Author Topic: Razer Nostromos have hardware bugs or poorly made or shipping damage caused problems?  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Crake

Did I get a damaged Razer Nostromos or are they poorly made?

I had the Belkin N52 from 2003 and used it for 8 years.  When I switched to Windows 7, I had to finally stop using it because it had no Windows 7 drivers and the Vista ones had issues in Windows 7.

When I heard a new version of the Nostromos had Windows 7 drivers, I immediately ordered one.  Its software was a little different from the original but pretty close. So, I had it ready with some new profiles in just an hour.   But after playing with it for just about an hour or less, it started doing weird things, like the output of some of the programmed keys started getting stuck.  The keys were not physically stuck - instead by output being stuck I mean: the output of the key being run like the key was pressed down (and no it was not from a repeat macro toogled by key presses.)  This caused noticeably problems because some of the keys had single key combo output of alt + a key and ctrl + a key, so it was like you were holding down an alt or ctrl key, so even my keyboard was affected - it was like everything I typed was under ctrl or alt while this problem happened.   I would hit some keys on the Nostromos and this situation would stop. I then rebooted thinking it might be a software issues but it happened again later and then I decided to test the actual hardware of the Nostromos.  I tapped on the unit, without even pressing a key, and sure enough the problem happened again. So it seems like lose wiring or something in the unit.

I remember my Beklin unit doing this with only one of its keys, the scroll wheel, after that unit was 6 to 7 years old. On that unit, I just disabled the scroll wheel, and no more problem, because there was nothing for it to output when the hardware problem happened.   This was not a big deal since the unit was old, so not as alarming it would break after 6 to 7 years, and I did not use the scroll wheel much so it was not a big loss.  But the Razer unit did this out of the box and to many, if not all, keys.

When I received the unit, the shipping box was fine but the retail box, within the shipping box, was severely dented on one side. but the cardboard sheet securely holding the unit did not seem damaged, so it seemed just the outside of the retail box was harmed but I guess that damage could have been caused by a hard fall that shook the unit hard.

Did I get a lemon, or are Razer Nostromos problematic like this or they are good quality units, so shipping damage likely caused it?

Offline Crake

Follow-up in case anyone cares:  I think it is a hardware issue because others are reproting the same thing and vibration seems to cause it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEcUAsrbn3c

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
You should just Cherryify the old N52! Perfect time for a mod!

Offline Lanx

tldr:
i've been using my cherry modded n52 (belkin) for 2 years now, with win7. works just fine, you need drivers or something? fwiw, i've heard razer nostromo's are horribad so i've stocked up on old n52's (have 3 in storage). if you need drivers i'll find the ones i use and throw em up, pm me i might forget about this thread.