Author Topic: Best RTS Mouse With No Acceleration  (Read 26742 times)

Offline All The Fire

Best RTS Mouse With No Acceleration
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 18:56:50 »
Quote from: AeneaS;532221
Except for beeing a little heavy and expensive the Saitek Cyborg R.A.T.7 is really good. As far as I tested it has no acceleration, no prediction etc but you might not wanna use it on highest DPI Setting. Running it on 800 in fact.
Do you get any jitter issues?

I got an albino with the blue cyborg mouse pad and it was absolutely unusable, a click of the mouse would shift the cursor so far that I couldn't even follow web links. Worse that I main the FAL in blops and at the rate I mash the button I sometimes move the mouse off target, I don't need jitter adding to this. It's not as bad on my desktop but then there's a lot of friction issues.

Offline AeneaS

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 20:02:00 »
Quote from: All The Fire;532589
Do you get any jitter issues?

I got an albino with the blue cyborg mouse pad and it was absolutely unusable, a click of the mouse would shift the cursor so far that I couldn't even follow web links. Worse that I main the FAL in blops and at the rate I mash the button I sometimes move the mouse off target, I don't need jitter adding to this. It's not as bad on my desktop but then there's a lot of friction issues.

No jitter issues at all... I did a pixel test holding the mouse still and clicking like a madman. didn't move a single pixel.
I am using a black cloth pad and I believe the cyborg mousepad you are refering to is a hard plastic!?
Try a black cloth mat. I use the Razer Goliathus. It glides wonderfully smooth even after ~ 2years with no changes to my mouseskates! You can get it for ~ 15€/$ and it is excellent. I'll try the mouse on my plastic pad and report back if I get jitter issues...
You should really try cloth mats... They are wonderfully silent, smooth,... =]
Edit: just tested it on my hardplastic mat from speedlink and also no jitter issues there... It is dark blue. Maybe its an issue with the color or you got a defect unit... Tried updating the firmwire btw? Also never run on highest DPI setting. I run on 800/1600. edit2: When I turn the DPI all way up then I get slight jitter issues on my hard plastic mat! slight movement by maybe 1pixel for every 10clicks...  But no issues at all on my cloth mat. So that is the best surface for it I believe!
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2012, 20:10:06 by AeneaS »

Offline All The Fire

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 21:23:05 »
Maybe I got a faulty product, but they weren't available for sale to Australia so I had someone in US buy it and then ship it on to me. I think it'd be too much trouble trying to return it.

The cyborg pad is a cloth surface, I also have a black hardmat from Roccat and it's better on that but still not worth using. I get this at my normal DPI of 1800x2400, not much more than yours, I still get it at low DPI's only difference being it doesn't move as far. I'll have to have a look into a firmware update.

I have a bit of a feeling though that it has to do with the sensor tracking lift when I click. It heads in the same direction as it does when you lift the mouse and furthermore it happens more on a thick cloth pad, it happens a little less on a thinner hardmat pad and it barely happens at all on the desktop...

Was pretty upset about it, was a lot of money and an incredibly good looking mouse.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2012, 21:26:31 by All The Fire »

Offline AeneaS

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 01 March 2012, 21:58:36 »
Yeah thats pretty harsh considering the price... I would be pretty upset as well
Your only chance is to try a firmware update... If that doesn't help then you got a faulty unit =/
If he still has the receipt then you could try to send it back to your friend and let him return it... I am sure they will give you a new one... Also look if they have international warranty then you can just send it in directly. I would just complain until they fix it since this is enraging at this price. I am pretty confident they will give in eventually...
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2012, 22:01:22 by AeneaS »

Offline All The Fire

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 01:12:13 »
Went looking for the firmware... omg :shocked:

http://cyborggaming.com/prod/mmo.htm

... must resist...

Offline Anyguy4321

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 13:46:25 »
The best RTS mice--at least if you play competitively--will have perfect tracking at medium sensitivity and be relatively light weight to ensure high apm.  Stability of the mouse while clicking and double clicking is also very important as you will be trying to get at least 2 APM a second and want it all to be effective apm and not just spam.  Also, things like fancy firmware/software are avoided like the plague.  Reliability is way more important than bells and whistles.

I have owned/used a MX518, G400, G9x, G500, G700, Abyssus, Death Adder, Imperator, and RAT 7.  I have also used a Razer Exactmat, Steelseries QXC+, 4hd, Razer Goliathus Control, and normal cheapo mouse mats with each of these mice.

Of all the mice I have used, the G9x and Abyssus by far are the best for RTS.  I can see why some might prefer a G400/G500/Death Adder as they are relatively light mice that are good for palm grippers but I am more a finger touch gripper so they are not for me.  Also they are relatively heavy.  

The G9x and Abyssus are both small mice that can support claw or fingertouch grip.  They have excellent tracking (G9x has slight acceleration as it uses the annoying Avago 5700 dpi sensor) and they have good switches.  I have a Steelseries Sensei and Zowie AM in the mail so I will report on those as soon as I get them.  As always, it really depends on your preferences.  I prefer an abyssus on a QCK+ at 1800 hardware DPI and 6/11 in windows.  It is a medium sensitivity on a slight friction mouse pad.  Some might use, for example, 450 DPI on the abyssus on a 4HD (Slippery plastic mouse pad).  It all depends on preference.  I was happy with my g700 and g400 before until I got into high diamond in starcraft and my control was just not precise enough with my old setup.  Misclicking even one focus fire would ruin the game.

Given that, I think any heavy mouse such as the RAT series and the G700 (which I love to death in every other type of gaming genre and general productivity task) is a HUGE mistake.  Look at what the top pros use.  In SC1, they use mainly the G1, a very light old optical mouse.  In SC2; SKMC uses a kinzu, IM_MVP a G9x, and all the Western pros use a mix of death adder, abyssus, and Steelseries Sensei.  Granted most of these pros have sponsorship deals but razer and steelseries produce a gamut of mice and the pros all choose the lighter mice in general.

Offline pyro_dragun

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 14:42:04 »
Get the logitech G1. Simple, great rts mouse, only 2 buttons, a wheel, and a back button. I use one for Brood Wars.

Plus you can get a new one on ebay for around $25.

Offline Anyguy4321

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 01:56:51 »
Fry's got in some CM gaming gear and I jumped on the CM Spawn.  OH MY GOD.  This mouse is amazing.  I was having control issues with my Abyssus (not sure if it has jitter) because the mouse is very small and the buttons are built into the overall chassis of the mouse so that I find it hard for my clicking to be stable.  I have also had the abyssus for about 3 months and I feel that the clicking is not as sharp and responsive as it use to be even though they use Omicron switches.

The CM spawn fixes all the things that were beginning to annoy me about the Abyssus (my preferred RTS mouse before).

1)  The mouse looks smaller than it does in pictures.  The abyssus is only slightly longer and the CM Spawn is actually wider.  I find that it makes it more stable for rapid clicking.  

2)  The rubber grips on the side are way better than the glossy sides of the Abyssus for control.  It also tends to deal with sweat better.

3)  The tracking seems about the same.   FPS'ers complain about the CM Spawn's performance at very high speeds but that almost never happens in RTS.  No pro rts'er is a low sensitivity user to my knowledge. Effective APM is way more important than pinpoint precision.

4)  The omicron's switches are not a part of the chassis.  They are dedicated buttons and are more responsive than the Abyssus' buttons while maintaing the reliability and quality of still being omicron switches.  It is much easier to double click on the CM Spawn in other words.  The side buttons are omicron switches and well and provide similar levels of feedback.

I've gone from yo-yo'ing from top 8 to top 25 in diamond to being consistently able to be top 4 (hopefully masters soon).  The precision of the CM Storm is amazing for RTS.  I've already ebayed my Abyssus.  My incoming Sensei and Zowie AM have big shoes to fill :)