Author Topic: Searching a new laser mouse  (Read 3572 times)

Offline Ctwx

Searching a new laser mouse
« on: Sun, 03 June 2012, 12:29:33 »
Hey Geekhackers,

I'm searching a new mouse. I ordered my current one, a Cherry Xana mouse together with my Cherry G80-3000 keyboard. The latter one is pretty amazing but the mouse loses it's color and it's wheel buttons doesn't work the way they should. So, mouse button 3 (pressing it down) doesn't work all the time. That's why I didn't use it in almost a year. Pushing the mouse wheel to left or right still works. It just sucks that I can't use the mouse wheel button (whatever it is called) anymore.

So I'm searching for a new mouse. My criteria is:
 - laser mouse with at least 1600 dpi (my current one provide 800 dpi and 1600 dpi), I don't necessarily need more and if possible, with support for switching between different dpi settings
 - ergonomic,
 - browser buttons for "next" and "back",
 - *no* mouse wheel left-right buttons if they are likely to break
 - not necessary ten thousand extra mouse buttons. I'm fine with the standard ones + browser buttons

I researched a bit and found one that looks nice, but it still has those mouse wheel left-right buttons. The Logitech G500. What do you think about it? Would you suggest a different mouse?

[edit]Another one I just found is the GIGABYTE GM-M6800.[/edit]

Thanks

Offline retsteel

• Hmmm... I guess I'm here again.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 June 2012, 13:29:47 »
Razer Deathadder...

okay, I'll write more, I have one and I love it, it is a little gaudy for my taste with the lights and whatnot but I just shut that stuff off... the buttons on the side default to the browser buttons on windows 7 and are changeable if you want. it is changeable between 450, 900, and 1800 dpi.

another edit: the newer one has different dpi options, I don't know what those are but they are higher.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 June 2012, 13:34:44 by retsteel »

Offline dmbr

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 June 2012, 15:17:24 »
The G500 (palm) or G9x (claw) are likely the best choice, depending on your grip. Logitech makes the best built mice--very durable, perfect buttons. They do have side scrolling wheels, but it is not at all apt to break.

The Deathadder is a good mouse, but not perfect and not laser. The sensor is top-notch and has no built-in acceleration like many laser sensors (G500 and G9x included--the accel is barely perceptible), but the hardware and software doesn't match up. The buttons are too easily accidentally clicked, it lacks the heft and "grippy-ness" of Logitech mice, and DPI is limited to only 3 settings, as opposed to the G-series customizability of 100dpi to 5700dpi in 100 dpi increments. Optical mice also don't track properly on all surfaces, so keep that in mind, too.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 June 2012, 00:17:59 »
note that the g9x sensor actually has very small amounts of negative accel, and not positive accel like you might expect

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Maarten

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 June 2012, 01:08:10 »
Steelseries Xai/Sensei (depending on taste and wallet)

Offline Ctwx

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 June 2012, 09:22:48 »
Quote from: retsteel;606753
Razer Deathadder...

okay, I'll write more, I have one and I love it, it is a little gaudy for my taste with the lights and whatnot but I just shut that stuff off... the buttons on the side default to the browser buttons on windows 7 and are changeable if you want. it is changeable between 450, 900, and 1800 dpi.

another edit: the newer one has different dpi options, I don't know what those are but they are higher.

The black edition looks pretty good. I'll have to see if this one is really worth it. I mean, it costs more than the G500 and as dmbr wrote, the DeathAdder doesn't not use laser. In my opinion, laser mice move smoother.

Quote from: dmbr;606810
The G500 (palm) or G9x (claw) are likely the best choice, depending on your grip. Logitech makes the best built mice--very durable, perfect buttons. They do have side scrolling wheels, but it is not at all apt to break.

I'm more likely to buy the G500. I don't like the form of the G9x. Not apt to break? Sounds good to me. :) One of my highest priorities.

The Deathadder is a good mouse, but not perfect and not laser. The sensor is top-notch and has no built-in acceleration like many laser sensors (G500 and G9x included--the accel is barely perceptible), but the hardware and software doesn't match up.

A laser mouse would be better I think. But I don't think that acceleration is required. I'm not sure if my Cherry Xana supports it.

The buttons are too easily accidentally clicked, it lacks the heft and "grippy-ness" of Logitech mice, and DPI is limited to only 3 settings, as opposed to the G-series customizability of 100dpi to 5700dpi in 100 dpi increments. Optical mice also don't track properly on all surfaces, so keep that in mind, too.

Hmm... The G500 starts so sound pretty good. I don't need support for such high dpi settings, but 800 and 1600 dpi would be nice. Some times I prefer 800 and sometimes 1600. It depends on the application or game I'm running. But as you said, 100dpi per settings; that would be great. :)

Quote from: mkawa;607039
note that the g9x sensor actually has very small amounts of negative accel, and not positive accel like you might expect

What exactly does this mean?

Quote from: Maarten;607062
Steelseries Xai/Sensei (depending on taste and wallet)

Those too look good too. Especially the cable coating is nice -> http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviewimages/steelseriesxai/pictures/xai%20cable.JPG

It's really hard to chose between those mice. The best way to find the one that fits me best would be to test them all. But I don't have the money for it. :)
Although that the Razer DeathAdder is nice, I'm not quiet sure if I like it's form. I'm used to more ergonomic forms like the G500. The Steelseries mice are nice too, but it seems that they are made for use with both hand (left and right handed). This means, that the form might not be as good as I have it right now. So, I think I'll go with the Logitech G500. The G9x is not really what I'm looking for. These "claw" mice are... Hmm.. I don't now. Perhaps I'm just not used to them.

Soo.. Thanks for you help. :) I hope the G500 will be durable as dmbr said.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 06:11:43 »
Quote from: mkawa;607039

I just bought another G9X with some Corepad Skatez and this baby now flies across the table like a hockey puck.  Don't laugh because I never used Corepads on any rodent before.

It's amazing how new skatez will transform a mouse into something really nice.  I no longer put up with Logitech's original mouse feet they are now so cheap and nasty.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 June 2012, 06:20:30 by Elrick »

Offline dmbr

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 June 2012, 20:07:39 »
Aren't both the original skates and replacements just made of Teflon?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 June 2012, 20:22:12 »
i believe it means that a decreasing curve is applied to the acceleration at the sensor

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline dbdynsty25

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 June 2012, 01:36:30 »
Mionix Naos 3200 or 5000 (if you want weight tuning and more lights, lol).  Will run you between 60-90 bucks depending on what model you get.  Absolutely the most comfortable mouse I've ever used.  Can play hours on end without any hand strain.  It's fantastic.

Offline Zamorph

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 11 June 2012, 17:32:43 »
Razer Deathadder, g9x, logitech g700, g500... are all awesome mouses that I can vouch for.

Offline Ctwx

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 12 June 2012, 00:57:41 »
I bought the G500. The G700 looks (from it's form) nice too, but it's wireless. I had much trouble with wireless mice, especially with Logitech.

Offline falconpauunch

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 12 June 2012, 01:10:48 »

The Deathadder is a good mouse, but not perfect and not laser. The sensor is top-notch and has no built-in acceleration like many laser sensors (G500 and G9x included--the accel is barely perceptible), but the hardware and software doesn't match up. The buttons are too easily accidentally clicked, it lacks the heft and "grippy-ness" of Logitech mice, and DPI is limited to only 3 settings, as opposed to the G-series customizability of 100dpi to 5700dpi in 100 dpi increments. Optical mice also don't track properly on all surfaces, so keep that in mind, too.
recommend the logitech, Razer has terrible customer service, and their products are usually very shoddy. The only thing razer has is it's branding.

Offline net2522

• lollollollol
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 12 June 2012, 01:17:13 »
^Agree with you 100% dude!!

"especially their mouse"
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 June 2012, 01:18:46 by net2522 »

Offline zzuper

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 12 June 2012, 16:06:03 »
Im also looking for this, probably gonna go with the sensei raw, if the taipan isnt mind blowing in any way.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 01:03:27 »
Sensei is BA