Author Topic: access keybord  (Read 1960 times)

Offline andrewjoy

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
access keybord
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 01:52:44 »
MX blacks, plate mount, nkro, programmable, SP doubleshots. They are really nice boards, not fond of the trackpad model... but still a really good deal.

fossala

access keybord
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 01:56:28 »
I remember someone saying them F-keys where not doubleshot.

Offline andrewjoy

access keybord
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 02:10:10 »
Ooo if the caps are doubleshot may be worth it as I am currently bidding on a compaq rack mount with trackball NIB

Don't know how shiny the caps are but if they are doubleshot I could sand them with wet and dry I guess

fossala

access keybord
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 02:12:22 »
IMO them compaq keyboards are the best cherry browns that I have typed on, they just felt so smooth and clean.

Offline andrewjoy

access keybord
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 02:40:34 »
I am going to see if I win the compaq rack mount first as I already have a black alps dell and a 97 Lexmark model m on the way

Offline LennyRhys

access keybord
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 11:30:47 »
Just bought myself two of these on ebay UK and seeing that they're Access-IS boards I'm hoping they'll have at least SOME double shot keycaps.  Not interested in the boards themselves so will probably give them to whomever can make use of the switches, which are presumably Cherry blacks.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
access keybord
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 13:07:36 »
AndrewJoy, Chances are you'll enjoying typing on the compaq more - they are great boards.  Chances are it's the auction I'm watching, so I won't bid, I don't need any more keyboards...  I've got one of same access's as in the auction, the f keys aren't double shot on mine.  If you do decide to get it, make sure there's a suitable template in softprog first, otherwise you won't be able to reprogram it.

LennyRhys, I like the backspace (three of them!  Someone designed it with my level of accuracy in mind...) and tab keys.  I'd be amazed if they aren't cherry blacks, but the design of the board looks to be old (pleasing, but is distinct from their current style) so it's possible they aren't.

You've also got some blanking tiles on the board too.  The squares without a keycap will have a hidden switch underneath.  They are a pita to remove, the easiest way I've found is to remove the surrounding keys and grab the tile with your finger and thumb.

What do you intend doing with the caps?
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline LennyRhys

access keybord
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 14:08:24 »
@ hoggy - I'll harvest the caps that I want (my main reason for the purchase) and everything else will probably be sold here.  Given that I only really want one board it's possible I might sell the other in its entirety. :)

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
access keybord
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 15:09:51 »
Damn, I do occasional searches for Access boards, somehow missed those!

I can make good use of the dinky spacebars, but only if I could have both. Might even buy a whole board just for the spacebar :-D

edit: for this: Soarer mini v1
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 February 2012, 15:16:53 by Soarer »

Offline LennyRhys

access keybord
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 15:24:46 »
Well I definitely won't need the space bars, so chances are you can have both - we can work something out when I decide how best to sell what I don't use! :)

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
access keybord
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 15:30:46 »
Just trying to get my paw in the door! Of course, see how things pan out :-)

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
access keybord
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 16:27:53 »
Soarer, I can't believe I missed that thread.  Your earlier work has persuaded me to get a teensy to remap that maltron of mine....
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline LennyRhys

access keybord
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 06:36:24 »
Ok folks I got the Access keyboards today and I'm very pleased with them (one of them in particular, because it's like new/pristine and in perfect working order).  The more weathered one has a couple of keys that don't work, but I'm suspicious it's the chewed-looking PS/2 connector playing funnies with the switches.  In any case, the seller described them both as being in perfect working order so I'll have to see about getting a part refund or something.

This is the more "used"-looking one, which I haven't dismantled yet

LOTS of cherry blacks

Continued below...

Offline LennyRhys

access keybord
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 06:36:35 »
All the dark gray keycaps are doubleshots, including the two which have red legends (Symbol Shift and Help); the rest are dye subs

This really got me - I found a switch under the first cover I pulled, but the remaining four covers have bare PCB underneath the plate

Still haven't decided what to do with them yet - I suppose if people are interested in the boards or switches/keycaps then I can work something out. :)