Author Topic: GeekHack: Pistol and Rifle - General Discussion and Picture Thread  (Read 339597 times)

Offline An9e11

Re: GeekHack: Pistol and Rifle - General Discussion and Picture Thread
« Reply #850 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 10:09:09 »
Can't believe I sold this.  :-[ I miss it all the time now.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #851 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 23:04:13 »
Can't believe I sold this.  :-[ I miss it all the time now.
Show Image

Oh geez, why'd you do it?! it's so beautiful...

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #852 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 01:19:03 »
Here's the new AR! Running only 45 degree sights on it until I can afford an optic, but that won't be very long.

I also took a comparison pic of the BCMGunfighter large latch charging handle vs a standard AR charging handle.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #853 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 02:00:31 »
Here's the new AR! Running only 45 degree sights on it until I can afford an optic, but that won't be very long.

Show Image

I also took a comparison pic of the BCMGunfighter large latch charging handle vs a standard AR charging handle.

Show Image

That's Nice comrade.... I really do like the new CMR handguard's especially the 14" version. Did you build the upper yourself? what optics you have in mind for this rifle?

Also I do like the large latch BCMgunfighter handle the more I use it... I had been using the medium version on my other rifles but decided to use the large on my last build and I kinda like the larger size... My new favorite is the rainerarms/atxs charging handle but not sure most people want to pay that price for a charging handle. But I do find it easier to manipulate then the BCM, but the BCM one is no slouch.
REALFORCE|FILCO|HHKB|KBC POKER X|LEOPOLD|CM STORM|SIIG (GHSS)|IBM SSK

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #854 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 14:28:28 »

Show Image

Show Image

That's Nice comrade.... I really do like the new CMR handguard's especially the 14" version. Did you build the upper yourself? what optics you have in mind for this rifle?

Also I do like the large latch BCMgunfighter handle the more I use it... I had been using the medium version on my other rifles but decided to use the large on my last build and I kinda like the larger size... My new favorite is the rainerarms/atxs charging handle but not sure most people want to pay that price for a charging handle. But I do find it easier to manipulate then the BCM, but the BCM one is no slouch.

Weapon Outfitters put my upper together, I only built the lower.

Planning on putting a Leupold VXR 1.25-4 on it, I've become a big fan of low power magnified optics after playing with a few different setups that friends have.

I wanted to get the Rainier charging handle but like you said, $80 is a lot for a charging handle, and I don't really care about ambidexterity. I'm really happy with this BCM one.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #855 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 16:25:09 »

Planning on putting a Leupold VXR 1.25-4 on it, I've become a big fan of low power magnified optics after playing with a few different setups that friends have.

I wanted to get the Rainier charging handle but like you said, $80 is a lot for a charging handle, and I don't really care about ambidexterity. I'm really happy with this BCM one.

Nice,,,,, I was thinking of getting the same upper from weapon outfitters when they had the centurion arms upper promo they were running, but I was gonna go with the 14.7 barrel.. I swear that place takes all my money  :p

Let me know how that leupold works out for you, looking for a variable zoom optic also. Would loved a nighthawk 2.5-10x 24 or a Vortex razor HD GEN II 1-6x

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #856 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 16:53:57 »

Nice,,,,, I was thinking of getting the same upper from weapon outfitters when they had the centurion arms upper promo they were running, but I was gonna go with the 14.7 barrel.. I swear that place takes all my money  :p

Let me know how that leupold works out for you, looking for a variable zoom optic also. Would loved a nighthawk 2.5-10x 24 or a Vortex razor HD GEN II 1-6x

Those look super nice, a little out of my price range though. Been considering the Leupold Mk4 1.5-5x20 or a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x24 also, just not sure how much I need to spend on a scope and how much extra I will get for the price increase.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 July 2013, 16:58:31 by ComradeSniper »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #857 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 17:06:43 »

Show Image

Show Image

That is sexy.  I need to get myself a job outside of California so I can get myself one of those.  Of course, I'd make it a left, but sexy gun.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #858 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 22:58:12 »

Those look super nice, a little out of my price range though. Been considering the Leupold Mk4 1.5-5x20 or a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x24 also, just not sure how much I need to spend on a scope and how much extra I will get for the price increase.

Yes,,,, optics prices are all over the place. My only adventure in the variable zoom area was a mullerspeedshot 1-4x and for the price I was actually impressed (~$200) illuminated red dot.

ended up selling to fund other things but was decent for the price and function. The leupold and Trijicon you mentioned was fine options but I was being a cheap ass when I bought that  Mueller..

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #859 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 23:00:31 »

Show Image

Show Image

That is sexy.  I need to get myself a job outside of California so I can get myself one of those.  Of course, I'd make it a left, but sexy gun.

Also a fellow Californian, and you definitely can get one of those rifles while still in California. While our laws are somewhat restrictive on certain aspects, don't let that discourage you from getting one if you interested.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #860 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 01:14:35 »

Yes,,,, optics prices are all over the place. My only adventure in the variable zoom area was a mullerspeedshot 1-4x and for the price I was actually impressed (~$200) illuminated red dot.

ended up selling to fund other things but was decent for the price and function. The leupold and Trijicon you mentioned was fine options but I was being a cheap ass when I bought that  Mueller..

Yeah, as cliche as it is, "buy once, cry once" is really true.

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #861 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 22:53:16 »
Actually your correct, its a 870 which I just replaced the fore end and stock with some magpul parts..

How do you like the Magpul furniture on that 870 as far as function goes? I'm thinking about getting some for my Mossberg. It looks good btw

I actually like the magpul furniture since the stock shortens the length of pull on it which I wanted since I thought the original stock was a bit long for me.

Also the forend is a little bit bigger than the stock forend so to better get hold of it for racking it. also its nice you can add rails on it of you want to add a light.

Definitely worth the purchase for me...

Hey thanks for the info. I will probably need extra recoil pad then b/c I like long length of pull. I'm also 6'3".

I added a magpul rail to my existing Hogue forend with the aid of a drill, a dremel, and a sharp knife to cut into the rubber overmolding, but I'm betting that the factory designed solution is less ghetto...

I was thinking of getting a Streamlight TRL-1 for this setup:

I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #862 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 00:46:49 »
Actually your correct, its a 870 which I just replaced the fore end and stock with some magpul parts..

How do you like the Magpul furniture on that 870 as far as function goes? I'm thinking about getting some for my Mossberg. It looks good btw

I actually like the magpul furniture since the stock shortens the length of pull on it which I wanted since I thought the original stock was a bit long for me.

Also the forend is a little bit bigger than the stock forend so to better get hold of it for racking it. also its nice you can add rails on it of you want to add a light.

Definitely worth the purchase for me...

Hey thanks for the info. I will probably need extra recoil pad then b/c I like long length of pull. I'm also 6'3".

I added a magpul rail to my existing Hogue forend with the aid of a drill, a dremel, and a sharp knife to cut into the rubber overmolding, but I'm betting that the factory designed solution is less ghetto...

I was thinking of getting a Streamlight TRL-1 for this setup:

Show Image
Show Image

That rail doesn't look ghetto at all.... as long as it's solid and works, its good in my books. Have you looked at the Inforce WML lights... I was thinking of one of those my shotty... like the button position and how it could mount to the forend

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #863 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 00:21:38 »
The Inforce WML looks really good, I've been considering getting one.

Also, my optic and mount arrived! I went with the Leupold VXR 1.25-4x20 on a LaRue SPR mount.

I'm truly blown away by how nice it is. The SPR sets the optic at the perfect height and is totally solid; it doesn't move at all. The VXR's glass is nice and clear, and acquisition is super quick with the red dot in the center of the reticle. I was a little worried that 4x wouldn't be enough magnification, but after nailing my range's 18 inch steel plate at 400m multiple times without much trouble I can tell that it will be more than enough for 3 gun, where targets are rarely further out than 300m. On top of that, the whole package added just over a pound to my rifle. I couldn't be happier. I don't think I'll ever put a non magnified optic on a rifle again, except maybe on an SBR.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #864 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 21:06:12 »

Also, my optic and mount arrived! I went with the Leupold VXR 1.25-4x20 on a LaRue SPR mount.

Show Image

Show Image

I'm truly blown away by how nice it is. The SPR sets the optic at the perfect height and is totally solid; it doesn't move at all. The VXR's glass is nice and clear, and acquisition is super quick with the red dot in the center of the reticle. I was a little worried that 4x wouldn't be enough magnification, but after nailing my range's 18 inch steel plate at 400m multiple times without much trouble I can tell that it will be more than enough for 3 gun, where targets are rarely further out than 300m. On top of that, the whole package added just over a pound to my rifle. I couldn't be happier. I don't think I'll ever put a non magnified optic on a rifle again, except maybe on an SBR.

That optics and mount combo look very nice...love LaRue mounts..... any plans to change out the muzzle device on it?

Also what trigger do you have in that rifle?

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #865 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 00:17:47 »

Show Image

Show Image

That optics and mount combo look very nice...love LaRue mounts..... any plans to change out the muzzle device on it?

Yeah, probably going to get a muzzle brake for it within the next couple weeks, probably Surefire.

I put a Timney 3lb trigger in it. Installation was really easy since it's a drop in. Geiselles run about $50 more but to be honest I'm not sure how much you could improve on the Timney, it's an awesome trigger.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #866 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 21:22:34 »

Show Image

Show Image

Yeah, probably going to get a muzzle brake for it within the next couple weeks, probably Surefire.

I put a Timney 3lb trigger in it. Installation was really easy since it's a drop in. Geiselles run about $50 more but to be honest I'm not sure how much you could improve on the Timney, it's an awesome trigger.

Which Surefire muzzle brake were you looking at?

Let me know how that timney trigger works out for you? I've got only geissele but wouldn't mind trying out a timney in the future...

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #867 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 00:52:48 »

Show Image

Show Image

Which Surefire muzzle brake were you looking at?

Let me know how that timney trigger works out for you? I've got only geissele but wouldn't mind trying out a timney in the future...

The SFMB 556, I think the only difference between that and the M556BK is the suppressor adapter threads.

I'm really liking the Timney, no complaints at all. I'll have to try out a Geissele eventually.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #868 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 03:26:55 »
Figured this thread hasn't been bumped in a bit, some new things in my collection:

My First HK 

HK USP9

Finally wanted to try out an M&P pistol.... starting to become one of favorite pistols because the grip fits so good in my hand.

M&P9 VTAC

« Last Edit: Sat, 24 August 2013, 03:32:50 by jpm804 »

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #869 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 07:46:01 »
Awesome stuff! I really like HK pistols.

I prefer Glocks to M&Ps, but after playing with my father's M&P Shield I think I'm becoming a fan. I love your tan framed one.

I'm shooting at the 2013 Montana Multigun today, so I'll have some footage up in a bit!

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #870 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 13:40:40 »
Good luck...and looking forward to see the vids..

Awesome stuff! I really like HK pistols.

I prefer Glocks to M&Ps, but after playing with my father's M&P Shield I think I'm becoming a fan. I love your tan framed one.

I'm shooting at the 2013 Montana Multigun today, so I'll have some footage up in a bit!

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #871 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 13:48:55 »
I wish we would have the right to bear arms around here :3

Offline mauri

« Reply #872 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 14:41:39 »

I've had to clean my service weapons enough times to never want to have a one :llama:
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #873 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 21:56:29 »

Don't worry... I live in California, they are slowly chipping away our rights in this state also  :(

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #874 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 23:51:36 »
JPGM IM GOING TO NORCAL SECOND WEEKEND OF DEC CAN U TAKE ME SHOOTING PLS
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #875 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 00:34:07 »

Let me know the dates and what area you are going to be at and we will make this happen... always happy to take people out who want to shoot...

Big question is what do you want to shoot.... handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc.....  :p

P.S - Probably guessing your coming up for a niners game?

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #876 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 01:30:05 »
As promised

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #877 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 01:50:20 »

Let me know the dates and what area you are going to be at and we will make this happen... always happy to take people out who want to shoot...

Big question is what do you want to shoot.... handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc.....  :p

niners vs seattle

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #878 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 01:54:13 »

As promised

Video not working  :(

niners vs seattle

Good game to go to.. 12/8. I should be town so barring any issues we should be able to go...

you staying in SF?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #879 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 01:55:24 »
i believe so. haven't made any reservations yet. going with my uncle saturday and leaving monday

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #880 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 01:56:56 »
Dunno what's up with my embedding so have a link
feature=youtu.be

Really need a decent shotgun, I'm waiting for a 930 JM Pro to come in stock anywhere...

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #881 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 02:00:27 »
i believe so. haven't made any reservations yet. going with my uncle saturday and leaving monday

K.. just remind when the times comes up... also you gonna have time, sounds like a short trip.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #882 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 03:10:13 »
Damn that looked like fun and love the outdoor course, so wide open.

Was that a Remington 870? Also how did the rifle and scope combo work for you? Looked like you were getting good hits.

Also semi auto shotguns would probably make you run the course quicker? I've been looking at that 930 jm pro or the mossberg rhythm version ( think that's what's it's called) ...amazed how the pros reload the shotguns so quick...

Dunno what's up with my embedding so have a link
feature=youtu.be

Really need a decent shotgun, I'm waiting for a 930 JM Pro to come in stock anywhere...

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #883 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 13:35:37 »
Damn that looked like fun and love the outdoor course, so wide open.

Was that a Remington 870? Also how did the rifle and scope combo work for you? Looked like you were getting good hits.

Also semi auto shotguns would probably make you run the course quicker? I've been looking at that 930 jm pro or the mossberg rhythm version ( think that's what's it's called) ...amazed how the pros reload the shotguns so quick...

Yep, a very well used 870. It's not a bad shotgun except for the action being incredibly worn, which results in a lot of hang ups like you saw in the video. I think I could go a lot faster with a semi auto shotgun, especially on spinners, which are always difficult for me. Being able to double tap one end of the spinner would make things go a lot quicker.

I've been looking at the "Load Two" technique as an alternative to loading 4 shells out of a caddy. I think I might pick up some equipment and give it a try once I get the new shotgun.

As for the rifle, I absolutely love it. The magnified optic makes the long shots easy, and the AR platform is just overall better suited to 3 gun than the AK.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #884 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 21:45:23 »
Not really my new guns but I thought it deserves to be posted :P

1911 posts for the great ol' 1911. I know the SA Loaded in ss isn't the best 1911 with the weird allen bolt guide rod and all, but I've always thought it's just one of the best looking ones.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #885 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 21:51:37 »
I prefer the TRP

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #886 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 22:03:23 »
I just got my first gun. Sig 2022.

Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #887 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 22:16:00 »

Show Image

Cool. 9 or 40? I have the 9mm  version. I like mine

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #888 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 22:18:18 »
I prefer the TRP

Show Image

The TRP is definitely a better gun, and that one is more simple but just as beautiful in its own way.

All these responses, so glad I bumped :P

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #889 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 22:22:21 »

Show Image

Great holster choice.

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #890 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 22:35:03 »

I've had to clean my service weapons enough times to never want to have a one

Ditto.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #891 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 08:15:12 »
Cool. 9 or 40? I have the 9mm  version. I like mine

9mm

Great holster choice.

It is right handed, came with the gun... I am left handed shooter. Just another day in the life of a southpaw.
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline thebeargentile

« Reply #892 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 08:22:39 »
I love the 2022s so much... they feel soooo good in my hands.  I almost piced up a 2022 the other day, but I personally have the problem that every time I end up going to the shop looking for a new concealed carry, I end up coming out with another full-sized platform, so I bucked down and ended up getting P290RS instead  :D

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #893 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 08:39:26 »
I couldn't say no to it for the price I got it at ($325). The 1911 felt best in my hands though.
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #894 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 08:49:14 »
That is an excellent price. Mine was about 100 more by the time I paid shipping and transfer fee.

Pixel, if you decide to sell the holster to a right let me know ;-)

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #895 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 09:10:04 »
That is an excellent price. Mine was about 100 more by the time I paid shipping and transfer fee.

Pixel, if you decide to sell the holster to a right let me know ;-)

I very well might. Depends on if I can find a left one for a decent price that fits the 2022.
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #896 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 10:43:30 »
Nice gun pixel and good price on it... Enjoyed mine when I had the same gun. But damn were the magazines expensive.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #897 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 00:30:39 »
Just got this RMR for my m&p core slide ....my faux m&p pro core

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #898 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 00:31:45 »
Just got this RMR for my m&p core slide ....my faux m&p pro core

Show Image

Nice setup! I'm hoping to get a similar one in the near future.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #899 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 11:23:53 »
Nice!!!  :thumb:

Keyboardless