Author Topic: The Official "Recommend me a Keyboard?!?" Thread  (Read 9767 times)

fartq

The Official "Recommend me a Keyboard?!?" Thread
« on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 18:35:48 »
Wondering which keyboard to get? WHY ARE THERE SO MANY CHOICES!?!?! I WANT MY MOMMY

Anyway, if you're wondering, post in here. Someone with an opinion will be by shortly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OUR DECISION FLOWCHART SO FAR:

Code: [Select]
          / ̄ヽ
         /⌒⌒⌒ヽ/|
       ⊂| ◎     ∥ WHICH KEYBOARD?!?!
         ヽ  ゚∀゚丿\|
          __ 〃ヽ〈_
      γ´⌒´--ヾvーヽ⌒ヽ  
     /⌒  ィ    `i´  ); `ヽ
    /    ノ^ 、___¥__人  |
    !  ,,,ノ爻\_ _人 ノr;^ >  ) 
   (   <_ \ヘ、,, __,+、__rノ/  / 
    ヽ_  \ )ゝ、__,+、_ア〃 /
      ヽ、___ ヽ.=┬─┬〈  ソ
        〈J .〉、| 本 |, |ヽ-´ 
        /""  | 醸 |: |  
        レ   :|: 造 | リ 
        /   ノ|__| |  
        | ,,  ソ  ヽ  )  
       .,ゝ   )  イ ヽ ノ  
       y `レl   〈´  リ  
       /   ノ   |   |
       l  /    l;;  |
       〉 〈      〉  | 
      /  ::|    (_ヽ \、
     (。mnノ      `ヽnm

SOME GEMS

Heavy typer/Mostly plays games/Strong hands: Black
Heavy typer/Mostly plays games/Weak hands: Blue (if you pick your fingers completely off the keys before pressing again)
Heavy typer/Mostly types/Strong hands: Buckling Spring, Clear
Mostly types: Blue
Light typer/Mostly games : Red, Blue (if you pick your fingers completely off the keys before pressing again)
Light typer/Mostly types/Noise sensitive: Brown
50-50% Typing-Gaming: Blue (if you pick your fingers completely off the keys before pressing again), Brown (noise sensitive)
credit to pointyfox

I don't think people consider the layouts of keyboards enough. Switches tend to be the main topic of conversation in these threads. Personally I think that there are some really cool layouts on the market that really make or break keyboard functionality depending on what the board is being used for.
credit to whiskerbox
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 July 2012, 10:21:42 by mkawa_ »

Offline 486

Re: The Official "Recommend me a Keyboard?!?" Thread
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 18:43:16 »
We need the Keyboard Oracle over here.
The Keyboard Oracle wrote:
The Keyboard Oracle has decided: The girl in the middle.
OMG. You read my mind.

You really ARE an Oracle!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 18:51:02 »
the keyboard oracle implies that there is one true keyboard for everyone. in fact, the truth is quite a bit messier than that ;)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 19:01:21 »
There has to be at least 4 new posts like this a day, and each post is like half a page without a TL;DR. I recommend a general flowchart which will cover most requirements people want.
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 19:04:11 »
* -> ???

^^ this is the general flowchart

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 21:26:46 »
Tell me if I'm wrong but the problem is that 85% of the time the answer is "filco" or "ducky" ...  concurence is quite ok in keyboard, but I feel like we always come back on the same keyboards at final :(

Offline Rafen

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 22 July 2012, 14:53:41 »
Tell me if I'm wrong but the problem is that 85% of the time the answer is "filco" or "ducky" ...  concurence is quite ok in keyboard, but I feel like we always come back on the same keyboards at final :(

I think now the market has become a lot larger than it was before so there are so many different keyboards that are on par with Filco and Ducky. The competition between companies has got so great that companies like Cooler Master have released boards that are built very well and are cheaper than some of the other boards on the market. You also can't forget about WASD keyboards where you can not only get a great keyboard but with the keys customized the way that you want them. The list goes on and on.

So I don't think that Filco and Ducky will be the answer to most questions asked anymore.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 22 July 2012, 14:58:47 »
Well basically whenever I answer recommendation questions, it depends on how much information I'm given. If it's just "recommend me a board with x switches" I'll probably just say go with Filco. If they ask for specific features, give me a budget, where they're located, and even pick out a few boards they think they'll like, then I can give a more in depth answer that isn't always going to be Filco/Ducky. There needs to be a guideline for recommendation requests.
I love Elzy

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 22 July 2012, 15:21:35 »
Well ... I think I might have been wrong ^^ so I also agree on the fact that there must be a guide or something helping new person/us to pick a new keyboard, if I can help, it will be a pleasure!

Offline Shirohane

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 13:26:10 »
I've actually considered asking for a recommendation but given the sheer number that get posted on this board, I never got around to it. (Figured that it would not be read.)

So a flowchart or some kind of guide to help newbies figure out what their first board could be would be quite appreciated.

Also, while I'm at it, here is my "recommend me a keyboard" post:
I'm a programmer but I also game occasionally. When I do game, I mostly play MMORPGs (so F1 keys are needed) and FPS other times.

I would prefer a full keyboard (as opposed to a TKL) as I've gotten quite used to the number pad.

I live in Canada and I would like a keyboard under 120$ if possible. The DK-1008 seemed quite attractive due to its price point but I was wondering if it was a case of "you get what you pay for".

Other keyboards that I've looked at were the Rosewill Cherry Brown, the CM Storm Trigger, the Das Keyboard and the QUMAX Xarmor U9.

I've mostly focused on looking at Cherry MX Brown switches because I was under the impression that they would be the most suitable for my needs but switch recommendations would also be appreciated.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 July 2012, 13:37:43 by Shirohane »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 17:56:21 »
well, for the most part there aren't huge differences between the two or three major chinese OEMs. they use similar keys, all use cherry switches, and the minor differences in plate, pcb and controller design are largely noise. yes, you generally can't go wrong with a filco; they're good durable keyboards that feel very solid and are highly compatible with accessory keysets.

as for switches, you really just need to try them for yourself. the easiest way to do this is to buy a keyboard and use it for a while. this sounds counter-intuitive to the average internet shopper, but the fact is typing is a highly habitual, personal thing that depends on individual sensitivities. the beauty of keyboards is that they are the primary tactile interface to the computer (you know, the thing most of us are tied to for 18 hours a day ;), and yet there are many little variations on the computer keyboard out there.

personally, i've found that there's no one perfect switch for me, and i don't even have a highly variable workload. i spend about 99% of my time typing, either hacking or what have you. however, i am a very emphatic typer, and i have a very heavy keypress (but not too heavy!). so, my favorite switches are cherry greens, fresh buckling springs, topre 55g, and sometimes i actually enjoy my mbp's scissors just because i can bash the crap out of them. so, i rotate between those (and others! i also like plate and pcb mounted blues sometimes, and slightly worn buckling springs and...).

so for you? who knows, it's certainly hard to go completely wrong with cherry blue and brown, but i bet you would find something to like about buckling spring and some weight of topre as well. so, personally i don't think a flowchart would really help much. but, it would be nice to build up a list of what's easily available on the market right now, which, paired with bringing up a wiki again (note #1 or 2 on the feature roadmap).

the point of recommend me a keyboard threads isn't actually to recommend people a keyboard, but to entice them into the awesome world of customizable, mechanically idiosyncratic keyboards :D
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 July 2012, 17:59:43 by mkawa »

Offline touchtype

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 19:32:19 »
Flowchart would be very appreciated.

Offline Shirohane

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 20:37:34 »
so for you? who knows, it's certainly hard to go completely wrong with cherry blue and brown, but i bet you would find something to like about buckling spring and some weight of topre as well. so, personally i don't think a flowchart would really help much. but, it would be nice to build up a list of what's easily available on the market right now, which, paired with bringing up a wiki again (note #1 or 2 on the feature roadmap).

the point of recommend me a keyboard threads isn't actually to recommend people a keyboard, but to entice them into the awesome world of customizable, mechanically idiosyncratic keyboards :D
I see... so to start off would you recommend I start with a new Cherry Browns (probably a Ducky, an XArmor or a CM QF Pro), a new Ducky Green Alps or try an IBM Model M from the classified?
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 July 2012, 21:14:52 by Shirohane »

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 22:59:37 »
Heavy typer/Mostly plays games/Weak hands: Blue (if you pick your fingers completely off the keys before pressing again)
Light typer/Mostly games : Red, Blue (if you pick your fingers completely off the keys before pressing again)
50-50% Typing-Gaming: Blue (if you pick your fingers completely off the keys before pressing again), Brown (noise sensitive)

Offline Edwin

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 00:28:34 »
I'm hoping you guys can help me find a keyboard.

I do play games but not as much as my PC is aging. My Steam profile has a list of games I play. This will be mostly for work until I can build another gaming PC in the future. I'm in the Seattle area and looking for something less than $100 but if I find the right one, I'll pay for it.

*Mechnical.
*Flat (not shiny) plastic.
*Ergonomic.
*Media keys a plus for volume control.
*Backlit so I can see the keys in the dark.
*Numpad a plus but not necessary.

I've looked at the Kinesis Advantage and the TrulyErgo but they just seem too weird for me. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 July 2012, 00:50:03 by Edwin »

Offline Sardonyx

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 09:56:16 »
I'm hoping to buy my a new keyboard but I've never bought mechanical keyboards before.
In reference to this

I am interested in a red switches.
So are there any recommendations for a "introductory" keyboard with:
-Mechanical (red) switches
-Dull plastic
-Backlit would be nice but not necessary

Oh and the games I play are SC2 and MOBA's (LoL, Dota2, Smite,etc...)

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 11:55:08 »
QuickFire Rapid with red switches.  Doesn't have backlighting, but has high build quality.  It is a little overpriced right now at $89 due to all the hype red switches have been recently getting.

Offline Sardonyx

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 13:40:20 »
QuickFire Rapid with red switches.  Doesn't have backlighting, but has high build quality.  It is a little overpriced right now at $89 due to all the hype red switches have been recently getting.
Thanks!
:D

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 16:23:52 »
Wondering which keyboard to get?

The keyboard oracle implies that there is one true keyboard for everyone. In fact, the truth is quite a bit messier than that ;)

What, two mkawa's? This isn't Highlander...

There can be only one.

Fight!

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 16:28:20 »
We should try to make a spreadsheet. :)

Hm..no that's not a good representation, is it?

I agree however that there are a ton of questions like this every day, though sometimes I suppose people just want to talk.
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline Tristor

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 17:13:32 »
I'm in a bit of a pickle.   I can't seem to find the keyboard I truly want, although there are many that are close but no cigar.  Currently, I have several keyboards, several of which I quite enjoy, but I'm looking to move onto something more specific to my needs.  Here's what I'm looking for:

Topres Keyswitches
PBT keycaps, letters cut through for backlighting
Individually LED backlit in contrast to the keycap color (prefer black keycaps with blue or green backlights)
Supports NKRO over USB

I really like the Deck Legend, but it uses Cherry MX Black or Brown switches, and I'm not really digging that.  I own several different mechanical keyboards and I've tried quite a few more and the closest to the right "feel" that I've found is a friend's Topres Realforce 103UB 55G, but it's not backlit. 

Any suggestions?  Or is there anybody out there that does full-custom boards for a reasonable price (less than $350)?
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 July 2012, 17:15:39 by Tristor »

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 17:21:04 »
I'm afraid you're asking too much. You might be able to get backlighting modded into a Topre but getting PBT caps to support that seems impossible to me. There is just nobody making them and you can't make them yourself. :)
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline Tristor

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 17:55:44 »
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of.  I guess if I don't go full custom, the Deck Legend is the best bet for me although I'll have Cherry MX Black switches.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 22:53:06 »
I'm in a bit of a pickle.   I can't seem to find the keyboard I truly want, although there are many that are close but no cigar.  Currently, I have several keyboards, several of which I quite enjoy, but I'm looking to move onto something more specific to my needs.  Here's what I'm looking for:

Topres Keyswitches
PBT keycaps, letters cut through for backlighting
Individually LED backlit in contrast to the keycap color (prefer black keycaps with blue or green backlights)
Supports NKRO over USB

I really like the Deck Legend, but it uses Cherry MX Black or Brown switches, and I'm not really digging that.  I own several different mechanical keyboards and I've tried quite a few more and the closest to the right "feel" that I've found is a friend's Topres Realforce 103UB 55G, but it's not backlit. 

Any suggestions?  Or is there anybody out there that does full-custom boards for a reasonable price (less than $350)?

You might want to look at the ducky dragon DK-9087.

You get everything on your list minus the Topre switches. Just need to decide on your preferred switch type and hope you can find a re-seller as this is a limited release.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 22:58:00 »
I think people need to spend some time reviewing the Cherry switch wiki. What was that? It's still not available?

Try this

Offline whiskerBox

The Official "Recommend me a Keyboard?!?" Thread
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 02:20:56 »
I don't think people consider the layouts of keyboards enough. Switches tend to be the main topic of conversation in these threads. Personally I think that there are some really cool layouts on the market that really make or break keyboard functionality depending on what the board is being used for.
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 05:02:39 »
I totally agree. I think layout is super important and totally neglected here. But it makes sense because many people here are just interested in modding for style and having a nice, solid keyboard.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 22:41:14 »
I'm looking for a white TKL, preferably with a backlight, that has brown Cherry MX switches. I know of the usual suspects (Leopold, Filco), but am looking for other brands besides those two. Throw some names at me! I have no exposure to the oriental brands :)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 22:41:50 »
'oriental' what is this 1950?

get a filco
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Sinzz

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 23:03:24 »
well, since my other thread wasn't getting me much answers, I guess I can try here.

simplified version.
KBT RACE, Nopppoo Choc Mini, and Key Cool 84 are thrown into a pit. What are the pros and cons and what should I choose to be my next mechanical keyboard.

I've heard problems with the KBT RACE's LEDs and heard nothing about KC 84.

• really would like white backlit (because i think having it behind colored keycaps look nice, especially rainbow ones.. ranbowpuke.jpg ) or white keys
  • going to get Blue switches
  • will customize with keycaps
Keycool 84 MX Blue | Pure Pro | HHKB Pro 2