Author Topic: [ L desk ] What to purchase?  (Read 3252 times)

Offline xquisit

[ L desk ] What to purchase?
« on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 08:55:31 »
I'd like to purchase an "L"-shaped desk that will allow me to have my keyboard positined in front of my monitor WITHOUT a keyboard tray (I don't mind if it comes with one, but I don't want to use it).

Any recommendations?

*I would prefer there to be room for a CRT and a monitor in front of it*

EDIT: I know this is the keyboard section, but I need a desk to fit my keyboard needs... I'm tired of this damn IKEA computer desk from 1999!
I\'d rather die like a man than live like a coward - 2pac

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 08:57:26 »
Is it your intention to have the monitor/CRT in the corner of the L so that it gives you a deeper space?

Edit:  That's funny I was going to point to cheap alternatives from Ikea...
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 April 2012, 09:01:22 by alaricljs »
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline xquisit

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 09:02:19 »
No, I just always wanted an L-shaped desk. :cool:

I would prefer to be centered with the desk and have the monitor and keyboard in front of myself.

I would like a desk to do paper and computer work on.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 09:13:24 »
Then you're going to need to be explicit what the minimum depth needs to be.  Deep desks are uncommon or very expensive.  Mine is 31" deep and is perfect for my LCD on an arm with absolutely nothing on the surface of the desk.  Depending on the LCD stand I might be able to get away with one, but not for a big screen.

Cheap one at Amazon,  cheaper at Costco.com

Then there's this from Hon:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 47892[/ATTACH]

That'll give you the depth, for the low low price of $2000 from Costco.  'HON
10500 Series “L” Workstation Return Harvest'
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline NYC

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 00:23:08 »
http://www.amazon.com/Walker-Edison-Soreno-3-Piece-Corner/dp/B001FB5LE8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334121467&sr=8-1

this is what i use its very sturdy and nice the black glass is sexy but many prints but just wipe like once a week and its sall good and for the price also. highly recommend been using for over year now no probs
Camo Filco Cherry Blues tkl, White Filco Majestouch 2 Cherry Browns tkl

Offline xquisit

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 02:33:55 »
I wish it had more desk space, because my CRT is huge and I can't afford an upgrade (if I upgraded it would be something expensive, because I can't stand cheap LCD monitors).

I'll look more into it, I'm thankful you posted! It looks very classy, and affordable too!

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 05:29:48 »
I find IKEA is best for budget. i.e. I have the GALANT corner (with length 2.2 meter)

I guess you could put your CRT in the corner but will probably not do if your trying to center it

I HATE keyboard trays. I used to have one.
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

REALFORCE 87U Silent (Variable) | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL (Brown) | FC660C

Offline xquisit

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 05:34:15 »
I dig your desk, but I believe I still need more room :(

With the CRT being so heavy, and me being so picky...this will be tough.

Good news is, I have a fish tank project to totally make me forget about my ****ty computer desk.

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 06:06:22 »
What a coincidence I'm building a 200 liter tank too :D (to sit within a lounge table (glass top))

With respect to the desk, I should really take a photo length wise, 2.2 meter is quite big :) Not trying to sell this to you :) but it is also height adjustable.

My monitors come forward because they need to sit alongside one another, when I had one monitor I could push it right back.

Just to give you an idea

===FishTANK!

Are you going to use glass of acrylic? I'm really favoring some polycarbonate sheets...
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

Offline penny88

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 06:34:06 »
you can consult amazon.com and olx.com, it will be helpful

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 08:11:34 »
Have you considered getting something custom built to suit your requirements? If looks don't concern you too much, I suspect you could actually save money by doing this.

Offline harrison

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 08:47:47 »
i managed 2 19" Trinitron CRTs in the corner of an Ikea Galant desk.   You'll want at least one extension to make the desk larger on the narrow side, but it'll meet your needs.
[work]ducky tiger dk-9008G2, cherry mx brown|logitech performance mx
[home]corsair k70 LUX RGB, cherry mx brown|logitech G700s

Offline xquisit

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 14:33:46 »
Thanks a lot fellas!

As far as my fish tank goes: It's a glass 55 gallon, and I'll be using it for fresh water (then maybe moving to salt someday).

---

I'll try the galant, but I really need to have the keyboard in front of the CRT (cenetered).  I hate using trays, and it would be nice to have a raised area for a future monitor (at the moment, that's not a concern).  

Looks are not a concern, and I'd definitely be interested in getting one custom built!  Is there anyone I can see in the Los Angeles area?

Thanks in advance!

Offline anselben

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 15:21:45 »
My gf bought an L shaped glass desk from Wal mart online recently, and it's surprisingly way better than I thought it was going to be. It was 100 bucks and that's the same I paid for a piece of **** wooden desk half the size from best buy.

Offline Squelos

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 16:38:43 »
Quote from: insilica;572835
I find IKEA is best for budget. i.e. I have the GALANT corner (with length 2.2 meter)

Show Image

I guess you could put your CRT in the corner but will probably not do if your trying to center it

I HATE keyboard trays. I used to have one.

You must be a developer, am I wrong ? I personaly appreciate having room on the side, or enough depth to push back the keyboard, and have some sheets of paper in front of me, or either side, if the desk isnt long enough.

The CRT is going to be an issue. You wont really be able to get a cheap L desk with enough depth for the CRT I believe.

Another option would be building your own desk. Thats how I would make mine.
Depending on where you live, I believe any kind of material will be cheaper than buying a desk, plus you get the choice of the material, size, height and all sorts of stuff.

I find that most desks are too high for me. And the "keyboard" drawer isnt an option for me, I just hate ****ing drawers on my desk.

Ghetto solution could be using 2 rectangular desks, but that really is ghetto, because you wont have the curve that you are looking for I believe. But then depending on the price of your findings, you could "make" a second layer for your keyboard and mouse if that is an option.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 April 2012, 16:40:53 by Squelos »

Offline shawn o

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 16:42:28 »
If you want a high quality, US made desk that will last your lifetime, go to Room and Board and look at their Portica desks. Several different sizes and top options. They are expensive but worth every penny.

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 17:35:51 »
Quote from: Squelos;573237
You must be a developer, am I wrong ? I personaly appreciate having room on the side, or enough depth to push back the keyboard, and have some sheets of paper in front of me, or either side, if the desk isnt long enough.

The CRT is going to be an issue. You wont really be able to get a cheap L desk with enough depth for the CRT I believe.

Another option would be building your own desk. Thats how I would make mine.
Depending on where you live, I believe any kind of material will be cheaper than buying a desk, plus you get the choice of the material, size, height and all sorts of stuff.

I find that most desks are too high for me. And the "keyboard" drawer isnt an option for me, I just hate ****ing drawers on my desk.

Ghetto solution could be using 2 rectangular desks, but that really is ghetto, because you wont have the curve that you are looking for I believe. But then depending on the price of your findings, you could "make" a second layer for your keyboard and mouse if that is an option.

I am :typing:

I found it very difficult to select a desk at the time. I remember spending more time finding a cheap affordable solution then actually sourcing and putting together my computer. Yes height is important, as is depth as well as desk space.

The GALANT solution from IKEA, well it's not outrageously priced, it's height adjustable and extendable. I have the standard L + 60cm extension. I have plenty of room in front of the moniors but my notes are to my right on an A3 sketch pad and anything bigger would be on my whiteboard behind me. [slightly alien in the way I hold the mouse, I rest my entire elbow on the table and use the mouse in the position you see :alien:] -> doesn't really leave room for papers in front of me

You are right about the CRT requiring more depth but how deep does one go? depending on the dimensions of the CRT ofcourse, you don't want to use a broomstick to turn the thing on ...

Offline Squelos

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 18:35:55 »
Yeah, but then mouse isnt half as important as the keyboard.

At least I dont believe so. Most of the stuff can be done by using the keyboard, and moving a hand to the mouse is just too annoying.

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 12 April 2012, 04:16:59 »
Quote from: Squelos;573307
Yeah, but then mouse isnt half as important as the keyboard.

At least I dont believe so. Most of the stuff can be done by using the keyboard, and moving a hand to the mouse is just too annoying.

True!

My setup is AwesomeWM on Gentoo. Dare I say I use the mouse when I'm browsing the web or when I'm in windows where I can't do anything without a mouse or in particular playing a game.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 12 April 2012, 04:21:12 »
I have a Galant Desk like the one shown above.  The great thing about this desk is that you can add on to it.  Mine is pretty lengthy.  I am not sure if you need it to be more wide, but you can go as long as you want with this desk.  You just need to buy the extra desk to add on.  It's a great desk, and it is probably the best product from IKEA.

Offline lrch

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 12 April 2012, 13:39:12 »
At the risk of sounding like a douche; people still use keyboard trays? Ick.
I've got a cheap desk, probably from Ikea which is 2.2ish meters by 1.5m, I had a 19" short CRT on it not long ago. With LCD panels, it's more than ample for two boxes and 3 screens.

Back when I used CRTs I had a setup similar to Squelos, a bigass quarter-circle shaped desk with the CRT butt aimed at the corner.