Author Topic: Cherry Switch Tester Summer 2012 Tour  (Read 25308 times)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Cherry Switch Tester Summer 2012 Tour
« on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 03:52:53 »
For round two of the Cherry Switch Tester, litster and I have four testers.  Three will tour the US while the fourth goes up north to Canada.

Please PM me or post in the thread when you have received the tester.  Also please post your thoughts on the switches.  If you'd like, take a fun picture with the tester and post that as well.

For the US testers, ship via USPS small flat rate box with delivery confirmation, and PM the tracking number to me as soon as you ship.  Please keep the tester no more than three days.  Please keep the bubble wrap and enclosed switch legend and ship it with the tester to the next person in your chain.  I will PM you the next address when you need it.

I'm not familiar with the shipping options inside Canada, so please just do something reasonable and remember to pack the tester well.

West
[table=class: grid, align: left]
[tr][td]Username[/td][td]Received[/td][td]Shipped[/td][td][/tr]
[tr][td]input nirvana[/td][td]15 May[/td][td]19 May?[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]catcherintherye[/td][td]21 May[/td][td]25 May[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]wrtcedar[/td][td]29 May[/td][td]1 June[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]weenis[/td][td]4 June[/td][td]8 June[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]reaper[/td][td]11 June[/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]sherryton[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]kdash4[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]NorrisB[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[/table]

Midwest
[tr][td]Internetlad[/td][td]17 May[/td][td]21 May[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]The Ricker[/td][td]23 May[/td][td]29 May[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Seanmiz[/td][td]5 June[/td][td]8 June[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]nullstring[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]mkaresh[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]paulcalypse[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Appeac[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Krunchy[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[/table]

East
[tr][td]fohat.digs[/td][td]17 May[/td][td]19 May[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]whiskerBox[/td][td]23 May[/td][td]?? May[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Gualichu04[/td][td]28 May (?)[/td][td]31 May[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]HamsterDog[/td][td]2 June[/td][td]7 June[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]dorkvader[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]jrockroll[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]MetaCyanide[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]yttrium[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]oldCrow[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[/table]

Canada
[tr][td]Snowmill[/td][td]10 June[/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]fantus[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]nar[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]heuristicist[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]CanadaRox[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]ClackHead[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]birthdaymonkey[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[/table]
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 June 2012, 15:53:37 by hashbaz »

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 03:53:04 »
Budding in fohat.digs' Georgia peach tree:

Getting eaten by a bronze bear: (input nirvana)

Making mechanical keyboards and other electronic devices at Corsair: (catcherintherye)

The Ricker's got spirit, how about you?
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 May 2012, 20:05:28 by hashbaz »

Offline The Ricker

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 08:48:56 »
Thanks, hashbaz! Looking forward to seeing the success of the second round!

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 12:10:56 »
I'm set to get my tester keypad today.

I assume the "3 day" rule applies to business days? Wouldn't do much good to have it sitting in a USPS facility on a saturday/sunday.

EDIT: In either case i'll probably try to ship it out friday if I do indeed get it today, so the point is moot for myself
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 12:12:21 »
Quote from: Internetlad;594096
I'm set to get my tester keypad today.

I assume the "3 day" rule applies to business days? Wouldn't do much good to have it sitting in a USPS facility on a saturday.

Yeah, of course.  I just don't want people keeping it for a week.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 12:17:44 »
Quote from: hashbaz;593850
I'm not familiar with the shipping options inside Canada, so please just do something reasonable and remember to pack the tester well.

IIRC Canada Post doesn't have anything nearly as cost effective and efficient as the pre-paid boxes that USPS has. They have hard parcel envelopes but they run at 25 bucks for a regional one day ship, so not really suitable.

Last thing I shipped with canada post was my Fiance Visa to enter the states 2 years ago lol

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 13:19:57 »
Sorry for the delay.  Would the Canadian folks who are on the Canadian tour list PM me to confirm your spot?  

Click here to PM litster

Thanks.

Canada
[tr][td]Snowmill[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]fantus[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]nar[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]heuristicist[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]CanadaRox[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]ClackHead[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]birthdaymonkey[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[/table]

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 May 2012, 14:39:04 »
Well, eagarly checked at lunch but no small postal box. Highly doubt that i'll get it later today because that's how USPS operates round these parts.

I'll expect to get it tomorrow.

Offline Appeac

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 00:23:38 »
Really excited for this, thanks for all the time you've put into it.
FC660C
122 Terminal M w/ Soarer board

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 10:45:19 »
Received the Cherrypicker today. There really isn't any other name for it, as much as I would like to get creative and come up with something of my own.

Since I had previously tried less than half of these switches, it is very interesting and informative. Makes me want to buy another couple of keyboards.

WHAT ?

There is one question/observation I want to pass on. The top row of 4 keys are browns. Maybe it's just me, but the second one from the left does not seem to have the bump in the middle. It feels linear like the reds and blacks.

Am I imagining things, not sensitive enough, or can the bump be worn down?

Anyway, I will let the next few testers tell me whether I am right or I am crazy.

Here is my vacation photo:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50636[/ATTACH]

"Picking Cherries in a Peach Tree in the Peach State"

thanks again, Hashbaz !
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 17 May 2012, 11:09:59 »
Thanks fohat.  I got these numpads used, so it's possible that that key is worn down or damaged in some way.  I didn't have to mod the top row since the numpads come with brown switches.

Offline litster

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 18 May 2012, 00:18:37 »
Only nar PM'ed me.  Guess the guys are not on this thread or they have backed out.  I will PM them directly before I make any changes.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 18 May 2012, 01:22:25 »
I have the tester, and it's great to be able to feel all the different switches...and together at one time.

What is the force with these 'ergo clears'? They are soft tactile (ergonomic)?

I will mail on Saturday!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 18 May 2012, 01:24:37 »
Quote from: input nirvana;595153
I have the tester, and it's great to be able to feel all the different switches...and together at one time.

What is the force with these 'ergo clears'? They are soft tactile (ergonomic)?

I will mail on Saturday!

Ergo clears are clear stems with brown springs.  So they are light like browns but more tactile.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 18 May 2012, 01:59:30 »
Hmm. Got the numpad and tried it immediately and after typing on my G15 for a while.

Everything feels so different than I expected it to. My only experience is with white ALPS, and BS unicomp/M boards, so by comparison, most all these keys besides maybe the clears feel a little mushy, I was expecting more force back from the browns.

as you say, though, if they are used that might factor into it. I really can't feel any pronounced bump on the browns that I was expecting, and the reds feel very smushy.

FIRST THOUGHTS

Browns- Not at all what I was expecting, was hoping for a very pronounced "YOU HAVE NOW PRESSED THE KEY" like what you get with a BS key
Blues  - Not nearly as clicky as I expected, again, I was expecting TAPATAPATAPA as i touch them and it's more of a muted "dit". I could see how if you were hammering on them it would be loud, but average typing i doubt they'd be as loud as a BS board.
Greens- Kind of an odd duck, like a combination between blacks and blues, but yet neither. I think I prefer blues but just barely.
Blacks - Not bad, feels more what I was expecting from the browns, but without the bump. Honestly might be my favorite so far. I can see how people would complain of typing fatigue on them, though.
Reds   - Smush, Smush, Splat. they go down with a feather touch, even my G15 has more resistance than these I think.
Clears - Yes, Mr Hulk, we have your keyboard in for pickup. Even though i'm used to BS keys, these are a little much for me. Very stiff.
Ergos  - My understanding was ergos didn't have a tactile bump, but i'm feeling a little bit of something there. What's that about?

Second thoughts

Browns- You know, not bad, I could learn to live with them. Maybe i'm just trying too hard to like them though. The tactile bump and no click were the two big turn ons for browns and honestly neither of those are coming out to play for me.
Blues  - The switch on the left isn't clicking at all, but the two others are, so I am disregarding the one on the left. Click click. Still nowhere near what I thought they'd be noisewise. I would actually consider a board with these for my daily typing now.
Greens- still odd to me, just a harder blue. not a deal breaker but I can see why they're not very popular
Blacks - The more I try them, the more I like them. The only issue would be fatigue from long sessions, but I could see myself using these switches.
Reds   - Still not really liking these, very soft, i could see myself resting my fingers on the keyboard and typing a bunch of crap by accident. I can definetly see where they get the "cloud of boobs" moniker from. Might get a CM Storm with reds for when i'm feeling lazy.
Clears - They're stiff yeah, but not much stiffer than blacks when you get right down to it. Not my first choice, and still an odd switch. Would be very worried about fatigue from these but you would get some buff fingers over time.
Ergos  -Okay, i'm almost thinking there is some crud stuck in these switches, there is an insane amount of bump or a catch or something with these, like plastic rubbing on plastic, is this normal? Far left only has it coming up, middle one actually STRUGGLES to come up and right one is intermittent. Enter key seems to be mostly free of this issue.

DAY 1 FAVORITES

I came into this thinking i'd like the browns the best, and like reds too, and was totally disregarding the odd ducks like blacks and clears for my purposes, but I have to say.

1.Blacks
2.Blues
3.Browns
4.Greens
5.Ergo clears
6.Clears
7.Reds

If i had to list them, that would be it. I think I still have a strong preference for BS when possible, and in comparison my like for White ALPS held up surprisingly well! TBH I think I might prefer White ALPS over Cherry Blues.

Note: The margin for the last 4 on my list is very slim, and to be honest, I would probably hook any of those boards if I saw one for a good price. All in all, I found I dislike browns a lot more than expected, and that I might be looking at a board with Blacks for my daily driver.

If it's not a big issue, I'll take this to work tomorrow, and show it to my boss and another guy who is into mech keyboards, see what they think of it, Was thinking of taking it around and snapping a few shots with it during leisure time with the family, then ship it out in the early mail monday.

EDIT Holy novel batman, i'll put up a TL;DR

TL;DR Liked blacks and blues a lot more than I thought, but the reds and browns were disappointing.

Edit 2: Are clears tactical? if they had a weaker browns spring that would explain why they have issues coming back up.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 May 2012, 02:02:54 by Internetlad »

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 18 May 2012, 02:25:11 »
Quote from: Internetlad;595170
Ergos  - My understanding was ergos didn't have a tactile bump, but i'm feeling a little bit of something there. What's that about?
Ergos  -Okay, i'm almost thinking there is some crud stuck in these switches, there is an insane amount of bump or a catch or something with these, like plastic rubbing on plastic, is this normal? Far left only has it coming up, middle one actually STRUGGLES to come up and right one is intermittent. Enter key seems to be mostly free of this issue.
Edit 2: Are clears tactical? if they had a weaker browns spring that would explain why they have issues coming back up.

Ergo clears are clear stems with brown springs.  Light like browns, extra tactile like clears.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 May 2012, 11:15:59 by hashbaz »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 18 May 2012, 09:30:09 »
I have been using buckling springs 90% of the time for the past year or more. I have an Acer laptop and use "good quality" rubber domes at the office (but this is only a few hours per week).
The "alternates" I rotate to, occasionally, are Monterey blues and black Alps, because I have them laying around. After a few hours, I always go back.

I recently sold my primary "alternate" board, a full-size Leopold with blues, not because I did not like it, I did, very much, but whenever I used it I could not stop thinking about buckling springs.
So, even though I still think that the blue switch is the "best" one Cherry makes, I have become indifferent to it. It is too close to my Model M/Fs to make me want to use it, instead of them.

I currently do not own a good white or blue Alps board, but am always on the lookout for one. My old Omnikeys were very nice, I need another one to put in my collection.
I had a board with black Cherries, long ago, but got rid of it before giving it an proper trial.

Internet Lad, I really like your format, so I stole it for my own use. Please don't be offended. I was not going to go as far as this, but you forced my hand.

* First Thoughts:

Browns- Exactly what I was expecting, if anything, I was hoping for a slightly more pronounced "You Have Now Pressed the Key" but this is probably just adequate.

Blues - I have used these, so I know exactly how they feel. I know them for what they are, and that that is NOT buckling spring "wannabes" but rather white Alps improvements.

Greens- Kind of an odd duck, I agree, but the sound is great in comparison to the blues, which became more annoying to me, over time and use.

Blacks - Not bad, feels like what I was expecting, maybe even a little stiffer. I can certainly see how people complain of typing fatigue on them.

Reds - Nice! They go down with a feather touch, and little or no sound until you bottom out. I really like light switches.

Clears - These are pretty good in feel, and the sound, I could live with it, easily. But, they are a little much for me. Very stiff, even though I am a big strong guy.

Ergos - Oh, these are nice! I never knew what all the love was about, but I understand now!

* Second Thoughts:

Browns- I could learn to love these. This will be my next board, and I will put pads or rings on them for a quiet and soothing experience.

Blues - Great switches. I will get another blue board one of these days, but not compelling for now.

Greens- These are growing on me. If I was building a whole board, this would definitely be my spacebar/enter/delete/etc switch. Much better sound than blue.

Blacks - No interest here. Even though I love buckling springs, I also prefer a light touch. I would love to find softer springs for my Model M/Fs.

Reds - Surprise! I never gave these much thought, but they are really nice. See above. I will surely get a red board + O-rings, for a true stealth experience.

Clears - Although I don't particularly like these, I might buy this board, someday, as a basis for the mod below.

Ergos - The other surprise. These are good. I don't know if I will get up the time and energy to do the ergo mod, but I can see how so many people think it is worth it.

- (note, however, that I do agree with Internet Lad, there is something about the ergos that feels "off" in the action, like there is a "catch" somewhere that should not be there)

* Day 2 Ranking:

I came into this thinking that, after blues, I would like the browns the best, then ergo clears, too, and was totally disregarding the blacks and reds for my purposes. I had never given the greens any thought before, to tell the truth.

1. Blue
2. Brown
3. Red
4. Ergo Clear
5. Green
6. Clear
7. Black

I too still have a strong preference for buckling springs whenever possible, and in comparison, my liking for Blue Monterey/White Alps has held up surprisingly well. I still think I prefer Monterey Blue over Cherry Blue.

The biggest surprise here, for me, is the thought that I might be a lot happier with linear switches than I had previously imagined.

But remember, I never game, so there are a lot of gaming-related issues that are not on the table when I make my personal evaluations.

thanks again, Hashbaz
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 18 May 2012, 11:20:16 »
Quote from: fohat.digs;595285
Ergos - The other surprise. These are good. I don't know if I will get up the time and energy to do the ergo mod, but I can see how so many people think it is worth it.

- (note, however, that I do agree with Internet Lad, there is something about the ergos that feels "off" in the action, like there is a "catch" somewhere that should not be there)

Thanks for the excellent write-up!

Ergo clears do have a catching problem.  I suspect it's due to the fact that clear stems were designed with a heavier spring in mind.  Pushing that big bump back up is probably taxing on the brown springs.  I had an ergo clear Poker for a while, and sometimes the keys would even get stuck and not pop back up without manual wiggling.  KeyboardLover has said that this effect diminishes over time, but I can't vouch for that from personal experience.  Lubing the stems would likely also help a bit.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 18 May 2012, 18:05:15 »
Lol sorry i didn't state more clearly, but Yes, I recieved these on the 17th of may

I like your "~17th (??)" in the table.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 20 May 2012, 00:36:31 »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 20 May 2012, 00:41:25 »
Quote from: input nirvana;596240
Show Image

Image is broken

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 20 May 2012, 00:55:03 »
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline nar

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 20 May 2012, 13:47:51 »
Quote from: reaper;596247
Hmm.. Did you see the URL for his pic? O.o

"http://geekhack.org/webkit-fake-url://F3910E5B-4383-43B0-8E0D-68D9F531E86E/imagejpeg"

Ahh I hate when stuff like that happens in the forums I run.

He copied and pasted an image directly into the editor using a webkit browser, or he tried to upload the file but failed.
Then, the browser has a "helpful" feature where it actually does let you copy and paste the image in, or if the upload failed and you try to embed it, it still lets you and everything looks fine to you but it's obviously broken to everyone else because you didn't actually upload the image.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline naranja

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 20 May 2012, 13:59:26 »
Hi, sorry to be wishy-washy but can I be taken off the list? I recently got a clear/ergo clear board so I lost my initial interest in trying out the switch tester. ><

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 20 May 2012, 18:10:10 »
Quote from: naranja;596531
Hi, sorry to be wishy-washy but can I be taken off the list? I recently got a clear/ergo clear board so I lost my initial interest in trying out the switch tester. ><

No problem, done.

Offline nar

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 20 May 2012, 20:44:19 »
Quote from: ripster;596523
Ermm... Do I need to turn JS off for another GH JS infection?

Nope just a case of Google Chrome being stupid.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 21 May 2012, 11:54:53 »
Well, I've tried out the switches, and just so the future users of this know, the numock key (2nd row vertical, 1st key horizontal) seems to be out of order, and doesn't feel right. Top left key (ESC) also feels far too linear but works okay. Other than that the keypad works good. Gotta snap some pics with some of the bigger brothers i have kicking around, and we'll send it on it's way early this afternoon.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 21 May 2012, 18:03:52 »
Cherry picker left via USPS at noon today, and got quite a send off from it's older BS and ALPS cousins!

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50929[/ATTACH]

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50930[/ATTACH]

Farewell tester keypad! Your contributions will not be forgotten.

Again, thanks for putting this on Hashbaz, it's much appreciated and sheds a lot of light on what KB i'd like to get.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 21 May 2012, 18:08:18 »
Quote from: Internetlad;597145
(Attachment Link) 50929[/ATTACH]

Hey!  There's my Unicomp! :dance:

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 21 May 2012, 20:32:03 »
Just received the tester. My usual keyboard is the CM Storm w/reds.

Impressions:

Brown: Couldn't tell the difference from reds at first. I was expecting a bump. But after a while I could feel the slight tactility with the browns.

Blues: Tried this before at Fry's. Feels good but the noise isn't worth it.

Blacks: Tried at Fry's. Too heavy for my tastes.

Reds: Light and smooth, but I use reds everyday so it wasn't new to me

Clears: A more pronounced bump but heavier than browns or reds, almost as heavy as blacks. Don't think I can type on these for very long.

Ergo Clears: Satisfying bump and not heavy like regular clears. I think I prefer  the feel of these the most, too bad they don't come standard on boards. However, like previous posters have said there does seem to be something a bit off with them, like a little catch.

I'd have liked to try greens too or buckling springs but too bad they weren't on this tester. From my experience with this tester I think that when I have time I'll try putting together a board with Ergo Clears, although I'm happy with my Reds and feel I chose the right switch type for me. I was also thinking of buying browns before but now I won't because they feel very close to reds, the difference is almost negligible. Thanks Hashbaz for putting this tester together.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 22 May 2012, 00:45:02 »
I was trying to upload the pic from my camera on my iPhone to the forum. Didn't work. Someone know how to do that?

Here's what I was trying to show:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50954[/ATTACH]
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50972[/ATTACH]

The first capital of California was Monterey...so I thought rather than the predictable beach or beach girl pic, I would try to throw some dignity and history out there for a change. Plus, the bronze grizzly is pretty cool. I convinced a girl to get on it naked one night and let me take a pic. All she was wearing was a hat and her 23 year old pride.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 May 2012, 00:55:54 by input nirvana »

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 22 May 2012, 00:55:43 »
Quote from: hashbaz;597146
Hey!  There's my Unicomp! :dance:

Yeah! it sure is, i've been taking good care of it, Do need to give the keycaps a wash soon though.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 22 May 2012, 01:02:02 »
Sometime down the road, if someone has all the switches, I'd like to get 2 of each, 12 total (blue, black, clear, "ergo" clear, red, brown). I don't want to have to go make multiple purchases and piece a sampler together.

If someone has this, let me know. I'm in no rush.

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 22 May 2012, 23:34:54 »
Fremont is not known for much except for being home to a few tech companies, most notably Corsair, maker of fine computer equipment, including mechanical keyboards. Thus, to represent my town here's a picture of the tester in front of Corsair headquarters.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 22 May 2012, 23:38:01 »
Thanks for the pics, guys!  Btw, I'm reposting all the pictures in the second post.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 May 2012, 23:41:07 by hashbaz »

Offline nar

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 23 May 2012, 00:24:37 »
Too bad I can't get the tester for this weekend, or I could take pictures of the tester with cosplayers at Anime North.

On another note, has the Canadian Tester been sent out yet or are we still waiting on people to confirm?

Offline The Ricker

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 23 May 2012, 09:52:40 »
I just received the tester at work. I'll take time to type up my first impressions later today.

Offline litster

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 23 May 2012, 18:50:14 »
Alright, I finally got my act together for the Canadian tour.  Here is what we have now:

style="width: 297px"
|-
|  style="width: 131px; height: 20px" |
Name
|  style="width: 64px" | Status
|  style="width: 103px" | Province
|-
|  style="height: 20px" | Snowmill
| In
| Alberta
|-
|  style="height: 20px" | nar
| In
| Ontario
|-
|  style="height: 20px" | CanadaRox
| In
| Ontario
|-
|  style="height: 20px" | ClackHead
| In
| Quebec
|-
|  style="height: 20px" | birthdaymonkey
| In
| New Brunswick
|-
|  style="height: 20px" | heuristicist
| Out
|
|-
|  style="height: 20px" | fantus
| Out
|
|-
[/TABLE]

I am surprised there are no BC folks on the list.  I won't be going up to BC for a while, so I will send it from the US via 1st class parcel mail to Snowmill in Alberta first.  It should cost less than $10 but it will probably take 2 weeks or more.

Toward the end of the tour, if heuristicist is back from his trip, we can add him back to the tour before the tester comes back to me.

I may ask you to chip in a few bucks to the last person on the tour who will need to send the test back to me in the US due to higher postage.

Snowmill, I will PM for the first leg.

Please, make sure you take pictures around your town, and write a review.  That's all hashbaz and I ask in return.

Offline Snowmill

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 23 May 2012, 18:56:38 »
Rockus Brutus.  

Looking forward to this.

Offline The Ricker

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 23 May 2012, 19:57:21 »
Impressions from someone who primarily uses rubber domes and has spent a month on buckling springs:

Browns feel a little odd to me. The tactile bump almost makes them feel mushy.
Blues feel similar to browns but they are a little less mushy feeling/slightly more precise. They have a higher pitched but lower volume sound compared to buckling springs.
Green is a cross between the browns and blues which are similar enough anyway that I can't really get a good feel for the single green.
Blacks were my favorite at first press, but feel heavy very quickly.
Reds are my current favorite, I think. Easy to depress and linear. However this comes from a guy who bottoms out every time anyway.
Clears have a more defined tactile bump than browns, but I like the linear switches better.
Ergo Clears have the most defined tactile bump of them all. I didn't like them.

When I first started researching mechanical switches I thought I would like blacks or reds the best but enough people seemed to prefer the tactile switches that I thought clears would be a good fit for me. I'm glad I waited for the tester because now I know to look for a board with red switches. Thank you, Hashbaz!

edit: fixed typo.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 May 2012, 07:41:10 by The Ricker »

Offline The Ricker

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 23 May 2012, 20:00:39 »
Here's a picture of the tester visiting central Kansas. I work at a small college and this is a carving of our mascot.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] Tester Picture[/ATTACH]

Offline Vadimk

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 25 May 2012, 16:00:25 »
Obviously too late for round two, but I'd be interested in the next one, I think I'd like something with Blues (not red for certain) but if I'm to spend over $100 on a keyboard (or parts to build one :) I'd like to know exactly what I want.

Offline The Ricker

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 29 May 2012, 12:59:57 »
Sent the tester this morning. I'll PM the tracking number now.

Offline litster

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 29 May 2012, 13:20:03 »
I sent out my Cherry tester to snowmill this morning.  It is going to take up to 2 weeks to get there.  Canadian Summer Tour 2012 has finally started!

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 29 May 2012, 20:45:08 »
Can I still get on the Mid west mailing list?

I'd love to try it
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 29 May 2012, 23:02:25 »
Quote from: The_Beast;603470
Can I still get on the Mid west mailing list?

I'd love to try it

Sorry, no.  There's a future rounds list, though, which I'll add you to.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 29 May 2012, 23:26:41 »
If anyone in the midwest drops out, lemme know

Thanks for adding me on the next send through ;)
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 30 May 2012, 18:18:40 »
So what's the news on the testers now!? I was having fun following them but it seems to have petered out

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 30 May 2012, 23:09:11 »
Quote from: Internetlad;604197
So what's the news on the testers now!? I was having fun following them but it seems to have petered out

The OP is up to date as far as shipping and receiving.  A couple of people promised pics in PMs and haven't delivered, though. :tsk:

Offline litster

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 30 May 2012, 23:40:17 »
Quote from: hashbaz;604389
A couple of people promised pics in PMs and haven't delivered, though. :tsk:

L A M E !