Author Topic: IBM Model M USB  (Read 12386 times)

Offline shadowing

IBM Model M USB
« on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 21:00:46 »
I'm pretty sure someone here has a Model M, but I was wondering what kind of solutions people have found for converting the Model M's SDL to USB. I personally have found a random cable on Ebay, but it seems to work on and off.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
Re: IBM Model M USB
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 21:30:44 »
Is that the cable that goes straight from SDL to USB? That looked quite promising when it came out :(

There's a converter known as a blue cube that works well with a Model M, see here. (Note that the Belkin adapter mentioned as good actually has three or more versions, only one of which is good, so it's quite hard to find the right one!)

Offline 486

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 21:48:21 »
I has a USB Model M.
I had to mod it though.
Modding is a lot better than an adapter. And it's not to hard if you know what to do.

I was about to finish my how to on USb Model M's but I accidentally closed the tab!!! >:(
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 December 2014, 05:17:47 by 486 »

Offline shadowing

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 22:30:26 »
Soarer: Yeah, I'm referring to the SDL to USB cable. I actually bought one off of E-bay, but it works for a period then I have to kind of wiggle the SDL end to get it to re-register. I'm not sure if it's a cable issue or a keyboard issue, but considering how my other cable that goes through the whole SDL to PS/2 to USB works, it's probably the cable :(

486: Is that mod pretty clean? That's my main primary concern.

Offline 486

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 22:40:44 »
It works practically. I could make it neater (bundling the cables) but the flexibility is compromised.
If I could improve the way the USB connector is attached to the plastic part, then it would be neater.
It is inside the case. You can't see it from the outside.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 22 July 2012, 08:11:55 »
That's a shame about the cable, but it appears to be a fault in the assembly of the SDL plug, rather than a fault in the design (and electronic part) of the cable. It would be worth trying to RMA it, if possible.

If you're thinking about DIY, then check out my converter code that runs on a Teensy - you could build it as an external converter, or build it inside the case, as you wish :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 22 July 2012, 09:39:47 »
If you are talking about these cables made by orihalcon

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270955553909?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

then you need to contact him and ask for a replacement, he seems to be a straight up dude.

I have 2 of them and they work great. He made dozens of them, and nobody is perfect.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline shadowing

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 00:14:24 »
It's one of those made by orihalcon. I actually just talked to him about a replacement cable. I hope that solves the problem.

Speaking of which, have people here done the bolt mod? I think mine is needing one since I hear all those rivets.

Offline touchtype

« Last Edit: Mon, 23 July 2012, 01:12:59 by touchtype »

fartq

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 01:37:50 »
my cable from orihalcon is quite nice and works perfectly. hopefully he can work your situation out.

Offline 486

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 01:54:36 »
If you're in the US, have a look at Mcmaster Carr
If you're in the UK, i think someone said they had the bolts/nuts at B&Q. Could be wrong though.
If you're in Australia, go Boltmasters. I ordered my bolts/nuts from there and they are perfect.

Offline shadowing

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 04:07:16 »
Sweet! Thanks for the links guys! Time to do some modding (and cleaning).

On a side note, does anyone know if a Esc keycap is even sold anymore? I was Googling around, and there's a definite dearth of those.

Offline 486

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 05:56:12 »

On a side note, does anyone know if a Esc keycap is even sold anymore? I was Googling around, and there's a definite dearth of those.
Dearth?!? you sure you don't mean Darth?

Jokes Aside, go to http://pckeyboard.com/page/Buttons/PRK.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 08:36:00 »

You can order extra keycaps individually from unicomp. I replaced three or four on my old model M. They were print screen, delete, left arrow, etc. While I was ordering, I got a red escape key as well. The font and colours, and the position of the font are just a little off, but it's acceptable for me.

I ordered off the old website (with old pricing) but I believe this is the link on their new one.
http://pckeyboard.com/page/Buttons/PRK

You can call them and ask, I do believe.