Author Topic: Razer Mamba 2012  (Read 2891 times)

Offline NamelessPFG

Razer Mamba 2012
« on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 16:24:07 »
Razer site page on the Mamba 2012

Since I helped a friend order an Alienware M18x that just happens to include one of these, he decided to let me keep the mouse as his way of saying thanks for the help. It probably won't arrive for a few months, though.

That dual sensor setup is weird. I wonder how it compares to the Avago 9500 in my G500. Unintended acceleration, liftoff, that sort of thing.

I have no need for wireless functionality or multi-colored LEDs, so those aren't really advantages. The different shape might be more comfortable. But the relative lack of buttons is most certainly a disadvantage; I do make use of that extra thumb button and the wheel tilt on my G500 in games with lots of binds, and in fact, it's the chief reason that I'd be more likely to consider a Naga out of the current Razer lineup.

Thoughts? (Maybe some impressions of the current Mamba models would give me some idea of what to expect, particularly driver-wise, and help decide whether I'm going to keep or sell it.)

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Razer Mamba 2012
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 16:59:59 »
I've had a Mamba for quite some time now, and so far the drivers haven't given me any problems. Not a big fan of wireless, but the option to have it wireless is rather neat as I have enough wires already around my mousepad.
Also, if you're new to Razer mice my experience with their drivers in general is that they're all neater to use than the Logitech ones. The software for my Logitech G400 is more advanced but also more of a hassle to use than Razer's software.
All in all it's got a nice shape and weight and it's on par with the Logitech mice I've used.

In addition to the Mamba I also have a Logitech G5 and a G400, the shape of the Mamba is very comfortable, although if you want a variation in grip it might not be the best choice. If you want something similar then it should be fine.

Can't say much sensor-wise as the 2012 has a different sensor than the one I have.

Offline NamelessPFG

Razer Mamba 2012
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 17:26:53 »
If it's comfortable coming from the MX500 descendants, then I'll probably like it. My only real complaint with the MX500 offshoots comfort-wise is that they could be a bit longer; the back of my palm still touches the desk, though it may subconsciously be integral to my grip style that way (anchoring my hand around my palm and moving the mouse with my upper hand and fingers).

Logitech drivers always seemed a bit on the kludgy side to me, but SetPoint II (the version that the G500 and G9 uses) is fairly powerful. Not that I use most of that power anyway; the most I do is remap the middle thumb button on the G500 to a key so that games can read it, along with remapping wheel tilt to left and right arrow keys.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Razer Mamba 2012
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 19:00:04 »
I think you'll find the shape OK then as the Mamba should be slightly longer.
I don't think it has wheel tilt or anything fancy though, so I'd say it's slightly overpriced, but since you're getting it for free that won't be an issue. Not sure if they added that on the 2012.
The lack of buttons has never bothered me though as I barely even bother using side buttons and the mouse I've used for the longest period of time is the old G5 with only a single thumb button.

And for your remapping needs I think you'll like the Razer software as it's far easier to use. SetPoint II might have more things to fidget with though.

Offline NamelessPFG

Razer Mamba 2012
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 12:30:49 »
Just got it in the mail today, most unexpectedly.

I might as well unbox it and give it a chance while digging up any reviews floating around for the 2012 variant, since it's clearly out now.

First impressions: This mouse feels really nice to hold, maybe even nicer than the MX500 variants Logitech's been using for years. The driver interface also seems more straightforward, though it did require a reboot to install. Every button has a really nice click to it, even the thumb buttons.

Razer's also one-upped Logitech in a few other areas, such as allowing buttons to switch to a certain DPI for as long as they're held and going back when they're released, or allowing the mouse wheel to change 100 DPI increments for as long as the button's held. It also lets me rebind the mouse wheel scrolling directions for those games that don't support it (and I've encountered a few, surprisingly enough).

However, if I could toggle the mouse wheel DPI switch and let it change in increments greater than 100, that function would be a lot more usable. The Razer control panel also takes a lot longer to start up than Logitech's SetPoint II.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 January 2012, 14:47:57 by NamelessPFG »