Author Topic: Want a full size keyboard with black switches - which brand/model do you recommend?  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Crake

I tried a black switch keyboard and I like it. I plan to get one  - deciding on brand/model now.

What I want:  I want a full size keyboard. Normal 104 key layout (no big enter/small backspace etc.) Nothing special - backlighting would be nice to have but not a dealmaker to me. And I will never use pass-through USB or microphone etc., so I would actually rather not have those and the extra cables they need but if otherwise good keyboard, I would not exclude one for having those.

My main want is top quality. I want the fit and finish to be good (no creaks, uneven surfaces, nor top and bottom shells not flush together)with  good solid foot pads and well made legs  (no flimsy loose ones), good keycaps that do not wear down quickly. Good smooth stablizers that will last.

I think a WASD or Leopold would fit what I want.  Or do they have issues? Any other brand I should consider?  (Note, I was thinking of waiting for a new Coolermaster in blackswitch but no estimated date on any switches other than brown per Coolermaster and I do not like the upside down lettering, with numbers on top and functions on bottom, of the top number keys that the Coolermaster has.)

Do WASD have modular cables or are they permanent?  Do modular cables, like on the Leopold, tend to have connection problems later?

Which is of better quality, WASD or Leopold?  (If WASD, is it enough to justify $20 more or just slight?)  Or is there a better quality choice than those two?

Thanks for any help.

fossala

WASD do not have modular cables on there current keyboards but on there new one (later this year) it will do. It will also have USB hubs. I haven't tried either of the boards but I hear good things on both of them. The main difference being the stabilizers (costar vs cherry).

Offline Crake

Do WASD have stablizer bars pre-greased?

Offline Autolyze

One fairly large problem with the full-size Leopold is that the spacebar has non-standard spacing for its stabilizer mounts, so the only way you'll be able to use new spacebars is by physically modding them. Both of those keyboards should be pretty solid in general. As fossala said, the stabilizers are probably the biggest difference between the two boards. You should think about whether you'd prefer the Cherry stabilizers on the Leopold (they make the bigger keys feel a little different, but allow for easy key removal) or the Costar stabilizers on the WASD (they make the bigger keys feel more like the smaller keys, but make it a little more awkward to swap keys around).

You should also have a look into a Ducky Shine if you want backlighting and a Filco if you want what is generally considered "top quality" for Cherry MX boards.

Offline Crake

Quote from: dante;575635
WASD is a wonderful fullsize Cherry Black board.  It doesn't feel as stiff as a Filco and all the stabs are prelubed.  They also have wonderful customer service.

Are the Costar stablizers superior to Cherry?  And the WASD has Costar and Leopold has Cherry or other way?

Offline Crake

Quote from: dante;575652
I personally love Costar; I was originally turned off by them because they seemed complex and a pain in the ass.  But it's hard to argue with the results.

Are Costar ones hard to maintain?  How often do you have to clean/lubricate them?    

Are Cherry stablizers much easier to work-on/clean/lubricate?

Offline Crake

Can you describe difference between the feel of the two stablizers?

Offline Crake

Thanks. How often do they generally need to be lubricated?

Offline Crake

Quote from: dante;575733
It depends on environment/usage.  You can leave the bored unlubed and just lube when it starts squeaking.

Lithium based grease that you get at hardware store ok?

Offline Crake

I have narrowed it down to a WASD or Leopold, black switch, keyboard.  I would like to get one now instead of waiting a few weeks.  The Leopold could be shipped now but WASD would take a week or two.   I like the white lettering on the Leopold, as opposed to the golden-brown on the WASD (or can you get white lettering on the WASD keycaps) but I am concerned about the modular cable - potential connection issues as it ages. Or do the modular cables not have connection issues over time?  

Any help able to give information to help me decide whether to wait on WASD or get Leopold now?

Offline Crake

I found some previous threads on here about problems with the detachable cable on Leopolds, so I ordered a WASD keyboard.