Author Topic: Help me pick a chair?  (Read 17639 times)

Offline aynjell

Help me pick a chair?
« on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 14:35:10 »
hey guys, I'm looking for a nice budget friendly chair for my desk. I play a lot of starcraft 2, and quakelive, so I'm very active. I'm 280lbs, so I would ideally want a chair rated for 300lbs, but most chairs rated for 250 hold my weight fine enough. That said, they usually last somewhere in the 2-3 year range.

I'm not exactly wanting to spend a fortune, but I'd like a chair that holds my weight, and is ergonomically better than your typical 150$ pleather chair. I'd like to keep it under 300$, but if something really special is available for a small bit more I'd consider it.
Das Keyboard Professional -mx blue- @ Work
Das Keyboard S Ultimate Silent -mx brown- @ Home

Do not fart in the same room as a dark brother or sister, to do so is to invoke the wrath of Sithis...

Offline Supertoaster

Help me pick a chair?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 11:54:30 »
Go to a store and sit in different ones then
 buy the one thats most  comfortable.

Offline aynjell

Help me pick a chair?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 15:08:25 »
None of the local stores have chairs worth a damn that support my weight. It's solid advise for most.

Do not fart in the same room as a dark brother or sister, to do so is to invoke the wrath of Sithis...

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Help me pick a chair?
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 15:16:21 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 13:40:25 by davkol »

Offline minnus

Help me pick a chair?
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 18:11:12 »
Personally, I'd invest in a decent chair that can last you for more than a year. I don't know about you, but because I sit on my chair for extended periods of times - the cushion flattens, and you're basically sitting on a flat surface after about a year. Chairs of these quality typically cost around 50-200. Which means one could be spending anywhere from 150 to 600 after 3 to 6 years. I bought myself a SteelCase Leap and it still sits like the day I bought it about 3 years ago. Course, I paid $600 for it.

Offline Maxy

Help me pick a chair?
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 25 February 2012, 17:47:11 »
At work I use a Knoll Life chair. Fairly expensive. Love it, but the pneumatic cylinder collapsed after about a year. While covered under warranty I'm sure it was a hassle to ship back to the manufacturer for repair. (Fortunately, there is staff to deal with it.)

For home I bought a Tempur-Pedic chair from Staples. AFAIK, it's the only chair with a memory foam cushion. Not nearly as well made as a premium chair, but I find it quite comfortable and it was $200 in the store. They have 3 models to choose from: http://www.staples.com/Tempur-Pedic-TP8000-Ergonomic-Mesh-Mid-Back-Task-Chair-Black/product-nr_324599
http://www.staples.com/Tempur-Pedic-TP8000-Ergonomic-Mesh-Mid-Back-Task-Chair-Black/product-nr_324599

Offline Thagarr

• Pirates Ahoy!
Help me pick a chair?
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 05:53:47 »
I had the same problem aynjell, I used to go and buy a new one about once a year, I literally looked for years online before I finally found a decent chair. I actually considered buying one of the chairs that minnus did, but I just couldn't justify laying out that kind of cash. I Finally ran across a decent alternative a couple of years ago on Wal-Mart's online store. I am no fan of Wal-Mart, and most of the time I avoid them like the plague, I was able to find it elsewhere online but they had the best price on this chair that I could find anywhere. This thing is steel, and very solidly built, I have had mine for 2 years now and it is still rock solid and the cushion has not flattened a bit.

Have a look HERE

Offline kps

Help me pick a chair?
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 09:39:39 »
Quote from: aynjell;523388
That said, they usually last somewhere in the 2-3 year range. [...]  I'd like to keep it under 300$
Think of it as $100 - $150/year — then get a good fully adjustable chair with a long warranty. A Steelcase Leap (300lb) should be under $75/year; even a Leap Plus (500lb) would be under $100/year.

Offline Roguemaster8

Help me pick a chair?
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 17:13:08 »
Facing same issue as OP, the deflating cushion is literally a pain in the ass. The link Thagarr provided is intriguing though, I just wonder how the microfiber feels on your arms after a few hours.
CM Storm Quickfire | Dell Quietkey | Unicomp Ultra Classic | KBC Poker

Offline Thagarr

• Pirates Ahoy!
Help me pick a chair?
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 05:14:53 »
I understand what your getting at with that argument kps, but there are quite a few of us out there that simply can not afford to make that kind of commitment. When your living paycheck to paycheck, even $300 is pushing it!

Roguemaster8, the back and seat are microfiber, but the arm rests are foam rubber, very soft and quite comfortable for extended periods of time. Usually after about a year on a cheap computer chair I have busted loose one or both of the arms and screwed up the base or back in some way, but this thing is still rock solid. It's pretty easy to assemble if you have assembled a chair before, I had no problems at all.

Offline shawn o

Help me pick a chair?
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 11:51:31 »
Look on Craigslist in your area. You can pick up used Herman Miller Aeron chairs for $300 or less. I've bought two on there and never paid more than $350.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Help me pick a chair?
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 13:56:43 »
Quote from: Thagarr;530620
I understand what your getting at with that argument kps, but there are quite a few of us out there that simply can not afford to make that kind of commitment. When your living paycheck to paycheck, even $300 is pushing it!

I know how this is. Solution: save up. Seriously, skimping on a chair because the one you actually want costs another hundred? You're already sitting on a bad chair. You can tough it out :)
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline emptyk

Help me pick a chair?
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 16:39:49 »
Steelcase Leap for sure.  $700 for a chair is nothing compared to $70,000 for back surgery.

Offline isp

Help me pick a chair?
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 17:23:58 »
lol ...they'll get you to pay anything if they tie it to health

ITS A MEDICAL INVESTMENT NOW
hhkb

Offline BiNiaRiS

Help me pick a chair?
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 02:20:56 »
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 42635[/ATTACH]
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline Roguemaster8

Help me pick a chair?
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 02:33:07 »
I'm still looking for one, I just want a comfortable cushion that won't deflate in 6 months.
Ergonomics come second to butt comfort.

Offline aynjell

Help me pick a chair?
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 13:25:18 »
Quote from: Thagarr;530620

Roguemaster8, the back and seat are microfiber, but the arm rests are foam rubber, very soft and quite comfortable for extended periods of time. Usually after about a year on a cheap computer chair I have busted loose one or both of the arms and screwed up the base or back in some way, but this thing is still rock solid. It's pretty easy to assemble if you have assembled a chair before, I had no problems at all.

I'm now very curious about this chair. :D

Offline godofdeath

Help me pick a chair?
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 14:30:01 »
herman miller aeron

is all i can say

Offline Maxy

Help me pick a chair?
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 23:55:18 »
Check out Staples. They have a new line of chairs with Tempurpedic cushions. It's the only place you can buy them. 3 to choose from for about $220.

Offline Roguemaster8

Help me pick a chair?
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 08:03:24 »
I looked at the chairs on the Walmart site, turns out they have issues with the chair pneumatic lever holding up so it sinks. Call me cheap, but Herman Miller chairs are nice and all, just not $2000 and up nice.

The Termpurpedic cushions look interesting, I may have to drive into town to try those out.

Offline Snarfangel

Help me pick a chair?
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 06 March 2012, 09:50:45 »
Quote from: Roguemaster8;536784
I looked at the chairs on the Walmart site, turns out they have issues with the chair pneumatic lever holding up so it sinks. Call me cheap, but Herman Miller chairs are nice and all, just not $2000 and up nice.

The Termpurpedic cushions look interesting, I may have to drive into town to try those out.

Let us know how you like them. I am quite curious myself.

Offline GODJOEY

• Site
Help me pick a chair?
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 11:49:25 »
Best chair I ever owned has been the Herman Miller Aeron. Got it off craigslist for $300 lasted me years no wear I would have already gone through a few $150 brick and mortar store chairs. My weight varies from 230's to 260's. Problem is you may never want to get out of this chair it's so comfortable =). If you are need a 300lb rated seat look for their C class. Excellent feel plus it lets you breathe since it's like a hammock net feel.

Offline Roguemaster8

Help me pick a chair?
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 12:02:13 »
Quote from: Snarfangel;536832
Let us know how you like them. I am quite curious myself.

I have had the TP9000 model for the past 2 weeks now and it is definitely one of the best chairs I have sat in. Very comfortable and so far, very sturdy. I did order the 3 year warranty with it however because for $300, any problems with the cushion or the armrests would piss me off to no end. If anyone else is interested, I could possibly do a full review in a couple days.

Offline captain

Help me pick a chair?
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 12:07:37 »
Herman Miller, hands down... Doesn't have to be aeron, but those are nice. Costco has a good one for relatively cheap.

Oh. 280lbs!?!!  Diet and exercise?  ;-P

You may want to consider a very sturdy basic wooden chair, and a memory foam pillow.  This should be perfect.  Get the armless one for typing at a desk.

http://www.amishretail.com/modestodiningchair.aspx

Or here's a thought.
http://www.officechairsoutlet.com/product-p/b990.htm
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 March 2012, 12:15:06 by captain »
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.