Author Topic: CM Storm Quickfire Red soda spill  (Read 1867 times)

Offline AeneaS

CM Storm Quickfire Red soda spill
« on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 20:40:33 »
Hey there
So I managed to spill a little bit of red bull >.< over my keyboard, didnt even thought that alot got in but after some hours it started makind double keys and now it doesnt work at all anymore -_-
All that happens when I plugg it in the capslock and the numlock light up but I cant use the keyboard at all. All it does is have those 2 keys lightes up :S

What can I do fix this? Is my keyboard broken or can I clean it somehow? If yes with what...

I didnt open the keyboard yet because of warranty but I do not even know if CM gives warranty on keyboards that you shipped over from taiwan? (got mine from PChome)

Any help is highly appreciated
so long AeneaS

Offline Anonymuse

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 20:50:40 »
I don't think many manufacturers give warranties for damage like that just shipped with the product. I think you most likely have to buy one separate. About cleaning it I have no idea but it sounds like it's really f'd up.

Offline AeneaS

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 21:59:31 »
First of all thx for the replies ;)
Well ripster your link is more about getting one faulty key to work again and I have found this one already before and couldnt get too much gain out of it (I do not have destilled water connector cleaners etc.^^ ) But ty for the link anyways :)
All my switches are in wonderful condition.
It was about the keyboard not wanting to work as a whole...

So ok since you are right Anonymuse, the manufacturer will see the obvious water dmg and it wont be under warranty so I decided to open it up.
Some cleaning later  (ever tried to clean a mainboard of a liquid? IMPOSSIBLE lol!) with cotton swabs and wriggling with the connector cable of it it suddenly started working again!
I am happy and just hope it will stay that way and in the future I will keep my beverages as far away from it as possible -_- ^^

If anyone got some advice/experience on cleaning the mainboard(or how its called) itself feel free to still post since I haven't found alot on it and cleaning it by hand seems rather impossible because of all the connectors etc sticking out and such and I obviously didnt wanna bath it in anything since that just feels to me like it would destroy the board ^^
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 May 2012, 22:10:28 by AeneaS »

Offline Skillzz

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 11:09:26 »
Hey AeneaS,

I had a similar problem to you; spilled a few drops of soda water on my Quickfire and now it doesn't work. I've let it dry out for a few days, but there must be some residue or dampness left inside because every time I plug it in, the lights flash momentarily and then it shorts and stops working.

How did you disassemble the keyboard? I pulled the screw out of the back but I can't quite figure out how to pry the bottom off to get at the circuitry.