Author Topic: What the heck has happened to Linux?  (Read 24688 times)

Offline captain

What the heck has happened to Linux?
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 17 April 2012, 22:21:58 »
FreeBSD has ZFS?!?  Time to change oases again.
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline blert

« Reply #151 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 10:50:25 »
Completely coincidentally ran into this today (from the planet.ubuntu.com twitter feed) :  Install ZFS on Debian GNU/Linux .

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #152 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 11:30:45 »
Is there any real advantage to running ZFS if you're a desktop user?

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #153 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 11:32:38 »
Quote from: Daniel Beaver;577980
Is there any real advantage to running ZFS if you're a desktop user?
Likely, no, unless you run a complex / high capacity RAID in your desktop.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #154 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 14:44:47 »
The only real advantage as a desktop user can be gotten w/ LVM and that is snap-shotting for backups and upgrades.  Then if you want RAID, md as well.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Gawkbasher

« Reply #155 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 14:51:47 »
I'm not much a fan of Ubuntu at all either.

It's always been said that if you know Slackware, you know Linux and this is still true today.  I'm not going to proselytize  because it's still a minority of us that run Slack but if you truly want  to learn the ins and outs of Linux, installing, setting up and  maintaining Slackware will accomplish that.  Everything else is just  some flavor of Linux, with distro-specific quirks and ways of doing  things.  This is especially true of Ubuntu.  I guess ultimately it's a  difference of perspective/need.  If you want to learn Linux for professional environments, learn RHEL/CentOS and/or Debian.  Both are fantastic.  If you want a fun desktop Linux to play with, I would actually probably push you towards Sabayon, which is fantastic.  If your goal is just to learn Linux, Slackware is a great starting point.  A distribution is more a tool or specific mindset for what you want your Linux to do...

And as far as my choice of window manager, I'm a true neckbeard...I use fluxbox.  KDE isn't bad I guess.
I run Slackware (personal fun) & Debian (personal work) primarily, have had to use CentOS for work and get a lot of use out of both Sabayon and Liberté.  I've given some time to working on smaller, niche Linux projects like GoboLinux.

P.S.  Gnome blows. ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 April 2012, 14:57:10 by Gawkbasher »
Topre Realforce 87U 45g / Logitech G9x / Razer Scarab
KBC Poker X (Blue)
/ KBC Poker X (Red)

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #156 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 14:57:12 »
I started on Slackware and floppies, but it's not the only distro that you can learn Linux on.  RH and Ubuntu are definitely quirky and try to hold your hand too much.  I'm running Gentoo everywhere because I only want to deal with 1 distro at a time and Gentoo does what I need on the server side.  It's easy to be bleeding edge on anything necessary and easy to get PostgreSQL support on everything.  I hear Arch is a nice alternative to Gentoo but I haven't dug any deeper.

I used fluxbox for a while... Don't even remember why I switched, it was probably some incompatibility w something esoteric I use.  I'm back on fvwm but still looking for something more.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Gawkbasher

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 15:01:26 »
Quote from: alaricljs;578178
I used fluxbox for a while... Don't even remember why I switched, it was probably some incompatibility w something esoteric I use.  I'm back on fvwm but still looking for something more.

I ran into some occasional weirdness like that with fluxbox.  I just patched a fix. :D

Fluxbox will have to be ripped off my computers over my dead body.

Also, Gentoo users should give Sabayon a shot. ;)
Topre Realforce 87U 45g / Logitech G9x / Razer Scarab
KBC Poker X (Blue)
/ KBC Poker X (Red)

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #158 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 15:07:00 »
Pretty happy with MATE right now.  A few quirks, but I'm at 99% productivity on my main workstation.  I'm using Cinnamon on my Macbook Pro.  It's got approximately the work flow of GNOME2 with the bugginess of GNOME Shell.  :)  Not quite ready for production, IMO.
Russ

Offline sordna

« Reply #159 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 15:39:14 »
I happy with XFCE. It's a fairly lightweight, easy to use desktop, with the right amount of features and plugins. Plays well with compiz too if you want zoom desktop, rotating cube, etc.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #160 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 16:20:25 »
Xfce 4.8 almost meets my needs/wants.  I make fairly heavy use of panels and find some of the missing features annoying.  It doesn't sound like they added much in the way of features to 4.10, but they did improve Thunar (which is kind of buggy).  It will ultimately fill the hole left by GNOME2, IMO, while LXDE fills the super-lightweight desktop gap that Xfce is leaving behind it.
Russ

Offline sordna

« Reply #161 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 16:29:54 »
Quote from: rknize;578241
Xfce 4.8 almost meets my needs/wants.  I make fairly heavy use of panels and find some of the missing features annoying.

Care to elaborate on the missing features you are referring to?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline zeDoktor

• http://www.hexomega.com
« Reply #162 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 16:54:20 »
I've used XFCE and Fluxbox (old school) to moderate success but Gnome 2 was always the best for me. I hate Gnome 3 and Unity so much that I made the jump to KDE in my VM.
SteelSeries 6Gv2 / Razer DeathAdder Black  / CM Storm QuickFire Rapid / Logitech G5 BF2142 / Microsoft Sidewinder X4 / Rosewill RK-9000 White / Anker 8200

Offline keebler64

« Reply #163 on: Thu, 26 April 2012, 16:31:50 »
Quote from: sordna;565655
I know! I always hunted for modems with rockwell UART, that's why I said Multitech is a brand whose modems always worked with Linux. It's an exceptional brand, they never made winmodems. Apart form their old ISA modems, even their PCI and later PCI-E and now USB modems work with Linux. Small but awesome company for modems and VOIP devices.

Gotta say, working for a company that has deployed hundreds of Multitechs (routefinders, etc), I hate, HATE, HATE them as a router when their soldered on battery fails and they dump the entire router configuration, and DHCP stops working. They're fine if the people managing them are intelligent enough to troubleshoot, but horrible when you're reselling them, and expecting them to work for 3-10 years without fail and monitor/repair them remotely. In the last year we had a flood of Multitech Deaths, we have since been replacing them all with standard Cisco RV042 Small Business (aka Linksys) boxes (which also run Linux), much faster/easier to replace. With the exception that their web-admin interface usually only works with IE in the newest firmware on Windows, (Works fine on iPad/Safari, and Mozilla on Redhat).

I skipped to the end of this thread after reading the first two pages.

As far as the OP, and every other *nix contributor. I'm with the opinion, if you like Ubuntu, use it, just remove Unity and install whatever DE/Window Manager you prefer. For my Unix-Derived OS, I prefer FreeBSD w/ Fluxbox, and obviously OS X (I'm one of the few people I know that use Terminal on a daily basis. :D ). I also run a multi-user VM with 50 RedHat Servers, as well as install RedHat on many IBMs. That's the beauty of any *nix OS. There's a flavor for everyone, it just requires finding a solution that works well, and implementing it. It's been 6 years since I've installed Ubuntu (helped the Distro/Flubuntu put their distro together), but you should still be able to install it how you want at boot.

(As I write this, I'm installing FreeBSD 9 via Boot-only/Netinstall on my Work PC (my company "forces" use of Windows 7, when the majority of your "Phone Support" is 60+ Women, simple is best.)
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 April 2012, 16:36:24 by keebler64 »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #164 on: Thu, 26 April 2012, 17:48:47 »
Quote from: keebler64;583103
when the majority of your "Phone Support" is 60+ Women, simple is best

Get the **** outta here with that.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline keebler64

« Reply #165 on: Thu, 26 April 2012, 22:46:23 »
Quote from: sth;583179
Get the **** outta here with that.

Sorry, I meant to say, "60+ year old women". We actually have 4 over 60, 1 at 48. The rest are guys. It's a niche company. But everyone can use SCO/Red Hat in some form or another.

Offline PieterGen

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 22 May 2012, 05:34:02 »
Many Linux/distro discussions are actually about Desktop Environments and Window Managers.  There is an interesting comparison of Window Managers at the Crunchbang Forum:

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic/18273/30-window-managers-in-30-days/