Author Topic: Building a keyset for a CM Storm QF Rapid  (Read 5543 times)

Offline Xerobasix

Building a keyset for a CM Storm QF Rapid
« on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 20:29:58 »
Hello all,

After a four day mechanical keyboard research binge I ordered a Leopold Otaku TKL with browns, canceled it with stabilizer cold feet, searched everywhere (almost) for a CM Storm with browns to no avail, only to decide to wait for a shipment of Filco's from KeyboardCo to Amazon. Then, I finally realized that I could buy a QF Rapid with Brown's from CM's web store and ordered my first mechanical about 10 minutes ago.

I plan on ordering a full set of blank white caps from wasdkeyboards, but I'm not sure how to handle the LED imbeded caps lock, scroll lock, and function key.  Any suggestions on those three? (other than leaving them on)

thanks!
CM Quickfire Rapid - Brown | Blue | Red

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 20:37:06 »
Someone has drilled holes into the keycaps for their quickfire, you could try searching GH for that thread. Otherwise just leave it alone, you will be able to see the LEDs through the white keycaps since they're not very thick.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline Xerobasix

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 20:47:30 »
Wow, just found that thread.  I should have done a bit more research.  Thanks gunner.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 20:50:56 »
Quote from: Xerobasix;606432
Wow, just found that thread.  I should have done a bit more research.  Thanks gunner.

Np, grats on your first mech kb! Hope you like it :D
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline Rafen

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 20:53:47 »
http://geekhack.org/forumdisplay.php?90-TheProfosist

he drills holes for the leds and mods spacebars does really great work.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 21:01:46 »
I see you found that thread. I just ordered the same board on Friday and now its sitting at my local post office until Monday when it gets delivered. :frusty:

Offline Xerobasix

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 21:11:42 »
Oh, wow... that's rough.  I feel your pain.

After looking at the bleed through on those keys I think I'll just use the whites.  Going to do orange WASD, Esc, arrow keys and space bar.  Really nervous about the feel of the browns, but they should be leaps and bounds ahead of the 6 y/o Saitek Eclipse under my fingers.

Hope Monday treats you better! :)

Offline Rafen

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 21:24:32 »
Wow man, that was my first board. I have a Leopold with browns now and they feel amazing. I ordered the CM with blues.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 03 June 2012, 11:28:05 »
I can see the LED indicators through white PBT. I haven't personally tried it, but it should also be easily visible through WASDkeyboards ABS.

I believe someone came up with a good idea: To use white ABS as "clear enough" and put a full set on a ducky shine.

Offline dmbr

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 03 June 2012, 12:09:24 »
I got some clear caps for the LED keys on my CM--they're still available on eBay. Looks snazzy :)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 03 June 2012, 13:26:24 »
Quote from: dmbr;606707
I got some clear caps for the LED keys on my CM--they're still available on eBay. Looks snazzy :)
Can you link me? I'm interested :)

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 04 June 2012, 18:24:52 »
This is one of my first posts here and I am interested in also buying a CM Rapid. I want to get white cherry double shot keys.
what is the model of a cherry keyboard I could buy that would have white double shots to put on my cm rapid?

Offline Xerobasix

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 08 June 2012, 19:26:35 »
I wanted to post a picture of the final product.  Absolutely loving it so far.[/IMG]

Offline Lighthouse1

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 09 June 2012, 05:17:01 »
Quote from: Xerobasix;610041
I wanted to post a picture of the final product.  Absolutely loving it so far.
Show Image
[/IMG]

Looks really nice, I like the mix of colours (just went for grey, now wishing I had gone for white! Feared the dirt).

Offline chrisyou

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 12 June 2012, 18:24:16 »
Quote from: Xerobasix;610041
I wanted to post a picture of the final product.  Absolutely loving it so far.
Show Image
[/IMG]

That looks awesome! I just ordered mine (with blues) and it should be coming in tomorrow.  I couldn't stand leaving my camo filco at work anymore so i picked up a quickfire.

Offline dbdynsty25

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 13 June 2012, 14:51:50 »
Those white keys look great on the grey frame of the Rapid.

I just ordered some engraved black on black keys from WASD w/ red WASD and red ESC keys.  Can't wait to get some on my Rapid w/ Reds.  So it's an all black frame w/ engraved keys and some color to match with the red logos and backplate.  :)

Offline dbdynsty25

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 03:47:49 »
The pictures don't do them justice, especially the bottom one. The PBT keys match the matte finish on the board perfectly so it looks completely uniform. Yes, I lost the LED lights, but 99% of the time I don't even need the lights anyway.

PBT Engraved on the bottom one (for work) and then awaiting my custom set from WASD for my gaming board on top.  :)

Offline Roguemaster8

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 04:22:42 »
These keysets look loads better then what I currently have on mine.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53057[/ATTACH]

I did replace the Triforce with an Orangesicle skull but I think it may have looked better the other way.
CM Storm Quickfire | Dell Quietkey | Unicomp Ultra Classic | KBC Poker

Offline chrisyou

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 17:20:36 »
This looks gorgeous! I too left my quickfire (with blues) at work because they were more suited for office work. I'm seriously considering returning my Filco w/browns (my home keyboard) and picking up another quickfire with browns because I honestly cannot tell the difference between the two in build quality. In fact the quickfire feels a bit more solid when picking it up because it doesn't moan and creak like my Filco. Thanks for posting up these pictures!

Quote from: dbdynsty25;615373
The pictures don't do them justice, especially the bottom one. The PBT keys match the matte finish on the board perfectly so it looks completely uniform. Yes, I lost the LED lights, but 99% of the time I don't even need the lights anyway.

PBT Engraved on the bottom one (for work) and then awaiting my custom set from WASD for my gaming board on top.  :)

Show Image