Author Topic: Unicomp 122-key keyboards  (Read 2454 times)

Offline tchuladdiass

Unicomp 122-key keyboards
« on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 20:18:25 »
I've read some of the past threads on the Unicomp 122-key keyboards, and it appears that the consensus is that in order to get all the scancodes, that requires either the 3270 or 5250 Emulator keyboards (not the PC/5250, which is shifted codes, or the Terminal ones, which is for an actual IBM mainframe terminal).  There were also some references to a jumper on the keyboard controller which could affect the mode, but the references I came across here were second-hand.  So I'm planning on ordering the 5250 Emulator model (which they don't have on their main page, but it is an option in the custom keyboards drop down).

So here's a couple questions that I have.  First, is there any high resolution pictures of the 3270 and 5250 Unicomp keyboards anywhere?  I saw on one of the threads a  Boscomp version (which was an OEM Unicomp keyboard), but I'd like confirmation that it is the same as the Unicomp model.  Also, I'd like to compare the key layout between the 3270 and 5250.  My primary goal is to have as many keys as possible come close to the standard PC keyboard positions (so the 5250 has the Esc key toward the left, whereas I think the 3270 has it in one of the right-hand clusters).

Secondly, all the references I've seen so far show a vertical Enter key.  It appears that on most of the Model M 101-key keyboards (both IBM and Unicomp), that this configuration can be changed by moving one of the hammer/springs and replacing the Enter and backslash/pipe keys.  Would Unicomp normally include this variation under their customization services?

Also, I've seen the full data sheet for the PC/5250 model (with scan codes), but not for the 3270 or 5250 Emulator models.  The only data sheet they have for the Emulator models just includes a rough sketch of the key layout, but it doesn't look too clear or fully detailed.  Hence, I was looking for pictures, plus if possible a list of scancodes that are produced with these two models.

One other minor wishlist item, I'd like to get a 122-key with APL keycaps, but Unicomp doesn't list that as an option.  I'd imagine that if they are able to do the horizontal Enter key combination, they could pop their standard APL keycaps on.  It would also be nice to get Greek symbols (for math input) on the keys too.  But I don't think Unicomp will do custom key printing for a one-off order.

BTW, the reason I'm looking at these options is I'm starting to get into APL programming, and am working on writing an interpreter for a slight variation of APL (to include Lambda's, Algebraic precedence rules, etc).  And so far I'm going to need a few Greek input characters for some of my extended operators.  A second project, where the 122-key would come in handy, is to mess around with the Hercules mainframe emulator.  But one thing at a time, of course.  (I think what I'm trying to get is a modern rendition of the Symbolics Space Cadet keyboard, which has APL and Greek inputs, along with enough modifiers to keep Emacs happy.)

Offline tchuladdiass

Unicomp 122-key keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 16:40:44 »
I just heard back from Unicomp, and yes they can make the 122 key with a horizontal Enter.  And with that option, that opens them up to being able to include their APL keycaps.  At first, the guy's script said they can't do APL on the 122-key, but I think that was only due to the vertical enter (one of the APL keys is on the pipe/backslash key).

Now I just have to decide if I want the extra key between the left Shift and the Z key, or if I should request a standard sized left shift.  If I end up keeping that extra key, any ideas what I should map to it?  Maybe make it an extra modifier key for Emacs or something?  Maybe I should make it a Tilde/Backtick key, and have the key left of 1 the Escape key.