Author Topic: DIY mouse feet ?  (Read 63712 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
DIY mouse feet ?
« on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 20:04:52 »
WARNING Don't Do It.. !

Not worth it... time consuming...  very hard to cut well...

Just swallow the $15 for the hyperglides

But, if despite the warning, you're gonna do it anyway.. cuz, you're hard like that..

Then.... a roll of teflon from Ebay, shipped from China is $15,  half meter x half meter

Theoretically this will be enough material for mouse feet for the rest of your life..

I'd recommend 1mm thick feet for most mice, to reduce lift-off distance.

You probably want to get at least 0.5mm because the typical 3m double sided tape is thinner than the stuff they use on regular mousefeet, which is a sort of padded material..

It's quite difficult cut the teflon into the shape of mouse feet.. In the factory, they're Punched using a metal puncher..

During your attempt, DO NOT, use a scissor..   after you trace it out, use a Sharp knife.

After you cut them out, and they're gonna be ****ty in appearance vs the original no matter how careful you are..

You need to Chamfer the sides to get them smooth. you can either use your nails or another semi-hard object..

IN THE VERY END,  they're quite smooth, functionally indistinguishable, really as good as the name brand stuff, The only difference,  they're ugly..  And I'd assume many people won't be able to swallow that pill..

Offline phosphoric

Re: DIY mouse feet ?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 23:34:48 »
tp, why didn't you just get a new mouse at this point
Let's get this straight. There is nothing cool about keyboards we're all lame as fk.

speak for yourself

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 23:56:15 »
tp, why didn't you just get a new mouse at this point

Because... science!
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 02:11:12 »
Well,. the WMO is a historic mouse...

It pretty much does everything a modern gaming mouse does,

it just has a few less buttons..

it's got 1000 hz and no prediction

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 15:58:00 »
…and there's IMO with a couple of extra buttons as well.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 16:41:04 »
…and there's IMO with a couple of extra buttons as well.

it actually only has 1 extra button, because the other side button is almost completely useless as it's so easily clicked by mistake..  hahahahaha.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 05:43:53 »
Never had that problem, and neither did any other user, that I know, of that mouse over the last ~15 years, that we've had it at home.

tp4, aren't you a bit clumsy?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 06:09:03 »
Never had that problem, and neither did any other user, that I know, of that mouse over the last ~15 years, that we've had it at home.

tp4, aren't you a bit clumsy?

what problem?

the mouse feet ?

I believe the WMO stock mouse feet is not teflon, it's a smooth hard plastic.. Once it wears down a bit, it's not nearly as smooth as teflon, because the edges don't round out like teflon does.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 13:53:53 »
Accidentally clicking the other side button.

The mouse feet are too small IME (even on mice, that copy the same design, such as CM Storm Alcor).

Offline Hzza

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 14:03:55 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 03:42:46 »
These are pretty good, cheap as **** as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111087506993?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=410181055117&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

well.... i mean..

The mouse sells for like $7 on ebay.. So... hahahahha... that's pretty xpensive in relative terms..   

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 03:46:48 »
Accidentally clicking the other side button.

The mouse feet are too small IME (even on mice, that copy the same design, such as CM Storm Alcor).

I find that it's not that the feet are too small, it's that they're too thin.

I am currently using the 1mm I cut out.. and it's very very smooth, much smoother than the stock.

However, I'd imagine if you're a heavy handed palm gripper, one who puts alot of downward force on the mouse, the feet may indeed be too small..

I use finger tip side grip.

Offline DvorakDachshund

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 19:57:35 »
IN THE VERY END,  they're quite smooth, functionally indistinguishable, really as good as the name brand stuff, The only difference,  they're ugly..  And I'd assume many people won't be able to swallow that pill..

Considering they're on the underside, I think it's a pretty easy pill to swallow.

With all that extra material, have you considered experimenting with other shapes/larger skate surfaces?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 21:20:56 »

Considering they're on the underside, I think it's a pretty easy pill to swallow.

With all that extra material, have you considered experimenting with other shapes/larger skate surfaces?

Well... Here's how I see it..

The less surface is in contact with the pad, the less the friction.

Increasing the teflon surface is not to reduce friction,  increased surface is done to reduce the mouse's Roll and Pitch...

Since I myself am a high-sensitivity , finger tip user..   I do not exert much downward pressure, and I don't move the mouse hard and far enough to generate much roll and pitch..

So, FOR ME,  I feel it is ideal to reduce the contact surface.

But if you're a low sensitivity, or a palm gripper, or both,   Then surely more surface would be beneficial..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 04:44:01 »
I've lost mouse feet before, and the mouse tends to stop working properly.

I've never been bothered enough to make new foots.

After reading this, I can't see myself making new foots, especially when I have a box pf spare mouses.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline DvorakDachshund

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 10:22:20 »

Increasing the teflon surface is not to reduce friction,  increased surface is done to reduce the mouse's Roll and Pitch...

Since I myself am a high-sensitivity , finger tip user..   I do not exert much downward pressure, and I don't move the mouse hard and far enough to generate much roll and pitch..

But if you're a low sensitivity, or a palm gripper, or both,   Then surely more surface would be beneficial..

To my understanding of friction physics (F = μ mg), surface area is completely independent of total friction. This is due to a larger surface area distributing it's weight better. So for example something with twice the surface area will only exert half as much force per square inch, making it exactly the same amount of friction as something with half the surface area exerting twice the force per square inch. This relationship only breaks down once you get to surface areas small enough to dig into one another (a blade for example).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 12:10:05 »

To my understanding of friction physics (F = μ mg), surface area is completely independent of total friction. This is due to a larger surface area distributing it's weight better. So for example something with twice the surface area will only exert half as much force per square inch, making it exactly the same amount of friction as something with half the surface area exerting twice the force per square inch. This relationship only breaks down once you get to surface areas small enough to dig into one another (a blade for example).

Naw, Dawg,    You're thinking of the simplified model of friction.

Overall, if you want to argue the mechanical side.. yea.. it's good enough, and you're correct ..

However, the reality is a gamble..

Every instance of friction is unique and potentially incalculable...

There's a possibility that more surface means the same amount of friction, there is a possibility that more surface means less amount of friction, there is the possibility that more surface is an equal amount of friction..

We have no ways to perfectly determine the above 3 questions..

Therefore,  if I look elsewhere...  Fundamentally, I can compute and have a greater possibility of knowing the friction of small surface area..... whereas when that area increases the possibility is less.. (as i run out of computational power)

Now, you're going to say, well, the truth may be, that you have 0 possibility of computing either of the areas..

Sigh............   you see why this becomes a gamble..

So, I must make a decision based on inaccurate approximation no matter how deep I go..

I choose to end it at the first round of potentialities.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 01:44:49 »
my third attempt actually turned out pretty amazing! because i used a sharpening steel to polish the feet.. lol!
scissors -> sandpaper -> sharpening steel

without the polishing, i think it's not worth it at all. my first two attempts were done without the polishing, and they were terrible to use on a cloth surface.
all the imperfections will be felt while moving the mouse over a cloth surface. it feels gross.
the non-smooth shape also just increases friction. especially since i'm a low-mid sens gamer and often find myself applying more downward pressure during swipes..

but yeah, you're better off just buying hyperglides. especially since (i think) they also take custom orders if you give them the dimensions.
though, i now have the materials and somewhat of a technique down, so i'll just continue to make my own.
and i've tried other brands like tiger gaming, hotline gaming, corepad, etc.. i don't know what kind of material they use, but they all just suck compared to actual ptfe / teflon.
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 01:55:16 »
Or you can buy a 1"x12" piece of UHMW with adhesive back already applied for about a dollar + shipping from mcmaster carr. Can be cut with regular scissors, longer wear and less friction then teflon.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 09:11:41 »
Or you can buy a 1"x12" piece of UHMW with adhesive back already applied for about a dollar + shipping from mcmaster carr. Can be cut with regular scissors, longer wear and less friction then teflon.

This would still require polishing though.

And the point here is,  the labor involved makes the hyperglide a better buy.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 09:17:57 »

I can assure you that the uhmw does not require polishing. Maybe knock the corners off the edges, but that can be done in seconds with a razor blade, exacto knife, or sharp steak knife. UHMW has 15 times the abrasion resistance of carbon steel, good luck polishing better then what the factory gives you.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 09:25:13 »

I can assure you that the uhmw does not require polishing. Maybe knock the corners off the edges, but that can be done in seconds with a razor blade, exacto knife, or sharp steak knife. UHMW has 15 times the abrasion resistance of carbon steel, good luck polishing better then what the factory gives you.

mouse feet are usually round and have odd corners..  It's very hard to cut these shapes well with a knife/ scissor..

and the EDGE of the cut matters, because it digs into cloth pads.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 12:16:49 »

mouse feet are usually round and have odd corners..  It's very hard to cut these shapes well with a knife/ scissor..

and the EDGE of the cut matters, because it digs into cloth pads.

You can get adhesive backed UHMW in 1/32" thick, this will cut with any walmart grade metal blade scissors. Even curves. Might take a littlw practice, but you can order this 1" wide cut to length per foot for $.85 per foot. Much cheaper than what you listed at ebay, and a longer lasting material with lower friction than Teflon,