Author Topic: The ClickClack GIVEAWAY is now over.Winner has been picked.  (Read 32090 times)

Offline Glissant

The ClickClack GIVEAWAY is now over.Winner has been picked.
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 13:21:44 »
Sure, if you guys want that =).

Offline dasein.phil

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 13:24:08 »
Hey! I'm Phil, and I work as a programmer / data analyst.

When I started at my most recent company, I started on the same day as a geekhacker, Kelsin. I had grown up with model Ms (my father is a longtime IBMer) and had a dim understanding that older style boards were preferred by typists, but i hadn't seen  anything quite like the TKL filco with group buy 3 dolch-alike caps on it that he showed up to the office with. I made the mistake of asking where on earth he had gotten his keyboard, and was promptly directed here. I spent some time reading up on the benefits for typists of mechanical keyboards, and was finally swayed by this post on coding horror. Needless to say, I've ended up with a TKL myself, along with a few keys from WASD and the last novelty group buy.

As for why I should get the clickclack? Not only do I not have a clickclack at all yet, sky blue is my favorite color.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 13:33:23 »
added a reason to my last post :D

Offline theOwlol

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 14:18:42 »
Hello there, I am Owlol Im 20 years old and my real name is Thomas.
I live in Norway and work as a plumber.  I play a lot of games on the PC, now days it's Heroes of Newearth, TERA, and of course Diablo 3.
Don't remember how I first learnt about mechanical keyboards, think it was the razer BW, and then searched for more info about cherry MX.

I now own a Ducky Shining with brown switches, CM Storm quickfire rapid with red, and a Ducky DK1087XM with green Alps, deciding on what board to get next ( want an MX blue, thinking about Filco)
I got my little brother(15) into mechanical keyboards, actively trying to get my friends into it as well ;)

Anyway... I should get it because shipping with be cheep for a change,
or if you live close, I could come pick it up as long as you don't rape me ;o

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 15:14:29 »
Another IT dork and former IBMer here. Always had model M's at IBM and had the black one with trackpoint at my desk. I wish I took that black one with me after I left, but I didn't. Hated going back to rubberdome's at my new job and wanted something smaller and quieter than a model M and Google took me to GH. Started out with 2 new brown switch TKL FILCO's, a black case and a white case one. Spent way too much on keycaps: R3/Ragnorock/RedAlert/Cream&Cheese/Cherry full sets and too many novelty key caps to count. Thinning out the heard now though so everything except Cream&Cheese and Cherry full sets are staying and everything else is being slowly sold off. I should win the CC so I can give it to my boss so he stops bugging me about them, lol
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 16:49:33 »
I can't remember the exact reason why I started posting here. I think my first post was related to finding a KB-5181 and not knowing what it was. I think I had read an article on TomsHardware about Model M's and why they were so great, so i scoured the back room of the shop i work at and found the aforementioned KB. Ripster helped me determine what switch type it used, and i fell for the feel. Since then i got an M off eBay and a Unicomp in the classifieds here for a tidy sum, as well as a couple of other KB's that nobody wanted for cheap. Cleaned them all up and gave them a second chance. Since I mostly only use them at work, I mainly only use ones that have Winkeys (lot of shortcuts i'm used to). Been keeping my eye out for a modern mech that isn't going to bleed my wallet. I've got one kid and one on the way.

In either case, as I stated , I don't have a modern mech, So I really don't deserve the keycap as i would not use it outside of sitting it on my desk. I mostly just wanted to feel important.

If they made BS skulls/novelty caps i might have picked one up already though :p
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 17:35:01 »
My love for technology old and new would have lead me here one way or another I think, but I'm a gamer and I think a fair amount of people like myself found this site in the quest to improve your APM : P

I randomly found this site in the hunt for mechanical keyboard information (relating to gaming, specifically CS and SC2). I remember first finding the cherry MX wiki and being slightly overwhelmed with it and the vast amount of information posted in these forums. I lurked all summer last year and made an account after deciding on a Leopold. I remember waiting for the MX clear boards to stock and last minute changing my order to blues when they showed up. It was all down hill from then on, the great community that resides here definitely kept me coming back as well as my thirst for information and trying to find the perfect board.

I think I should win the skull because I don't have any MX clacks ;_;
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 May 2012, 17:39:32 by JesuswasaZombie »

Offline metafour

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 18:01:29 »
Quote from: cactux;593493
IMO you shall exclude people with cc.

+1 =)

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 18:10:45 »
I'm a software developer just out of school. I got into keyboards after I learned about mechs and started earning enough money to buy my own. I do a lot on my keyboards like gaming and coding. My first mech keyboard was an IBM model M I found at some electronics graveyard.

That being said, I'm not entering in the giveaway. I just thought I would share some information about myself. :)

Offline Lorem-Ipsum

• (╯°□°)╯︵ɯnsdı-ɯǝɹoן
    • mattwall.co.uk/
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 18:36:43 »
I don't even have a mechanical keyboard yet. I joined up to ask a few questions on which to go for and am now waiting until payday to get a Filco.
Currently Using: Corsair K65 (MX Reds)
Own: IBM Model M | Logitech Illuminated | Filco Majestouch 2 (MX Blues) [Waiting for Toxic] | Cherry D-91275

"In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"

Offline Glissant

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 19:35:56 »
As previously mentioned, I won't exclude anyone. If you have a CC, and decide to enter that's your choice. If I start excluding some people I will have to exclude others. People with HHKB's come to mind. And moderators. And people with less than 20 posts, or people that have been a member for less than a month.
Having a CC shouldn't exclude you. It's not anybodies fault that you got your CC and they didn't. I got mine by throwing money at the screen, but not everyone can or will do that for key caps. With that said I wouldn't have entered this giveaway now that I have my Clacks.

Anybody have any objections to me posting the list of entrants?

Quote from: WhiteRice;594250
I'm a software developer just out of school. I got into keyboards after I learned about mechs and started earning enough money to buy my own. I do a lot on my keyboards like gaming and coding. My first mech keyboard was an IBM model M I found at some electronics graveyard.

That being said, I'm not entering in the giveaway. I just thought I would share some information about myself. :)

That's the spirit. Did you get the keys yet?
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 May 2012, 19:37:58 by Glissant »

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 19:42:56 »
Not yet. Waiting for them and an aluminum case to complete the package :D

Offline Game Theory

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 21:41:19 »
My first computer was an Atari 800 which I believe was mechanical.  Self taught myself programming.  Started in nuclear engineering and loved computers but never considered them for a career for some [dumb] reason.  Switched to economics.  Moved to Wisconsin for a job and noticed we had an old keyboard.  I asked if I could have it and it turned out to be a Northgate Omni Key 101.  I was concerned it would break and I'd be quality keyboard-less so I bought an Avant Stellar Prime.  Years past ....

After being a workaholic for a while and getting too much personal serenity from exhaustion a massive multi-year project ended.  I became unsatisfied with my other hobbies and wanted to learn something new.  I saw a review a keyboard with a plate with no upper case and started searching about it.  That search led me here.  Since then I've taken up learning about mechanicals, electronics and soldering.  I now no longer need to worry about running out of quality keyboards:)  Some of my coworkers now know quite a bit more as well about mechanical.

Why should I get the keycap?  Hmm ... .  Because the guilt over winning it would occupy my mind?!?  That doesn't sound like a persuasive argument.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 May 2012, 18:02:46 by Game Theory »
... he's just a poor kid from the stupid ages.
Realforce 104UG | Realforce 91U | IBM SSK | IBM 5251 BeamSpring | IBM Model F XT |  IBM Model F AT | IBM SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX Blue) | KMAC LE (MX Green)| Northgate Omni Key 101 | Avant Stellar Prime

Offline Lukasevic

• World Famous Gamer™
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 21:58:28 »
Updated my original post.  I was just excited to write about how I became a part of geekhack that I forgot to say why I should win or what I would do with it.. lol :lol:

Offline audioave10

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 22:46:30 »
This is a great thing for you to do. I'm David (a very old geezer), and have always been a hardware geek. We build gaming PC's in my apartment as it has become my hobby. Always looking for the latest popular hardware had brought me here. I'm not sure I remember how. I had a VIC 20 back in 1982 but didn't get very far with it.
I've recently added the CMStorm Quickfire (blues) to what I have in my sig. I would feel strange saying I deserve to win anything for free...but I would like my name thrown in the pot. I don't own any CC keys but I love what ClickClack has created.
Thank you!
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 23:46:09 »
I'm an 18 year old guy from outside Philly. I'll be attending UC Berkeley come next fall. I'm a pretty technically attuned person, and have started developing games this year after learning to code in java the year before. I'm a pretty avid PC gamer, and I'm pretty into computer hardware, although I don't follow it as intensely as I used to. Fun fact about me: I'm a pretty decent chess player. Big fan of the chess.

I first ran into mechanical keyboards when I was looking for a gaming keyboard back in '09-'10 or so, and stumbled upon the Model M from an article on Dan's Data, I think it was. My buddy bought me one off eBay as a Christmas present, and I was using that for a while. Then I remembered there was a wider variety and went googling late last summer for a mech keyboard guide. I ended up here, but wrote it off. I later came back when I realized I was sitting on a goldmine of an SSK my Comp Sci teacher had given me and wanted some pricing info. Been hanging around ever since, and have tried a ton of boards, settling on Blues, BS, and white alps as my preferred switches.

I can't justify why I should win the skull. I just like the color, and don't have any CCs. I'm posting here mainly because I like that you're using this key to help the community to better get to know one another.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline Fuzzy Dunlop

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 23:55:10 »
Quote from: cactux;593493
IMO you shall exclude people with cc.
+1

Not everyone has the the fast fingers/Internet connection to buy CCs at retail. Or the wheelbarrow full of disposable income to buy those same caps at resale. May the winner be too poor to own a Realforce, and too rich to own a Logitech.
Quote from: demik;593497
OCD and this is what I'm focused on at the moment.
This cuts uncomfortably close to my own day-to-day reality.

Topre ReɅlforce 86UB   |   Razer DeathAdder Black Edition

Offline PixelVandalism

• YouTube
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 02:13:40 »
Edited my original post.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 16:57:04 »
I was thinking about making this available over at Deskthority too. What do you guys think? Trollolololol
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 May 2012, 17:00:02 by Glissant »

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 17:01:35 »
Even harder to prevent against multiple entries. Some people may not have the same pseudonym on both site.

Or they created a dummy account just for this :D.

But it's your call.

Offline Nighted

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 17:45:03 »
I got into keyboards because I need to type stuff. Mainly words, but also lots of other stuff for scripting/coding.
^ 100% teleprompter free.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Game Theory

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 18:32:02 »
If you have the slightest inkling [and you do] then go ahead:)
Realforce 104UG | Realforce 91U | IBM SSK | IBM 5251 BeamSpring | IBM Model F XT |  IBM Model F AT | IBM SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX Blue) | KMAC LE (MX Green)| Northgate Omni Key 101 | Avant Stellar Prime

Offline Game Theory

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 18:34:04 »
Quote from: Glissant;594926
I was thinking about making this available over at Deskthority too. What do you guys think? Trollolololol

If you even slightly want too feel free.

Offline OddOne

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 19:16:15 »
I played video games as a kid, but lost interest through college.  When my wife became pregnant with my son, her biggest symptom was tiredness.  She started going to sleep earlier and earlier and being the good husband that I am I always stayed in by her side.  To fill my time, I dusted off the old games and played back through WC3, D2, CS:S, and then SC2.

With SC2 I started updating the computer to max out the graphics settings.  Once that was done I looked down at my inputs devices.  Still naive, I thought paying much more than $25 for a mouse and keyboard was nuts but luckily, NewEgg and CoolerMaster had slick deal on a CM Storm Spawn mouse.  I picked it up for $20 after an instant and mail in rebate!  I immediately realized the advantages of a well made input device and started looking at keyboards.

Still mostly naive, I ended up picking up a CM Storm Quickfire w/ MX Reds impulsively.  While waiting for it arrive, I did a bunch of research to learn more about what I just purchased which ultimately lead me to Geek Hack.  I was very happy to see how well received this keyboard was and learned so much about mechanical keyboards.  Once it arrived, I fell in love right away and knew I was in for trouble.  Since then i have replaced my work key board with a Rosewill RK-9000 w/ MX Browns and have picked up a old school Genovation number pad with White Apls.

I think I should win the ClickClack for being the good husband who stayed home at nights with his pregnant wife (even if she would fall asleep at 8:00PM) instead going out boozing and causing all kinds of shenanigans throughout town!
CM Quickfire Rapid   |   Rosewill RK-9000BR  |  CM Quickfire Rapid  |

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 20:56:51 »
In all honesty, I skipped a page or two but did not see the obvious question, "where did you get the CC Skulls in Canada"? Oh yeah, I deserve the cap because I'm really on hard times, no car, no house, no job, can't pay the bills, alcoholic, wife soon to leave ... and this could make it all better. Hell, I don't even own a keyboard.

Seriously, for the group buys i'm in ... I do have a little spare cash lying around. :)

John

Offline balancebox

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 21:28:02 »
I always wanted a clickclack alway sold out...
Filco MJ2 104 w/ Cherry Black | Filco MJ2 104 w/ Cherry Brown | KBT Pure w/ Cherry Blue | CMStorm QFR w/ Cherry Ghetto Green | Ducky One w/ Gateron Green |

Offline Glissant

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 21:40:17 »
Quote from: jcrouse;595042
In all honesty, I skipped a page or two but did not see the obvious question, "where did you get the CC Skulls in Canada"?
John

My dealer lives there.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50693[/ATTACH]
(I'm not using the captioned version in fear that moderators will have a fit over a certain word)

But seriously, I bought them from a guy that lives in Canada. He had an auction, and I gave him all my money.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50694[/ATTACH]

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 18 May 2012, 23:30:26 »
Well, my name is Nate... not too eventful kinda guy. Go to school, come home, do homework, etc. :rofl:
How I got into keyboards is kinda cool (in my opinion)...I found a Hackaday article where somebody took a Model M and put a USB hub, flash drive, and USB wireless card in there to make the keyboard the ultimate keyboard for virus fixing... so I found Dfj, who isn't too active now, and he sold me my Model M in my signature. I soon after acquired the Zenith from my Grandpa. Finally I purchased my Clears board back in December. So it's been a journey... I also now am a Moderator... I think that I deserve the Click Clack because I believe in the idea of IF I were to ever part with it, I would sell/give it the same way that I acquired it... just to be fair.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 21 May 2012, 13:32:58 »
Only slightly more than two weeks left of the giveaway!

I am sure somebody has had the thought about me not posting anything myself, to sort of lead by example I guess. Don't worry. I am planning to take the time to make a post myself. And no, it doesn't mean I am able to win the keycap myself xD.

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 01:09:24 »
You've probably already figured out that my name is Chris and I drive a WRX ;)

I've been into computers ever since I was a kid growing up in the late 80s-early 90s, and I always remembered using the clicky Model M keyboards.  This was the seed planted in my mind that would eventually lead me to GH many years later.  I started building gaming PCs and overclocking 13 years ago and always made good hardware choices except for my input devices.  I was a victim of the rubber dome mass-marketing machine and bought way too many Logitech products.  After graduating college in 2008, the job market sucked and I stumbled across an opportunity to start a small internet resale business with a friend from school.  This led to long hours on the computer, and the rubber dome was killing my fingers & wrists.  I found geekhack, lurked around here quite a bit and decided on my first mech kb, a filco tkl with browns and I instantly fell in love with it!  I didn't register at GH at the time and didn't look around here enough to realize that clickclack was here, but I had noticed CF keycaps at elitekeyboards and was dead set on getting one.  After multiple failed attempts to get one over a span of many many months I finally realized that cc was here at GH and made an account specifically to PM him!  So basically, clickclack's awesome skulls brought me here, I quickly realized that I needed more keyboards and keycap sets, and novelty keys, and more cc's, and now I can't remember if this is real life or am I playing Pokemon?!

At first I was going to abstain from entering for the skull since I already have one + dibs, but then I decided that it would be fun to wear it on a keyboard for a few months before passing it along to a clack-less gh'er! (the giving away of it being the reason I think I am a worthy winner :)

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 02:14:17 »
Awesome dude! I have been into keyboards for about a year now and have always failed to get my hands on a CC! I love the community here, whenever I participate in a GB I buy extra to sell in the UK, with any profits going to GH.

Got to give the UK keyboard owners a kick to get things going though!

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 02:53:44 »
Oh what to say. Just another average Joe, loving my keyboard.

Guess it started only a few months ago. Decided to build a new gaming rig, and a friend told me to look into mechanical boards. Bought a ducky with black switches. Fell in love. Can't help but spend time and moneyz to pimp the board out. All the while slowly planning to grow my collection. Including a sexy pink race whenever they ship out(hopefully in June). And someday down the road, gotta get myself one of them lovely Topre boards, mmmm yea.

As for clickclacks, just love the look and rarity of them. Saw a sale for them once, no chance at getting one. So I would love the random chance at a freebie!

This has gotta be one of the coolest things one could do for a give-away, cheers Glissant, a hero among men.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 03:34:09 »
Dang I was rolled back!

I have been into keyboards for about a year and now I am obsessed! I have missed out on every CC buy but then I don't think that that makes me special! I would love a CC cap on my board, I am currently starting to buy larger quantities on GB's to sell on here in the Uk with any profit going to GH, I love the community here and want to give something back.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 03:50:41 »
I'm looking to end this a week earlier than I initially thought, so the new "deadline" to submit an entry is May 29th 2012 at 1:00PM PST.

Offline Occi

• http://www.thevoid.no
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 05:19:04 »
Nice, a fellow norwegian, a kind one too! :)

My name is Tim and I'm 20 years old and studying and working with IT.

I discovered mechanical keyboards through the technology board at 4chan (believe it or not, there's actually valuable information there from time to time!) a long time ago, but haven't bothered really looking into it until recently. I've tried a SteelSeries 6Gv2 and a Corsair MK-85. The reds that MK-85 has was rather nice feel to them, but it was HUUUEG. 6Gv2 looks and feels nice too, but I'm not very fond of the hard MX Blacks. After trying these and mechanical keyboards becoming increasingly popular the last year with more "mainstream" brands producing them I've read more about them and recently bought a Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with MX Brown which should arrive today.

I think I should win this because shipping and customs (VAT) is expensive as **** here in Norway, so ordering anything like this is much more expensive than it should be. Would not mind one of these at all to test and see if I like it!

Offline Glissant

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 25 May 2012, 08:03:08 »
I am planning on giving away a midnight blue ClickClack skull after this giveaway is over. That one will only be for people that don't already have one, and it won't be as easy as just having to say a little bit about who you are and why you should win. Look for that one the day that this giveaway ends.

A little update on this giveaway. If everything goes as planned there might be a little extra in it for whoever wins.

Thanks to everyone that has put in the effort so far! It makes me happy to see that people are willing to share a little about themselves.

I see my hidden dt troll post went by mostly unnoticed.

Offline njvz

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 12:30:33 »
Hey, I'm Nick (I'm the person rolling my eyes, not the old lady) and I ride bikes to drive cars all day long.

Basically, I'm a glorified car mechanic who rides a bike in Chicago because it's easier than driving to every car I service. I've been an avid cyclist for most of my life, and a computer nerd since I jammed my parents' credit cars into a 3.5" floppy drive. I spend most of my free time lusting after cars I see on Top Gear, playing League of Legends, walking my puppy Pete, and hanging out my with girlfriend, April (also an avid cyclist). She just graduated from college, which I dropped out of. We're both happy with the end results, and are getting a place together in a few months.

I got into mechanical keyboards after unknowingly using them most of my life. I had a cherished IBM Model M that I used through most of my childhood (my parents are programmers both, we were a very computer-centric family, and I had my own computer since I was six). It was first connected to my 486, and then my Pentium II with 450mhz and an upgradable Matrox card. They taught me how to build my first computer at 9 or 10, and I built my ultra gaming rig at 12, a Pentium III 1ghz with 256 mb of RAM and a Radeon 8500. God, I thought that was so cool. So cool in fact, that I just *NEEDED* to have a sweet backlit Saitek board. Like a dweeb, I threw my old Model M in the basement for the new hotness that was my new Saitek. Right away, it didn't feel as cool, but I forgot about the Model M in time. I didn't even know there was such a thing as rubber domes and mechanical keyboards, so engrossed was I in new processors and video cards and playing CS 1.3 (then 1.4, then 1.5, then 1.6, etc).

One day, about 10 years later, with the release of SC2, I was watching a lot of SC2 streams, and I started hearing a familiar sound. I asked my roommate Sage (who has been using the same Model M since 5th grade (I kept a close circle of nerd friends throughout my life)), what it was that was so LOUD in the stream. He said it sounded like a mechanical keyboard, and I realized it did sound a lot like his keyboard. I did some research and found out that mechanical keyboards with all sorts of different switches existed and all of a sudden, my dumpstered Dell keyboard seemed very cheap and sad. I wanted to try out a Cherry blue switch board and found a used Blackwidow on ebay for 50 dollars. I pulled the trigger and right away I loved it. Then I got a red switch board, and then a brown, and then another blue, and here we are. I have a board for when I have to work in the office, I have one for playing games, and one for my writing station and one for my girlfriend's house (which I recently discovered she had been using (which is awesome)).

I guess the reason why I think I should win this is because I have a keyset that F2 skull would match perfectly! I already got one recently, but I don't really see myself needing two skulls so I would probably end up selling my current skull (a MX Mint Green) on for the same ridiculously awesome price I received it for ($20 dollars shipped from the magnificent metafour)! But probably only to someone who doesn't already have one.

edit: my alternate reason: IT'S MY BIRTHDAY TODAY! I can't believe I forgot that.

Whoa, I wrote a lot, sorry about that. tl;dr - keyboards keyboards skulls YEAH!
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 May 2012, 12:36:48 by njvz »
Boards: Noppoo Choc Mini | Leopold TKL | KBTalking Pure | Rosewill RK-9000 | IBM model M | Filco Ninja Majestouch FS
Filco Ninja Majestouch FS

Offline Zamorph

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 13:16:52 »
Hmmm
Nursing student, currently living up life to the fullest!  I got into keyboards because I was tired of using my old POS dell rubber dome keyboard and wanted something new.  I googled which awesome keyboard to get and I was taken here!  I got hooked on ripster's amusing jokes and just kept comming back.  Why should I win?  Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, I say no more.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 May 2012, 00:38:17 by Zamorph »

Offline Distilled

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 23:31:44 »
Hi there GH,
Name is Julian, and I am a medical student from Aus.

I first discovered mechanical keyboards and GH while procrastinating during study for an exam last year. I was getting sick of typing my books of notes on a 5yo Microsoft rubber dome. Despite many of Ripster’s comments I went with a ducky and have never looked back. Now days I cant stop singing the praises of Mechanical keyboards, so much so that even my very nerdy friends think Im epically nerdy :D.

Since then Ive spent the last 12 months stalking these boards, wishing I had the money to buy just about everything that pops up (8 years of study leaves the bank rather empty). Epically sad that I missed the Starcraft keys.

So I think I should win they keycap because free is literally all I can afford. One of these is worth close to my weekly food budget :D.

p.s. sorry to be so cheeky as to make my 1st post trying to get free stuff :P.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 May 2012, 02:39:32 by Distilled »

Offline Glissant

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 05:23:07 »
What happened to the model M, njvz? You can't just tell a story and stop talking about the poor rejected Model M ;). And I actually read everything that is posted. It makes it a lot easier to stay focused when you see that someone has put in the effort.

Distilled, welcome out of the shadows and into the harsh unforgiving light of public posting. It's not cheeky to make it your first post. Some people might get paranoid about having a giveaway like this where people take advantage of me being slack on rules, but if people want to be dishonest in any way to try to cheat their way to a piece of plastic, then more power to them.
I realize that it might sound like I am directing the latter part of my comment directly at you, but rest assured I am just speaking in general terms =).

About two days [strike]Under ten[/strike] left of this giveaway. I am still working on a new one, and I need some help from you guys when it comes to picking the main prize. Head over to this thread to vote .
I really shouldn't call the next one a giveaway, since it's more of a contest sort of thing. Oh well.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 May 2012, 05:54:12 by Glissant »

Offline Solanin

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 05:29:23 »
Wssup, good afternoon to all GHers (it's afternoon here)

My name is Nam, graduated, office workers, blah blah blah effing blah, nothing special to tell about my life.

Except for mechanical keyboards. Why?
Almost my whole life I have been using cheap-azz, dirty, and sucky rubber dome keyboards (mitsumi, logitech, genius, . . . you name it). And that would have remain the same, until one night:
I was watching Mythbusters , Adam and Jamie were doing an experiment about what is the dirtiest thing or whatever similar, and the result is keyboard is the worst, the best kind of worst , much worse than a toilet seat. And I thought "damn, no more ****ty keyboard that I can't even clean". Then I do a search through to get a special, personal (and clean) keyboard. After 2 minutes of searching, and 1 days of reading, I decide that I should get a mechanical keyboard (If you have to do something, better do it thoroughly). And pop, here I am!

Anw, I think I should win the CC keycap becoz I like that blueish color so much; blue, white, blue of white are, and will always be my favorite and lucky color.
End of post.

Offline props_go_round

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 06:04:31 »
Hello Everybody,

I really started getting into keyboards around 2009. I was looking for a "gaming" keyboard around that time, and things went downhill from there ;-) One search lead to another, and before you know it, I found my way to GH. Started off lurking, but there was just too much good stuff going on behind the scenes, so I finally made an account just this month. Like most everyone, I started off on a Model M in the 90s. In the early 2000s, I had a Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite. I got a Steelseries 7g for my "gaming" needs in 2009. More recently, this year I bought an all white Realforce 87U "silent" (87uws-ek) and I am expecting to get a "silent" 87u 10th anniversary in the mail this week that I also purchased from EK.

I was born and raised in the California Bay Area and continue to enjoy my time spent here. When I'm not obsessing over all things keyboard related, I enjoy riding my road bike, reading, and video-games(DIII)....Oh, and beer, you can't forget the beer. I love me some good craft beer!

Go easy on this n00b. I'm hoping I catch some luck and claim my first skull!

Offline megnin

• Topre, or not Topre? That is the question.
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 06:36:39 »
Good morning Everybody,

My name is David, I'm a retired Navy Veteran and I love to collect shiny things.  I usually get a little carried away with it.  I've collected Neodymium Magnets (for making those geometric sculptures), World War II battle rifles (M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, Mauser K98, Mosin Nagant [Enemy at the Gate movie] and various other Swedish and Swiss rifles), Miniature Pinschers (They are the same color as Cherry MX switches. I have a Red, two Browns and a Black) and now keyboards.

I started collecting keyboards a few years ago when I found the DAS Keyboard online and thought the blank keys were just the most "uber geek" thing in the world.  The first one was a Keytronic with nice rubber dome switches, but a while later they released the DAS Keyboard II which was a moded Cherry keyboard with MX Blues and blank keys.  That hooked me on mechanical keyboards, so I went in search of more.  I found Diatec and the Filco 104 key Bluetooth keyboard and was obsessed with getting one.  After finding a Japanese buying agent and about two months I had one.  It's still my favorite keyboard.  The DAS Ultimate came out and I got one of those.  Then I found a reference to GeekHack.org in a review of a Filco on Amazon.com while searching for a keyboard around Christmas time and things just exploded out of control from there.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 51596[/ATTACH]

I should win the CC because no keyboard collection is complete without one.
“The only difference between me and a madman is I'm not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 06:40:33 »
Don't you need some sort of very annoying legal papers to hold those weapons ? °°.

Also, I'd love to see a pic of your weapon collection.

Offline megnin

• Topre, or not Topre? That is the question.
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 07:32:17 »
I have the appropriate FFL license.  I'll post pics in another thread in the "off topic" sub-forum... once I find them.  Thanks for asking :-)
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 May 2012, 08:20:18 by megnin »
“The only difference between me and a madman is I'm not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Offline njvz

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 14:22:02 »
Quote from: Glissant;601188
What happened to the model M, njvz? You can't just tell a story and stop talking about the poor rejected Model M ;). And I actually read everything that is posted. It makes it a lot easier to stay focused when you see that someone has put in the effort.

Distilled, welcome out of the shadows and into the harsh unforgiving light of public posting. It's not cheeky to make it your first post. Some people might get paranoid about having a giveaway like this where people take advantage of me being slack on rules, but if people want to be dishonest in any way to try to cheat their way to a piece of plastic, then more power to them.
I realize that it might sound like I am directing the latter part of my comment directly at you, but rest assured I am just speaking in general terms =).

About two days [strike]Under ten[/strike] left of this giveaway. I am still working on a new one, and I need some help from you guys when it comes to picking the main prize. Head over to this thread to vote .
I really shouldn't call the next one a giveaway, since it's more of a contest sort of thing. Oh well.

I was back home two months ago and took some time to dig it up. The IBM was much worse for its stay in a musty cardboard box. It had had a box of books put on top of it, most of the keycaps were popped off or cracked and I'm pretty sure there was about two pounds of dust in the chassis. I don't think it works, but it is sitting in my old room and maybe I'll restore it someday. It's the least it deserves. In the meantime, I have a Model M I bought from bavman and that works superbly. My mother is also developing an interest in mechanicals, and she said she might restore it. She's been hacking since the 80s, so she probably would appreciate it even more than I can. Its story isn't finished yet, but my time with it is probably at an end.
Boards: Noppoo Choc Mini | Leopold TKL | KBTalking Pure | Rosewill RK-9000 | IBM model M | Filco Ninja Majestouch FS
Filco Ninja Majestouch FS

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
    • http://csm725.com
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 04:39:14 »
Ok, so a little about myself:
I was born in California (Silicon Valley) and lived there 13 years. Right before I moved to Israel, I wanted to buy myself a desktop rig with the money I had saved up. I saw a thread on Overclock.net about the Ducky mechanical keyboards, and then ripster's links and spamming eventually led me to Geekhack.

I remember reaper/~reaper helping me choose my first ever board, a KBC Poker. I was going to get a Leopold in Browns but they were OOS.
After using the Poker a bit, I decided the form factor was not for me and sold it. I purchased the Filco Majestouch in MX Browns that I use to this day.
But wait, there's more! Upon moving to Israel and a couple of months later (was around January I think) I got bored of MX Browns. I wanted to try out the Reds that were hyped so much in 2011. I bought a CM Storm Quick Fire in Reds for $110 ($50 customs BTW) and used it for a bit... but noticed that: a) the left Alt switch was not working and b) that Reds bored me and were not as fun to type on.
I switched back to MX Browns. I then got a Ducky 1087 in MX Blues from Overclock.net. I immediately did not like Blues and this 1087 is currently pending sale, and I use my Filco to this day.

Keycaps wise, I used stock caps until around November 2011, then I used qtan engraved PBT until April 2012 when I got imsto thick blank PBT.

I would love to win the ClickClack cap because they are so rare around here and so beautiful, and also because I feel like I've been a good seller (no selling for profit off tsangan's novelty buy) and people making bucketloads of profit on their ClickClacks ticks me off because ClickClack puts lots of effort into these. This cap, if it is ever sold, will be done so for the original price (I don't know what that is, but I assume around $5-$10).

Thank you so very much OP for the wonderful opportunity!!! Don't see many generous members around GH. Well done and kudos.

csm

Offline bavman

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 17:25:00 »
I live in Kansas, but not on a farm! Studying at KU right now...hope my avatar didn't give it away.

One day my friend decided to run into my desktop and snapped a wireless dongle for my keyboard, sad day. So I bought a sidewinder x4 but I absolutely hated the feel. I stumbled around in internet for a while till I found OCN mech keyboard guide and the rest is history. Not sure how I came upon GH though...seriously can't remember.
I should win the CC because all CC's blue caps are smexy and I must have it :D

Offline Greenbean

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 20:30:21 »
Quote from: Glissant;593449
All you have to do is tell us a little about yourself, how you got into keyboards, and why YOU should win the skull.
Oh, and before I forget! Post your entry right here in the thread (thanks I3oilermaker).

Hi, I was born in Edmonton, Alberta in Canada but I have lived in Vancouver for most of my life. I remember buying the first modern-age desktop from a Radioshack nearby my home. I brought back the keyboard and was quite content with it even though it was heavy and clunky. To be honest, I thought it was more than a rubber-dome keyboard because it was so heavy. Just about a year ago, I opened up the keyboard to clean it and discovered that I was completely incorrect. This was simply a heavy rubber-dome keyboard.

Even until today, I loved gaming as it is a big hobby of mine. I was looking for a new keyboard that could give me that slight edge in game (silly, I know). I looked at several "gaming keyboards" but eventually I saw a few posts in every forum stating that they feel no different from a regular keyboard. There were always a couple of posters that recommended the Steelseries 7G (the 6GV2 wasn't out at the time). I did some research on how the 7G felt. People thought it was heavy and not ideal for gamers who constantly press their keys. That's when I found GeekHack. I read part of the Wiki and saw that there were a few different types of MX Cherry switches. Initially, I had my eyes set on the MX Browns because I prefer a tactile and slight stroke. Then I changed to the MX Reds because they were super light and smooth. However, after a long debate with myself, I discovered that linears were not right for me. I settled on MX Blues because of word that Browns were mushy. Even then, I didn't know if I wanted to dish out the big bucks on a Filco or Leopold. I waited because I heard CMStorm was coming out with a keyboard. It turns out they released the QFR which was OEMed by Costar. A couple weeks later, I bought myself a QFR. I loved it. Here I am, awaiting on some cash for new keycaps. I saw this thread after browsing around GH and thought, "why not give it a shot?"

Honestly, I don't know if I deserve it more than some of the other forumers here. I probably don't because I'm no where near a veteran and have not provided as much advice of some of the others. I'll just state what I have done. Just about a week ago, I took the time to write out a review of what my QFR was like. Writing the review was fun and I hope some potential buyers found it helpful. Anyways, I don't poach CCs and sell them for a huge gain. I definitely could if I chose to, but I don't see any purpose in doing this because I feel that any profit that is made should be CC's and not a poacher's profit. However, that's personal opinion and I can understand why other people choose to do that. If I by any miraculous chance win this blue CC, I can say that I will not sell it ever. I'll take it as a gift and souvenir because it would be my first ever non-stock keycap.

Thanks, OP.

Offline nolliepoper

« Reply #99 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 23:58:53 »
Hello. I am a currently in college studying Computer Science. The first time I heard about mechanical keyboards, which I believe was Starcraft related, I read a mechanical keyboard guide and with little research I soon found geekhack and have been a member ever since. As well as, enjoying typing and gaming too. The reason I should win the ClickClack Skull is because I have never had one before.
Filco MJ2 TKL (Brown)
¯\\_(ツ)_/¯