Author Topic: GeekHack: Pistol and Rifle - General Discussion and Picture Thread  (Read 339842 times)

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
Re: GeekHack: Pistol and Rifle - General Discussion and Picture Thread
« Reply #450 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 11:28:49 »
oh
my
god

people-lines and car-lines at the GUNZ SHOW.

So it's CRAZIER than craaaazy!!! I guess I will have to go camp out Black Friday style to get some ammo at the next gun show.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 January 2013, 11:31:23 by mmmty »
Keyboardless

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #451 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 12:04:12 »
Can anyone make any recommendations for me?  I've been reading online but the amount of information is insane.

Here's my situation:

I prefer to NOT own a gun: I really do NOT want one.  But with the way the world is going I'd like to have something to defend my home/family if all of a sudden the economy came to a screeching halt (enough so that overnight US dollars became fancy toilet paper.)

I've read online of all the guns that are available and it seems to me my preference would swing towards a single shot rifle.  The attributes that appeal to me are increased chances of reliability/durability, easy to clean, light weight (I don't care about this but if gasoline becomes hard to obtain I will probably change my mind), and for whatever reasons some owners seem to think they are more accurate - although I'm not sure why that would be.

Am I on the right track?  If I am, what ammo would you recommend?  I want something that when shot will not injury anyone who may be behind them.  I've heard the terminology "bird shot" ... but I don't know if that is restricted to a specific caliber, etc.  For that matter I'd ideally like to use the same ammo for home defense as for shooting squirrels/raccoons/maybe even deer for food.

As for why I don't think I'd like owning a gun - I'm not a fan of loud noise, especially the kind that can cause long term hearing damage.

I live in Illinois where silencers and suppressors are illegal - which if they weren't - would probably make me less hesitant in buying a gun.

If you don't really WANT a gun, but feel you need to own ONE for home defense/SHTF scenario, I would recommend you get nothing else than a Remington 870 12-gauge pump-action shotgun. It's versatile enough to be suitable for home defense, and will also do the job quite nicely for hunting small to medium game. It's extremely reliable, even if you don't maintain it very well. It holds more than one round, in case follow-up shots are needed. And the variety of ammunition is quite wide, everything from bird loads to buckshot to 1-oz rifled slugs.

And I don't know if there's any SOUND in the world more intimidating than the sound of a pump shotgun being racked to load a round. The sound of that alone would be enough to drive away most would-be attackers.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Atakp

« Reply #452 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 12:31:43 »

If you don't really WANT a gun, but feel you need to own ONE for home defense/SHTF scenario, I would recommend you get nothing else than a Remington 870 12-gauge pump-action shotgun. It's versatile enough to be suitable for home defense, and will also do the job quite nicely for hunting small to medium game. It's extremely reliable, even if you don't maintain it very well. It holds more than one round, in case follow-up shots are needed. And the variety of ammunition is quite wide, everything from bird loads to buckshot to 1-oz rifled slugs.

And I don't know if there's any SOUND in the world more intimidating than the sound of a pump shotgun being racked to load a round. The sound of that alone would be enough to drive away most would-be attackers.

Couldn't agree more. I wouldn't want a bolt action rifle for home defense. If I had to have just one to meet your needs...12 gauge pump action shotgun is 110% the sure way to go.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #453 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 13:24:51 »
I prefer to NOT own a gun: I really do NOT want one.  But with the way the world is going I'd like to have something to defend my home/family if all of a sudden the economy came to a screeching halt (enough so that overnight US dollars became fancy toilet paper.)

I like the way you worded that, because I largely consider myself "anti-gun" even though I own them. Because I honestly would prefer a world in which violent weapons did NOT exist. But since they do, I recognize that individual ownership is very important. That's the funny thing - the vast majority of people who claim they are "anti-gun" are really VERY much "pro-gun"; they just believe that the majority of the guns should be in the hands of non-peaceful people. This is something I disagree with very much.

I highly recommend trying before you buy, and I also recommend having at least two guns: one for home defense and a .22LR. .22LR is the cheapest ammo, will probably always be the most available, and the guns are very versatile tools. Not necessarily good for home defense (though better than nothing) but you really can't go wrong by owning at least one. I am very happy with both my P226 and my M&P22 and would not hesitate to buy either of these weapons again in a second. I am thinking very seriously about getting a Glock as well though. And if I saw another P226 I liked I would probably not hesitate to pick it up. Also since you are afraid of the noise be sure to get some decent hearing protection.

I finally got a new grip on my Sig and it looks MUCH better. It was a PITA though...ordered the wrong replacement hammer spring twice :(
But it was worth it.

11629-0
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 January 2013, 13:47:44 by keyboardlover »

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #454 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 14:20:09 »
Can anyone make any recommendations for me?  I've been reading online but the amount of information is insane.

Here's my situation:

I've read online of all the guns that are available and it seems to me my preference would swing towards a single shot rifle.  The attributes that appeal to me are increased chances of reliability/durability, easy to clean, light weight (I don't care about this but if gasoline becomes hard to obtain I will probably change my mind), and for whatever reasons some owners seem to think they are more accurate - although I'm not sure why that would be.

Am I on the right track?  If I am, what ammo would you recommend?  I want something that when shot will not injury anyone who may be behind them.  I've heard the terminology "bird shot" ... but I don't know if that is restricted to a specific caliber, etc.  For that matter I'd ideally like to use the same ammo for home defense as for shooting squirrels/raccoons/maybe even deer for food.

As for why I don't think I'd like owning a gun - I'm not a fan of loud noise, especially the kind that can cause long term hearing damage.

I live in Illinois where silencers and suppressors are illegal - which if they weren't - would probably make me less hesitant in buying a gun.

i'm kind of glossing over your post and i'm not a gun expert, but if you really wanted something for a third-world scenario, or however you want to phrase that, then you'd be looking at something in the most commonly available calibers.  so, 9mm or 40s&w.  as far as handguns go, anyway.

i have relatively large hands and my sig p226 fits my hand perfectly.  it's kind of ridiculous, actually; sometimes i pick it up just so i can say to myself "why the hell does this fit my hand perfectly, what the f-"

reading further, all guns will cause hearing damage -- that nonsense you see in the movies where someone fires a handgun next to someone else's ear and doesn't flinch is an outright lie, and a dangerous one at that.  even in completely open area with optimal atmospheric conditions, or whatever, you will immediately regret firing a handgun without hearing protection.  i actually own a suppressor (osprey 9) and even without hearing protection that is still not really something you want to fire without it, ideally.  also, it introduces an additional point of failure in your "weapons system," and that thing gets hot as hell after even only a few rounds.  do not touch a suppressor without some kind of glove, or whatever; you will regret it. 

if you're digging really deep as far as hearing protection goes, get some of those "active" military-style hearing protection implements, however costly they may be.

22lr is good to have around too, since that's another common cartridge.  depending on how far you're looking to go, there are all sorts of things to watch out for, i guess.  personally i'm fine and mostly indifferent to the insanity of the outside world just having a 9mm sig p226 and a few boxes of ammunition, though.  but that's just me, by myself; i can understand this may look different if you're in a family situation, but don't tread too far into the forbidden realm of paranoia.  :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 January 2013, 14:27:56 by precarious »

Offline Preach

• The Insane
« Reply #455 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 02:36:03 »
Stumbled upon this lovely thread. Didn't think anyone here on GH would have one. heh.

Olympic Arms upper and lower
Magpul sights
Magpul RVG
Magpul MOE stock

Still in progress (when is it ever really finished?) but it shoots very well.
QFR - Browns |

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
Re: Re: GeekHack: Pistol and Rifle - General Discussion and Picture Thread
« Reply #456 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 07:12:46 »
Stumbled upon this lovely thread. Didn't think anyone here on GH would have one. heh.

Olympic Arms upper and lower
Magpul sights
Magpul RVG
Magpul MOE stock

Still in progress (when is it ever really finished?) but it shoots very well.

Nice. I like all the magpul. I really like that pelican case too. And yeah, you're never done. I learned that the hard way. On arfcom they call it BRD, black rifle disease. I'm afraid there's no cure.
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline linkz

« Reply #457 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 08:00:51 »
My fav, Beretta 90-two.

Best looking handgun

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #458 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 19:28:42 »
Thought I would bump up this thread...

Finally finished up my Dissapator Build:

An now on to my SOPMOD Block II Clone Build:

Parts List:

Upper:
-DD RIS II FDE
-14.5 BCM Midlength Standard Barrel
-BCM A2X Extended Flash Hider
-BCM Gasblock and Gas Tube
-Noveske Upper Receiver
-KAC MK12/Mk18 Taupe Front Sight
-BCM Charging Handle
-Tango Down FDE VFG
-Eotech 553 Tan

Lower:
-Noveske N4 Lower Receiver
-White Oak Armament LPK
-ALG SCT Trigger
-Magpul Enchanced Trigger Guard
-Milspec Buffer Tube
-BCM Carbine Buffer and Spring
-BAD ASS Ambi Safety Selector
-Noveske QD Endplate
-LMT Tan Sopmod Stock

Still Need to get:
-KAC 200-600 Rear Sights
-Surefire Scout M300 in Tan or Insight M3 Tan
-BCG

Hopefully when I finish building it, it willl looking something like this ( Sorry stole the pics - one on the bottom):

REALFORCE|FILCO|HHKB|KBC POKER X|LEOPOLD|CM STORM|SIIG (GHSS)|IBM SSK

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #459 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 00:40:03 »
^ that's what I called hardcore :) When is your 1st real match??

I've decided to just stick with pistols. Saving up for this custom CZ. It's a beauty.

« Last Edit: Sun, 27 January 2013, 00:44:33 by mmmty »
Keyboardless

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #460 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 01:11:59 »
^^^ thats a beaut...

First IDPA match is in March. There is a USPSA open practice next month I might go with some people from my safety class...

You werent kidding when you said I would get addicted, moving and shooting is so much fun,,,,

Finished the lower today:

Offline precarious

« Reply #461 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 12:15:47 »
how's everyone's ammo availability doing locally?  it seems 9mm doesn't exist in central virginia, along with the other common calibers.  45 is still relatively easy to come by, with the occasional box of 40 s&w.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #462 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 12:20:48 »
OK... so I've been saying that I was going to post a picture of my shotgun in this thread for months... I'll get a picture momentarily.

Here she is. 36 inch barrel, adjustable stock, and modified choke for the trap shooting team at school. The bandaid is indeed Angry Birds, and it is for positioning my hand correctly while shooting trap as to not affect my swing speed.

She's kinda heavy, don't call her fat though.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 January 2013, 13:26:32 by SmallFry »

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #463 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 13:14:53 »
how's everyone's ammo availability doing locally?  it seems 9mm doesn't exist in central virginia, along with the other common calibers.  45 is still relatively easy to come by, with the occasional box of 40 s&w.

About the same in central Texas. Plenty of 45 (though less then before) and occasional 40sw. 9mm is just gone everywhere I've been. (And I've been looking!) My range is rationing FMJ 9mm to the shooters that shoot it there. Can't buy any reloading dies/etc either.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 June 2017, 10:45:51 by aggiejy »

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #464 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 19:31:03 »
^^^ thats a beaut...

First IDPA match is in March. There is a USPSA open practice next month I might go with some people from my safety class...

You werent kidding when you said I would get addicted, moving and shooting is so much fun,,,,

I just started doing IDPA/Three Gun last summer, between that and keyboards I'm going broke!

Picked up a Glock 17L a couple months ago, can't wait to shoot it in competition.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #465 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 20:53:16 »
^^^ thats a beaut...

I just started doing IDPA/Three Gun last summer, between that and keyboards I'm going broke!

Picked up a Glock 17L a couple months ago, can't wait to shoot it in competition.

Show Image

Damn thats a long slide ... makes the glock 34 slide looks punny. I ended up picking up a glock 34 for IDPA/USPSA matches..... I was using my Glock 19, but wanted the extra length.

In california there is no ammo to be had locally and if you find it locally it is over priced... I would love to pick up .45 locally but its near impossible now.

I mainingly go online and buy now instead of going to a store. I would go to a gun show but those are crazy right now and prices arent any better...

If you dont know this site, but I usually go here to see if there are any ammo deals: http://www.slickguns.com/

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #466 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 20:56:46 »
My advice is to not buy now unless you absolutely have to...I am really glad I bought before all this crazy stuff started happening. Wait until the end of the year or so, when everything calms down.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #467 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:05:09 »
My advice is to not buy now unless you absolutely have to...I am really glad I bought before all this crazy stuff started happening. Wait until the end of the year or so, when everything calms down.

Trying to ride it out also... I was loaded up on my normal caliber's like 9mm and .223/5.56 ... but I was unprepared for .45 since I had just got my 1911's...

Just reminds me to consolidate calibers or pony up for a reloading setup  :p

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #468 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:07:04 »
I'm so glad I bought those 20 boxes of 9mm from PSA just before they were sold out every where - online and local stores. Now I have to think more than twice before using a box of ammo.

Keyboardless

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #469 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:10:33 »
crap, just when i want to buy a gun all the craziest went and bought all the ammo.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline precarious

« Reply #470 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:14:44 »
crap, just when i want to buy a gun all the craziest went and bought all the ammo.

yeah, that's the worst part, especially now.  you spend $500 dollars just to find out it's going to cost you that much just to take the damn dame out for a weekend. :)

i'm ~$2K into this p226 + osprey 9 setup and right now i'd probably be buying the whole setup over again if i wanted to take it out more than once or twice.

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #471 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:14:58 »

Yes, the federal government.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #472 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:17:40 »
tyranny bro.

government is evil!

illuminati.

blahblahblah.

anyway, i've got a couple things lined up for this year. one being getting a pistol. seems like fun going out to the gun range on the weekends!

Offline keyboardlover

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #474 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:20:50 »
seems like fun going out to the gun range on the weekends!

and you'll have no excuse not to come up to the bay. guns are the best self defense you can buy... right?
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline precarious

« Reply #475 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:21:17 »
tyranny bro.

government is evil!

illuminati.

blahblahblah.

anyway, i've got a couple things lined up for this year. one being getting a pistol. seems like fun going out to the gun range on the weekends!

the only thing i'll say is that the government is the collective result of the unconscious or otherwise uncorrected will of "the people" and is thus evidently flawed ;));):000;::;;00:;0::):):):;;0)

going out to the gun range on the weekends is fun if you have money to spend on it, but that hasn't generally been much of a trouble until lately ;((((;:;::9;9:(:(99:(:9;9:(

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #476 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:21:40 »
seems like fun going out to the gun range on the weekends!

and you'll have no excuse not to come up to the bay. guns are the best self defense you can buy... right?

definitely.

i mean if i'm being robbed at gun point i'm sure the dude will give me a chance to pull out my weapon, right?

right?

no? ****.

and actually, i was thinking of visiting my cousin in Berkeley this year :D

tyranny bro.

government is evil!

illuminati.

blahblahblah.

the only thing i'll say is that the government is the collective result of the unconscious or otherwise uncorrected will of "the people" and is thus evidently flawed ;));):000;::;;00:;0::):):):;;0)

going out to the gun range on the weekends is fun if you have money to spend on it, but that hasn't generally been much of a trouble until lately ;((((;:;::9;9:(:(99:(:9;9:(
i was mocking mr. the government is evil :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:23:38 by demik »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #477 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:22:17 »
The only gun I've ever shot is a Mk19 grenade launcher. Can I still talk about it in this thread?  :p

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #478 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:23:50 »

i mean if i'm being robbed at gun point i'm sure the dude will give me a chance to pull out my weapon, right?

fair's fair
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #479 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:27:58 »
damn it, i can't ever pick a hobby that doesn't drain my wallet :(

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #480 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:28:28 »
Even before all this crazy stuff happened, going to the range easily cost between 50-80 a trip depending on what ammo you need.

It's cheaper if you can go to one that allows you to shoot your own ammo; that way you can order bulk and bring it with you.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #481 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:29:06 »
demik, go to jpm's house. He has many guns. But you gotta bring your own ammo though.
Keyboardless

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #482 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:29:23 »

Let me know if you do come thru... more than happy to bring some toys out if you go out to the range. :cool:

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #483 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:29:37 »
many guns and many keyboards.

i like your thinking!

Let me know if you do come thru... more than happy to bring some toys out if you go out to the range. :cool:

most def, you stay in sj right?

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #484 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:30:42 »
demik, go to jpm's house. He has many guns. But you gotta bring your own ammo though.

Dont worry ammo is on me... if it gets a new person into the shooting sports, it was well worth it.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #485 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:31:19 »
as long as that sport doesnt involve killing anything >.<

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #486 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:32:19 »

i like your thinking!

most def, you stay in sj right?

Yup... but I can come up if needed. The range i go to here in san jose allows you shoot at steel for rifle and pistol... and doesnt have rules against "rapid fire".  ;D

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #487 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:33:13 »

i'm ~$2K into this p226 + osprey 9 setup

I want to see pics of that!

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #488 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:37:09 »
as long as that sport doesnt involve killing anything >.<

Damn it you figured me out..... i was going to recreate the movie Hard Target and you were the prey  :p

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #489 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:38:50 »

or the pest!

since apparently some people want me banned O.O

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #490 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:40:21 »
don't let jpm take you into the woods or make you wear this shirt.

Keyboardless

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #491 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:43:51 »
You think he needs a shirt with a target on it? ;)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #492 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:47:34 »
not sure how to take that

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #493 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:48:47 »
You think he needs a shirt with a target on it? ;)
not sure how to take that
i mean like
he's really into guns
he can probably hit things without a target
whatever i'm just gonna go over here

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #494 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 21:50:17 »
Lol.

Anyway, back to ammo, this whole situation is why I highly recommend owning at least one .22LR weapon. That's the ammo which will always be cheapest, most available and the guns hardly ever come under fire from the grabbers. Is it what you want for self-defense? Probably not, but it's certainly adequate and better than nothing.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #495 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 23:38:59 »
demik, if you go to jpm's place and he and his buddies are all sitting around smoking cigars and drinking scotch, just GTFO.

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #496 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 23:51:56 »
Party @ JPM's and ammo is on him! ^-^

Offline precarious

« Reply #497 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 10:13:28 »

i'm ~$2K into this p226 + osprey 9 setup

I want to see pics of that!

posted it in this thread a while ago but there you go!  still haven't taken it out since last july or so, probably going to be substantially longer now. ;{

i like your thinking!

gotta shoot them keyboards somehow, cullin' the herd 'n' whatnot

Anyway, back to ammo, this whole situation is why I highly recommend owning at least one .22LR weapon.

.22 has been cleaned out everywhere I've been, too :)

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #498 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 11:08:28 »
Lol.

Anyway, back to ammo, this whole situation is why I highly recommend owning at least one .22LR weapon. That's the ammo which will always be cheapest, most available and the guns hardly ever come under fire from the grabbers. Is it what you want for self-defense? Probably not, but it's certainly adequate and better than nothing.

Agreed.  Everyone should own a .22.  I'd argue it's the most fun plinker too.  And you can stock up on 10k rounds for nothing. :)

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #499 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 11:10:03 »
I know I've said this before... but I want a 1911 with a .45 slide and then a .22 for plinking rounds downrange without breaking the bank.