Author Topic: A nifty piece of software for you night owls  (Read 2008 times)

Offline vurt

• achiever
    • j-beck.net
A nifty piece of software for you night owls
« on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 22:11:48 »
I thought I would make this post to plug a piece of software I've been using for a while that has helped me reduce eyestrain at night and just generally enhances your screen while computing at night. It's called "F.lux", and it's pretty cool. It determines where you are in the world [via ZIP code] and "warms" the color of your screen at night to "match the lighting of the room your in." Just something worth checking out if you are up all night like me!

Link
Filco MJ2 Ninja | IBM Model M 1391401

Offline ReAzem

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 22:14:02 »
Would use if I wasn't a gamer

Offline vurt

• achiever
    • j-beck.net
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 22:16:33 »
I play games quite a bit...when you run fullscreen apps it shuts itself off =]

Offline modulor

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 22:20:22 »
I have 2 led strips behind my monitor to create 'bias lighting' which makes viewing a monitor in low light easier on the eyes.

http://lifehacker.com/195712/diy-budget-bias-monitor-lighting

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/08/bias-lighting.ars
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 March 2012, 22:22:28 by modulor »

Offline vurt

• achiever
    • j-beck.net
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 22:39:49 »
Interesting...I just put my desklight behind my monitor...kinda ghetto but we'll see how it goes. Gonna have to make a trip to Menards tomorrow I think...thanks for those links! =]

Offline roaduck

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 March 2012, 22:36:11 »
Thanks a million for the link vurt - it's a wonderful little proggy - great idea and totally automatic!
BS : IBM 1391406
Other keyboards - don\'t ask

Offline vurt

• achiever
    • j-beck.net
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 March 2012, 13:04:58 »
Glad I could help sir!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 March 2012, 13:14:20 »
My friend had this installed on our house computer and it freaked me out the first time I used it around sunset. I thought his monitors were going bad. I swear by it now though, although the bias lighting looks awesome. I may do this as I start re-working my desk area.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 March 2012, 13:41:29 »
Big fan of F.lux, been using it since last year.  Wish I would have found it earlier!

I was real skeptical of the program since I was used to having calibrated monitors and working on projects that required immaculate color reproduction.  Prior to this, I just had a generic bias lighting setup similar to the ones posted earlier in the thread.  When I found out that there was an option in f.lux to disable the adjusted color temperature when necessary, I fell in love.  It's been most helpful at night, since my setup is in the same room as the bedroom; wife and baby need to sleep without having to be kept awake with dual-monitor white light.  (The mechanical keyboard is another story; browns with O-Rings have gained my wife's approval.  She said it's better with the O-Rings than without... that was a literal nightmare for her.)  Eye-strain has been reduced quite a bit from using the program.  I set my monitors to the "slow" transition so as to not be entirely drastic when switching over in 20s.

I play quite a bit of SC2 and the adjusted light transfers itself over, though I am running SC2 in Windowed Mode (Fullscreen).  Haven't tried going full-screen and seeing if F.lux still runs properly.

Highly recommended app (for those who do not need color accuracy.  And if you do, you can always disable F.lux during that time)!
find me on twitter: @sawedust
starcraft 2 related blog: QuanticSawe.851
QuanticGaming.com

Offline vurt

• achiever
    • j-beck.net
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 March 2012, 15:21:49 »
F.lux + ghetto bias lighting + WASD MX Red = winning.

I play SC2 as well and I have noticed that when I exit game the brightness adjusts back to the "halogen" effect of Flux, and I also run in Windowed Fullscreen, so IDK why yours doesn't act the same.