Author Topic: Ducky Shine - Red or White LED, Brown or Blue switches?  (Read 10044 times)

Offline Adude

Ducky Shine - Red or White LED, Brown or Blue switches?
« on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 08:33:17 »
I wanna buy Ducky Shine keyboard, however I'm not sure what I want. Brown switches seem to be more for gaming and offer a bit poorer typing experience, while blues seem to offer a good typing experience and offer a good gaming experience as well. Blues also don't seem too load on Ducky Shine, so that's an upside as well.

As for the LEDs, red LED seems to cause less eye-strain, while white LED seems to cause significantly more eye strain when in a dark room.

What are your opinions/advices/etc.?

Offline flyball

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 08:48:42 »
buy whichever
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Adude

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 10:08:31 »
What do you mean by that ripster?

Offline Adude

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 10:17:06 »
Ain't Ducky Shines checked before shipping by Tankguys (if buying from them)? Therefore, ensuring quality and no "bugs" in them?

Offline DrSchlock

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 10:19:52 »
I suppose it's really a matter of your personal preference. Do you plan to use it in the dark a lot? Do you plan to use it more for gaming or typing?

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 10:32:46 »
Well, both keys are tactile.  Browns are lighter and quiet(er) while blues are a tad heavier and clicky.  It's up to you.  Do you want clicks?  Indeed, red light is easier on the eyes, but white can be fine too if it is turned down.  I don't know what kind of white LEDs Ducky uses but my MacBook is quite tolerable.  They vary quite a bit.  Blue is the worst.  The blue LED fascination in the world of electronics has yet to wain, much to my annoyance.
Russ

Offline Adude

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 10:50:02 »
DrSchlock, I'm going to use it at least an hour or two a day in the dark, maybe more or less sometimes. I plan to use it both for gaming and typing. I game a lot sometimes, but more often I type a lot (I'm writing a book).
rknize, yes, blue LED is indeed the worst in my opinion as well. I also don't mind keeping it low, as long as I can see the keys well, but it still emits the light, same waves, same effect on the eyes, just a bit lesser.
I don't particularly want clicks, but I think that I might like the heavier feeling, as as I imagine, if the key's light, I couldn't feel when I'm pushing it down, only the tactile feeling, which would likely feel unexpected. That also means that it'd be hard to not hit the plastic bottom that would make extra noise.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 13:12:42 »
Well you can feel them being pushed...it's not like they have zero resistance.  Browns are still going to make noise if you bottom out, but you have the option of largely silencing them by installing o-rings or learning to touch-type.  Blues are going to click.  You can silence the clack of the key bottoming, but you will always have the click.  Just something to think about.  It's a very personal choice.

Browns seem like they are the most popular for people coming from rubber dome keyboards.  I came from Model M types (buckling spring), which are very click-clacky and have higher resistance than most of the Cherry MX types being used.  My goal was to stay mechanical but with quieter operation.  I kind of want to try clears, but we'll see how it goes.
Russ

Offline Encryptor

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 13:38:36 »
Quote from: Adude;510208
DrSchlock, I'm going to use it at least an hour or two a day in the dark, maybe more or less sometimes. I plan to use it both for gaming and typing. I game a lot sometimes, but more often I type a lot (I'm writing a book).
rknize, yes, blue LED is indeed the worst in my opinion as well. I also don't mind keeping it low, as long as I can see the keys well, but it still emits the light, same waves, same effect on the eyes, just a bit lesser.
I don't particularly want clicks, but I think that I might like the heavier feeling, as as I imagine, if the key's light, I couldn't feel when I'm pushing it down, only the tactile feeling, which would likely feel unexpected. That also means that it'd be hard to not hit the plastic bottom that would make extra noise.

You might want to consider MX clears as well as browns.  In my opinion, browns are very light.  What are you currently typing on?  If you're used to something like a laptop keyboard, browns might be fine for you.

Regarding the LEDs, if you're going to be in complete darkness for a couple hours a day, you might want to go with red.  It's all really a matter of personal preference, though.  I have white LEDs in the keyboard I use at work because I think other colored LEDs would look kind of unprofessional in my office.  I do sometimes use it in complete darkness and my eyes don't feel strained since I can turn down the brightness, like you mentioned.  But at home, I have blue LED backlighting to match the blue LED fans in my computer.  :cool:

Offline Encryptor

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 13:47:57 »
Quote from: rknize;510328
Browns seem like they are the most popular for people coming from rubber dome keyboards.  I came from Model M types (buckling spring), which are very click-clacky and have higher resistance than most of the Cherry MX types being used.  My goal was to stay mechanical but with quieter operation.  I kind of want to try clears, but we'll see how it goes.

I think it depends on the type of rubber dome people are coming from, too.  I had been using an older Dell rubber dome that was kind of stiff, and I type hard.  So for me, MX clears are more satisfying to type on than browns.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 13:51:23 »
Cool.  I would like to try clears at some point.  The browns do feel very light to me.  I think I can type as fast as or maybe faster on the browns than I can on the Model M.  I mistype more often, though.  I know what you mean by the Dell keyboards.  They make my hands hurt.
Russ

Offline Adude

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 14:42:10 »
rknize, well 145 bucks + 40 shipping is already a lot for me, so I'm not going to get the dampening pads.

Encryptor, as for clears, there's no Ducky Shine with clears, unfortunately, so I gotta choose between blacks, reds, browns and blues. I am typing (and did for over 10 years) on rubber dome keyboard. Logitech multimedia keyboard that is. The more time goes by, the harder are the keys to push. My current keyboard requires around 60g force (did a money test) to push. I don't like it (it makes my hands hurt). I've another keyboard that has somewhere around 55g force to push a key, which I like a lot.
Well it depends. I probably won't spend that much in complete darkness, but I spend a lot of time in a very dim light.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 14:53:11 »
Well, out of the tactile models, the blues are the closest to what you currently like.  But they click.  If neither you nor the people around you mind that, then that is probably a safe bet.  If you don't want the click, that leaves brown.
Russ

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 15:05:46 »
don't get ducky because it's sucky.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Encryptor

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 15:23:18 »
The Ducky Shines look pretty (compared to my Deck, with its big forehead :nerd: ) and have more features.

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 15:32:54 »
Quote from: Encryptor;510423
The Ducky Shines look pretty (compared to my Deck, with its big forehead :nerd: ) and have more features.

It is still a sucky ducky that feel ****

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 15:40:17 »
If backlight is a must, Ducky seems to be a better choice than Razor.  Indeed one can do better in terms of overall quailty, but any of these should be better than most of the comparably-priced rubber domed boards out there.
Russ

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 16:02:58 »
Still lucky ducky feel crap compared to filco

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 18:16:29 »
For that price I rather get a filco thankyou very much.

Sucky ducky should only cost $10, because it's so ****

Offline Adude

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 18:26:30 »
rknize, well I wonder if they click loud or not. My current keyboard is quite load as well, as I'm bottom out the keys. I'd love to hear how they sound on Ducky Shine exactly, as I've heard some really annoying sounds and some quite pleasant and silent sounds on YouTube...

FinancialWar, any actual arguments? it sounds like "he is ugly to everyone coz I said so".

yjhuoh, nice one, a good gift for a geek girlfriend. :P
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 February 2012, 18:28:32 by Adude »

Offline CaiSter21

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 18:29:31 »
just ignore FinancialWar, hes just trolling
Ducky Shine DK 9008S Red LED |Rosewill RK-9000BR

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 18:49:02 »
ducky is bad.

Offline gridlock

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 18:50:23 »
I personally prefer the blue switches over brown but white LEDs are the best!

Offline gridlock

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 18:51:28 »
Quote from: FinancialWar;510570
ducky is bad.

Apparently the Shine models are way better quality than previous iterations of Ducky boards. So I hear...

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 18:58:13 »
Quote from: CaiSter21;510553
just ignore FinancialWar, hes just trolling

tapatalk is the best app ever, it makes trolling so much easier. Trolling anywhere, any time.

I bet ripster is using it to spam too

Offline Adude

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 19:20:58 »
It's a shame that moderators don't do nothing about spam posts around here. I would've banned spammers like that a long time ago.

Anyway, gridlock, you're saying that why? Do you've a Ducky Shine with white LEDs?

Offline CaiSter21

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 19:41:54 »
lots of ppl complain about the duckys because when they first came out, they had a lot of trouble with quality control. But now, their current lineup is on par with rosewills and leopolds. The DK Shine is the same as the DK9008G2, but with LEDS. so its not better than their current lineup, just better than what they made in the past

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 19:43:01 »
Quote from: ripster;510587
You are rather bad at it.

everyone is by your Ripster standard.

Offline Adude

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 20:02:25 »
And rosewells/leopolds are the top quality keyboards, aren't they?

Offline CaiSter21

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 20:25:24 »
no, filcos are the best cherry mx keyboards

Offline Kamikaze K

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 01:26:57 »
Quote from: CaiSter21;510636
lots of ppl complain about the duckys because when they first came out, they had a lot of trouble with quality control. But now, their current lineup is on par with rosewills and leopolds. The DK Shine is the same as the DK9008G2, but with LEDS.

+1

Totally agree with you on that one...  Internet forums are filled with trollers in general so don't take any notice of their pointless interruptions.  GH tend to be very bias to Filco boards and though they are great boards, there are plenty of other options out there.

Also just a correction on the Shinings... It's based on their DK9008 not their G2's.  G2's I believe has 20KRO via USB.... Shining only has the usual 6KRO (USB) and N-KRO (Ps/2)... Still a fantastic board all the same.
FILCO Majestouch 2 Camouflage Tenkeyless [Black]
DUCKY DK9008 Shining [Blue]
CM STORM Quickfire Rapid [Red]
TOPRE REALFORCE 87U

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 01:56:26 »
Quote from: Kamikaze K;510811
+1

Totally agree with you on that one...  Internet forums are filled with trollers in general so don't take any notice of their pointless interruptions.  GH tend to be very bias to Filco boards and though they are great boards, there are plenty of other options out there.

Also just a correction on the Shinings... It's based on their DK9008 not their G2's.  G2's I believe has 20KRO via USB.... Shining only has the usual 6KRO (USB) and N-KRO (Ps/2)... Still a fantastic board all the same.

so who should be blamed? Ducky are the one decided to release inferior board with lots of issues. And that gave them a bad reputation, first impression are very hard to change and that is why I will never trust them with another keyboard no matter how good it is, because in my mind, Ducky is a **** company with quality control issue that makes ****ty keyboard. I mean why take the risk with Ducky when there are companies out with much better reputation and superior keyboard.

I am sorry, I am will do everything in my power to stop people from buying Ducky.

Offline Kamikaze K

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 02:50:54 »
Quote from: FinancialWar;510816
so who should be blamed? Ducky are the one decided to release inferior board with lots of issues. And that gave them a bad reputation, first impression are very hard to change and that is why I will never trust them with another keyboard no matter how good it is, because in my mind, Ducky is a **** company with quality control issue that makes ****ty keyboard. I mean why take the risk with Ducky when there are companies out with much better reputation and superior keyboard.

I am sorry, I am will do everything in my power to stop people from buying Ducky.

And by pointlessly spamming crap your way of stopping people from buying the board?  It's just white noise mate, no one really cares when you put it like that.  Ripster writes stuff like that... but thats just, well, Ripster.

I get it, you had a really bad experience with Ducky's and I can understand your frustration... but I didn't, my Ducky board has been flawless from day one.  My Filco on the other hand has keycap and case alignment issues and that was my first Filco board so should I condemn them too?
TOPRE REALFORCE 87U

Offline Forin

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 04:10:16 »
I think that Ducky 1008 MX Blue is a great keyboard, if you just want a good tool for typing.

Ducky 1008 MX Blue > Filco 87U White (brown MX)

You like it or not.

Ducky DK1087 MX Brown, Filco MJ1 Tenkeyless MX Blue, CM Storm MX Blue

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 04:20:02 »
Quote from: Forin;510866
I think that Ducky 1008 MX Blue is a great keyboard, if you just want a good tool for typing.

Ducky 1008 MX Blue > Filco 87U White (brown MX)

You like it or not.

yeah right. the 1008 is of worse quality than the 9008 and 9008 is a piece of junk compared to Filco and you're telling me it's better than filco.

Laughable.

Offline Forin

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 05:05:07 »
Ducky 1008 MX Blue is like a Monolith from Kubrick's '2001: A Space Odyssey'. It's complete.

Filco 87U White (brown MX) is some kind of degeneration. It is a compromise. Clicky but silent, tactile but linear, white but yellow.

Quote from: FinancialWar;510871
yeah right. the 1008 is of worse quality than the 9008 and 9008 is a piece of junk compared to Filco and you're telling me it's better than filco.

Laughable.
Ducky DK1087 MX Brown, Filco MJ1 Tenkeyless MX Blue, CM Storm MX Blue

Offline Adude

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 07:35:45 »

You want to stop me from buying Ducky Shine? Give me 45 bucks, to cover the shipping and the extra $5 that Filco costs. I promise that will not buy Ducky, I will buy Filco Majestouch if you do that. Otherwise, stop spamming this thread because your posts are pointless (no arguments) and they won't affect my decision.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 07:47:07 »
Quote from: Adude;510923
You want to stop me from buying Ducky Shine? Give me 45 bucks, to cover the shipping and the extra $5 that Filco costs. I promise that will not buy Ducky, I will buy Filco Majestouch if you do that. Otherwise, stop spamming this thread because your posts are pointless (no arguments) and they won't affect my decision.

Yeah, I'm starting to not like him. Everytime someone brings up ducky he just goes with his one opinion with his one experience and just bashes on the Ducky to no end.

IIRC he was not happy with the cherry stabilizers.

Ontopic:

I really like browns since I game more than I have to do prolonged sessions of typing. I'm starting to ponder whether I personally should get a Blue switch board for typing (or to play around). I say gaming/hybrid then go brown, typing go blue. You really need to try and see which switch you like more for what you do.

Since price is a concern, you may consider a Rosewill. But its not backlit and it has a rather ugly logo.

As for LED lights. It's a real personal thing. What color do you like more. I say Red and White are very sharp colors and strain the eyes quite easily. Red being my favorite color, I'd go for red.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline Adude

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 07:52:24 »
Quote from: hazeluff;510926
I really like browns since I game more than I have to do prolonged sessions of typing. I'm starting to ponder whether I personally should get a Blue switch board for typing (or to play around). I say gaming/hybrid then go brown, typing go blue. You really need to try and see which switch you like more for what you do.

Since price is a concern, you may consider a Rosewill. But its not backlit and it has a rather ugly logo.

As for LED lights. It's a real personal thing. What color do you like more. I say Red and White are very sharp colors and strain the eyes quite easily. Red being my favorite color, I'd go for red.

I wonder, why blues are bad for gaming? If it's the sound that *might* distract you from an immerse game, that is personal, and I game with my headphones on most of the time anyway. I cannot try the switches, so that's why I'm trying to get some answers here. :)

Offline Human

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 09:58:52 »
@ above

To me, it isn't the sound that distract me but the "double-action tactility" that distract me.

Offline Adude

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 10:00:47 »
Quote from: Human;510989
@ above

To me, it isn't the sound that distract me but the "double-action tactility" that distract me.

What do you mean exactly?

Offline Human

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 10:06:36 »
Cherry Blue is function such way which you will feel 2-action tactility.

Offline Adude

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 10:32:46 »
Quote from: Human;510999
Cherry Blue is function such way which you will feel 2-action tactility.

Oh, and browns don't have that feature?

Offline Human

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 11:04:23 »
Quote from: Adude;511020
Oh, and browns don't have that feature?

No

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 11:14:40 »
Browns are tactile in both directions as well.  I think this might be what trips me up while gaming on it.  Might also be the light springs (compared to my previous keyboards).  I'll know once the CM Storm with reds shows up.
Russ

Offline Kamikaze K

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 16:25:12 »
Quote from: Adude;510928
I wonder, why blues are bad for gaming?

I personally think that Blue's are totally fine to game on... I started out on Blue's and I had no problems whatsoever gaming on them.  I play a lot of FPS's with a dash of RPG's and RTS's....  Like the cherry switch itself, it all comes down to personal preference!

I'm of the opinion that Blue's are a great first cherry switch...  It's strikes the perfect balance between tactility and force actuation and the furthest from rubberdomes so you get the idea right from the start.  Saying that though... I can understand that the audible click of the blue's is not for everyone but I love the sound of my blue's. :)

Edit: oh yeah... Just to be aware... the LED on the Shining is hella bright!  I've got them in blue LED's and I don't ever go past the 2nd lighting lvl.  My friend however cranks his up to the maximum!  Don't know how he handles it but he tells me it lights up his room! lol  So I reckon if you want a board that'll light up your room go for the WHite! Otherwise I reckon the red's your best bet!  Goodluck in your choices and have fun with your new board!
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 February 2012, 16:30:46 by Kamikaze K »
TOPRE REALFORCE 87U

Offline Adude

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 16:47:15 »
That would be a mighty costly desklamp - almost 200 bucks (with shipping). :) Thanks for input Kamikaze K, I am most likely gonna go with blues. Still deciding between white and red backlighting though.

Offline Kamikaze K

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 16:55:26 »
Quote from: Adude;511263
That would be a mighty costly desklamp - almost 200 bucks (with shipping). :) Thanks for input Kamikaze K, I am most likely gonna go with blues. Still deciding between white and red backlighting though.

Lol. Yeah it would probably the most expensive desk lamp huh?  But on the bright side... it's multi purpose! Like I said... I'd probably go for the red LED's... The white just looks too fluorescent lightish for my likin'.  But! when in doubt, have a look at what other lighting colours are on you PC and pick the one that best matches!  They also come in green LED's just to let you know....

$200??  Where are you located?
TOPRE REALFORCE 87U

Offline Adude

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 17:50:58 »
Quote from: Kamikaze K;511273
Lol. Yeah it would probably the most expensive desk lamp huh?  But on the bright side... it's multi purpose! Like I said... I'd probably go for the red LED's... The white just looks too fluorescent lightish for my likin'.  But! when in doubt, have a look at what other lighting colours are on you PC and pick the one that best matches!  They also come in green LED's just to let you know....

$200??  Where are you located?

Europe. And I don't like green. I like red and white seems neutral, so these are my only choices pretty much. :) Other lights are from my mouse and headphones, these are blue (...of course...), I've no other lights (no fancy fans or whatever, they are costly :P).