Author Topic: How much is this vintage BNIB Cherry worth?  (Read 2827 times)

Offline 486

How much is this vintage BNIB Cherry worth?
« on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 21:29:33 »
A while back I bought a BNIB Cherry Personal ID keyboard G81-12000 fairly cheap may I say. There is some bad and good news about this board. Bad news, it uses Cherry MY. But with most bad things, they don't sell people get rid of them and then they become precious. Good news, this keyboards has a mega awesome BioCard and fingerprint scanner which are both very reliable. I just want to know how much it's worth? The seller I bought it from had like 10 of these but I think all sold. Also is it possible to swap Cherry MY switches with Cherry MX switches?  It was made in about 2000. I not thinking of selling it now because I have a feeling these keyboard may go up in price. Maybe?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 21:33:19 »
G81 are more or less worthless. However, the keycaps might be valuable if the model starts with H, or S after the 12000.

Offline 486

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 21:43:50 »
No H or S, however I took it apart and it has a beeper in it. Weird.

Offline 486

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 21:48:15 »
Oh and BTW, does anyone know how to take apart a Cherry MY switch. I want to perform the spring removal mod on it.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 21:48:30 »
Yes, some models have a beep to let the operator know the card read was successful. They are kind of fun to monkey with but are not the best Cherry has to offer. Probably like the 3rd best MY are. Also to answer your other question, MY and MX have no relation and they are not at all inter operable components. No chance to mod one to the other.

Offline 486

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 21:55:10 »
Oh well. I mostly collect IBM stuff and thus have no other Cherries so maybe I should by a vintage Cherry I could use these caps on. Thanks

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 23:05:17 »
If they are laser etched, don't bother.

The lasered two-tone caps are pretty mediocre.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline 486

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 April 2012, 20:23:47 »
Yeah, they are lasered. Wow, well that was a stupid purchase, luckily I didn't pay too much for it.