Author Topic: How do you use your computers?  (Read 2826 times)

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
How do you use your computers?
« on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 03:43:04 »
There's many flame wars around the internet about one setup being better than the other and what not. Let's face it, all depends on what you actually do on it right? One will be happy with a low end laptop to write his novel, others will praise their self built and highly over clocked gaming rigs, others will defend their video editing rigs or whatever. So what is your setup and what do you do with it?

I'll start with mine. So the main workstation is Apple Mac Pro (early 2009), 2x2.66 GHz Xeon, 10 GB RAM, 6 TB storage in total and Radeon 5770 graphics connected to Dell U3011 display.
I use it primarily for my work, which is mostly multi server system development (back end: video encoding / encryption, storage, business logic, front end: web stores, payments, reporting) which requires me to run many virtual machines all the time, a lot of terminals (or terminal tabs) open, text editors (primarily MacVim, secondarily BBedit) and obviously collaboration software and web browsers.
For that I really need a lot of CPU cores and fair amount of memory, storage and graphics card (now pretty low end, but it was decent when I upgraded it 2 years ago) are mostly used for my personal stuff as this computer also serves as my digital hub storing (and processing - final cutting and photoshopping) all the video and photos i take. For only work stuff (VMWare, Vim, email, Skype and browsers) I could be fine with some self built dual CPU rig running Linux, but OS X being basically an Unix with decent (can't say excellent or best any more as it's definitely not) GUI is really better for everything outside work.
I also keep a Windows 7 installed on a bootcamp partition to play games (I don't play on OS X as Mac ports plainly suck).
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline Cindori

• My Blog
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 04:03:45 »
Main computer:
Hackintosh
Intel 2500k
8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Radeon HD 6950 1GB
Hazro 30" 2560x1400 IPS

I'm very involved in the Hackintosh scene, and even more at the Mac Pro forums over at Macrumors. I have developed several tools, guides and stuff for Macs regarding Trim for SSD, and using PC Graphic cards in the Mac Pro. (If you ever feel the need to upgrade, czarek, check out my website http://groths.org :thumb:)

Now a days I develop mostly for iPhone and Android. I'm also studying for a Master of Science in Computer Engineering, so a lot of code is written for school assignments and similar.

And when I get time to spare, I enjoy playing Battlefield 3 :nod:

I found Geekhack about a week ago and I think I have read every single post here soon. I look forward to replacing my Logitech G19 with a mechanical keyboard! :bounce:

Offline mbc

• -delete-
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 05:00:49 »
20 watts acer laptop with core2duo processor connected to a monitor

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 05:14:11 »
Quote from: mbc;572827
20 watts acer laptop with core2duo processor connected to a monitor

Used for?
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 06:54:45 »
My desktop (AMD X6 @4GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX480) is used for Photoshop and photography work ninety percent of the time, but it gets the odd game in too, usually Battlefield 3 at the moment. I've got an i5 Macbook Pro 13 inch (dual boot W7 and OSX), which is my uni hack/photo work on the go (maybe 50-50 split), but I'd rather not use it if I have a choice. It really struggles with the heavier PS stuff.

I usually have a KBC Poker with Browns, and a Razer Deathadder with the laptop, and my Filco (also Browns) and a G700 for the desktop.

Aside from the main two computers, I've got an Asus Eeeeeeeeee PC that runs linux living in the loungeroom for light internet, and a media center PC with a few big hard drives attached. I think it's a Core 2 Duo, running W7.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 07:44:24 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 14:02:32 by davkol »

Offline GeorgeStorm

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 07:47:21 »
I've got my main pc with is a llano based system (GTX 260, 8tb storage) which I use for everything now, mainly games, watching media and any work I have to do.
Used to have an i7 system aswell, then the llano system (without the gpu, ssd etc) was my media server, but I downsized so it was easier to take stuff to/from uni at the end of term etc.

Also have a laptop which i rarely use, currently running crunchbang!

Keyboard wise I just gave my brother my Poker with ghetto reds, so am currently using my old Ducky TKL with blues I had sold him, but have a Poker with blues on the way, although keeping my eye out for one with browns.
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 09:34:35 »
My system for work is a Dell e6410 w/ 8GB ram and a 128GB M4 SSD.  Runs Gentoo and a Windows 7 VM under VMWare player.  I'm a systems admin so I primarily am using terminals, Vim, OOCalc, Firefox, IE (for ILO/DRAC/etc), Thunderbird.

I am usually connecting to that laptop via VNC from my main rig which I recently upgraded.  i5-2500k, Z86X-UD3H-B3, 8GB Ram, 128GB M4, Radeon 6870 all inside a P182.  2408wfp and a 2407wfp, Logitech Trackman Wheel and a Filco 87key browns w/ PBT caps.  This is technically my gaming rig, but I haven't been gaming too much.  Mainly I'm using Sketchup, KiCAD, VNC, Vim, Firefox/Thunderbird and PuTTY.  Also (especially this time of year) I have VirtualBox running some VMs, one is for TurboTax, one for testing out new software and patches, random others for various reasons.  

My HTPC is an e8400 on a Gigabyte EP45 board w/ 4GB RAM and a 64GB Kingston SSD, MSI 460GTX for video feeding a 32" 1080 from Vizio.  Has a xbox gaming peripherals receiver and my kids play Lego games on it and we use it for Netflix and DVD rips.  Also plays the home movies and photos and also our music collection.

The server in the basement that holds all the media and iSCSI LUNs for the games is currently a Q6600 w/ 8GB ram, and several PCI-X SATA controllers in an old server board (PDSME+) 3x 2TB drives for media, 1x 500GB for games, 2x 64GB Vertex 2 SSDs mirrored for the OS.  It's running gentoo on the xen dom0 and 2 domUs and a WinXP domU.  There's the media server (samba, and all the HDDs for media/games), the mail/web server (postfix/dovecot/roundcube/ClamAV/DSpam/PostgreSQL/Apache), and the XP is for torrents.  Looking at upgrading to a X5670 and 12GB RAM... because I CAN!  ;)
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline funxion

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 12:42:04 »
Primarily, I use my computer for gaming, but I also do a good deal of web browsing, music-listening, and the like. I don't really use my school laptop unless I'm actually at school since it's pretty useless, but I'll list it anyway.

Personal/Gaming: Intel i5 750 2.66GHz ~ 3.8GHz, EVGA GTX 560 Ti Classified, and 8GB G.SKILL's
School: Lenovo ThinkPad X301 (it's a P.O.S. if you ask me)
Not In Use: iMac 20" (don't really know or care about the specs)
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline mbc

• -delete-
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 14:44:23 »
Quote from: czarek;572831
Used for?

everything but gaming

Offline domin8r

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 13 April 2012, 06:37:53 »
At home I have a Supermicro with dual Quadcore Xeons @ 1.8ghz and a GTX 285. Use it primarily for gaming, browsing and some development of personal sites/apps/etc.

At work an iMac 2,5Ghz i5.. Use that primarily for (web)development :)
Compaq MX-11800, Ergo Clear/Brown/Ghetto Red
Ducky 1087XM
Laser SX-25 , White SMK
Black Dell AT101W
IBM Model M 1390120 (\'86)
Cherry G80-1000, Panda Clears

Offline thp777

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 13 April 2012, 08:21:26 »
my desktop is i7 920 4ghz OC, 12gb ram, dual gtx 560 ti overclocked, running 2 22" monitors atm but soon to be 3. I do 3d modeling and animation, game development, cad, photoshop, and of course gaming usually all running at same time. plus whatever else i feel like trying my hand at. planning on a new build tho soon too future proof again for a few years.

laptop is an alienware m11x r2 with i7(dual) 1.2ghz, 4gb ram, gt 335 overclocked. find it more comfortable to use it while laying in recliner for less serious work and gaming.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 13 April 2012, 09:22:38 »
Home machine... 2007 15" MBP, 2.4Ghz C2D I believe, hooked up to a 20" ACD . I make websites and do a lot of photoshop work. Planning on upgrading to a 27" iMac soon so I can watch movies on it from my bed and never find wallpapers in the right size.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline yap09

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 13 April 2012, 09:27:02 »
i5-2500k
hd 6870
8gb ram
acer gd235hz  
machine used mainly for games (cs 1.6, league of legends, the occasional single player game) and motion graphics / 3d work (after effects, cinema 4d, maya, nuke, photoshop, illustrator)

my old machine
q9400
hd 4850
8gb ram
mainly used for 3d rendering and to transfer songs to my ipod
leopold white otaku tenkeyless reds  // razer bw // cherry g80-8113lrcus (clears) // mx518 // c4 ngen 04

Offline modulor

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 13 April 2012, 10:56:10 »
Phenom II 720BE
8GB Memory
HD5850 Video
Windows 7
23" Asus LED

For general use at home (web browsing, office, illustrator/sketchup, music, gaming, random applications)

Athlon II 640
4GB Memory
On Board Video
Linux Mint 9, 11
Ubuntu 10.04
17" Dell TN Panel

Linux box for my home work desk (hobby projects, hobby coding, arduino fun, web browsing, server)