Author Topic: LEOPOLD WARNING DO NOT BUY  (Read 17735 times)

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
Re: LEOPOLD WARNING DO NOT BUY
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 20:55:25 »
This is like one of those Yelp reviews that doesn't offer any good constructive criticism!
He bought a product and it didn't work.  He even explained the exact manner in which the product failed.  How is that not constructive criticism?

I will say though, I've seen a decent amount of Leopold rant posts over the last year...
So any time someone buys a defective product and they admit to it in public, you accuse them of "ranting"?

Or is it only a "rant" because he used exclamation points?
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 21:25:16 »
so at $89 it doesn't feel like a deal.
$89 is expensive to you? Ooooo gurl u aint seen nuttin yet.
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline TreeSc2

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 21:51:38 »
its funny u say that, because before i bought my filco i wanted a leopold, and because of this post I still want one to this day. :)

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 21:54:17 »
Or you can buy a Dell  rubber dome keyboard for $5 and have 0 failures in the first 5 years.
The keyboard may not fail in the first 5 years but if you type on it heavily, writing code all day then your hands definitely may fail on you.

Rubberdome keyboards are a big scam to transfer money out of your bank account into the bank accounts of doctors, surgeons and pharmaceutical companies.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline Abacus1234

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 23:42:35 »
My leopold is only 2 months old and was made in Taiwan. So if they did switch manufacturers, they must have done it very recently.

Offline babyhands

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 00:00:19 »
This reminds me of my reaction to razer products. I have broken one of their mice, and one of their keyboards, and now i won't buy anything from them :P

Offline Bencze

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 01:25:18 »
Certainly sucks to have problems like this.
Being in Europe I sometimes need to order from Usa, or China etc. so if I ever have problems warranty won't help me too much. Can only hope I get lucky I guess because there's no one in close proximity (shipping price-wise) to help me. :(

I am seriously considering learning some basic electronics and soldering, could certainly save me some money if I have problems like that...
-= QFR w/ mx blues - HPE87 w/ mx browns - Ducky 1087XM w/ green alps =-

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 01:38:21 »
Sorry to hear this OP. I have been in your shoes ( not with keyboard *knock on wood* but other electronics). However I am not sure if one malfunctioning keyboard is enough to say something about a brand in general. Shame you had such a bad experience.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 10:06:42 »
What models are you having issues with? You really can't just say "Don't buy ANY leopold because my one mystery model number board had issues". I know of FC200, FC300, FC500, FC700, and several more just came out, or are about to be released. I've used the FC700R and it was better than any Filco or QFR that I used, but I sold it because of the stupid spacebar stabilizer spacing and incompatibility with after market sets. Really I just didn't want to mod every spacebar for every custom set I ordered, and everything else is good enough.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 10:17:48 »
My Leopold FC200 pooped out after I did an Ergo-Clear mod to it. I think i ruined some of the traces, so... meh. Not Leo's fault, IMO.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 10:45:26 »
My FC200R with blues is really flaky, and it has not been modded. My FC200R with clears is working fantastically. Both of them were in my hands in November 2011.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 10:54:53 »
Holy crap... I did buy my Leopold that long ago. 0.0

Offline noons

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 11:46:33 »
I have two leopolds and the only bad thing I can say about them is the damn non standard spacebar.
Tofu65 Turquoise Tealios | Drop ALT LP Alpacas | 2X Leopold FC750R MX Brown | KUL MX Brown w/Cherry Stab MOD | Leopold FC660C BLANK | REALFORCE 87U 45G | HHKB PRO2 | Leopold TKL MX RED | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX BLUE

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 12:27:53 »
but I sold it because of the stupid spacebar stabilizer spacing and incompatibility with after market sets. Really I just didn't want to mod every spacebar for every custom set I ordered, and everything else is good enough.
I banned Leopold from receiving any $$$ from my bank account for the exact same reason.

Offline csloan1218

• Technomancer
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 12:36:40 »
but I sold it because of the stupid spacebar stabilizer spacing and incompatibility with after market sets. Really I just didn't want to mod every spacebar for every custom set I ordered, and everything else is good enough.
I banned Leopold from receiving any $$$ from my bank account for the exact same reason.

Is there any leo that has a standard space bar?
Ducky DK9008 Shine II Blue LED Backlit (Red Cherry MX)
Leopold Linear Touch FC500RR/AB (Red Cherry MX)

Offline Abacus1234

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 12:42:09 »
I just put different keys on and leave the black spacebar. Still looks pretty good to me!

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 12:45:41 »
I just put different keys on and leave the black spacebar. Still looks pretty good to me!

I have a full Klaxon set on mine...Yay for universal spacebar
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate