Author Topic: small self powered usbhub  (Read 2743 times)

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
small self powered usbhub
« on: Sat, 19 May 2012, 06:09:48 »
I am looking for a small self powered usdhub that I can take with me on the road. I do need more than 2 usbports
Any recommendations? BTW it has to be a reliable and not that kind of disposable products.

So far this guy is the winner

« Last Edit: Sat, 19 May 2012, 06:56:14 by cactux »
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 May 2012, 06:43:57 »
"monoprice star hub"

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 May 2012, 06:52:48 »
They look kind of low quality.

Several months ago I bought a low quality usb hub in ebay and smoke my card reader. I learned my lesson and I prefer to pay more for this kind of items
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 May 2012, 06:54:59 by cactux »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 May 2012, 07:25:02 »
all these usb hubs are pretty much the same, made by the same contract manufacturers even. we have a bunch of these around the office, and i have one at home, and i have yet to find a faulty one

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 May 2012, 07:33:04 »
^ Agree !what really makes the difference is that some companies like belking request a quality control more strict. That maybe reflected in  the overall price

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 May 2012, 07:59:05 »
meh. personally, i think it's all fat. i've had just as many branded ODM products die on me as unbranded. i've been told that if you want the really junky stuff, you have to buy in asia; all the factory rejects end up in the developing world

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 May 2012, 08:03:49 »
If you need a card reader as well... http://www.siig.com/usb-3-0-2-0-hub-card-reader.html handy to have both things in one device to lessen things to carry. If not, might as well grab a usb3 capable one. Even if you're not using 3 yet, it may be handy later.

Offline captain

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 21 May 2012, 00:49:04 »
That last one does not appear to be SELF POWERED, which is the requirement here. (edit: ah, maybe not OP's requirement, but definitely mine)

I read about something someone made that wasn't much bigger than the batteries used to power it.  THAT is what I'm looking for, so I can use my HHKB with my iPad!
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 May 2012, 01:00:04 by captain »
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 21 May 2012, 01:52:37 »
^ That does not help too much. There is another tiny usb hub which claims to be one of he smallest one, but is not selfpowered :-(
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50882[/ATTACH]

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 21 May 2012, 09:20:38 »
One I posted? It is powered, comes with power cord. Product page dosen't show 4th side where dc jack and usb A is.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 21 May 2012, 09:23:45 »
wait you want one that uses batteries? oh weird. i've never seen one like that

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 22 May 2012, 19:18:00 »
Me neither.

That would be very handy with a laptop running on batteries itself.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09