Author Topic: Cherry MX Blues feel like lighter Buckling Spring. You agree?  (Read 7737 times)

Offline Deverica Wolf

• My name is Hack, Geek Hack.
    • Head-Fi
Cherry MX Blues feel like lighter Buckling Spring. You agree?
« on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 16:50:31 »
This will be short and sweet as I am a man of few turds.

I've heard a lot said of this; people have said they feel nothing a like. They obviously have a different sound, pressure, area of click, and feel when pressing slowly, but when I am typing away, they feel pretty similar other than the weight.

I ordered the Blues with the intention of getting a lighter Unicomp and, despite what some others have said, I feel that's what I got. I am very happy as sometimes the BSs are a bit too heavy for everyday use. The Blues are a lot of fun and the sound is awesome. They both have that amazing sound when you click the spacebar...in-fact, I think like the Blue's sound more.

I'd say: Looking for a clicky keyboard?

Light Keys, Loud: Cherry Blue
Heavy Keys, Louder: Model M

You agree/disagree?
UNICOMP.Spacesaver BS  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2  [-_-]~ TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL
FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  Deck Legend - ToXic  |  CHERRY Touchboard ITA

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 17:29:15 »
Lies and deception
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline jmw19

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 19:28:54 »
I disagree, but if you like the Blues, that's what matters.

I like buckling springs, though they're fairly heavy, but the ramp-up before the buckling just feels better to me than the Blues. The Blues are light, but they just don't feel as good to my fingers. I also like Reds, though, so what do I know?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 January 2012, 20:01:50 »
It is all so personal and subjective. You could say, "all cars are alike, they have 4 wheels, seats, a motor .... " but what about trucks, etc.

"Click vs No Click" is, in itself, a huge debate.

Since I like click in a serious way, I chased my dream to the point that I am typing this on a monstrous IBM Model F 122-key terminal keyboard, bolt-modded, flossed, and padded to the point where it could almost be called "quiet" (to someone with a hearing problem).
But it still feels like a mid-Industrial-Revolution-era "machine" in the old-fashioned sense of the word.

My other Model M/Fs have not been civilized to the same degree and make their presence known more forcefully.

My Cherry blue Leopold with landing pads is downright "dainty" in comparison, but it is still a pleasure to type on. (And most of my comments about it would also apply to my Chicony KB5181 with Monterey blues, which I seldom use but still cherish, as well as the Northgate Omnikeys I used to own (never had blues, only whites) but sold last year.)

I might describe it this way: the blues make a single, brief, sharp, distinct "click" that is clear and ringing but does not linger overlong.

O-rings and pads manipulate the action during and after the stroke, but the click remains.

M/F buckling springs, on the other hand, like the Anthony Hopkins' motorcycle in "The World's Fastest Indian", take their time getting up a good head of steam, blow everybody else away, and then linger for another instant. The click is multi-dimensional.

Within the M/F universe, there are many levels and degrees to which the "click" can be manipulated, but it is always there.

Embrace that reality.

Or buy a motorcycle.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Human

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 00:40:22 »
In BS it is CLICK.
In Cherry Blue it is TICK.

Very much different.

Offline Keymonger

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 12:19:25 »
Quote from: Human;490100
In BS it is CLICK.
In Cherry Blue it is TICK.

Very much different.

It's different. But it's more like, BS is THUNK, and Cherry MX Blue is CLICK.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 12:38:17 »
I like the "click" vs "tick" distinction, but then you have to get in the distinction between the downstroke and the upstroke. "ker-thunk" perhaps?

O-ringing and padding Cherry blues to the point that you downward motion is stopped just below the actuation point is one way to minimize the vibrations. Has an interesting feel, too.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Warduke

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 13:11:56 »
Quote from: Keymonger;490328

I agree. For me the Blues are click and the BS are clack.
Unicomp Customizer 104 - Rosewill RK-9000 - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid - CM Storm QuickFire Stealth -
Pok3r

Offline Lanx

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 13:38:15 »
to me BS is like a thump, since the spring i guess "buckles" under pressure and thumps against the cylinder wall. While a cherry blue is like a thwack since upon key release the white slider on the blue stem get's launched up and thwacks it,
so thump vs. thwack.

Offline Keymonger

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 13:53:20 »
It is settled. BS = thump, Blue = click.

Offline objectivecpp

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 14:15:05 »
Absolutely!
Filco (Brown &  Blue)
Unicomp
Razer Blackwidow
Chicony KB-5181
Ducky DK1000
IBM White KB-8923
Dell AT101W Alps

Want: White Color; MX Blue; Full Size

Offline Deverica Wolf

• Head-Fi
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 14:25:30 »
Hmmmmm...just tried them again...to me they still similar with different weight. Again...this is while typing quick.

Quote from: Keymonger;490328

If you'll get technical, I think the BS is a CLUNK and the Blue a CLICK. But they're not that different. For a heavy typer, I feel at home and am enjoying the Blues.

Both are insanely awesome. They both give me that little resistance before I click so I don't make a mistake.
UNICOMP.Spacesaver BS  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2  [-_-]~ TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL

Offline Keymonger

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 14:32:13 »
Quote from: Deverica Wolf;490405
I feel at home and am enjoying the Blues.

So am I.

[video=youtube;ZVzsAwJXjU8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVzsAwJXjU8[/video]

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 16:26:13 »
Not to me, but largely because of the release.

MX Blues require almost a full release before the switch mechanism actually resets, though the Model M buckling spring doesn't feel that way; it feels more in line with the actuation point.

While I still prefer buckling springs, MX Blues are nice to type on, though I still think I'd prefer Clears out of the Cherry MX lineup. All of the tactility, none of the actuation/release discrepancy.

Offline RC-1140

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 05:33:01 »
When I joined all this Keyboard stuff I thought the same way. Blues are just lighter Buckling Springs. But the more I type on buckling spring, the more I disagree. I think the “Thunk vs. Click” topic is not everything, but still it's big. It's the one reason I can't stand MX Blues. When buying an expensive keyboard I don't want it to sound as if I was shaking a bag of Legos. This high pitched sound is just plainly annoying imho. But the key feel is incomparable too. The fantastic tactility of the Buckling spring is unbeaten in my opinion. It's the way how the tension builds up in the spring and is released afterwards. And on a Buckling Spring the required force behind the actuation point is lower than on many MX switches. Hooke's Law is what makes many tactile MX switches uncomfortable in my opinion. Because of this I really like Ergoclear and red MX switches and Buckling spring.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Unicomp 122-Key Terminal Emulator - IBM Model M 1394309 - IBM Model M 1394312 (Terminal) - Cherry G84-4100 - Cherry G80-1800 MX Black - Cherry G80-2551HAD (with a spare NIB)

Offline Deverica Wolf

• Head-Fi
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 07:31:50 »
Buckling Springs, I find, get annoying for everyday use. Maybe that's just me. Also, there is no Tenkeyless Unicomp and that sucks for comfort. I am keeping mine for when I write huge pages of text since it is reminiscent of a typewriter and will provide inspiration.