Author Topic: Mechanical keyboard with rubber-matthe keycaps and where can i buy those?  (Read 16144 times)

Offline czcibor

Pretty much as the title says. I would like to have rubber - mat keycaps and would like to know where could i buy those and the keyboard with those onboard.

Been searching ebay and other stuff. Literally ONLY mechanical keyboard with such keycaps is razer blackwidow. I would rather like the replacement keycaps for cherry mx swicthes...

rubber-mat -> i want to pretty much same material as it is on SS Xai and SS Kinzu mices.

thanks for help
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 July 2012, 15:46:20 by czcibor »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
You should be able to edit the title in the "modify" post editor.

Anyway, I'm unfamilliar with mice, but if you mean like a rubberized coating on the kecaps, that does exist. There is an "APC" branded ALPS keyboard that has rubber on the WASD and arrow keys. Also, on the Corsair K60 and K90 keyboards, they come with rubberized keys for (I believe) WASD and 1-6. I don't believe I know of a place to get an entire board of them.

Other options: Spray-coat them yourself. I am sure there are lots of spray-coating products out there, though I don't know any specifics, I imagine they'd be good at bonding to plastic.

Offline czcibor

Thank you for you reply :)

I think i was wrong. Tmrw i am going to check blackwidow keycaps of it coz i am not any more sure that thoose are the one that i ma looking for.

Definitly i am looking for keycaps with this coating - seems that its kinda rubber:

corsair 90
http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/reviews/input_devices/K90/Corsair_K90_Lights.jpg

http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/reviews/input_devices/K90/Corsair_K90_Rest.jpg

kbt pure
http://ohmykb.com/kbt/37-kbt-pure-60.html

AND for the place where i can buy them without keyboard, just pure keycaps

ps this could be moved to keycapses, sorry for choosing wrong subforum
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 July 2012, 18:45:18 by czcibor »

Offline 9-bit

• Looking for blank white keycaps
Just to make it easier on everyone, the word you are looking for is matte :D

Offline SaiZn

The KBT Pure keycaps are fairly smooth so I don't think they are what you're looking for.

Offline czcibor

Either way the corsair keycapses are.

Offline quake4mhg

I've been looking for the same thing for few months  ;D

Obviously KBT Pure/Race keycaps are not grip at all.
Sadly I don't have any connections from Korea. Those orange rubber looks awesome.
I post an wanted ad in my local area few months ago, offer $20.00 only for the k60 rubber keys, but no reply.
I like the texture of the CM rapidfire wasd keys (brought from FusRoDah) and KBC pbt.
I also try put a rubber sticker on keycaps. Eventually, it moves and becomes sticky. But put on a pbt with super glue is better.
Recently using WASD textured keycaps. I guess they could last longer.
Let's keep looking for our grippy cherry mx keycaps  ;)

I know what you mean the coating like, on logitech G510 keyborad. But I don't think it's available ...

« Last Edit: Tue, 24 July 2012, 02:07:46 by quake4mhg »

Offline czcibor

Which keys are better the Quick Rapid Fire or the keys ordered from WASD?
Because i dont ahve Quick Rapid Fire, I asked on the Coller Master Forums and they said that they did their keycapses from "the keycaps are regular plastic material that goes on most keyboard". On the other hand Quick rapid Fire has in its specs "Rubber coated Keyboard surface" and I am just kinda confused...
I also read a lots of reviews of CM Storm keyboard and ppl were saying that they like better the keys from WASD so i started considering that maybe the Qrucik Rapid fire arent mathe. What is your opinion?

edit oh the you mean the KBC PBT Poker keycapses?
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 July 2012, 03:07:33 by czcibor »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Which keys are better the Quick Rapid Fire or the keys ordered from WASD?
Because i dont ahve Quick Rapid Fire, I asked on the Coller Master Forums and they said that they did their keycapses from "the keycaps are regular plastic material that goes on most keyboard". On the other hand Quick rapid Fire has in its specs "Rubber coated Keyboard surface" and I am just kinda confused...
I also read a lots of reviews of CM Storm keyboard and ppl were saying that they like better the keys from WASD so i started considering that maybe the Qrucik Rapid fire arent mathe. What is your opinion?

edit oh the you mean the KBC PBT Poker keycapses?
The keyboard body itself has a rubberized coating, but the keycaps are nothing special ABS.

I like the texture of PBT, as it's more "rough" under my fingers. Some ABS is this way as well.

Offline quake4mhg

For now, I like my own mod "rubber sticker on PBT". But for sure WASD textured key would last longer.
When CM rapidfire wasd compares to KBC PBT? KBC PBT wins. As dorkvader said they're just ABS with coating, it grips a little little bit better than normal ABS that's all.

"rubber sticker on PBT" > WASD textured key > KBC PBT > CM rapidfire wasd > KBT Pure/Race keys

Offline stuffstuff

Re: Mechanical keyboard with rubber-matthe keycaps and where can i buy those?
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 09 November 2012, 17:26:34 »
I know this is a little late, but what about octopus keycaps?

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 09 November 2012, 17:30:26 »
isn't the Gigabyte keyboard rubberized?
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Octane

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 10:06:41 »
I have been looking for something similar. Has anyone tried a plasti-dip coating or something similar? It wouldn't have the legend, but I tend to destroy the W, A, S, and D anyway.
I might give it a try on some old keys to see how it works out.

Offline Octane

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 10:12:32 »
While browsing Newegg I found these:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826991094

I'm not sure what profile they are - they look pretty short, but might be something you are interested in. Note that this is the Canadian site but I am sure the American site has them as well.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 16:17:01 »
Problem #1: The keys are way too short.  So they are not compatible with my Ergonomic Crashpads.

Problem #2: The keys are labeled.  I was going to buy 13 of this product and replace every key on my keyboard, to see if it makes typing feel softer.  But the keys have the wrong labels on them so its just not going to work out.

If the keys were blank then I could stick a label sticker on the side and everything would be great for my whole keyboard.

I guess they don't want my money.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)