Author Topic: Is it nerdy...?  (Read 7184 times)

Offline Arexxk

• Algebraic!
    • Blog mehs
Is it nerdy...?
« on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 02:35:38 »
If I go to a soldering workshop on a Saturday morning for recreation? If you answer yes, keep in mind that you spend your time posting on Geekhack :P
PBC Poker 40% Cherry MX Blues - Stolen in the stupid CS labs
HHKB Pro 2 Topre OBV - Still kickin

fossala

Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 02:42:29 »
I read erection not recreation.
It may be nerdy but it is a very good skill to master.

Offline Arexxk

• Algebraic!
    • Blog mehs
Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 03:17:02 »
Quote from: fossala;500421

mastering soldering, or-----?

Offline Lanx

Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 04:27:49 »
heck no, if i knew there'd be like a hands on electronics class in HS i'd take that instead of stupid woodshop.

Offline GeorgeStorm

Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 06:58:26 »
Yes it's nerdy, but that doesn't mean it's not a good idea.
Being able to solder, since you're a nerd, will no doubt be very handy in the years to come.
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline Vizaari

Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 08:05:26 »
Pfft... We have duct-tape, stop wasting your time! :p

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 08:31:23 »
Quote from: Arexxk;500415
If I go to a soldering workshop on a Saturday morning for recreation? If you answer yes, keep in mind that you spend your time posting on Geekhack :P

It isn't, you may even want to invest in a cheap solder station. = ).
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline Arexxk

• Algebraic!
    • Blog mehs
Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 14:04:55 »
Quote from: Lanx;500450
heck no, if i knew there'd be like a hands on electronics class in HS i'd take that instead of stupid woodshop.

Quote from: hazeluff;500523
It isn't, you may even want to invest in a cheap solder station. = ).

I have a super cheap radio shack soldering iron that gets hot exponentially. Right when you start to think that it's not working, it burns your hand off :|

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 15:50:00 »
Quote from: Arexxk;500859
I have a super cheap radio shack soldering iron that gets hot exponentially. Right when you start to think that it's not working, it burns your hand off :|

I Got a 10GBP one at Maplins (electronics store). It died after 2 uses. ==;; ****ing maplins, overpriced bad quality crap. Seriously. (Not just that, their staff are retards (I'm sorry, but they were really bad))

Offline Arexxk

• Algebraic!
    • Blog mehs
Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 16:06:54 »
Anyone ever try one of those cold soldering irons that are "As Show on TV" brand? LOL

Offline sordna

Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 16:13:20 »
Nah, proper soldering is a very useful skill, you can build or repair lots of stuff. Hey I used my iron just 2 days ago (click the mod wiki on my sig for photos, it's a little Weller station). So who's offering this workshop / what's the cost to attend?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline DaemonRaccoon

Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 16:17:52 »
Quote from: Arexxk;500970
Anyone ever try one of those cold soldering irons that are "As Show on TV" brand? LOL

My advice, don't bother with those. They don't work.
122-Key Model F 6110345 1985-03-01 | Model M SSK 1391472 1991-01-22 | Rosewill RK-9000 v1 | KBC Poker X | Filco FKBN87M/PWE2

Offline Lanx

Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 17:35:29 »
i bought one years ago when i didn't know how to solder and i couldn't solder anything. now i know how to solder and have a nice hakko solder iron, and i still can't use that cold soldering iron to solder.

Offline Arexxk

• Algebraic!
    • Blog mehs
Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 18:02:08 »
Quote from: sordna;500974
Nah, proper soldering is a very useful skill, you can build or repair lots of stuff. Hey I used my iron just 2 days ago (click the mod wiki on my sig for photos, it's a little Weller station). So who's offering this workshop / what's the cost to attend?

My school's EE department is hosting it, and it's [drum roll] $0 to participate :P

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 18:07:17 »
Quote from: Arexxk;501054
My school's EE department is hosting it, and it's [drum roll] $0 to participate :P

I'm part of the EE department. Use resistors in silly ways and waste them and hardly care, cos we have so many. I've made like a heart shape ring of resistors and tons of other stuff. Labs got really boring, so I had to entertain myself ; p.

Just go and learn, It can't hurt. Also, after you find out you love soldering, you can get yourself a DOX and a Phantom and build your own keyboards.

Offline Arexxk

• Algebraic!
    • Blog mehs
Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 18:41:33 »
Quote from: hazeluff;501059
I'm part of the EE department. Use resistors in silly ways and waste them and hardly care, cos we have so many. I've made like a heart shape ring of resistors and tons of other stuff. Labs got really boring, so I had to entertain myself ; p.

Just go and learn, It can't hurt. Also, after you find out you love soldering, you can get yourself a DOX and a Phantom and build your own keyboards.

That's my ultimate goal. I dont really understand how to interface computers to hardware yet, but when i do i want to build a keyboard.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 27 January 2012, 18:59:42 »
Quote from: Arexxk;501098
That's my ultimate goal. I dont really understand how to interface computers to hardware yet, but when i do i want to build a keyboard.

For most people it's just grabbing a microcontroller/Arduino/Teensy, writing some very simple code and you're done (and maybe some electronics, but that bits not interfacing).

I'm in EEE and there was a lab to like do a temperature sensor that sent it to a MySQL server and then like grabbed from the server and plotted graphs using matlab. I never learned how I interfaced the sensor with USB. There was some library of code or someone had written it for me. But hell I don't think you'll need to go that far.

Look out for me when I make Hazeluff brand keyboards.

Offline Krunchy

Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 04:35:04 »
Quote from: hazeluff;501109
Look out for me when I make Hazeluff brand keyboards.

I'd definitely be curious to see what sort of aesthetics these keyboards would have.  I'm suddenly reminded of nyancat flying across several keys leaving nothing but wavy rainbows in its wake.

As far as soldering, though, I bought a simple soldering iron over a decade ago to do wiring in model kits of all things and it has served me well through the years.  It may not be a skill you use often, but at worst I think you'll find that when a situation arises where you COULD use it, you may end up saving a device or appliance from an early trip to the trash heap.
Currently hacking away on
IBM Model M || MTek K104 || Dell AT101W || Anne Pro II

Offline nar

Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 17:18:56 »
Hazeluff brand keyboards, if you can make something like this with actual mechanical switches I'll be sending you my money:

On another note, I'm also in my university's ECE department. They have never once taught us how to solder. Though I'm thinking this is partly because I'm in Computer Engineering as opposed to normal Electrical. Of course now for some reason they assume we all know how to solder anyways >_<.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 20:20:10 »
You can't really get uniform lighting under the keys with switches in the way. Speaking of that keyboard, it'll ship next week.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 20:46:03 »
Quote from: nar;501869
Hazeluff brand keyboards, if you can make something like this with actual mechanical switches I'll be sending you my money:

On another note, I'm also in my university's ECE department. They have never once taught us how to solder. Though I'm thinking this is partly because I'm in Computer Engineering as opposed to normal Electrical. Of course now for some reason they assume we all know how to solder anyways >_<.

Ahaha, We have EEE (All electrical, Computer science get their own department). Even in EEE they don't really teach you, Its actually really easy and anyway we use for 90% of the time a breadboard (its like a prototype "PCB" where you can just plug in wires/pins and test a circuit without soldering.

Also thay keyboard looks so good....@_@ The otaku in me wants it so bad. If you make it through WASD it's possible, but not with that purple line. If you've got an image you'd actually make on a WASD keyboard, I'd draw it up for you. I'd really like to see a real one made.

Quote from: Krunchy;501410
I'm suddenly reminded of nyancat flying across several keys leaving nothing but wavy rainbows in its wake.

Have you seen Rag's Group Buy for Nyancaps?!? I bet you'd want it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 January 2012, 20:56:13 by hazeluff »

Offline sordna

Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 01:24:11 »
WASD has made some designs spreading across keycaps:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 38907[/ATTACH]
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline nar

Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 12:59:48 »
Now that I know it's possible on WASD, it's so tempting...
I'll have to actually see how much money I have after all my D.C.III preorders XD

Then again I could just take the money I was going to spend on the Filco Zero Ai and use it on this...
Let me think about it :p
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline verbel

Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 01:33:49 »
Quote from: Arexxk;500415

I would kinda think of it as nerdy, but to me that’s a positive thing. Most of the things I enjoy in life are considered nerdy.

Offline Arexxk

• Algebraic!
    • Blog mehs
Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 04:06:55 »
Quote from: nar;501869
Show Image

+1 for computer engineering. Only like 5 graduate a year at my school :[

Offline Arexxk

• Algebraic!
    • Blog mehs
Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 04:14:25 »
Oh, to make things worse. This cute girl, I spoke to out of the blue one day, was boarding the bus while I was leaving it. I was already ten minutes late for the soldering workshop, I hadn't even taken a shower, and I literally stood at the bus stop for 40 seconds trying to decide if I should go to this stupid soldering thing or jump back on the bus to talk to, possibly, my future wife... I went to the soldering workshop instead :|

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 08:26:29 »
Quote from: Arexxk;503048
Oh, to make things worse. This cute girl, I spoke to out of the blue one day, was boarding the bus while I was leaving it. I was already ten minutes late for the soldering workshop, I hadn't even taken a shower, and I literally stood at the bus stop for 40 seconds trying to decide if I should go to this stupid soldering thing or jump back on the bus to talk to, possibly, my future wife... I went to the soldering workshop instead :|

Next time, next time.

I've learned to be good friends with my left hand...

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 12:48:43 »
Seriously nerdy :D

But seeing as most of us are nerds (otherwise we wouldn't have keyboard fetishes) ... ITS GREAT!

Definitely something I want to setup. ATM just have an A3 MDF and solder iron ... :) very very portable and noob like
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

REALFORCE 87U Silent (Variable) | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL (Brown) | FC660C

Offline FinancialWar

Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 12:50:55 »
It's not nerdy if the skill will help your professional life.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 13:18:41 »
Sounds like an episode of How I Met Your Mother.

Quote from: Arexxk;503048

Don't worry, you meet up again in the finale :smile:

For the question "Is it nerdy...?" I use to ask myself those questions, but then I realized once I stopped caring so much what other people thought, that much like Barney, I'm awesome.

It's better to follow your strengths, then to try to be someone you're not.

Offline Arexxk

• Algebraic!
    • Blog mehs
Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 16:30:48 »
Quote from: ripster;503331
Did you learn the soldering iron tat removal trick?
[video=youtube;lixFplme0IA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lixFplme0IA[/video]

manly to the nth degree, n being how many tattoos you have.

Offline Arexxk

• Algebraic!
    • Blog mehs
Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 16:33:31 »
Quote from: RiffRaff;503332

For the question "Is it nerdy...?" I use to ask myself those questions, but then I realized once I stopped caring so much what other people thought, that much like Barney, I'm awesome.

Dude.. that's so inspirational... It was like Lion King

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 20:13:01 »
Quote from: RiffRaff;503332

Well said.

I've ignored a lot of what others think for a long time too. I'm really nerdy/geeky and I'm cool with it.

I do what I enjoy.

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 02:08:54 »
I have a Weller WESD51. The piece of **** I had before didn't work, so I splurged. I'm glad I did, but the grip has split already...

Is this nerdy?...

Quote from: dirge
(do you really need three caps locks? :P )

Quote from: The_Ed
I only have 9 capslocks within eyesight... Yes, I counted while sitting here...

Quote from: dirge
9 caps locks!  come on you don't need that many! ;p It's only ever used by accident, you know they'll never wear shiney they get pressed once a month.

Also reaper spanked my peepee last time I circumvented the swear filter... So I will only swear in the ripster subforum and DT now.[/SIZE]
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 07 June 2012, 00:20:58 »
Love my Weller WD1, tips are easy to change, keeps constant temps, programmable temp settings so you can set it like mine with a high heat, mid heat, & cool down.

Offline FinancialWar

Re: Is it nerdy...?
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 23:14:08 »

guess you don't get laid on Friday nights. Otherwise you'd be making breakfast instead of going to soldering workshop.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 00:09:12 »

guess you don't get laid on Friday nights. Otherwise you'd be making breakfast instead of going to soldering workshop.

There is way more to life than just getting laid.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 02:00:02 »
Soldering is life.... Well, not really, but it IS a great life skill.

Once you can solder, there are a whole lot of cool projects you can do that were a closed book before. If you have any friends who play electric guitar you may find your skills in demand (fixing, upgrading, modding pedals, building pedals, etc).

Weller irons are the bees knees, but Hakko are also decent if you don't want to fork out the dough for a Weller.

Getting laid gets way too much focus (in media and social consciuosness), proportionate to how much time it takes.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 04:23:08 »
Quote from: fossala;500421

mastering soldering, or-----?

Sodomy iron.

Offline tbc

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 04:38:21 »

There is way more to life than just getting laid.

lmfao.  he actually went back two years just to troll.

LOL.

@financialwar

you are very entertaining.  i wish it was within my potential to be as funny and creative as you.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.