Author Topic: HELP! Gpu at 69 degrees with 120 HZ SCREEN  (Read 4404 times)

Offline Sanna Nathalie Halldin

HELP! Gpu at 69 degrees with 120 HZ SCREEN
« on: Fri, 13 April 2012, 11:24:34 »
Hi there! upgraded with a 120 hz display, and thought no more of my idle temp .. started msi afterburner as I like to run with its own fan curve under the game, notice that gpu at 66 degrees in idle .. thats too high.
When I go into windows (7) and set the screen at 60 hz, then find the computer all of a sudden it to rev up the fan a little and dampen down the degrees to the idle temp of 38 degrees .. and remain peaceful and stable there ..
But as soon as I put the 120 hz is again pulled it quickly up to 66 degrees again and the fan does not come up or find the gpu to be cool at all.

WHY?

Does anyone know how I'll get a little higher fan speed or the like placed on automatically on your computer without having to push up the lot of software, or know what this problem can be solved most easily.
Looked for something on Bios for change, but I am TOTALLY unknown with bios ..

the graphicard are : Nvidia Geforce gtx 550 TI
screen: Samsung 2233RZ 120hz

( translated by google translate hope its not too messy )

I'm swedish that's why ..

I have been tested with alots off Nvidia drivers doesnt help at all, a have tested with vsynk on and off... still the same.

Putting up some pictures with the program GPU-Z so you can see the diffrent.

60 HZ
http://imgur.com/x52SD

120 HZ
http://imgur.com/rmwS9

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 April 2012, 11:34:36 »
69C or F, my 465 GTX runs at around 60-65C IDLE and goes to around 79C when in use. Also you should be able to change the fan speed on the GPU with the software that is included with the card.
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 April 2012, 11:47:27 »
Cant find any options for fan speed in nvidia:s software .. only settings for the display and other options.

It's 69 C idle . full loud about 78-85 C

But on 60Hz idle is about 38 C and load 60 ..

I know this card can handle like 110 C , thats what they say on nvidias homepage.
But why does it goes that much up in " C " for a 120 hz monitor :S?

Had too ask some one with an Nvidia card and 120 hz monitor too see if this is normal at all.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 April 2012, 12:03:48 »
At 120Hz you are pushing 2x as many screen updates, that's going to have an impact on your GPU.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 April 2012, 12:08:26 »
Alright, now i got it.. i just bought it for my game plays for counterstrike.. and ofc the 3d .
So just turning up the fan a bit when i play games that i need those 120 fps ?
I believe its pointless too have 120hz on when i play game that i only can use about 60 fps on for example or have i wrong?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 April 2012, 12:12:25 »
Any game you're not regularly seeing better than 60fps out of will not get any noticeable benefit from 120Hz.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 April 2012, 12:12:45 »
But i need too know a idle temp at 60C and load about 80C wont make the hardware bad?

I can just go on with these temp with no problems? i used MSI kombobuster , and noticed that the fan are acctually doing its work when it hits about 84C and cool it down too a stady 79C in full load.

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 April 2012, 12:14:38 »
Oyes i noticed a lot at 60hz the game has alot of small lag, when i turn it into 120 its smoothly and no teerings or lag or nothing.

Offline stingrae

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 April 2012, 12:41:38 »
hmm human eye can't really tell the difference between 24 and 60 fps...24-30 at worst some people might experience a headache. 120hz monitors are only useful for their 3D capabilities tbh. Yes I happen to fall into the 10% that can't experience 3D effects. Also the connection between GPU and monitor doesn't get better or worse with 120hz/60hz signal can only travel so fast (2ms~ usually) not that you can 'really' tell the difference between 2ms and 5ms.

As for your graphics card these things are pretty resilient 80 while playing isn't too bad as long as it doesn't go over that. Lower is better but I wouldn't worry that much you are probably going to get a replacement before it starts to develop artefacts.
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 13 April 2012, 12:43:06 »
anything over 90 is bad, but mid 80's your GPU can deal with it without problems, but it is best to find some cooling for it. It is also about the environment temperature, cranking up your AC in your room can help alot.
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 13 April 2012, 13:23:43 »
Quote from: ekw808;574674
anything over 90 is bad, but mid 80's your GPU can deal with it without problems, but it is best to find some cooling for it. It is also about the environment temperature, cranking up your AC in your room can help alot.

I can put up the speed of the fan really high with msi afterburner, my bedroom is  kind of cold.. i'm using on of the predators of Acer.. Acer predator G3610 so i still got the warranty, for about less then a year.. so i cant put in some better cooler system or anything.. maybe just let it be tils i dies and let the warranty handle it ;) ... naa to bad too be without it for a couple of weeks just for some stupid sthing.

I dont know how hard acer are with the warranty.. its a sticker if i seal it , warranty goes byebye,, maybe just call them and see how they handle it.. doesnt say anything about " ooh if you're trying too use a 120 hz no warranty with heat problems"