't like too many buttons. And Hex is something in between with improved mechanical. But except the green skin I hear people are complaining.

I'm not a razer fanboy, I have ikari & logitech mouse :becky:

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 01:45:48 »
Quote from: chel-;505985
Have you used the original Naga? The buttons aren't that sensitive that you can't rest your thumb.
Can't say I have (it's not a mouse I've seen on display lately, nor do I know anyone who owns one and I can easily visit in person), but it is a concern if I actually grip the mouse fairly tightly using that thumb.

As for the talk about PTE sensors, I'm not so sure what's so bad about them, other than liftoff jitter (of which the Mamba 2012/4G might have a bit more than my G500). For that matter, I've heard some pretty bad talk about the Avago 9500 in my G500 as well, and I don't notice any positive/negative acceleration or other issues. (Could be because I'm a medium-high sensitivity user.) Generally speaking, it's as if people hate laser sensors in general and only like optical sensors like the one in the DeathAdder (and to a lesser extent, G400v2 and MX518).

It doesn't seem so easy to find the perfect balance between sensor, amount of buttons, and ergonomics now...

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 18:52:31 »
Quote from: NamelessPFG;506145
It doesn't seem so easy to find the perfect balance between sensor, amount of buttons, and ergonomics now...

That's true. It's hard to find a perfect mouse.
Although, people say the sensor is not good. But I don't find any problems. I turn 360 ingame in 1.5".

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 19:33:10 »
Quote from: quake4mhg;506777
Although, people say the sensor is not good. But I don't find any problems. I turn 360 ingame in 1.5".

With such a high sensitivity you're not likely to see the issues that the Philips Twin Eye has when you lift it off (because I don't imagine you lift off much). The only other issue is that it seems to be much more sensitive to dust on the lens.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 19:33:27 »
Quote from: quake4mhg;506777
That's a very high sensitivity. I'm working with 360 in 7" to 8" now, and that still doesn't set off any issues with either mouse, even on a cloth pad.

I'm guessing it's because most of the complainers over at OCN use very low sensitivities that might require reaching really high speeds to make 360-degree turns quickly.

Offline chel-

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 19:34:42 »
Quote from: NamelessPFG;506145
Can't say I have (it's not a mouse I've seen on display lately, nor do I know anyone who owns one and I can easily visit in person), but it is a concern if I actually grip the mouse fairly tightly using that thumb.

I can rest my thumb pretty comfortably on the side, but if you use force to grip it then you probably will end up pushing the buttons.

Offline Parak

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 12:03:58 »
Hmm, are there any other mice with mechanical (omron or similar) side buttons, or is this the only one? If only the hex wasn't so ugly..

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 20:58:26 »
Quote from: Parak;507362
Hmm, are there any other mice with mechanical (omron or similar) side buttons, or is this the only one? If only the hex wasn't so ugly..
Not now. There are many multi-button mouse on the market.
I guess hex is the first one claims "mechanical side button".
And we really need more details about what kind of switch behind that.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 16:21:53 »
Quote from: quake4mhg;507742
Not now. There are many multi-button mouse on the market.
I guess hex is the first one claims "mechanical side button".
And we really need more details about what kind of switch behind that.
Im pretty sure a steelseries mouse had mechanical side button someone posted pictures of it apart.

Offline Parak

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 22:58:29 »
Ah yes, the xai seems to have mechanical side buttons. I wonder if the sensei is the same..

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 08 February 2012, 00:14:54 »
Quote from: Parak;508917
Ah yes, the xai seems to have mechanical side buttons. I wonder if the sensei is the same..
I would assume so though I dont know if if uses omerons I though someone cracked that open somewhere.

Offline Parak

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 08 February 2012, 00:40:47 »
Ah, found it for the sensei: [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 39693[/ATTACH]

The main two switches (not shown) are omron, but the 5 extra (top middle, two on each side) are TTC switches, which are apparently rather worse than omrons. The hex on the other hand was reported to use omrons for every button..

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 08 February 2012, 00:42:17 »
TTC vs omron switch, which one is better? And how can tell the different?
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 February 2012, 00:48:46 by quake4mhg »

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 08 February 2012, 02:49:20 »
Quote from: Parak;507362
About 99% have normal micro switches from various manufacturers (Omron, TTC, Zippy, Kailh, Huano, ...).

Other types of switches switches are mainly used if you don't have the space and need smaller ones.

Dunno if the original Naga didn't use "normal" switches because of design reasons or also because of costs but it's not surprising that the Hex only has half the side buttons.
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline nmd

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 11:42:49 »
So I finally got mine after a month of waiting, unsure if I would like it. But I have to admit the shape and buttons are REALLY, and I mean REALLY good especially if you like MOBA style games.

On the other hand, after 4 days I started noticing issues with the tracking on my SteelSeries 9HD, after switching to a PureTrak Stealth mouse pad the issues have seemed to disappear for now. Might just get rid of it and pick up a Cooler Master Spawn which I've heard almost no problems with. It sucks because when I went back to my previous mouse, I missed the side buttons so much.

Offline Parak

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 13:37:14 »
The spawn is pretty good; I couldn't resist trying it out for $20 AR. All of the buttons use mechanical switches, though I haven't taken it apart to see which brand. My only complaints are the rubberized coating the smell of which transfers to my hand, and the crappy scroll wheel action compared to the G9X.