Author Topic: Mr Clean Magic Eraser  (Read 3384 times)

Offline lROOl

Mr Clean Magic Eraser
« on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 16:35:50 »
I am sure this has been brought up before but just in case it hasn't Mr Clean Magic Eraser is amazing for cleaning dirty key caps. I had a couple of white keys that had some kinda scuff on them, I tried Oxy Clean 3 times and it worked a lot but still didn't get them fully clean. I just randomly tried the Magic Eraser and in 1 sec the key looked brand new

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Mr Clean Magic Eraser
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 16:42:24 »
Those are good products, but, in spite of how they feel to the finger, they ARE abrasive.

I have put a couple of shiny spots on keyboard cases, which were still better than the black marks that were removed, but be careful.

I recommend trying a regular white vinyl pencil eraser, like a "Magic Rub" first, and hold the Mr Clean product back as a last resort.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline lROOl

Mr Clean Magic Eraser
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 16:45:22 »
Quote from: fohat.digs;578262
Those are good products, but, in spite of how they feel to the finger, they ARE abrasive.

I have put a couple of shiny spots on keyboard cases, which were still better than the black marks that were removed, but be careful.

I recommend trying a regular white vinyl pencil eraser, like a "Magic Rub" first, and hold the Mr Clean product back as a last resort.

good advice, I dont know what was on these keys but i tried for like 2 days to get them clean and the only thing that worked was the magic eraser

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Mr Clean Magic Eraser
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 16:52:56 »
My usual process is soap and water first, then alcohol, then something like Windex, finishing with something like bleach.

Moving past water-based solvents, and being very careful, I try organic solvents (citrus oil), then naptha (old-fashioned lighter fluid), then acetone.

If none of those dissolve the gunk so that I can wipe it off, I start in with abrasives, beginning with pencil erasers.

I have only found a couple of keys that were actually stained at a penetrating level, where nothing worked to remove the blotch.

Cases are more likely to have really stubborn problems, in my experience.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline lROOl

Mr Clean Magic Eraser
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 17:02:24 »
Quote from: fohat.digs;578273
My usual process is soap and water first, then alcohol, then something like Windex, finishing with something like bleach.

Moving past water-based solvents, and being very careful, I try organic solvents (citrus oil), then naptha (old-fashioned lighter fluid), then acetone.

If none of those dissolve the gunk so that I can wipe it off, I start in with abrasives, beginning with pencil erasers.

I have only found a couple of keys that were actually stained at a penetrating level, where nothing worked to remove the blotch.

Cases are more likely to have really stubborn problems, in my experience.

aw ok see I didn't know if using bleach would hurt the keys good to know thank you

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Mr Clean Magic Eraser
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 April 2012, 17:38:05 »
Bleach won't hurt them but the oil-based and organic solvents could.

I don't think I have ever hurt a PBT cap, but I have certainly wrecked ABS ones by various techniques.
- Jimmy Carter 2015