Author Topic: I'm new to the club and pulled the trigger a while ago  (Read 2050 times)

Offline Llama16

I'm new to the club and pulled the trigger a while ago
« on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 07:22:17 »
Hey all,

Just wanted to say that I'm new here and a new owner of my own first mechanical keyboard.

I recently bought myself a Filco Majestouch 2. It was a hard decision because it is ALOT of money. But I used to have this great ancient (yellowturned) IBM mechanical keyboard and I was certain that I wanted another longlasting keyboard that sounded and typed great.

I've been using it for a week now and I must say it types really great. The thing is, whenever you (at least 'I') spend so much money on something, I tend to notice the smallest faults, just as much as I would notice faults when I make something, they're there and you'll never ever forget them while other might not even notice it.

Well, I've got key (that i use, insert as well) 'Y' that pings (a very high pitched noise that stays for over second sometimes and is a different pitch then some of the others). And one that rings, the tab.

I bit of a bummer, but hey nothing I can do about it I think, hopefully I'll be able to let it go :D

But so far so good, I even caught myself looking at other cherries to try out, but I seriously had to stop myself.

Dries

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 08:37:00 »
Well welcome to GeekHack ^_^

Hope you can get used to it. I would say its a your imagination.

I have the exact same keyboard and don't have any problems.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline Barn

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 08:50:12 »
Enjoy your new board!

Every key pings for me and I don't care the slightest, you'll get used to it.

Offline Llama16

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 08:54:01 »
Quote from: hazeluff;501456
Well welcome to GeekHack ^_^

Hope you can get used to it. I would say its a your imagination.

I have the exact same keyboard and don't have any problems.

I'll probably get used to it but it's certainly not my imagination. Did a blind test (someone else randomly pressed keys) and I took out those ones every times, no matter how he pressed them. Also have video prove, but it's not as loud as I hear it as the mic on the camera has problems with high pitched noise.

Maybe it even goes away after a while and is just breaking in.

Offline Gin

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 10:52:29 »
Have you thought about RMA?

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 10:57:19 »
for the record, my new yellow Filco tenkeyless w/ browns is pingless.
Keyboardless

Offline Llama16

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 14:39:51 »
Hey guys,

Yeah it's gotten better. The tab I don't notice anymore and the Y has actually gone away after a week or so, it now rings but that's less annoying then that high pitched noise from before and I hardly hear it (allthough still distinguishable).

I've got some blan keycaps coming in as well :D

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 17:07:25 »
Quote from: Llama16;503434
The tab I don't notice anymore and the Y has actually gone away after a week or so, it now rings but that's less annoying then that high pitched noise from before and I hardly hear it (allthough still distinguishable).

The 'click' and it's "audio feedback", I can't live without.  But the resonating 'piiiiiiiing', I used to live with it for years then I discovered GH and found the "dental floss" mod.  You basically remove all the keys and put a little something inside the springs, preventing them from resonating.

I did it on all keys besides the numpad of my daily driver and the difference is huge.

So do a search here for the "floss mod", you may like it!
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 19:06:00 »
Welcome to GH! We tend to be a trigger-happy bunch.

Offline naranja

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 19:27:53 »
Can I ask where you bought your board?