Author Topic: IBM Model F AT (PC/AT)  (Read 5257 times)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
IBM Model F AT (PC/AT)
« on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 16:18:19 »
Found this keyboard perusing ebay.  It was listed previously and the reserve was not met.  I believe the bidding only got to around $100ish...I blame the Geekhack outage  :P

Anyways 4 days left on the auction and no bids as of yet. 
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: IBM Model F AT (PC/AT)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 17:06:49 »
I don't know whether to be happy or sad to know that the going rate for these is a C-note.

I only have one (after buying and selling several (~4) in that range, or higher, about a year ago and losing at least a C-note in the process) which is my "keeper" in deep storage.

These are nice boards, and with an easy mod to get the Enter/\|/Backspace area straightened out, quite useable on modern gear.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 July 2012, 17:08:31 by fohat.digs »
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline bootstrap

• epiguru.com - My Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 04:36:03 »
As AKIMbO said, this is a relisted item. The reserve price was not tested enough for us to find out what it was. Apparently, setting a reserve turned away some potential buyers, judging by recent prices on eBay ($270 for this F AT, and $217.50 for this F AT, both of which had no reserves) and the highest bid for the previous auction was only $62.89.
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 July 2012, 04:38:05 by bootstrap »
The Best WordPress Theme Ever | Kinesis Contoured Model 100 | IBM Model F 1387033 "Space Unsaver" | CH Products DT225 Trackball x 2

Offline 486

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 06:25:41 »
As AKIMbO said, this is a relisted item. The reserve price was not tested enough for us to find out what it was. Apparently, setting a reserve turned away some potential buyers, judging by recent prices on eBay ($270 for this F AT, and $217.50 for this F AT, both of which had no reserves) and the highest bid for the previous auction was only $62.89.
Yep. They've gone up ten fold in the past ten years. Imagine what they will be worth in 2020!
I'm lucky just to have one for the price I paid. Now I want another! Hopefully a US one this time.
XT's are generally less because
No Protocol compatiblity with At/PS2/USB without modding.
No Lock LED's
Harder to disassemble, reassemble but no messy deteriorating foam!
Even worse layout than AT.

If you had to choose between an F AT and a M SSK, choose the F AT because M SSK are only expensive because the mouse can be closer to the letter rows on the keyboard.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 06:36:52 »
Yep. They've gone up ten fold in the past ten years. Imagine what they will be worth in 2020!
I'm lucky just to have one for the price I paid. Now I want another! Hopefully a US one this time.
No Lock LED's

If you had to choose between an F AT and a M SSK, choose the F AT because M SSK are only expensive because the mouse can be closer to the letter rows on the keyboard.

I find the XTs to be a million times easier to breakdown/disassemble than ATs.  The XTs don't use those plastic hook connections on the palm rest area of the keyboard like the ATs do.  I'm still pulling for wcass to figure out the XTs PCB/capacitance so we can enjoy a modern XT layout.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 10:10:24 »
My most feared moment when "preparing" an F AT is taking that damned case apart. Not only is the design stupid and bad, the plastic is quite brittle (at least in the 4-5 I have done).

And over half of the F-122s I have bought have had broken cases somewhere (usually the bottom corners where there is the least material).

These can be bolt-modded (I have only done it on F-122s) to avoid messing with the sliding force-fit, and new foam mats can easily be fabricated with a 5/8" hole punch.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 10:37:13 »
My most feared moment when "preparing" an F AT is taking that damned case apart. Not only is the design stupid and bad, the plastic is quite brittle (at least in the 4-5 I have done).

And over half of the F-122s I have bought have had broken cases somewhere (usually the bottom corners where there is the least material).

These can be bolt-modded (I have only done it on F-122s) to avoid messing with the sliding force-fit, and new foam mats can easily be fabricated with a 5/8" hole punch.

Lol...yes that dreaded creaking noise as you separate the two casings.  *shiver*
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 15:29:24 »
I tried to ask them (twice) what the reserve is on this. I agree these boards are worth quite a bit, and everyone wants to get top dollar for their stuff but they woudn't even tell me what they were hoping to get. Also, this AT doesn't appear to be in very good shape. Probably going to pass on this one again.

Offline 486

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 16:06:51 »
No Lock LED's

I find the XTs to be a million times easier to breakdown/disassemble than ATs.  The XTs don't use those plastic hook connections on the palm rest area of the keyboard like the ATs do.  I'm still pulling for wcass to figure out the XTs PCB/capacitance so we can enjoy a modern XT layout.
Never owned a F XT so I wouldn't know. I was just assuming this from a keyboard dissassmbly video I saw on youtube.
Missed out last time there was a boxed XT in Aus. Only went for $71 so it's not worth buying on from the US.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 16:27:23 »
Not a bad price for a boxed XT.

The XT's I usually pick up are around $30-50. Cheapest was $25, but that was a doner board.

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 16:40:29 »
Damn, I'd love to have another XT. Maybe it's just worn out but it feels definitely nicer than my AT.
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline 486

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 18:51:57 »
Damn, I'd love to have another XT. Maybe it's just worn out but it feels definitely nicer than my AT.
Icarium, How many buckling spring keyboards do you have?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 00:37:12 »

The XT's I usually pick up are around $30-50. Cheapest was $25, but that was a doner board.
My XT came with box, and was only $30. I threw away the box, though.

Really, I hope Wcass can get the XTant project made, as it will be awesome! I bought my XT only for that reason, though I may end up trying to use it once I can get my phantom/teeny's in.

I'd really like an AT, but given how easy it should be to get a 122 -key F working, I think I'd rather save the money and have that.

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 05:13:39 »
Icarium, How many buckling spring keyboards do you have?
I have a couple of normal Model Ms, two with 122 key, one SSK and a XT and AT model F.
I would not buy the SSK again. Really not worth the premium price one pays for it.
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 05:14:18 »

My XT came with box, and was only $30. I threw away the box, though.

Really, I hope Wcass can get the XTant project made, as it will be awesome! I bought my XT only for that reason, though I may end up trying to use it once I can get my phantom/teeny's in.

I'd really like an AT, but given how easy it should be to get a 122 -key F working, I think I'd rather save the money and have that.
Do you know how hard it is to find a 122 key F and how expensive they are?

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 14:54:19 »
I bought a 122 key model F for $25. But it's in bad shape and it had the cable cut. I know some others on GH got good quality 122's for under $100.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 July 2012, 14:56:15 by RiffRaff »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 15:13:16 »
My F-122 was $35. The keycaps were dirty, and one was missing. As far as I can tell, the case isn't cracked, which was pretty impressive considering.

I think I got a good deal, especially once I saw the ID number was under 500.

Ofcourse I'll want to mod it to work with a modern computer. Soarer's adapter will work on it, right?

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 16:00:31 »
Yeah it should work fine with Soarer's adapter

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 17:34:08 »
A Model F 122-key terminal board is the only way to go, if you have the desk space.

You have to take it apart and move barrels and springs around to get a near-ANSI layout, but then it is exquisite.

The Teensy only costs $20-25 and works great.

Are the old wikis back up, by any chance?
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 29 July 2012, 21:01:54 »

I heard that they are up, but working on it still.

In the mean time visit waybackmachine.org for old archived versions of Geekhack.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 July 2012, 21:04:18 by RiffRaff »

Offline 486

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 02:01:58 »

I heard that they are up, but working on it still.

In the mean time visit waybackmachine.org for old archived versions of Geekhack.
I archived a lot of wikis from about 2010 and sent them to mkawa. Hopefully they will be available to all of you soon. Also, i found a Model F 122 for about $30. Add postage which would be about $50 so about $80 total. Is it worth it?

Offline bootstrap

• epiguru.com - My Personal Website
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 30 July 2012, 07:08:09 »
I archived a lot of wikis from about 2010 and sent them to mkawa. Hopefully they will be available to all of you soon. Also, i found a Model F 122 for about $30. Add postage which would be about $50 so about $80 total. Is it worth it?

If the keyboard is in good condition, I think $30 is a steal. Knowing how much these beasts weigh, I assume shipping is local or surface mail.
The Best WordPress Theme Ever | Kinesis Contoured Model 100 | IBM Model F 1387033 "Space Unsaver" | CH Products DT225 Trackball x 2

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 31 July 2012, 01:10:33 »
Also, i found a Model F 122 for about $30. Add postage which would be about $50 so about $80 total. Is it worth it?
If it's shipping from/to the USA, it should fit, well packed in a large flat-rate box. My F-122 was under $55 shipped (I believe) this way.

Offline 486

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 31 July 2012, 01:19:39 »
Also, i found a Model F 122 for about $30. Add postage which would be about $50 so about $80 total. Is it worth it?
If it's shipping from/to the USA, it should fit, well packed in a large flat-rate box. My F-122 was under $55 shipped (I believe) this way.
I live in Australia. How much does your F-122 weigh?
And also, I remember that someone was selling black Teensy plastic shells. Do you know who that was?
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 July 2012, 01:21:22 by 486 »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 31 July 2012, 10:00:45 »
Ah, shipping from US to AUS would be a lot more. (Large flat rate box is $60, so a slightly smaller box would be a little less.) I think it weighs like 8 lbs. I don't remember hearing anything about black teensy shells.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 31 July 2012, 11:01:44 »
A USPS "large flat rate board game box" is perfect for any keyboard including the F-122 with decent padding. It goes anywhere for $59.

The "flat rate" part is key. A heavy old keyboard, well-packed, will exceed the weight limits for International Air Mail so the flat rate box is the better choice.

Somebody mounted a Teensy in a really nice little box, look about halfway through Soarer's XT/AT/NKRO thread for pictures.
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 July 2012, 11:03:19 by fohat.digs »
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 01 August 2012, 17:11:15 »
The auction didn't break the reserve price.  What's up with this F AT?  It didn't meet the reserve the first time either.  Was their an artificially inflated price/bubble on the F AT's and it has now popped? 
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 01 August 2012, 22:31:24 »
I don't know about anyone else but I intentionally don't bid on any auctions that use a reserve.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 02 August 2012, 13:54:30 »
I have bought sold a lot of stuff on ebay, using all their tools.

Reserve is certainly the most ridiculous thing they have.

If you aren't selling for less than $100, why start at $1? Do you enjoy wasting your time, and other people's? And ebay charges you to put a reserve on your item!

Every seller and buyer has his own techniques. I have settled on selling almost exclusively as "Buy-it-Now" starting at the highest price I can dream of getting, and dropping incrementally until I sell. That is usually about 10% per week.

I also prefer to buy as "Buy-it-Now" if at all possible, because I am impatient and don't like to play games. I also like a sure thing.

Otherwise, I always snipe. If I am not in a hurry, I put a "lowball" snipe on every item that meets my needs, and eventually I snag one.
- Jimmy Carter 2015