Author Topic: Best mouse for MMORPG?  (Read 4254 times)

Offline Dean Fry

Best mouse for MMORPG?
« on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 17:33:10 »
Greetings

I would like your opinions on what is the best mouse for MMORPG's. To add more detail, I am going to be playing Guild Wars 2 and I have big hands (my hand covers the Deathadder but cannot reach wheel scroll as fingers are too long) so I really need a big mouse for my hand to use.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Best mouse for MMORPG?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 19:32:59 »
Well, I don't game myself. I did, however, notice that our screen names are quite close. Is there any correlation?

Offline Dean Fry

Best mouse for MMORPG?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 19:45:07 »
Quote from: SmallFry;559776
Well, I don't game myself. I did, however, notice that our screen names are quite close. Is there any correlation?

It's my last name in real life.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Best mouse for MMORPG?
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 16:54:16 »
My Memorex 3202-2366 PS/2 ball mouse works well for playing games. I'd definitely recommend it.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
Best mouse for MMORPG?
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 18:13:47 »
If you want big and heavy the Corsair m90
If you want lite and dial-pad style buttons the Naga

I'm assuming you want something with alot of buttons since you'll be playing an mmo. The m90 is built like a tank, and the buttons are very well layed out. I claw grip, but even if I lay my hand palm style on it my fingers barley hand off the end of the left and right click. If you have any more questions about either mouse feel free to ask. I play wow and played swtor for awhile with both of these worked awesome for me.
I hate everything.

Offline Demofly

Best mouse for MMORPG?
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 19:33:07 »
Either the M90 if you need ample side buttons
Or the Mionix Naos.
i5 2300 - 7870Ghz - 8GB DDR3-1600 - 21.5" Acer 1080p
HPE 87 MX Brown + Ducky PBT (purchased from Flip!) | Ducky 1087XM Xiang Min Black ALPS clones.

Offline FinancialWar

Best mouse for MMORPG?
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 22:55:55 »
razer naga?
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Edjewh

Best mouse for MMORPG?
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 01 April 2012, 00:49:06 »
i have a mmo 7 coming on monday might want to check it out seems pretty good but who knows till you try it

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
Best mouse for MMORPG?
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 01 April 2012, 01:19:46 »
I wish the mmo 7 had some real buttons and not that multi direction thing on the thumb side. I would totally get one.
I hate everything.

Offline stingrae

Best mouse for MMORPG?
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 01 April 2012, 01:47:49 »
Quote from: Awful;563153
I wish the mmo 7 had some real buttons and not that multi direction thing on the thumb side. I would totally get one.

Find a mouse that is comfortable for you...

I don't find the idea of having all abilities on the mouse all that great mostly because of my style but that shouldn't limit yours.

The mmo mice aren't very good sensor wise (don't know about the corsair one) the naga will jump (always down and to the right) if you are the type to lift your mouse up at all. But that doesn't seem to bother people.

As someone who played WoW for 5 years and spent the majority of that time being in the guilds that raid 5 days a week and aren't quite as good as the best (with the exception of one that raided 3 and got pretty high in rankings), I found that everything I needed was almost easier via the keyboard and the mouse was better used like an extra hand (for checking the environment, for targetting and for healers; hovering over unit frames) just keeping it doing it's job and not much more. I would use the side buttons for rare use abillities sometimes or targetting macros or that silly shield paladins had at one point. I also used the mouse buttons as heals via the addon clique at one point.

Sure I played with a lot of pro-naga people paticularly in more casual guilds (When I was tired of the whole grind) and yes it probably suits 1 armed WoW players better (yes there are). I can't stress enough that at the end it's about being comfortable, if you are really really hardcore the absolute best is to develop your keybinds to relate to each other; e.g. stun on 5, incapacitate on shift+5 and so on and so forth given that you have with some rebinding a minimum of 18*3 possible binds give or take a few.

So take what suits you comfort wise because nothing else matters. The steelseries and naga mmo mice are fairly big but I think theres a slight change to size in one of the naga builds but can't remember if that was true or not..
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
Best mouse for MMORPG?
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 01 April 2012, 02:26:38 »
Quote from: stingrae;563176
Find a mouse that is comfortable for you...

I don't find the idea of having all abilities on the mouse all that great mostly because of my style but that shouldn't limit yours.

The mmo mice aren't very good sensor wise (don't know about the corsair one) the naga will jump (always down and to the right) if you are the type to lift your mouse up at all. But that doesn't seem to bother people.

As someone who played WoW for 5 years and spent the majority of that time being in the guilds that raid 5 days a week and aren't quite as good as the best (with the exception of one that raided 3 and got pretty high in rankings), I found that everything I needed was almost easier via the keyboard and the mouse was better used like an extra hand (for checking the environment, for targetting and for healers; hovering over unit frames) just keeping it doing it's job and not much more. I would use the side buttons for rare use abillities sometimes or targetting macros or that silly shield paladins had at one point. I also used the mouse buttons as heals via the addon clique at one point.

Sure I played with a lot of pro-naga people paticularly in more casual guilds (When I was tired of the whole grind) and yes it probably suits 1 armed WoW players better (yes there are). I can't stress enough that at the end it's about being comfortable, if you are really really hardcore the absolute best is to develop your keybinds to relate to each other; e.g. stun on 5, incapacitate on shift+5 and so on and so forth given that you have with some rebinding a minimum of 18*3 possible binds give or take a few.

So take what suits you comfort wise because nothing else matters. The steelseries and naga mmo mice are fairly big but I think theres a slight change to size in one of the naga builds but can't remember if that was true or not..

Been playing since 04' :( Yeah binding everything on the naga and main abilities on the naga is very scrub. I'm a 2300 arena player and have downed every raid pre-nerfs aside from BoT and BWD (didn't care enough to do pve when cata first released) I've always used my naga for cool-downs only. and shift those for focus macros ie cyclone on 3 and focus clone on shift 3, but I can't imagine using the naga or any mouse for that matter with main abilities on it. Trying to run behind someone for backstab and trying to spam 3 would be impossible in a pvp environment where you know, your target moves heh.

The sensor in the Corsair is way better then the naga, but I think I'm going to switch back to my naga. I like the lighter/smaller size. You can actually adjust the lift distance in the Corsair software. I find the multi-directional button on the rat to be "sloppy" or something. It just feels odd to me.

Its impossible to find something comfortable without just randomly ordering **** to try out. I don't live anywhere near any stores who carry anything like that.
I hate everything.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Best mouse for MMORPG?
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 April 2012, 02:01:52 »
I play WoW with my Imperator 2012. All I need are 5 buttons, and I'm good :) I even have the SS Cataclysm mouse sitting in a corner collecting dust.

Offline stingrae

Best mouse for MMORPG?
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 05 April 2012, 02:46:01 »
Quote from: Awful;563205
Been playing since 04' :(
Its impossible to find something comfortable without just randomly ordering **** to try out. I don't live anywhere near any stores who carry anything like that.

Heh I joined exactly 11 months after the EU release...I quit essentially in March 2011 after 3 years of fooling myself that I had time for WoW. I am now looking foward to guild wars 2, it is the first 'WoW killer' that I am actually interested in. For every other one I saw their gimmick but with guild wars 2 the biggest issue to picking up an MMO is out the window (Subscription) and it seems like a genuinely challenging game which is something I haven't had in WoW since Sunwell and really apart from the brief time in Cataclysm where dungeons were hard I really miss the days of the first TBC heriocs where you really had to work at killing stuff (mostly trash). Growing up sure hasn't helped somehow I have far less time.

Yeah that's my biggest gripe with online shopping, I really hate that it is so damn hard to know how something feels which for me determines if I like the product or not. Even the store that does have those products didn't display them so I was forced to try them out and return them.
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline aerial

Best mouse for MMORPG?
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 05 April 2012, 04:24:02 »
You probably want something with a lot of extra buttons, such as razer naga. This and plam grip, something comfortable for very long hours of play.
Mmo seems to favor entirely different mice than competitive esport games like fps or rts, where people go for small and simple mice, usually with basic 3 buttons.