Author Topic: Repainting a worn out spacebar?  (Read 3934 times)

Offline mediocrechris

• Averageness, exemplified.
Repainting a worn out spacebar?
« on: Sun, 22 July 2012, 03:16:12 »
So, the spacebar of my Ducky Shine is already showing the tell-tale signs of wear. That little spot that my thumb always hits is starting to fade and I can just barely see the LED starting to show through. Seeing as how I'm using a Ducky Shine, and seeing as how I do not want to replace the spacebar because I have a slight man-crush on the Ducky logo, I am weighing my options to fix the keycap.  Is there a way to repaint a fading keycap to make it look more like new again without it looking like some kid just globbed a bunch of paint on there? If painting is not an option, and replacing the spacebar with anyting other than another official Ducky Shining spacebar is completely out of the question, is there some other method someone know about to fix this problem before it gets any worse?

Or, maybe you can tell me where I can order an official Ducky Shining replacement spacebar?
"Keyboards are good, Commies are bad." Joe McCarthy

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Re: Repainting a worn out spacebar?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 July 2012, 05:14:18 »
The shine is caused by the texture on the surface being worn off. You could paint it but it probably wont like the rest of the set. Also getting a smooth finish may be hard with just a paint brush.

You could get a replacement from WASD or SP but it wont match 100%.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline touchtype

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 12:41:47 »
sandpaper

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 15:53:00 »
Use black spray paint. I have not tried it, but I would look for Krylon Fusion, because it is made to adhere well to plastics.
Mask off the good parts with masking tape, but leave some space around the damaged area. Roughen up the surface with sandpaper (320 < 800 grit) before painting.

The trick is not not leave sharp edges after the masking tape. One way to diffuse the edges is to rig a piece of cardboard with a hole in it suspended above the area to be sprayed and spray over the hole. The hole should be as large as the damaged area.

However, you might still not get the same finish as was originally on the key. Not all black paint is perfectly black, there is a range from matte to glossy finish and it could be more or less grainy.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 July 2012, 15:55:49 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 16:00:27 »
I HIGHLY suggest you DO NOT paint ANY part of your keyboard. I learned that the hard way. No matter how well you paint it, now matter how good the paint it, is will always bee slightly sticky. even if its not, your hand will rub on it and it will eventually get tacky and start to rub up. I painted me case and the spot were I rest my thumb when gaming wore off in weeks.
PLEASE dont paint your spacebar! If you want I will send you one for free, no joke! send me your address! xD

Offline theultrazord

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 16:33:32 »
So I've seen stuff about people using plasti dip on their keyboard cases but I'm not sure about keys. I'd go with the suggestion of getting a replacement from WASD keyboards but it might be fun to try a DIY project.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1180260/plasti-dipd-case

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 21:19:13 »
I HIGHLY suggest you DO NOT paint ANY part of your keyboard. I learned that the hard way. No matter how well you paint it, now matter how good the paint it, is will always bee slightly sticky. even if its not, your hand will rub on it and it will eventually get tacky and start to rub up. I painted me case and the spot were I rest my thumb when gaming wore off in weeks.
PLEASE dont paint your spacebar! If you want I will send you one for free, no joke! send me your address! xD
Painting seems to work well for niqmods. Perhaps it's just the type of paint used. Also, there's always clearcoat.