Author Topic: Window Manager for Productivity?  (Read 7883 times)

Offline digitalleftovers

Window Manager for Productivity?
« on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 13:05:34 »
I noticed there are some relevant posts in the Unity thread, but I wanted to ask this as a more targeted question.

I'm putting together a linux workstation (for the purpose of doing work).  The windows laptop that my employer provided is fine, but I now have enough dev tasks that *niux just makes more sense for my work flow.

Its been a few years since I've used linux extensively and there have been some advancements in window managers, so I'm looking for your experiences.  I'm considering E17 because I've read that it can be manipulated via key command, however, combining compiz with LXDE or something like that, sounds like a reasonable way of switching between window clusters/virtual desktops in a pleasant way.  That said, power won't be an issue, so I would like to utilize the concept of workspaces as much as possible.  Eye candy is less important.  This system will have at least two monitors.
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 13:48:01 »
combining compiz with LXDE or something like that, sounds like a reasonable way of switching between window clusters/virtual desktops in a pleasant way.
That's probably your best bet. Compiz lets you use keyboard commands to manually re-tile windows, move them between workspaces, toggle them as "always on top", display them on multiple workspaces at once, drag things onto other workspaces using the flip cube, force full-screen for a particular workspace, etc. A lot of people dismiss Compiz as mere window dressing, but it's real advantage is the incredible amount of control it gives you. It also adds smooth transition effects to LXDE, which I think improves the sense of "flow" and makes the interface seem snappy. Knoppix has an fairly good out-of-the-box LXDE/compiz setup that you can try (you'll want to turn off some of the obnoxious animations). You also might want to consider Gnome 2, XFCE, or Mate as a desktop environment (along with Compiz, of course).

Also food for thought: a tiling window manager. Awesome is what I use on a laptop, and it is designed around strong multi-workspace support and space utilization. There are lots of these kinds of window managers, and I found them very useful for doing real work on a small screen.

I suppose some people will recommend KDE, but I always felt like it got in the way of what I was doing. For what it's worth, it has fairly good multi-desktop support once you set up some hotkeys. I always used ctrl+alt+# to switch to workspace #, and alt+shift+# to move the current window to that workspace. I usually used 9 workspaces (this was back in college, all the lab computers used SUSE), and set up the mouse so I could "push" it against the edges to switch between them, but nowadays I like the 4-sided cube approach more).

E17 is pretty good, I used it for a couple months on my lab computer. It's ridiculously fast, but is also... "quirky". Try http://bodhilinux.com/

And of course, toy interfaces need not enter the discussion.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 April 2012, 13:53:27 by Daniel Beaver »

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

fossala

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 13:49:22 »
OpenCDE, CWM or StumpWM are the best. All seem to do what you want.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 13:58:25 »
Quote from: fossala;578107
CWM
I like this part of the wikipedia page:

Reception

cwm is generally positively received in software minimalist communities[10] and is totally ignored by most other computer users.

fossala

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 13:59:34 »
I use cwm most of the time with OpenBSD as it is part of X.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 14:02:34 »
Quote from: fossala;578119
I use cwm most of the time with OpenBSD as it is part of X.

I'll have to give it a whirl sometime. I've never really spent much time with the BSDs.

fossala

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 14:04:07 »
I would use OpenBSD as my daily. But I run LTSP at home. (terminal servers)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 14:06:35 »
I like dwm + dmenu. It is light as hell and even though you have to recompile it to apply changes to the config file, it takes next to no time to compile and you probably won't be mucking with the config file much after that (if you really need runtime config changes, you're probably more interested in the aesthetic benefits of minimal computing than the performance benefits... to each their own).
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 April 2012, 14:10:06 by sth »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 14:08:22 »
I think awesome is your best bet. But you need to take your time to customize it.

E17 is very experimental afaik. It works, but they don't care about releasing a stable version. Unless they changed their politic lately.

fossala

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 14:13:28 »
e17 is stable. It has been in production for years.

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 14:19:45 »
Being used in production doesn't mean it's stable :P.

There still isn't a stable version released, according to wiki, I just checked.

fossala

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 14:20:49 »
Still, use it for 2 months. Tell me if it crashes.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 14:55:16 »
Quote from: Djuzuh;578145
Being used in production doesn't mean it's stable :P.

There still isn't a stable version released, according to wiki, I just checked.

It's stable - I used it for a couple months and never experienced any crashes or major bugs. It honestly struck me as more stable than Gnome 3, KDE4 or Unity (I've experienced crashes and technical hangups with all of them).

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 14:57:11 »
I think awesomeWM looks intriguing, but it does need a lot of configuration.  Although, I will likely reconfig anything that I install.   E17 is attractive because I know I can grab a community theme that I think is easy to read and go from there.  I'll have to research that in the case of awesome.  I do love dmenu.

Thanks for the ideas.  This might have to be a case of install everything and test it out!
Keyboards:

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 19:36:30 »
In the old days, I used to really like fvwm2-- it's virtually infinitely configurable, and has a lot of addons which in these days are subverted by a desktop environment.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 19 April 2012, 00:27:54 »
I just played around with E17 a bit in a VM.  It is FAST, but it may not be my thing.  Since I don't need the lightest environment, I may just stick with something built in and go the compiz route.   I will be building this weekend.  I'll post whatever I come up with.

I also picked up one of the new Vertex 4 drives for this machine.  I know People will have mixed opinions about that, but its part of the experiment too :-)
Keyboards:

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 19 April 2012, 03:09:08 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 14:06:24 by davkol »

fossala

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 19 April 2012, 03:11:18 »
Quote from: davkol;578653
I'm one of those who recommend KDE Plasma Workspace. KWin supports both compositing (Exposé FTW) and tiling; Plasma has one the best panels around (try vertical with autohide, clock still looks awesome).

Good when it works.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 19 April 2012, 04:54:33 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 14:06:49 by davkol »

fossala

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 19 April 2012, 05:05:37 »
lxde? really? All it is is a configured openbox with some tools pre-installed.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 19 April 2012, 07:46:59 »
Quote from: davkol;578653
KWin supports...  ....tiling
Has it gotten to the point where it can compete with compiz's grid plugin? I haven't used KDE in awhile, but the very rudimentary tiling support has always annoyed me.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 19 April 2012, 13:09:40 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 14:07:15 by davkol »

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 20:25:20 »
OK, so I've had a little time to play around KDE.    I'm actually fairly impressed with KWin.  I used KDE a couple of years ago, some time shortly after they added the plasma experience and I recall loathing it.  I can't say that the whole panel thing is much more intuitive than it was then, but the features added to KWin are noteworthy.  It seems to do most things that I wanted out of compiz, however.... I wish I didn't have to go in and out of each feature to switch between them (window tiling, desktop switching, etc...).

Example: KWin lets you tile all windows in a desktop together, OR all windows across ALL of your virtual desktops together.  Don't see the window you were looking for in the first option? You can't switch to the second option, or ANY OTHER display option without either:
* Selecting something
* Executing the same command again (effectively cancels that effect)
* Pressing Esc

Now, I can't say that this is necessarily worse than compiz, because I haven't tried compiz yet, that will be my next objective, but I can say that while KWin is quite feature rich, I have to conclude that its leaning toward eye candy rather than something really useful for the reasons stated above.  If anyone else has had this issue with compiz, let me know and you'll save me some time!
Keyboards:

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 21:21:25 »
Quote from: digitalleftovers;580421
Example: KWin lets you tile all windows in a desktop together, OR all windows across ALL of your virtual desktops together.  Don't see the window you were looking for in the first option? You can't switch to the second option, or ANY OTHER display option without either:
* Selecting something
* Executing the same command again (effectively cancels that effect)
* Pressing Esc

Ok, it turns out that I was totally off on this.  The titling "effect" is not all that KDE has to offer.  The effect is nice for seeing what is there, but if you want to have full tile, (no overlap, snapping to a grid/spiral/columns, etc...) KDE can actually do "tiling" (like dwm or others) - and it seems to do it well.  Switching to tiling mode is just buried in the system settings > Window appearance and behavior > window behavior > window behavior > Advanced [tab].

Plus, moving windows while in tiling mode is just meta + shift + [h,j,k,l] - yes, Vi directions are implied.  Pretty snazzy.  Stripping off window borders and stuff is a whole different issue, but if I cared about that I wouldn't still be using KDE.  Send-to-desktop
  • is not mapped by default, but you can set it in custom keyboard shortcuts section of the system settings.

Hope this helps someone.
Keyboards:

Offline snowboarder3

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 22:44:54 »
I'm a fan of awesome, but as you said it requires a bit of configuration to get it just how you like it, but is very powerful and incredibly productive when you do :). I'm a noob with linux and I was able to configure it just fine and became fast with it in a few days.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 00:14:07 »
I used awesome for a long time, as well as xmonad which is similar.  Both require configuration.  Work recently upgraded from Fedora to RHEL, which broke my configs somehow, so I'm back on GNOME for now. :-/

Offline sam113101

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 14:15:34 »
I'm using i3 right now and it's cool (it's a tiling WM).
It's not perfect (for example, the shortcuts for resizing suck) but I like it better than other tiling WMs I've tried.
Hoping to hear from you again, your dearest friend, sam113101.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 18:19:54 »
I finally found a really nice manual tiling utility: pywo. It mimicks the functionality of WinSplit Revolution in any Linux WM. The defaults are very bad, IMO - I use this config, which uses CTRL+ALT as the tiling modifiers, and then the buttons
q w e
a s d
z x c
to correspond to which part of the grid on the screen I want to place the windows. Try it out, it's super useful.

[video=youtube_share;VZkbrS0lFkw]http://youtu.be/VZkbrS0lFkw[/video]

I'm using i3 right now and it's cool (it's a tiling WM).
It's not perfect (for example, the shortcuts for resizing suck) but I like it better than other tiling WMs I've tried.
They really do suck, which is too bad considering how 'sane' the rest of the shortcuts are. I still prefer i3's semi-manual tiling method to the automagical layout system that so many others use.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 May 2012, 18:24:07 by Daniel Beaver »

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 19:04:52 »
Update: My original plan was to use multiple monitors for my new system.  Everything seemed to be working fine with a single screen for the last few weeks just using Kwin's built in window tiling.  I set up my own shortcuts to move everything around.  It was great!  Then, my new monitor arrived, and what I thought was a great alternative to more dedicated tiling managers (like many that you have all mentioned) became a complete failure!

KWin can't manage tiled windows on multiple screens.  It is possible to get many windows to sit  in a tiled manner, but only through a complex process of floating and un-floating them.  Even then, adding a new window and letting Kwin decide where to put it will usually result in both screens of windows snapping into a pile on one screen or the other (randomly).  As of this posting I am using KDE 4.8.3.  I've read that there should be some attempts to resolve this in KDE 4.9 by allowing a different activity on either screen, but I'm not certain about fixing window placement across multiple displays if you choose to use a unified desktop.

So, if you have a single monitor, KWin is a viable alternative if you want a tiling experience that is easy to set up, but has lots of features you may never use, or just want to try tiling and be able to switch back to the comfort of layered windows.  If you have multiple displays, see the other wonderful suggestions in this thread (as of KDE 4.8).
Keyboards:

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 06 June 2012, 10:00:14 »
Quote from: digitalleftovers;606392
KWin can't manage tiled windows on multiple screens.

That's disheartening to hear. Linux's bad multi-monitor support always bewilders me - aren't these software devs using multi-monitor setups?

Offline Vermilion

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 10 June 2012, 14:18:13 »
I tried switching to Awesome a few months ago, running Crunchbang. In the end I got frustrated and settled with a combination of Openbox customised to my needs and tmux through fullscreen guake for all my terminal needs. Even though it's not a window manager it's done wonders for my productivity.

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 11 June 2012, 03:33:22 »
I like guake.

Offline tylerlong

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 23 June 2012, 18:12:08 »
I like CWM, but it still involves using the mouse a lot, which is not great for productivity.
I would suggest DWM, you can use it with only the keyboard. It uses Dmenu, which is a great tool, has 9 virtual desktops/workstations, and gives you a lot of screen real estate.
If you are willing to go even more minimal, I would suggest scrotwm with no status bar. You can still use the virtual desktops via win+1-9. It also uses Dmenu.
Have fun

Offline nomad

Re: Window Manager for Productivity?
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 21:58:04 »
I switched to XFCE after upgrading to the newest Ubuntu because I didn't want to deal with Unity and the new version of Gnome.  It's pretty good though light on the visual effects (a plus for me).  I haven't had any problems with multi-monitors.  I've also been able to make it function like my old Gnome 2 setup, which is an added plus.  The one negative is that it sometimes doesn't play nice with Vino (remote desktop sharing software).

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 22 July 2012, 13:19:19 »
Nomad check out prelude4.0 if you like minimal XFWM themes. It's my favorite for sure.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline cr0ben

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 22 July 2012, 15:36:55 »
+1 for DWM

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 22 July 2012, 16:16:51 »
+1 for awesome or dwm
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.