Author Topic: Classifieds forum rules with transparency  (Read 4313 times)

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Classifieds forum rules with transparency
« on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 10:37:34 »
wkawa, not sure what to do after you closed the rules thread again.  so I am posting it here to see if we can discuss this again.  You can tell me to go shut up and delete this.  But RFC != Closed thread.  Total oxymoron.  

In your last post, you are basically saying take it or leave it.  Which is fine.  But your 2b is a total cop out.  What you really are saying is that "nah, we mods don't have to give reasons when we delete or close a thread, because it is too much work if we have to explain ourselves, so we are not going to do it."  

This will just encourage mods to abuse the mod power if they can hide behind what they do.  Yes, it could be a thankless job, if you are a bad mod.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 11:01:08 »
We should atleast be able to have a discussion on the rules. GH is a forum after all, there wouldnt be a community without its usersbase. There should be rules, and we should have the right to be notified if we have done something to break these rules.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 11:02:58 »
I think mkawa just like closing threads. Pretty sure he closed mine.

He was also jelly of my auction.

Offline litster

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 11:13:44 »
I am not crazy with auctions either.  

wkawa, you moved this thread from the classified forum to off-topic.  What is your response to my comment in the first post in the thread?

Offline net2522

• lollollollol
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 11:15:07 »
who's wkawa?

fossala

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 11:17:11 »
mkawa is one of the mods of classifieds.

Offline litster

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 11:18:47 »
He is one of the classifieds mods.  I believe he moved this thread from classifieds To off-topic.  This is not off topic.  Totally relevant to classifieds discussions.

fossala

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 11:22:49 »
The classifieds is for "member-to-member buy/sell/trade. (no commercial sales)". This is a discussion thread.

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 11:23:39 »
Auctions are pretty hard to regulate, because bottom line an unknown alias can always drive up the price, and once price gets too high it can be offered to the runner-up because "the first person backed out". Tough decision to make regardless of whether or not it is silent or public.
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

fossala

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 11:26:21 »
They aren't run in the right way anyway. If someone bids $30 and someone else bids $40, the current bid should be $31. The way the guys do it here is, you bid $40 it will go for $40.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 11:29:08 »
What annoyed me were the last two bidders who backed out. We should have a "no posting a bid unless you intend to buy it" rule!

No post editing!

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 11:29:54 »
They should have their own section under classified, so you are saying that the lower bid should be the basis upon to increase the amount until the maximum bid has been reached? And most people don't do maximum bids, they just say they bid X amount.

^ I was that *******. Sorry.
[One Keyboard at a time]

fossala

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 11:34:35 »
Quote from: ekw808;572469
They should have their own section under classified, so you are saying that the lower bid should be the basis upon to increase the amount until the maximum bid has been reached? And most people don't do maximum bids, they just say they bid X amount.

^ I was that *******. Sorry.

It is how online auctions work.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 11:37:21 »
Yeah, I agree that there should be baseline rules for auctions at the very least, so that people that want to buy and sell know what to expect in every auction.
I felt bad for backing out, but you can't blame me when the price was getting way too high. I would suggest using eBay if you want to list something where people will have a harder time backing out. Your audience might be bigger too. And they also have different rules when it comes to bid increments. Posting a link to the auction in a thread that is situated in a sub-forum of the classifieds is an idea for those wanting to do it that way.
Auctioning is something that I agree should stay. I don't like silent auctions though. Either tell the sellers to outline all the rules for their auctions every time, or have a bunch of set rules for holding auctions that everyone must adhere to.

Again, not the right place, but I am sorry for backing out, keyboardlover. It won't ever happen again in any auction.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 11:39:03 »
It's all good Glissant. Actually I was seriously considering ebay...maybe I should've gone that route.

Doubt it would have decreased the threadcrapulation my thread got though.

Offline net2522

• lollollollol
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 11:43:43 »
Every auction pay 10%~ to geekhack.

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 11:44:48 »
Quote from: fossala;572474
It is how online auctions work.

*Thats how automated auctions work, ones held by people can be altered.
[One Keyboard at a time]

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 11:50:39 »
Quote from: net2522;572481
Every auction pay 10%~ to geekhack.

2%!

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 12:33:31 »
Sorry to deviate from the topic, but Keeyboard Lovers avatar is far inferior to the previous avatar in my opinion,
Now on topic, the forum is going through some growing and learning I think. Eventually, we will figure out how things should/will work in the next couple weeks.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 12:35:46 »
Sorry, I wanted to change things up a bit.

Do you want the old avatar back? What about my "TKL Me Elmo" avatar?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 14:51:29 »
I just thought that the old one identified you. I just now need to adjust my thinking as to what your avatar is. I associate pictures to people. :rofl:

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 15:18:20 »
Quote from: litster;572404
wkawa, not sure what to do after you closed the rules thread again.  so I am posting it here to see if we can discuss this again.  You can tell me to go shut up and delete this.  But RFC != Closed thread.  Total oxymoron.  

In your last post, you are basically saying take it or leave it.  Which is fine.  But your 2b is a total cop out.  What you really are saying is that "nah, we mods don't have to give reasons when we delete or close a thread, because it is too much work if we have to explain ourselves, so we are not going to do it."  

This will just encourage mods to abuse the mod power if they can hide behind what they do.  Yes, it could be a thankless job, if you are a bad mod.

If its the case of "nah, we mods don't have to give reasons when we delete or close a thread, because it is too much work if we have to explain ourselves, so we are not going to do it.", then I rather not have mods. Mods isn't just some title. You volunteer to clean up and maintain the forum. If you don't want to do the job, don't be a mod. Its not hard to write a line or two on why something was deleted/closed. We're not some forum with 100k users. We're a small community.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 16:34:23 »
It's completely reasonable to expect a reason for why a thread was closed.
Russ

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 03:49:19 »
Quote from: SmallFry;572502
Sorry to deviate from the topic, but Keeyboard Lovers avatar is far inferior to the previous avatar in my opinion,
Now on topic, the forum is going through some growing and learning I think. Eventually, we will figure out how things should/will work in the next couple weeks.

Quote from: keyboardlover;572503
Sorry, I wanted to change things up a bit.

Do you want the old avatar back? What about my "TKL Me Elmo" avatar?

Quote from: SmallFry;572595
I just thought that the old one identified you. I just now need to adjust my thinking as to what your avatar is. I associate pictures to people. :rofl:

You guys need to kill this conversation now before you have your posts deleted. How dare you have an off-topic conversation, in a thread about forum rules no less,  in the...

Off-topic forum...

Oh, wait...

Offline mbc

• -delete-
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 04:43:11 »
the bidding system works fine how it is. in regular auctions you pay what you bid.
what needs changing is anonymous bids and bids from new users.
this leaves too much room for shill bidding,
ppl here have proven to pay any price, no matter how unreasonable it is, IF they think someone else bid a similarly high price

Offline Malphas

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 05:48:40 »
Quote from: fossala;572463
They aren't run in the right way anyway. If someone bids $30 and someone else bids $40, the current bid should be $31. The way the guys do it here is, you bid $40 it will go for $40.

That doesn't make sense. If that was the case then why not make it $30.01 when someone bids $40 in that instance?

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 10:01:09 »
That's called proxy bidding.  It's what eBay does.  That leaves it up to the seller to be honest about doing it fairly and is therefore not much different than silent auctions.
Russ

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 21:16:22 »
I think auctions, provided they're public and bidding is done in the thread, should be allowed, and run like auctions would be in an auctionhouse- or proxy bid if the seller so decrees it. I think that should be left to the seller.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 22:25:40 »
Proxy bidding still permits a degree of shilling.  If the starting bid is $1 and you proxy bid $50, what stops the seller from saying that you won and your final bid is $50 even if there were no other bidders?
Russ