Author Topic: Shipping costs to Canada?  (Read 11266 times)

Offline Ahlitah

Shipping costs to Canada?
« on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 10:30:35 »
is there anyway to find out the general shipping costs to Canada? for say 1 keyboard, either full size or 10keyless.

I can't find it on the site, without having to Register and try to checkout.

I don't want to have to register and try to checkout and find the prices are too high.

I want a way to estimate shipping costs, then once I checkout get the final shipping costs.

Offline ShakeR

• http://mechanicalkeyboards.com
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 10:42:21 »
Quote from: Ahlitah;613326
is there anyway to find out the general shipping costs to Canada? for say 1 keyboard, either full size or 10keyless.

I can't find it on the site, without having to Register and try to checkout.

I don't want to have to register and try to checkout and find the prices are too high.

I want a way to estimate shipping costs, then once I checkout get the final shipping costs.

Have you tried the shipping estimator without using a space between characters in your Postal Code?
MechanicalKeyboards.com - What do you type on?

Offline Ahlitah

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 10:44:09 »
what shipping estimator?

I don't see one anywhere on the site

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 11:39:05 »
Quote from: Ahlitah;613340
what shipping estimator?

I don't see one anywhere on the site

I was actually fixing to post this.  Apparently the plugin is not working properly.  Let me see if I can post a table for you.

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 12:00:28 »
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52898[/ATTACH]

Offline Ahlitah

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 14 June 2012, 12:48:10 »
thanks for the table.

they are about what I was expecting them to be.

now if you get those green switches (which you posted about)  I might even place an order!

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 21:43:25 »
What carrier are you guys using?  I'd order a Race, but $34 shipping is a bit steep when others will ship heavier boards (Choc Mini) via USPS for $15. :(  That, and anything but USPS is butt-rape for Canadians (UPS = $70 bill at the door for a $120usd item, after initial $20-30 shipping charge).
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 June 2012, 21:45:36 by RickyJ »
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 22:31:02 »
$15 is about right for a 3.5 lb keyboard to Canada via USPS. It's much cheaper than I expected. This isn't counting cost of packing materials of course.

Keep in mind, though, that many fullsize keyboards will be over 4 lbs, and therefore won't qualify for first class mail international (cheap) postage via USPS.

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 23:40:13 »
1st class to Canada should be even less than $15.

We don't offer this service since 1 out of 20 shipments is lost and it takes up to 6 - 8 weeks to arrive in some extreme cases.

As much as customers swear up and down they 'accept the risk' as soon as it takes 4 weeks to get there or gets lost, it's on us to make it right.  As such, we only use USPS priority mail for now.

Vote for politician in Canada who will reduce import taxes so we can ship ground with fedex or UPS ;)

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 23:44:18 »
Going through the USPS calculator, if ShakeR's default shipping option is USPS Express Mail International, I would probably buy right now.  First-Class is $8.30 with no visible insurance option, Priority is $25 with an extra $4.75 insurance.

Given that the only option on MechanicalKeyboards.com is the following screenshot, the ducks aren't exactly lining up.

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 23:48:17 »
You beat me to my post ShakeR.  How much extra is Express?  In my example using the Race's dimensions plus a small buffer, Express was $33.90 vs $30 for insured Priority, and the Express service has vastly superior ship times.

Politicians have nothing to do with it, honestly.  DHL/Fedex/UPS all get extra rapey when you get close to the border.  It's often cheaper for me to ship something USPS to me than it is to ship Canada Post to a different province.

If you really want a laugh, it is actually cheaper to use NONE of the above options.  You ship for $9 to Blaine, Washington, where for $17 a sea-plane flies it to the airport 20-mins away from me. lol

edit: I wasn't trying to berate you ShakeR, was just trying to figure out the current vagueness on your new site. :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 June 2012, 00:02:42 by RickyJ »

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 13:48:10 »
Quote from: RickyJ;615998
If you really want a laugh, it is actually cheaper to use NONE of the above options. You ship for $9 to Blaine, Washington, where for $17 a sea-plane flies it to the airport 20-mins away from me. lol

Setup a freight forwarder in Blaine, Washington.  It would make our life much easier.

I wasn't trying to berate you ShakeR, was just trying to figure out the current vagueness on your new site.

Our prices for 'Standard' should be set to Priority Mail cost.  It appears the screen shot rate above is showing Priority Mail retail rates, which are usually $1 - $4 more than online rates.

If the prices are very close, we bump it up to Express for free.

Since DHL/FedEx/UPS are corporations, Canada taxes them on the value of imports.  USPS is considered a government entity and Canadian residents are allowed to serve as their own 'shipping broker' (unique to every other country in the world - I think it's a good thing).  These two things combined with a shipment valued at $200 or less does not require 'Duties' to be charged according to Canadian / United States trade agreements.  As such, your effective cost on USPS shipments is much less.  In terms of strict shipping cost UPS and FedEx are much cheaper.  It's the duties that 'get ya' ;)

Other things to keep in mind...

1) We, like every other online merchant, get charged 3 - 4% of every dollar you spend on the product and shipping by PayPal / Visa / MC.  So immediately, subtract 3 - 4% from whatever we charge for shipping from what we actually receive.
2) It takes, on average, about 5 - 10 minutes to process the label / packing documents of an International order due to all of the extra paperwork and information that needs to be filled out - manually.  Compare this to about 20 - 30 seconds for a domestic order label which is almost entirely automated.
3) If we make a mistake on an order - it's rare, but it happens (we do have humans packing the boxes), a domestic order costs us about $16 - $20 in round-trip shipping to fix it.  With International shipments to Canada it costs us $50 - $65 (cost to ship another keyboard and pay to ship the other one back) to make it right.  When you start talking about Asia, Europe, and Australia it goes up to $70 - $100 round trip.
4) Administrative costs are exponentially higher for INT shipments.  We get questions from Domestic customers hours after an order is placed asking for ETAs and tracking information (before the truck can even arrive to scan the package and email it to them later that day).  Can you imagine how many emails we get from customers who have to wait 2 - 3 weeks for their order to arrive ;)  Keep in mind, we don't have any problem answering these emails, but, as a business, we have to consider how much everything costs us to do.

The bottom line... We want a better, cheaper solution for INT shipments, but it currently doesn't exist. It drives me nuts that sellers in China can ship worldwide for $10 on eBay.  

We've got the best we can offer (that is guaranteed to arrive) on the site, and as soon as a better alternative is available, we'll keep everyone posted!

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 00:00:10 »
Thanks for the info! :) When I finish convincing myself to buy the board, it'll be from you. :)

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 09:20:18 »
Quote from: RickyJ;616752
Thanks for the info! :) When I finish convincing myself to buy the board, it'll be from you. :)

Ha! Thanks :)  If you ever end up finding someone shipping keyboards or anything else from the US for cheap and it isn't 1st class mail, please let me know!

Maybe we can draw up a business plan to do it ourselves ;)

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 16:19:02 »
Just placed my order for a Race with Reds and green backlighting, and a WASD keypuller! :D

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 20:29:20 »
Quote from: RickyJ;617211
Just placed my order for a Race with Reds and green backlighting, and a WASD keypuller! :D

Excellent choice :)  We'll have it out tomorrow.

Offline Lunartuna

• Good bye money!
Re: Shipping costs to Canada?
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 08:06:16 »
Just ordered the Ducky Cherry Blacks, White LED, M edition for my GF. Hope it gets through customs nice and quick like my last board from you guys did.  :)
Shine 2 TKL - Choc Mini

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 14:34:14 »
@ShakeR

If I were to purchase two keyboards from you guys, would you suggest I order them separately to avoid duties to Toronto, Ontario, Canada?

Thanks!

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 14:44:36 »
@ShakeR

If I were to purchase two keyboards from you guys, would you suggest I order them separately to avoid duties to Toronto, Ontario, Canada?

Thanks!

Wow, that's a good question.  It's out of my league to be honest.  In  my experience, it's all still a crap-shoot in terms of what your effective 'duties' will be (if any).   If it were me, I would ship them together as the actually shipping cost will be much cheaper together.  Duties on the other hand --- I couldn't say. You may be able to research further and find out exactly. The $200 mark was given to me be a UPS INT rep about a year ago.  I'm not sure if anything has changed since then.

Offline Surnia

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 00:13:58 »
$200 is import to US, its TWENTY dollars to Canada. Anything above that CAN be processed for duties and taxes.

Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Black | Filco 104 MJ2 Ninja with MX Black

Offline Lunartuna

• Good bye money!
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 00:36:31 »
I have two keyboards from them in the last 2 months with no extra cost like duty.
Shine 2 TKL - Choc Mini

Offline Surnia

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 00:44:20 »
I have two keyboards from them in the last 2 months with no extra cost like duty.

"CAN", doesn't mean they'll hit them all. its luck of the draw above $20. I've had various packages over the years that exceed $120 in value that get hit, and sometimes a $30 gets hit.

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 13:05:17 »

"CAN", doesn't mean they'll hit them all. its luck of the draw above $20. I've had various packages over the years that exceed $120 in value that get hit, and sometimes a $30 gets hit.

As I said above, a crap-shoot... Very frustrating when trying to 'quote' effective costs outside the US.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:46:30 »
Ah okay, thanks for the information!

Offline shawn24

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 05:44:40 »
Here's my experience

KBT Pure  $106.5 from MechanicalKeyboards.com to Ottawa

Shipping Fee on the website approximately$28
Fee from Custom Staff approximately$8
Canada HST tax  approximately $14 (13% tax in total)

So the total amount for my keyboard is approximately 106+28+8+14=156 dollar

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 10:24:36 »
Here's my experience

Geesh... I guess we need to set up an office in Canada ;)

Offline Kabuks

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:06:59 »
I had a order valued at about $250 a month or 2 ago and had a $42 charge upon delivery. I understand that the government wants to collect taxes but the $8 customs fee for someone to print the bill and tape it to the box is rediculous imo.

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 14:26:38 »
I had a order valued at about $250 a month or 2 ago and had a $42 charge upon delivery. I understand that the government wants to collect taxes but the $8 customs fee for someone to print the bill and tape it to the box is rediculous imo.

I couldn't agree more. I think in 10 years as International Commerce continues to expand, these fees will begin to decrease.  (could be wishful thinking)

Offline Surnia

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 08:31:43 »
Here's my experience

Semi related-   i bought some knives and sharpening supplies for about $200 to be shipped from BC to Toronto. Ending cost with shipping and taxes brought it just about to $260. The canada post/usps border fee is tiny, and a Canadian office (we can dream xD) would do nothing other than offer tracking that works. The shipping prices honestly aren't much better domestically.

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 09:44:00 »
Here's my experience

Semi related-   i bought some knives and sharpening supplies for about $200 to be shipped from BC to Toronto. Ending cost with shipping and taxes brought it just about to $260. The canada post/usps border fee is tiny, and a Canadian office (we can dream xD) would do nothing other than offer tracking that works. The shipping prices honestly aren't much better domestically.

Wow, that's rough.  Thanks for the info.