Author Topic: Alternative to Autohotkeys on a mac?  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Aranair

• Software Engineer @ PocketMath
    • Tech blog
Alternative to Autohotkeys on a mac?
« on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 21:11:37 »
Hey guys, I have been testing out autohotkeys on my PC to tryout the layout that is on the HHKB. (credits to ripster's script)

But after getting slightly used to it on my PC for general usage over the weekends, I'm back on my mac for my web development and I cant seem to find something that is of a similar nature as AHK that is updated. IronAHK for example, all their links on the AHK forums are gone  and Keymapformac doesn't seem to do enough ( I don't think its set out to do the same at all but I could be wrong)

Does anyone have any recommendations or any thoughts on this? Or I'm just stuck with buying the hhkb for my mac?

Thanks in advance (:

Present  : HHKB Pro 2 Type-S White | HHKB Pro 2 White Blank | Ergodox EZ
Past      :  Poker 2 Brown | Black Widow Ultimate Blue | Filco TKL Brown

Offline metafour

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 22:18:00 »
Keyremap4macbook allows you to do lots of remapping with the private.xml file. Not sure what you're after.

Offline Aranair

• Software Engineer @ PocketMath
    • Tech blog
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 04:11:23 »
Eh, haven't seen that anywhere after installing it. i'll go re-read the files mmm. Thanks!

Present  : HHKB Pro 2 Type-S White | HHKB Pro 2 White Blank | Ergodox EZ
Past      :  Poker 2 Brown | Black Widow Ultimate Blue | Filco TKL Brown

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 11:06:25 »
Quote from: Aranair;528795
Or I'm just stuck with buying the hhkb for my mac?

If it's just for remapping, then there are already some stuff that can be configured easily in the OS X preferences if I'm not mistaken (like changing alt/apple to meta or whatever) and then if you want to do more complicated remappings, you could try "Ukelele".

Another GH'er here suggested Ukelele and indeed: I've used Ukelele to add polish characters on my girlfriend's AZERTY MacBook.

Depending on what you need to do, this may be sufficient.  Now that said AHK does much, much more than simply remap keys...
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline metafour

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 11:24:18 »
Quote from: Aranair;529180
Eh, haven't seen that anywhere after installing it. i'll go re-read the files mmm. Thanks!

It lives in ~/Library/Application Support/KeyRemap4MacBook/

You can access it through the Misc & Uninstall option in the Preferences for the app. There some documentation on the app's website for how to format the entries in that file.