Author Topic: Getting a new laptop  (Read 2586 times)

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
Getting a new laptop
« on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 14:30:23 »
So, doing some work in photoshop, my two year old netbook is just not cutting it, and I'm considering getting a new one (non-netbook this time).

I'm creating websites, hence doing some coding, as well as some graphical work in photoshop, flash, and occationally Illustrator (Adobe package, you get the point).

I don't want a big laptop, 15" max, preferably around 13" would be ideal (I'm a fan of a laptop being transportable). A thin laptop would be preferable aswell (again, transportation).
That being said, I'm not too worried about the weight of the thing, but I don't expect a ~15" thin laptop to be heavy.

Naturally, from the above criterias, I've been looking into these ultrabooks. I don't have a huge experience concerning laptops, concerning model build quality etc., so I would like some help (obviously).

So, doing graphical work, the screen is obviously a thing to look at, and a good quality screen is a major plus.
I'm not too concerned with the keyboard and trackpad, as I will mostly have my choc mini plugged in, along with an external mouse as well.

I do want it to last for a few years before replacing it, so some power will also be a major plus.

I've been looking into the Thinkpad X1 (mostly due to the hybrid version being announced, although I don't necessarily need the extra's it has to offer over the standard version), and do like the look of it.
With that said, the price is a bit steep, although I do not mind paying the money for something that's worth it (which Thinkpad has a history of being, to my knowledge).

I'm also not an apple fan, and honestly would rather not get one, than do (there's several things I don't like about the macs, that simply scare me off from them).

So, however little that is to go on, does anyone have any recommendations/ideas for a newish laptop to get in somewhat early 2012? Note that I am not in a particular rush to get a new laptop, so feel free to suggest up-and-coming laptops aswell.

A quick summary, my focuses are on:

+Portability
+Quality Screen
+Speed
+Battery life (although not too much of a concern, it's always nice with a good battery)

Price is not the biggest issue, but cheaper is obviously preferred. I am willing to pay the price for quality, though.

Thanks in advance =3

~Zifle
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 January 2012, 14:38:32 by Zifle »
I like cats.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Getting a new laptop
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 January 2012, 15:13:11 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:12:29 by davkol »

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
Getting a new laptop
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 01:57:54 »
The X1 does not have an IPS panel, sadly, the X220, however, does. They're pretty much identical in specs, although the X220 is thicker, and ever so slightly better (spec-wise) than the X1.
As far as I can find out, it seems the biggest difference between the two is their size, and the screen.
I like cats.

Offline nar

Getting a new laptop
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 11:36:44 »
You might want to take a look at the LG P220. It has an IPS screen as well but it's not available outside of Korea just yet. It's also has a 12.5" screen so it's quite portable.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Getting a new laptop
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 11:57:42 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:12:47 by davkol »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Getting a new laptop
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 12:00:26 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:12:13 by davkol »

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
Getting a new laptop
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 12 January 2012, 13:29:35 »
Just been checking out a couple of the reviews for the X220T, and I must say, I am blown away. This most definitely seems like a laptop for my, albeit the steep price. Sometimes it just sucks living in Denmark, having to add an extra 25% when importing =/

Regardless, still taking suggestions, but I am definitely in love with this one. Will be going for it if nothing else comes up.
I like cats.

Offline cheebs

Getting a new laptop
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 January 2012, 10:27:17 »
What don't you like about Apple computers? (just curious)

The X220 is awesome, but I really love the design of the VAIO Z series (despite them being terribly overpriced).

Still I would strongly recommend the MacBook Air, especially if you're going to be doing alot of programming or design.  Many of the applications for programming / graphic design are just unrivaled, speaking without bias.

Of course you can always put *nix on the PC, but then you take a hit on the application suite, and time spent configuring, and the off-chance that no drivers are available for your quirky hardware component.

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
Getting a new laptop
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 January 2012, 12:41:16 »
I went ahead and ordered a X220T. Looking for it to arrive sometime friday, or monday.

As for the mac;
First off, the mouse usage. It's fine when doing some graphics work, you'll want to have a hand on your pointing device. But when coding, or just browsing around on the web, using different applications, etc., I feel the need for one hand on the mouse to be a pain. I used a 27" iMac for three weeks before christmas, doing a combination of graphical work and coding (although not a lot of the latter), and in the end, I hated macs even more than I did before. The screen was superb, no doubt, but the OS, having to navigate a folder with the pointer, it just seemed like such a waste of time.
It may just be lack of knowledge on macs, there might be some great shortcuts, I just did not manage to find them, and it frustrated me.

Second, the keyboard layout. I know I said that the layout was not all too big of a deal to me, and yes, I can always just plug in another board to compensate, but moving ctrl's function to command, effectively having to use the alt I'm used to, for what I normally use ctrl for, is one thing. Not just that though, I feel that it just messes with your fingers. Also the ctrl+click for menu *shrugs*

As for the applications, the Adobe suite is what I/we use, and I don't see it being anything else for the next couple of years, unless a competitor arises (GIMP just isn't enough). Photoshop and a clean, yet powerful, text editor, is my preferred applications for graphics and coding. Notepad++ is usually what I use in windows, and Geany in Linux.

I see it as such, if you get a mac, you get it for the OS, more so than the hardware. Seeing as I don't really like the OS, I don't see a reason to get a mac either.
I'm just more of a opensource kind of guy, that likes to customize my GUI to just what I like, rather than just getting used to what is the default (admitting that I have done that to the PC standard, though).

I do thank you guys for your input, I'm sure I'll put my new laptop to great use as soon as I get it =3
I like cats.

Offline cheebs

Getting a new laptop
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 January 2012, 13:32:20 »
Ahh I see, fair enough.

I usually spend most time in some sort of IDE, and use Pixelmator for graphics.  Indeed OS X is my main reason for getting a Mac, but I like their industrial design and efficiency builds, so their hardware appeals to me as well.

I know what you mean, I will always love FOSS.  If it weren't for that community I probably wouldn't have a job right now.

Anyways apologies for the aside, enjoy your machine. :smile:

Offline flyball

Getting a new laptop
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 January 2012, 13:58:29 »
Quote from: cheebs;493375
Still I would strongly recommend the MacBook Air, especially if you're going to be doing alot of programming or design.  Many of the applications for programming / graphic design are just unrivaled, speaking without bias.
lol.

Quote from: Zifle;493439
I went ahead and ordered a X220T. Looking for it to arrive sometime friday, or monday.

As for the mac;
First off, the mouse usage. It's fine when doing some graphics work, you'll want to have a hand on your pointing device. But when coding, or just browsing around on the web, using different applications, etc., I feel the need for one hand on the mouse to be a pain. I used a 27" iMac for three weeks before christmas, doing a combination of graphical work and coding (although not a lot of the latter), and in the end, I hated macs even more than I did before. The screen was superb, no doubt, but the OS, having to navigate a folder with the pointer, it just seemed like such a waste of time.
It may just be lack of knowledge on macs, there might be some great shortcuts, I just did not manage to find them, and it frustrated me.

Second, the keyboard layout. I know I said that the layout was not all too big of a deal to me, and yes, I can always just plug in another board to compensate, but moving ctrl's function to command, effectively having to use the alt I'm used to, for what I normally use ctrl for, is one thing. Not just that though, I feel that it just messes with your fingers. Also the ctrl+click for menu *shrugs*

As for the applications, the Adobe suite is what I/we use, and I don't see it being anything else for the next couple of years, unless a competitor arises (GIMP just isn't enough). Photoshop and a clean, yet powerful, text editor, is my preferred applications for graphics and coding. Notepad++ is usually what I use in windows, and Geany in Linux.

I see it as such, if you get a mac, you get it for the OS, more so than the hardware. Seeing as I don't really like the OS, I don't see a reason to get a mac either.
I'm just more of a opensource kind of guy, that likes to customize my GUI to just what I like, rather than just getting used to what is the default (admitting that I have done that to the PC standard, though).

I do thank you guys for your input, I'm sure I'll put my new laptop to great use as soon as I get it =3
1. use the command line more. or learn the shortcuts for the applications you use
2. you can swap them.
3. there's a bunch of text editors in macports/homebrew/whatever osx pacakge thing you want to use

i hope you checked the refurb ones at outlet.lenovo.com also.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
Getting a new laptop
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 18 January 2012, 13:59:18 »
No need for an apology, your opinion is valued, even though it was a little late (I didn't say anything about having decided though, so that's not your fault, by any means).

I do see why people use macs, it's just not the machine for me, so I look in other directions :)
I like cats.

Offline NamelessPFG

Getting a new laptop
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 18 January 2012, 22:19:07 »
Fujitsu T5010, T900, or T901? (Same basic model, different generations.)

13.3" of guaranteed AFFS+, with a Wacom Penabled digitizer to boot. If you don't mind buying used from eBay, the T5010 and T900 can be had for a reasonable price. (The T901, on the other hand...that one starts at US$1,900 for the bare entry-level model. Cue wallet screaming in agony.)

Offline thp777

Getting a new laptop
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 00:38:51 »
what config did you end up getting?