Author Topic: Found a downtrodden Focus FK-2001 - I want to restore it, but where do I begin?  (Read 5635 times)

Offline 8key

I'll preface this by saying this is my first foray into mechanical (unless we're counting childhood), so forgive any naivete.

Here she is: http://i.imgur.com/JLULX.png

Six bucks. As you can see, I like a challenge.

I guess the most important thing here is finding replacement keys. For now, I've poached some numpad keycaps to fill in the blanks. I noticed other keyboards at the shop had the same keys missing, so some doofus must have yanked them off... god only knows why.

Where would I begin here? Anyone have a dead FK-2001 and wants to do some business?

Also, are the sales of ALPS keycaps history? My initial internet hunt for vendors with ALPS caps has turned up very little.

I'm typing on it now to test functionality, but it's in dire need of a bath. Any cleaning methods I should particularly avoid? So far I've planned for soap, water, and maybe some Magic Eraser action.

Once I get this thing back in operation, I'll share results.

Thanks!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Be careful about cleaning the switches. Take it apart and clean the parts separately.

I have cleaned a couple of Focus 2001s and the keys and boards came out pretty well, I think there was one that retained a fair amount of yellow but at least it was uniform.

Use powdered laundry detergent and booster like Biz or Oxi-Clean in hot water.

Apple Extended Keyboard II is the best bet for parts, they are very common and cheap. They have a wimpy italic font, so they won't match. Otherwise find a cheap Dell 101, that might be a better match. Bigass enter key and right shift will be a problem if you don't like it, but at least backspace is the right size.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Jamesbeat

I got the same keyboard in mint condition for $4, so first of all, I'd just like to gloat a little :)

I love this keyboard, and it's definitely worth restoring. It makes me sad when I read about people gutting them for parts.

I have yet to try it (on an Apple Extended II that I just bought) but if you search for 'retrobrite', you'll find lots of info about restoring yellowed plastic. The short version is to forget about all of the other chemicals and use the strongest peroxide you can find.
I picked up some 40 vol, which I believe is 12% from a drugstore, sold as a hair 'developer' or something.

Mine doesn't need any switches replacing but I took it apart out of curiosity, and it looks easy to service if you can solder.

I don't know about regular keycaps, but I know for a fact that Signature Plastics makes red esc. keycaps for ALPS, as I bought one about a week ago.
The 'skirt' of the key is a tad short, but not enough to make it look bad.
Maybe shoot them an email and ask if they can help you with the other keys too? Can't hurt to ask...
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 March 2012, 21:49:56 by Jamesbeat »

Offline 8key

Signature Plastics replied and said they've got nothing on hand - except escape keys, I guess.

Right now I'm making due with:

8 for W
9 for O
5 for B

Tis an unholy beast. But a joy to type on until I come across my next find.

Jamesbeat, from your avatar it seems like you were able to remove the "2001" symbol from your board - how?

Offline Magna224

He just flipped it upside down. If you press on the top part of it it will pop up.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline 8key

Quote from: Magna224;536970
He just flipped it upside down. If you press on the top part of it it will pop up.

Ahh - I've been poking and prodding at it, but it doesn't want to budge. I haven't found anything sharp enough to wedge it open without marring the plastic.

Offline 8key

Quote from: ripster;537848
See instructions to open in my Sig.  F3 Focus.

Already had it bookmarked - waiting for a rainy day.

Offline 8key

PS, Ripster - let me know when you're ready to loan me your W, O, B, and 7 keys - I'll return them in short order, I promise.

Offline Snarfangel

Quote from: 8key;532572
I guess the most important thing here is finding replacement keys. For now, I've poached some numpad keycaps to fill in the blanks. I noticed other keyboards at the shop had the same keys missing, so some doofus must have yanked them off... god only knows why.

I notice the keys that are missing are Dubya and B.O. You don't happen to work at the White House, do you?

Offline 8key

Oxyclean, Peroxide, Magic Eraser, Elbow grease.

Shame about the missing keys, but otherwise in working order.

Those three big clips on the back were sort of infuriating.

Offline 8key

Oh, and you can see I snapped off a bit of plastic while in there - the support for the ground wire screw. Not critical, thankfully.

Offline Ascaii

that red escape key looks delicious. Keep your eyes open for old vintage boards, there are some out there with alps compatible caps.
Here is one of my finds:
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline Jamesbeat

Regarding removal/reversing of the 2001 logo, there's actually a hole on the inside that allows you to poke a thin tool through and pop the logo out.
I initially did it this way, and after examining the cavity where the logo sits, realised that I could also remove it by pressing the top edge with my thumb.
The edge of the logo is finished like the rest of the case, and it has a blank smooth rectangle in the middle. My guess is that it was intended to be a place where a reseller could place a sticker with their own logo.

P.S. Your keyboard looks great now, such a shame about the missing keys.
If I were you, I'd set a custom search on ebay and place insultingly low bids on beat-up FK-2001's until I got lucky.
You'd probably end up paying double what this board cost, but you'd end up with an almost complete set of spare keycaps and switches to keep that board running forever.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 March 2012, 23:01:20 by Jamesbeat »

Offline 8key

Yeah, managed to pop the logo piece out while the casing was apart so I could clean it. At first, the 2001 logo seemed weird and hokey, but it's growing on me.

It's a shame Signature Plastics doesn't do ALPS anymore, save for the escape keys. I'd even be happy with a blank set or something.

The going rate for these on ebay seems awfully high, but if I could find a similarly busted up / cheap model with the keys I need, I'd definitely jump.

Offline 8key

I got the same keyboard in mint condition for $4, so first of all, I'd just like to gloat a little :)

Sorry to bump an ancient thread, but I just found another FK-2001, in good shape, for $3. Threeeee dollars! With all the keycaps, even!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
$3? Send it to Mike48. He'll refurbish it, then sell it back to you for your best offer over $650.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
CHECK&ETAM SIR

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
That's a decent price!  Most of the ones I've accumulated have cost me between $10 and $30, but I did get one Dell AT101 with a black case for $3. 

You can always keep an eye on eBay for older Toshiba laptops, they used Alps switches and the keycaps can be pretty nice.  Not a full set, of course, but at least the 37-key main area.

Offline 8key

Duly noted re: Toshiba laptops. Sure would be fun if someone was making blank ALPS sets.

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
How are you finding the switches? And are they genuine Alps, or clones? And the second one, is that blue or white Alps, or clones?
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline 8key

They're genuine Alps white, just like my first find (in the first post). They are a delight.

Alps question: are the different color Alps switches all the same shape? Could I poach keys from any other keyboard with Alps switches?

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
They're genuine Alps white, just like my first find (in the first post). They are a delight.

Alps question: are the different color Alps switches all the same shape? Could I poach keys from any other keyboard with Alps switches?

I'm hesitant to make declarative sentences about switches, since I am a complete noob compared to folks here, but I believe keycaps from all Alps (the common switches used in Focus keyboards) are interchangeable. 

The link below has the low-down on vintage Toshiba laptops, btw.  I also found an interesting Alps caps set on an old Sharp "luggable" portable computer, the kind that look like Dolch PAC units.  Model number was PC 7241.

http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8/toshiba-t3100-t5200-t4711.html

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle

So long as you mean the Alps SKCL/SKCM ("CM") series—the ones people usually mean when they say "Alps"—yes. The keycaps are also interchangeable with Alps clones, various other Alps switch types, KPT/TEC, Omron B3G-S series, SMK "Monterey", Monterey dome sliders and others besides.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline 8key

I'm hesitant to make declarative sentences about switches, since I am a complete noob compared to folks here, but I believe keycaps from all Alps (the common switches used in Focus keyboards) are interchangeable. 

The link below has the low-down on vintage Toshiba laptops, btw.  I also found an interesting Alps caps set on an old Sharp "luggable" portable computer, the kind that look like Dolch PAC units.  Model number was PC 7241.

http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8/toshiba-t3100-t5200-t4711.html

oof, those grey/orange Sharp keys... gotta find some.