Author Topic: LEOPOLD WARNING DO NOT BUY  (Read 17734 times)

Offline Astounding

LEOPOLD WARNING DO NOT BUY
« on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 11:19:09 »
So about a year ago after careful research I decided to order a Leopold tenkeyless with cherry MX blues.  I went with this option instead of the Filco, because it was implied that the quality would be comparable. This is NOT TRUE.

Update time! THIS KEYBOARD SUCKS.

I wouldn't recommend it to my WORST ENEMY!!! I had to send it back to fix a repeating key within 2 months, and now out of warranty another 3 are failing!!!

I paid over 110 dollars for this thing and it breaks 4 times within a year! Get the CoolerMaster instead, its 75 dollars and comes with red wasd and a free key puller. Or just get a vintage IBM model M or new Unicomp.

I've been ripped off!!!! Don't fall for it like I did.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 11:38:26 »
Or get the Filco :) sorry to hear that you had a bad experience.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 11:52:18 »
Could have same issue with any board from any manufacturer. Not everything that rolls out of the factory will be perfect. Just because you had bad luck with one keyboard does not mean all of them are no good. I've seen same complaint about costar made boards as well, they aren't always perfect either. Also it seems blues may be more susceptible to this chatter / repeating problem, see this issue posted most about blues boards.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 11:56:36 »
I own 2 Leopolds. One w/ blues and one w/ browns and have never had a single problem with either of them. I have used the one w/ browns for over a year and couldn't be happier so I think you just got a bad board. I think you need to quit making assumptions about a company based on one keyboard.

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 12:02:13 »
I agree with Rafen for sure. I had a Filco Majestouch that had the same problems that you described, now a whole cluster of keys don't even work at all. It's just one keyboard. Doesn't mean Filco is crappy.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 12:13:14 »
See, you just prove that Filco is just as crap. So quality is equal, just as you believed when you bought the Leopold OP. :yo:

Offline Lanx

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 12:26:09 »
make sure your switches aren't sticky, go shoot some compress air into them.

Offline dbdynsty25

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 13:32:04 »
Wow this is an awfully dramatic thread.  My dad's got a Leopold and it is just as good as my Filco near as I can tell.  I also just received a CM Storm Rapid and they all are comparable.  It's just the luck of the draw with electronics.  Every company has a bad batch.

Offline mantle

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 13:44:38 »
This does seem overly dramatic. One bad experience does not equate to a universally bad product. If Leopold truly made a sub-par keyboard, that conclusion would have been reached here long ago, given the high level of OCD on enthusiast forums like this one. I don't own a Leopold, and I'm sorry the OP had a bad experience, but this doesn't change my thoughts on buying one in the future.

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 13:51:54 »
I've had a Leopold with Reds for over a year now (and I bought it used).  Works fine bro.

This is like one of those Yelp reviews that doesn't offer any good constructive criticism!  I will say though, I've seen a decent amount of Leopold rant posts over the last year...

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 15:07:16 »
I'm not sure if I'd call anger over a device with a triple digit price dying within a year overly dramatic...

Even if there are lots of people here willing to invest lots of money in the hobby, and even if there are also lots of people who have no problems with similar products, none of that changes the fact that for many, $110 is a decent chunk of cash, which the OP is now out, doubtless long before he planned/budgeted to have to replace his keyboard.

Besides, if everyone just figured that they were an exception when things went wrong, wouldn't it be harder for us to find out when someone actually is releasing a sub-par product?
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Zamorph

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 15:11:35 »
I have had my leopold with no problems.  I feel leopold is a great buy for price at the moment.
It sucks you are having problems, but at least you have the warranty.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 15:11:53 »
This is a prime example of the Mcgeezaks effect.

edit: for my serious response, I own three and have experienced no oddities except once in unix while using vim
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline dbdynsty25

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 15:48:38 »
Quote from: FoxWolf1;608025
I'm not sure if I'd call anger over a device with a triple digit price dying within a year overly dramatic...

This thread is overly dramatic.  Being pissed and explaining that you're pissed and out a bunch of money because a device died is one thing (but I'm sure it'll be replaced by Leopold again anyway), but saying that everything they make is CRAP and you wouldn't wish it on your WORST ENEMY because the build quality is crap is just dramatic.  There are plenty of people here that will vouch for Leopold and their quality so getting one or two boards that just happen to being faulty doesn't mean the entire company needs to be folded.  The OP could actually be causing the failures themselves for all we know.

To recap, yes, you can be pissed and explain your troubles for the whole world to see so they can make a decision on a board, but the dramatics are unnecessary and just flat out incorrect in their intent.

Offline mantle

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 15:52:16 »
Quote from: FoxWolf1;608025

Even if there are lots of people here willing to invest lots of money in the hobby, and even if there are also lots of people who have no problems with similar products, none of that changes the fact that for many, $110 is a decent chunk of cash, which the OP is now out, doubtless long before he planned/budgeted to have to replace his keyboard.

Besides, if everyone just figured that they were an exception when things went wrong, wouldn't it be harder for us to find out when someone actually is releasing a sub-par product?

I didn't mean to imply that the OP has no right to be upset. You can bet I'd be mad! And I also agree that it should be reported, so, as you say, we can figure out which products are sub-par. I just think that saying "I had a bad experience. Therefore, this product is bad and no one should buy it." is not the logical conclusion to draw.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 15:52:20 »
If you feel like opening up the board. I had this theory that cracked ROHS solder is to blame for these chattering problems. Take a soldering iron and just heat the leads and let cool, see if that fixes it.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 17:14:49 »
Quote from: laffindude;608066
If you feel like opening up the board. I had this theory that cracked ROHS solder is to blame for these chattering problems. Take a soldering iron and just heat the leads and let cool, see if that fixes it.

I have seen some real crap due to lead free solder as well.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline wizagab

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 20:21:58 »
I'm having a hard time believing this, as Ive been caught in the hype of the Leopold reading here and on youtube, but I just registered to support this thread as I received the Leopold Tenkeyless today and the "a" key doesn't work at all (tried it on different computers, and it seems physically fine).

This is just unnaceptable for a $120 very basic keyboard, incredible lack of professionalism...

also, less important but another thing I expect from a "high-class" keyboard is that it should work on the startup of my computer (I have to press some touch while still in the DOS thingy) but it doesn't until Windows start.. So I still have another keyboard just to open my computer.

Im so frustrated x_x

Offline wizagab

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 20:38:44 »
lol. I already contacted them, of course. By posting this Im just hoping that someone won't make the same error as me.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 20:49:10 »
So because you bought a keyboard and one switch doesn't work you want to throw the "Leopold" name under the bus? This world is full of morons. If you want to ***** at someone for your "a" not working why don't you call cherry, instead of bashing Leopold who does make very good quality keyboards.

Offline elitekeyboards

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 20:49:16 »
Quote from: Astounding;607875
So about a year ago after careful research I decided to order a Leopold tenkeyless with cherry MX blues.  I went with this option instead of the Filco, because it was implied that the quality would be comparable. This is NOT TRUE.

I wouldn't recommend it to my WORST ENEMY!!! I had to send it back to fix a repeating key within 2 months, and now out of warranty another 3 are failing!!!

I paid over 110 dollars for this thing and it breaks 4 times within a year! Get the CoolerMaster instead, its 75 dollars and comes with red wasd and a free key puller. Or just get a vintage IBM model M or new Unicomp.

Hi Astounding, I'm sorry to hear you've had so many problems with your keyboard. It is in fact pretty rare that you should have so many problems, but even though the manufacturers warranty is stated as 1 year, we pretty much repair simple things like this at no cost for as long as you own it. Please email support@elitekeyboards.com (granted you purchased it from us).

Truth be told, as far as this issue being systemic to Leopolds...this couldn't be farther from the truth. I have several boxes of FILCOs in storage from when we used to sell them that had so many switch chattering problems, entire groups of switches or rows, that we had to replace them. Sometimes it is due to bad switches, sometimes issues with the solder joints or board construction, and sometimes because someone took a silly recommendation they read on the web that they blow air into their delicate Cherry switches... And for the record, statistically, Leopolds are an improvement in reliability over Majestouch 1 series boards.

In any case, we can help you, so please ask:)

Quote from: Raging Salmon;608068
Maybe if you call EliteKeyboards (yes, call) and try to ask someone (nicely) for help you might be surprised.

I recommend sending an e-mail in any case, as we don't have someone by the phones 24/7, but we do make a big effort to respond to all support emails within 24 hours.

Quote from: wizagab;608246
I'm having a hard time believing this, as Ive been caught in the hype of the Leopold reading here and on youtube, but I just registered to support this thread as I received the Leopold Tenkeyless today and the "a" key doesn't work at all (tried it on different computers, and it seems physically fine).

This is just unnaceptable for a $120 very basic keyboard, incredible lack of professionalism...

also, less important but another thing I expect from a "high-class" keyboard is that it should work on the startup of my computer (I have to press some touch while still in the DOS thingy) but it doesn't until Windows start.. So I still have another keyboard just to open my computer.

Im so frustrated x_x

wizagab, This isn't acceptable performance at all. If you purchased this from EliteKeyboards then please contact support@elitekeyboards.com

Also, maybe off-topic, but I define the word professional as someone who is responsible for their work. I can't promise perfect engineering, quality control, or 100% reliability, but we will make our best effort to make sure you don't get a lemon and have a fully functioning product for as long as possible.

Offline wizagab

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 21:01:28 »
In reply to Raging Salmon :

lol dis fanboy..

What do you mean "write them off", I wrote my experience by stating facts. It is awful. Of course I expect them to make up for it but it won't make the experience positive in the end. (well maybe if they give me some free keycaps lol)

As for the keyboard I will say that I love the look tho the keys feel a little better than Blackwidow Ultimate. The sound of the "backspace" is kinda annoying, not sure if its normal. Can't say that I'm really impressed overall, I just don't see where the money go in this keyboard, especially when it is obviously not hand-crafted n meticulously verified. Imo at regular price with the shipping to Canada, it is a complete steal, so at $89 it doesn't feel like a deal.

Offline wizagab

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 21:04:29 »
Hai elitekeyboards, yes I did send an email and have just see the response.

It seems like it will be all good soon, which I expected, so thank you for this.

Offline dbdynsty25

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 05 June 2012, 22:05:31 »
And there you have it. Thread over.

Offline Astounding

Re: LEOPOLD WARNING DO NOT BUY
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 22:07:41 »
Keyboard broke again a couple months after I got it back from repair by EliteKeyboards. I still say stay away.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 22:11:51 »
So about a year ago after careful research I decided to order a Leopold tenkeyless with cherry MX blues.  I went with this option instead of the Filco, because it was implied that the quality would be comparable. This is NOT TRUE.

Or you can buy a Dell  rubber dome keyboard for $5 and have 0 failures in the first 5 years.

Offline Astounding

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 22:19:12 »
So about a year ago after careful research I decided to order a Leopold tenkeyless with cherry MX blues.  I went with this option instead of the Filco, because it was implied that the quality would be comparable. This is NOT TRUE.

Or you can buy a Dell  rubber dome keyboard for $5 and have 0 failures in the first 5 years.

The only thing that fails more than this keyboard is your post.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 22:24:51 »
the ONLY real reason I'd get a FILCO above a QFR is if I intend to do alot of soldering..

The laminate and traces on the QFR PCB is Not as tough as the filco, basically it can easily be burnt off even with my temperature controlled iron...

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 22:28:30 »
I'm onto my 2nd Leopold in 6 months, hoping this is my last :)
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 22:30:12 »
I'm onto my 2nd Leopold in 6 months, hoping this is my last :)

question for you, is the FC700 chassis also PBT? and How's the color matching between Caps and Case,, could you possibly take a picture "WITHOUT FLASH"

I ask because I think my mom would like one.  :D

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 22:58:13 »
The case is like smooth painted hard plastic feel.. The keys are slightly whiter than the keyboard, it has a slight hint of cream in the color. I will take a picture later on.
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 00:27:13 »
Key switches on these boards are all made by Cherry.

It doesn't matter if it's Cooler Master, Filco, Leopold, KBT, or even a hand built custom... If Cherry sends them bad switches, you get a bad keyboard.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline cobraj

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 02:39:09 »
I thought they (Filco + Leopold) were produced by the same manufacturer?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: Re: LEOPOLD WARNING DO NOT BUY
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 02:58:47 »

CM QFR and Filco are, Leopold no.
I love Elzy

Offline Reomero

• Manual breather
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 03:02:22 »
I thought the Leopold had the same OEM as the QFR because the Leopold also has the "cable routing" ridges underneath the case.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 03:18:44 »
It doesn't matter who puts the little bits together, all of the switches still come from Cherry.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 03:57:56 »
If this is the keyboard that has been fixed multiple times, it might just have an underlying fault that manifests itself in all these little problems.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 04:24:42 »
If this is the keyboard that has been fixed multiple times, it might just have an underlying fault that manifests itself in all these little problems.

Keyboard is one of those things that if You can't get the warranty for it, just buy another one... Why even put in the displeasing thought about it like "the world has wronged you"...  $100 compared to several days of being pissed off... sheesh...

Offline cobraj

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 04:42:42 »

Keyboard is one of those things that if You can't get the warranty for it, just buy another one... Why even put in the displeasing thought about it like "the world has wronged you"...  $100 compared to several days of being pissed off... sheesh...

Good thinking.
I like to assume that 20% of my PC purchases will end up not working properly.
So just include them in my budget.
Also means you spend less sometimes, and end up less disappointed when **** hits the fan.

But I can understand where OP is coming from. But just buy another one and never buy a Leopold again.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 06:11:03 »
I like my Leopold and haven't had a problem with it.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 08:49:14 »
I think when I did the OEM Review thread a few of the members mentioned they have made in Taiwan Leopold while others have made in China Leopold.

So I suspect Leopold also pulled a Das and switch OEM silently hoping no one would realize.

Maybe it's time for someone to do a Old Leopold vs New Leopold review?  (this is just assumption I could be wrong)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 08:57:48 »
I bought my Leopold about 2 months ago and have no problems with it. The build quality is solid, especially when you consider the price.

Offline Harlequin

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 09:17:10 »

I am so sorry to hear that man. Which model are you talking about tho?

My FC700R Cherry MX Blue is perfectly fine :)

I've heard some ppl complaining about the same problem that you had about FC700R, but every other keyboard companies have some problems.
It's just a matter of luck i think. some ppl are lucky, some ppl are unlucky, in your case, i think u were very very unlucky, i'm sorry.

DK Saver Winkeyless | Leopold FC700R | Ducky DK9087 Shine 2

Offline Harlequin

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 09:20:15 »
Key switches on these boards are all made by Cherry.

It doesn't matter if it's Cooler Master, Filco, Leopold, KBT, or even a hand built custom... If Cherry sends them bad switches, you get a bad keyboard.

sooo true!!

DK Saver Winkeyless | Leopold FC700R | Ducky DK9087 Shine 2

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 09:22:15 »
If a switch stops working, it is probably not the switch itself, but more likely the PCB or the Switch-PCB joint.

Offline Yzeets

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 13:40:23 »
Leopold was my first keyboard just about a year ago and I have had 0 problems with it, I no longer use it daily but it still works perfect the only problem I had with it is how bright the blue led's are on the scroll-lock and caps lock, almost blinding.

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 13:42:56 »
no issues with a Leopold here.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 15:00:45 »
I was, at one point, having issues with a Leopold, but it turns out that my KVM was just a pile of crap. No issues after pulling that part out of the equation.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 15:12:29 »
The main materials quality difference between the big three (Filco, QFR, and Leo) is the PCB.  The Leo and QFR PCBs are of a comparable type, however it shouldn't really matter as long as the keyboard was assembled properly.  My Leo had several switches that were not fully seated and would likely have resulted in eventual failure.  I only used it for about a week before I took it apart to mod it and noticed this.  Some folks with QFRs had similar problems and the cause seemed to be the same: delaminated PCB pads due to key switch movement which results in broken traces.  If you've ever modded a plate-mount keyboard, you know that this can happen fairly easily.  Each switch has to be pressed into place as it is soldered.
Russ

Offline acediac01

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 18:35:26 »
This is not the experience that I have had with my Leopold at all.  :eek:

I originally picked up a TKL w/ blue switches, and the difference in the typing experience had me hooked immediately. I ended up getting a second TKL w/ brown switches for home, mostly because I didn't want to research out another board, but needed something to help with RSI in my wrists/arms. Both boards have been working great for over a year.

I'm surprised to hear about the issues you are having, but I do appreciate the info to help with future keyboard purchases.
Leopold FC200RT (browns) - Work
Poker II (browns) - Home