Author Topic: Acer 6312 observations  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
Acer 6312 observations
« on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 20:47:45 »
Model No: Acer 6312-TW
Extension No: (whatever that means) 4U
Serial No: K6375121676S

Used, from Captain Hat (Computers for Africa)

[*]Acer black switches
    [*]The base of the keyboard is made of sheet metal, which is cute but weird
    [*]The left and right Windows keys are not the same size, as the right-hand meta keys are all smaller than their left-hand-side relatives
    [*]Pretty much the best serious "vintage" mechanical sound of any keyboard (blue ALPS are more resonant though)
    [*]Keycaps appear to be dye sub, jet black legends in a very elegant typeface
    [*]Two sets of feet for different height adjustment
    [/LIST]

What is it like to type on? It sounds really good – the sound is more "proper" than Unicomp buckling spring, and has a good mechanical sound to it. However, in terms of feel, it contradicts everything I've ever read about Acer switches. There's no dome sensation at all – it feels 100% mechanical. My summary would be that it feels like a slightly lighter simplified ALPS type II "XM" switch. Oh yes …

I'm not sure what's more annoying, Acer or XM.

Undithered Ripometer tests put it slightly below XM ALPS in weight, which seems about right. For a double control I've tested my FILCO Zero XM (pretty much unused), the Acer, and my FILCO Majestouch blue, using 20 pence pieces (therefore 5 g granularity). I've tested a variety of switches. Esc I did twice, mostly because I got an absurdly superstiffy reading from the XM at 90 g! The blues came in at the most consistent. I also included the force needed to make the MX blue switches drop half way (there is a point around 37 g where the switch drops but doesn't actuate yet); this distribution of force is partly what gives them their smoother feeling.

[table=align: left]
    [tr]
       [td]Keyboard[/td]
       [td]Switch[/td]
       [td]Esc[/td]
       [td]Up[/td]
       [td]F1[/td]
       [td]E[/td]
       [td]Esc 2[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
       [td]FILCO Zero TKL (barely used)[/td]
       [td]XM white clicky ALPS[/td]
       [td]90 g[/td]
       [td]75 g[/td]
       [td]80 g[/td]
       [td]80 g[/td]
       [td]95 g[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
       [td]Acer 6312-TW (used)[/td]
       [td]Acer black[/td]
       [td]65 g[/td]
       [td]65 g[/td]
       [td]70 g[/td]
       [td]75 g[/td]
       [td][/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
       [td]FILCO Majestouch 105 (used)[/td]
       [td]Cherry MX blue[/td]
       [td]60 g[/td]
       [td]60 g[/td]
       [td]60 g[/td]
       [td]65 g[/td]
       [td]75 g[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
       [td]Maj. blue first drop[/td]
       [td][/td]
       [td]40 g[/td]
       [td]35 g[/td]
       [td]40 g[/td]
       [td]35 g[/td]
       [td][/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

I was also using my Tactile Pro 3 earlier, and after all the Acer testing I didn't even get any fatigue from the switches, and they felt silky smooth and light compared to the Acer. The down side is that the Fukka switches in it have a cheap, tinny sound; the keyboard lacks the aural gravitas expected of proper mechanical switches. The Acer 6312 really does sound the part, but it's intended for people who think XM is a good switch!

So yeah, Acer managed to copy the very worst switch ever to bear the ALPS name :P

[/HR]

TL;DR: Black Acer switches are like slightly lighter XM ALPS
    « Last Edit: Tue, 13 March 2012, 20:49:35 by Daniel Beardsmore »
    Bore Awards
    Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner