Author Topic: IBM Model F AT  (Read 3565 times)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
IBM Model F AT
« on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 15:54:49 »
Since I'm not going to be bidding on this I figured I'd post it in here so others are aware of it.  IBM Model F AT...far superior to the Model M in terms of feel.  It's in really good condition too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330752536302?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1413
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
IBM Model F AT
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 17:27:49 »
That is a good find. So pretty.

I imagine the price will go up much higher by the time this is through.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
IBM Model F AT
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 17:44:22 »
Quote from: dorkvader;621853

Yup...someone will snipe it in the last 10 seconds guaranteed.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline TexasFlood

IBM Model F AT
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 17:55:17 »
Quote from: dorkvader;621853

Quote from: AKIMbO;621872
Yup...someone will snipe it in the last 10 seconds guaranteed.

Surely not, not on ebay! :wink:

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
IBM Model F AT
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 21:52:22 »
I was actually watching this auction myself. I'm probably going to throw in a bid... eventually ;)

Offline bazemk1979

IBM Model F AT
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 23:23:16 »
Wish you havent said anything Akimbo......
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline bazemk1979

IBM Model F AT
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 23:30:12 »
FYI Akimbo there was only 1 bid for days ont his keyboard and most likely was by some buddy of the seller, you posted here and look 8 bids already.... you are not helping at all...... and on top of it people are bidding and there are still 2 more days left. Once again sometimes is not so good to post good deals you destroy other people chances when it comes to bidding. This will not be a great find anymore if the auction ends at $200+ but you dont care cause you have 2 model F's right?

I somehow know you would of kept it really quiet if you didnt owned one right????????????????

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
IBM Model F AT
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 23:35:55 »
I think he was just trying to make others aware that a board was available, I doubt the intention was to drive up the price. Also, the price always goes up towards the end and we're in the final day on this one.

Offline bazemk1979

IBM Model F AT
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 23:44:43 »
wrong RIffRaff, the way the listing was posted highly unlikely lots of peeps would of found it, I know for fact 3 hrs a go there was only 1 bid that was there with days, now I open here see this thread and look to see 8 bids....... I know his intentions were not bad, ***but I know he wouldnt post here if he wanted it for himself.***

Automatically he created a bid of war or unintentially, thanks a lot Akimbo you are great guy. Watch this thing sells for over $200 thanks to you know who.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2012, 23:47:15 by bazemk1979 »

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
IBM Model F AT
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 23:51:30 »
Quote from: bazemk1979;622177
wrong RIffRaff, the way the listing was posted highly unlikely lots of peeps would of found it, I know for fact 3 hrs a go there was only 1 bid that was there with days, now I open here see this thread and look to see 8 bids....... I know his intentions were not bad, ***but I know he wouldnt post here if he wanted it for himself.***

Automatically he created a bid of war or unintentially, thanks a lot Akimbo you are great guy. Watch this thing sells for over $200 thanks to you know who.

Get over yourself.  I don't know if you have been watching model f at auctions on Ebay but they get bid up in the last day or two.  It isn't my listing so I haven't broken any rules.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline didjamatic

IBM Model F AT
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 23:52:16 »
@bazemk

I know how it feels to have something you're watching get posted on here but there's nothing wrong with linking great finds in a great finds forum.
It's still below market value and there will be others.  If it goes high early more snipers will pass on it, so it doesn't always mean the price is going sky high.
But that one is in great shape based on pics and curly cord condition so I wouldn't expect it to stay cheap.  There are enough people looking for these that it would have gone up whether it was posted here or not.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline bazemk1979

IBM Model F AT
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 23:58:37 »
Quote from: AKIMbO;622180
Get over yourself.  I don't know if you have been watching model f at auctions on Ebay but they get bid up in the last day or two.  It isn't my listing so I haven't broken any rules.

I see your point Akimbo and I'm sorry if I offended you in any way, tell me something but be honest about it, would you posted in great finds if you were looking to buy AT Model F?

Offline bazemk1979

IBM Model F AT
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 23:59:36 »
Quote from: didjamatic;622182
@bazemk

I know how it feels to have something you're watching get posted on here but there's nothing wrong with linking great finds in a great finds forum.
It's still below market value and there will be others.  If it goes high early more snipers will pass on it, so it doesn't always mean the price is going sky high.
But that one is in great shape based on pics and curly cord condition so I wouldn't expect it to stay cheap.  There are enough people looking for these that it would have gone up whether it was posted here or not.
It kind of sucks  watching over an item for almost a week and then this happens, oh well whats done its done.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 June 2012, 00:01:50 by bazemk1979 »

Offline didjamatic

IBM Model F AT
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 23:59:46 »
I wouldn't post if I was going for it because I would want to buy it.  If I wasn't buying then I would share it with others on the forum.  There's not a thing wrong with that.
If you're going to buy it, then why would you share the link?  that would make no sense.

It's absolutely fair.  High bidder always wins.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 June 2012, 00:02:12 by didjamatic »

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
IBM Model F AT
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 26 June 2012, 00:08:20 »
Quote from: bazemk1979;622186
I see your point Akimbo and I'm sorry if I offended you in any way, tell me something but be honest about it, would you posted in great finds if you were looking to buy AT Model F?

Obviously no.  

However, I wouldn't jump down someone's throat who posted an auction I was watching.  In fact, it's happened to me in the past and I got miffed but this subforum is meant to inform geekhackers about good deals.  An auction for an incredibly rare keyboard that is in good condition to boot falls within this subform's parameters.  

The fact that you have been wanting an IBM model F AT makes you no more entitled to one than anyone else. This keyboard auction will be inundated with snipers at the last ten seconds.  To think you will get a deal on this keyboard is asinine...it will surely hit the very high $100's if not the low $200's.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline bazemk1979

IBM Model F AT
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 26 June 2012, 00:09:06 »
watch this one sky rockets in price LOL. We got the hungry wolves on leash now :-)

Offline TexasFlood

IBM Model F AT
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 26 June 2012, 00:12:12 »
Quote from: didjamatic;622182
I know how it feels to have something you're watching get posted on here
No kidding. It stings the first time, and 2nd, and 3rd, hah.  Eventually you get used to it.  If our community can find it someone else can, paricularly those good at constructing ebay searches. I'd already found this one with a fairly basic search and was watching it.  It sucks but that's ebay for you

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
IBM Model F AT
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 26 June 2012, 00:18:19 »
Quote from: bazemk1979;622195
watch this one sky rockets in price LOL. We got the hungry wolves on leash now :-)

No one is on a leash. The last two auctions for F ATs were sniped by several different users in the last seconds.  There are still a few Ebay users who put in snipe  bids but didn't get a F AT.  Simple subtraction will tell you there are still snipers who want  F   ATs, thus if you want this board bid high and at the last few seconds. The wolves aren't on leashes they are just waiting in the brush until the last second.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline didjamatic

IBM Model F AT
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 26 June 2012, 00:37:56 »
Best switch ever made + usable modern layout + easily modifiable
This board has had a steady increase of interest for quite some time.
But you'll find one if you really want one.

« Last Edit: Tue, 26 June 2012, 00:52:53 by didjamatic »

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
IBM Model F AT
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 26 June 2012, 00:52:36 »
The model F's are all amazing boards.

Offline didjamatic

IBM Model F AT
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 26 June 2012, 00:57:25 »
The fastest speed I ever hit was on a Model F AT.  The only other that I could get close with was believe it or not a Topre (87u).  But the Model F is by far the most accurate, fast and perfect switch ever made in my opinion.  You just need to do the big backspace mod and consider lightening the spacebar spring.  Oh, and be in an environment where the noise won't bother anyone.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
IBM Model F AT
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 26 June 2012, 01:15:03 »
Quote from: AKIMbO;622194
The fact that you have been wanting an IBM model F AT makes you no more entitled to one than anyone else. This keyboard auction will be inundated with snipers at the last ten seconds.  To think you will get a deal on this keyboard is asinine...it will surely hit the very high $100's if not the low $200's.

I'd been after an F for some time, so I watched many of the ebay auctions for them. Most weren't posted here, and all of them were bid up at the very end.

Still, with some perseverance, and a lot of luck, I managed to get a 122-key F from January 1984 for only $35: Well within my budget. It was posted here on GH, actually.

Much as I want an F AT (on an unsaver, drool!), I don't think I'd be able to afford one. My time will come, though.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
IBM Model F AT
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 26 June 2012, 02:42:06 »
I bought a Model F AT for $100 plus shipping.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
IBM Model F AT
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 26 June 2012, 02:46:28 »
yep, these are beautiful boards, and from those pics, an excellent sample. textbook great find.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: IBM Model F AT
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 20 July 2012, 20:07:47 »
I have written this same editorial many times, but here it goes again:

Sniping is the only way to succeed on ebay. It costs VERY little, and ensures the best shot at an item at the best price.

Early and/or high bids just drive the price and emotions up. Bidding on anything through the direct ebay channel before the last 30 seconds is plain stupid.

Decide what you would realistically be willing to pay for an item, and use Auction Sniper to make your proxy bid for you.

It is not immoral, it is not "cheating" because that is what every other serious buyer already does on his own.

If you are crying in your beer after losing to a snipe you are a Luddite.

PS - I am a seller at least as much as I am a buyer - don't make the mistake of fabricating artificial morals - be straight and honest and play the game by the same rules everybody else is following.
“This isn’t the same Trump that got elected in 2016, he’s worse.”
“Something snapped in this guy — for real — when he lost in 2020,” Biden said, suggesting the former president was “unhinged” and was the driving force behind a mob of his supporters overrunning the US Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021."
“He can’t accept the fact that he lost, it’s literally driving him crazy,” Biden said.
He added that the former president “wants to terminate the Constitution” and “says if he loses there will be a bloodbath in America.”
“What kind of man is this?”  Biden asked. — June 3, 2024

Offline 486

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 18:27:16 »
Sniping is the only way to succeed on ebay. It costs VERY little, and ensures the best shot at an item at the best price.
+1
I nealy got a Model F AT on Ebay Aus for $150 by sniping but in the rush of the moment I accidentally pressed $140 instead of $160 (the total I was willing to pay). i lost the item by a few dollars, but I l got a F AT on taobao for the same price.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 01 August 2012, 16:29:31 »
Shoot, I got my NIB chicony with monterey blues because of a post just like this. Only, somehow, I was the only one who decided to bid and I got it for like $30. I never would have seen that listing otherwise, because I had given up looking for them by then. Point is, these can be important. If they go the way the one in this thread is going rather than the one I brought up, then it just happens to be more important to the seller sometimes.

Maybe I should try my F AT again, I wasn't terribly impressed with it when I first got it.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)