Author Topic: Would kill for a Red Alert set. (threadcrapping thread)  (Read 17276 times)

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
Re: Would kill for a Red Alert set.
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 16:01:52 »
Rag ended up having an extra set for me. I grabbed it!
Goodluck to you as well, Xero!

Rag to the Rescue....

I will try to post a comparison between the two to see if you can really tell the difference... I was thinking of selling my rag red alert set since my red alert set finally showed up.
REALFORCE|FILCO|HHKB|KBC POKER X|LEOPOLD|CM STORM|SIIG (GHSS)|IBM SSK

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 17:17:30 »
It's a nice set, but it's not worth $200 =)

Exactly.  These prices are getting stupid.  $200 for keysets, $150 for CCs.  Dumb.

CC's are a problem because there is a lot of perceived value by poachers, they are sold by a retailer (elite keyboards) so there is easy access, and inherently there is a limited supply (a limited number is made which is pre planned).

This is completely different than in a group buy, where (in theory) everyone who wants and can afford a set is able to get one. That is, there is no ceiling to the production run. But the reality is (and especially of those GB's which don't originate in GH apparently), once a run has been made, it can never be done again. If the keyboard community wasn't selfish, then all custom legends would have their copyrights donated to the public and anyone could initiate a run of any set at any time as long as enough interest existed.

Take the most recent RGB gb for instance. Apparently it's wrong to do a cherry replica of RGB sets, even though there have been Moogle Kits, and that THIS community is funding the Replica project. But, you know, to protect the "exclusivity" of the GB which is for a DIFFERENT community, they'll portion out only a limited number of sets as a favor to us.  >:(

This is completely against the idea of a Group Buy IMO, and it infuriates me. Sorry for the rant and for derailing in advance, but the last couple of days have really pissed me off regarding how it's a one way street regarding our "relationship" with other communities.

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 17:24:15 »
Rag ended up having an extra set for me. I grabbed it!
Goodluck to you as well, Xero!

Rag to the Rescue....

I will try to post a comparison between the two to see if you can really tell the difference... I was thinking of selling my rag red alert set since my red alert set finally showed up.
SELL ME YOUR RED ALERT AND BUY MORE GUNS!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 17:46:26 »
It's a nice set, but it's not worth $200 =)

Exactly.  These prices are getting stupid.  $200 for keysets, $150 for CCs.  Dumb.

CC's are a problem because there is a lot of perceived value by poachers, they are sold by a retailer (elite keyboards) so there is easy access, and inherently there is a limited supply (a limited number is made which is pre planned).

This is completely different than in a group buy, where (in theory) everyone who wants and can afford a set is able to get one. That is, there is no ceiling to the production run. But the reality is (and especially of those GB's which don't originate in GH apparently), once a run has been made, it can never be done again. If the keyboard community wasn't selfish, then all custom legends would have their copyrights donated to the public and anyone could initiate a run of any set at any time as long as enough interest existed.

Take the most recent RGB gb for instance. Apparently it's wrong to do a cherry replica of RGB sets, even though there have been Moogle Kits, and that THIS community is funding the Replica project. But, you know, to protect the "exclusivity" of the GB which is for a DIFFERENT community, they'll portion out only a limited number of sets as a favor to us.  >:(

This is completely against the idea of a Group Buy IMO, and it infuriates me. Sorry for the rant and for derailing in advance, but the last couple of days have really pissed me off regarding how it's a one way street regarding our "relationship" with other communities.

Cheers,

I agree with this, though I'll offer some insight into why my Red Alert set didn't include the custom legends. Simply put, Uranium paid for them out of pocket. He didn't charge extra to those that were in the group buy to cover them, and while it might have evened out in the end because he surely made some money out of it, it was an investment that he made on his own and thus felt quite a lot of ownership over them. While its not the case that he was contacted and refused, I was never able to get in contact with him directly (I don't speak Korean) and the guy who I asked about it explained to me what I'm saying now and told me he'd contact Uranium about it... and never got back to me. Thus, while I could have paid for the new legends myself as well, and considered doing it, I chose not to because there was no definitive answer from Uranium on whether he would be okay with either allowing me to use them for free, a fee, or if I paid for it myself. Obviously if I paid for them myself he would have no real right to say no I couldn't do it, but I/GH didn't want to risk any damage to the relationship with OTD/KBDmania.

In a way, that does preserve the value of the original sets, while providing those that missed out an opportunity to get 95% of the same thing. I figured that was the most reasonable compromise.

So the short answer is: If you pay for the legends yourself, you're entitled to do whatever the hell you want, but often times when people do pay for the legends themselves, due to the significant investment, they usually don't want others to take those and profit off of their work/money.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 17:59:55 »
Would you really kill for a red alert set?

Seriously, that is ****ed up man.

Offline jrockroll

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 18:16:11 »
I know I would :D It all comes to people's preference.

Offline Kellybear

• (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 18:23:45 »
I'll make a pokemon faint.. in a game. :3

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 18:42:24 »
...but I/GH didn't want to risk any damage to the relationship with OTD/KBDmania.

What relationship? OH! You mean the one-way relationship where they get to participate in every single group buy that goes on here, and we get to participate in ever..., er, wait, I mean, NONE of theirs? You know what they call that in biology? A parasite.

I'm so sick of this BS. We should make what we want, period.

And, Rag, you could have just used 7bit's legends. They are the same as the ones Uranium paid out-of-pocket for, and you should have used them with the RA 2.0 set. But I appreciate your efforts in getting the set made, I really do.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 August 2012, 18:44:29 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 18:50:10 »
Now that jdcarpe mentioned it, why didn't we use 7bit's legends? AFAIK he was cool with that...

Offline Kellybear

• (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 18:51:08 »
WAIT WAIT WAIT, WTF. WHO CHANGED MY NAME.

edit: I'm getting trolled.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 18:53:10 »
I agree that the relationship with the the Korean forums isn't equitable.  I would like to see US and EU proxies buying from their group buys like Taeyoung and others do here.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 August 2012, 18:55:50 by hashbaz »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 18:56:43 »
...but I/GH didn't want to risk any damage to the relationship with OTD/KBDmania.

What relationship? OH! You mean the one-way relationship where they get to participate in every single group buy that goes on here, and we get to participate in ever..., er, wait, I mean, NONE of theirs? You know what they call that in biology? A parasite.

And, Rag, you could have just used 7bit's legends. They are the same as the ones Uranium paid out-of-pocket for, and you should have used them with the RA 2.0 set. But I appreciate your efforts in getting the set made, I really do.
well them joining makes stuff cheap for us since we dont have the member base they do.

but yeah, we should get in on some of their stuff once in awhile.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 18:58:35 »
well them joining makes stuff cheap for us since we dont have the member base they do.

but yeah, we should get in on some of their stuff once in awhile.

I would rather pay more, just on principle.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 18:59:01 »
well, you go and do that then.

i'll take cheaper prices.

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 19:06:23 »
So who's willingly learning Korean? :D

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 19:09:49 »
Now that jdcarpe mentioned it, why didn't we use 7bit's legends? AFAIK he was cool with that...

Because unless I did the color scheme he did, they would have been almost exactly the same, thus not helping it avoid looking like I copied them/used his legends without authorization.

Offline Kellybear

• (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 19:24:02 »
They're both the same legends for the mods though, aren't they? And what's most unique to the original RA set is the custom number row. Since when did legends only apply to certain colours? .__. I"m confused.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 19:37:04 »
They're both the same legends for the mods though, aren't they? And what's most unique to the original RA set is the custom number row. Since when did legends only apply to certain colours? .__. I"m confused.

Yes, they are the same legends. Rag didn't want to use them without Uranium's permission, but he was never able to get in contact with him to get that approval. Rag also took s**t at the beginning for even doing a Round 2 set, until he got permission from Sixty to go ahead. 7bit gave approval to use his legends, but Rag just went with the standard modifier legends, so as not to stir up any more trouble. After the way he got vilified recently, maybe Rag will just make them how he wants next time, since he still gets s**t from people, no matter what. The contrasting number row used SP's Isotherm font, which we could have used also, but it would have cost more.

in memoriam

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 19:42:07 »
Lol that's one way to do it. Maybe I will next time. XD

Offline Kellybear

• (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 19:50:50 »
Oh I seeeee.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 19:52:49 »
No problem, Killerbear. Glad I could catch you up. :P

No, you're not being trolled at the moment.

in memoriam

Offline Kellybear

• (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 19:55:47 »
WOW YOU SAW FML. LOL. T__T..

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 19:57:03 »
I was thinking about a set in Isotherm.
But it says $25 legend fee. Is that per key or for the whole order? - http://keycapsdirect.com/pdfs/LineFont.pdf

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 20:13:27 »
per

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 20:14:08 »
So who's willingly learning Korean? :D

Don't need to. I work with a Korean friend :)

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 20:25:33 »
Is she hot?

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 20:27:58 »
The proper question would be: Does she/he have an account on every Korean board?

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 20:29:17 »
the proper question would be: why are people still talking on this thread?! lol xD

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 20:33:53 »
Well, you got your RA set.
You don't need it anymore. Might as well threadcrap :D

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 20:37:19 »
Go right ahead! Doesn't bother me :D
This thread will probably always be at the top at the rate people are posting!

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 20:39:11 »

You're free to join OTD/KBDmania's GB if you go to their website.

If they see something they like that we make they don't copy it, sure there was an incident that this happened and the person apologized for it, flat out copying against the original authors permission is kind of low ;<

They come to OUR forum to join ours, you expect to be spoon fed?
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 August 2012, 20:40:46 by tsangan »
Keyboardless

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 20:40:08 »
I cant get past the OTD phone number requirement '-_-
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 20:41:18 »
I cant get past the OTD phone number requirement '-_-
I think I just put my phone number

I have an account, so does reaper, boost and many other members

All I hear is people crying that they can't get into their GBs but they can get into ours so we should copy, you want someone like Taeyoung on our end and we kinda are working on it but these things take time, now you get people such as jdcarpe to tell us to flat out copy stuff to hurt the relationship is a terrible idea.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 August 2012, 20:42:57 by tsangan »
Keyboardless

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 20:44:41 »
Hm.. Boost told me the same thing, but I've tried on numerous accounts with no luck =/
[One Keyboard at a time]

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 20:45:22 »
Hm.. Boost told me the same thing, but I've tried on numerous accounts with no luck =/
See! I knew i wasn't lying when I told other members lol

Really not sure now, I swore when I signed up it was super simple
Keyboardless

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 20:53:10 »
Ah nvm, I got it, I had to input a korean name..
[One Keyboard at a time]

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Re: Would kill for a Red Alert set. (threadcrapping thread)
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 21:18:08 »
I didnt have to do that >_>
Keyboardless

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 21:59:24 »
All I hear is people crying that they can't get into their GBs but they can get into ours so we should copy, you want someone like Taeyoung on our end and we kinda are working on it but these things take time, now you get people such as jdcarpe to tell us to flat out copy stuff to hurt the relationship is a terrible idea.

Again, what relationship? And please show me where I "[told you] to flat out copy stuff." I said we should make what we want.

I know that the Cherry legends are planned to be used for the first time in a Dolch replica group buy. I hope someone contacted Kontron AG to get their permission before we go and copy their stuff.

in memoriam

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 22:02:58 »
Again, what relationship? And please show me where I "[told you] to flat out copy stuff." I said we should make what we want.

I know that the Cherry legends are planned to be used for the first time in a Dolch replica group buy. I hope someone contacted Kontron AG to get their permission before we go and copy their stuff.

Right there, you can't really complain that this GB wasn't offered to us either because it was.

EDIT: Missed your first question, Sherry is working hard to do joint GB with KBDMania, sadly it is harder since we don't speak Korea while Taeyoung and others speak English and come to this forum, that's the difference. It's not like they do not welcome us over there
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 August 2012, 22:19:12 by tsangan »
Keyboardless

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 22:46:10 »
At that time, the copying point was moot, since Rag had already obtained permission from Sixty to recreate the set. Sixty didn't have the rights to Uranium's modifier legends, since Uranium had paid for those himself. But 7bit offered Rag to use his legends, which AFAIK are basically the same.

During the IC, you, tsangan, were against the whole idea from the outset. So it's no surprise that you are still against it. I was all for it, from the beginning, and I supported the GB by purchasing sets from Rag. It's okay, we can agree to disagree. That's what forums like this are for.

If Sherryton (or anyone else) can coordinate GBs on the Korean sites, such as what Taeyoung does for them here, that would be great. I would love to be able to purchase GB items directly from those forums. I wasn't yet a "keyboard enthusiast" when the original RA set was offered, so I can't speak to that. But so far, I haven't noticed that happening. When we are offered to paticipate in their GBs, it seems to be on a limited basis only. I just want equity between the communities, not enmity. Right now, it seems, that the Korean keyboard community is in a position of strength, while we are left to "lick up their table scraps," to put it one way. I want our community to be respected by them, as theirs is by us. If "copying" their custom keysets is a sign of bad faith, then let's not do that. But we should be able to produce a Cherry replica dyesub RGB+Y set without someone crying foul. It's not like that is exactly an original idea. If duplication of GBs exist between forums, members of both should be allowed to participate, without limit to how many sets one can purchase, just as it would be on one's own forum. But this should work the same for both sides, not just one.

in memoriam

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 22:51:53 »
Yeah I'm not sure I understand the whole "Limit how many you can buy if you're not in Korea" thing unless its a question of shipping/insurance. On the other side, more than half of my orders for RA were international, so its not like they don't take advantage of buying largely overseas. That seems a bit hypocritical and I can understand why I'd would be upset with that. But hey, I'm not a part of that community so I have no idea how it runs and it certainly isn't my place to judge their way of doing things.

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 22:56:04 »
I experienced Korean GB always are limited to non-Koreans. The RA, the KMAC, the KMAC mini, the recent Cherry Dyesub Mods (where I got angry about the Korean interference. The Subs are now cheaper, but like I said, limited), etc. pp.
I don't know what their opinion about foreigners is but I never(!) heard of unlimited supply in a Korean GB for foreigners.

If someone is mainly involved at GH and speaks Korean, why not set up a update thread for Korean GBs like the current GH one? Or add the Korean GBs to that list.
They make some awesome things which are going for horrid prices on "our" market which is just dumb.
(I don't know where to go from here, so I just end, lol)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 23:05:16 »
RA wasn't limited to koreans. the GB was on DT also. couple GHers and DTers got a set.

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 23:08:23 »
Limited as in "you only get xx sets" not as in restricted.
There was even a raffle at DT for the last sets...

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #94 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 23:09:51 »
But you have to understand this.

They come to OUR forum, use OUR language and follow OUR rules for OUR group buys

We are COMPLETELY allowed to do the same thing, when we don't we cry that they don't invite us?

I don't see how anyone can complain that this is a one way relationship, they took their time to come to GH/DT to register, speak English and  figure out what is going on

It is really as simple as that.

Limited as in "you only get xx sets" not as in restricted.
There was even a raffle at DT for the last sets...
You were allowed to buy as many as you want, people just didnt, they waited till the GB was over then started wanting it. How is that OTD/DT's fault?
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 August 2012, 23:12:57 by tsangan »
Keyboardless

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 23:14:11 »
Yeah, I tried that.
They wanted some Korean phone number for registration. This got me frustrated and I dropped it.
I don't know if this is Korean law (they do have some internet laws, i.e. Diablo 3 AH) but I'm not fond of that...

Ehm, hell yeah it was limited if you don't speak frickin Korean!

Additional InformationWe have a total of 300 sets ordered, I have about 30 available for international distribution. First come first serve. Orders will close on Sunday Night (26.06.2011) The keys will go into production after that. Then there is shipping, sorting, distribution. Expect the keycaps around October to be safe (possibly earlier).

Source:
http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/rebel-red-alert-ended-prepare-for-left-over-sets-april-1-t860.html?hilit=red%20alert

Only 30 for non-Koreans. How is that not limited? Please, enlighten me...
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 August 2012, 23:17:43 by DeathAdder »

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 23:16:40 »
Yeah, I tried that.
They wanted some Korean phone number for registration. This got me frustrated and I dropped it.
I don't know if this is Korean law (they do have some internet laws, i.e. Diablo 3 AH) but I'm not fond of that...
It's their culture/law...

I'm sure they are not fond of a lot of things we do also.

Once again I registered with a north american phone number for OTD

A lot of OTD/KBDmania users actually signed up for PayPal so they can join our GBs as this is not a service they normally use.
Keyboardless

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #97 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 23:18:31 »
i signed up to OTD/KBDmania with no problems.

don't really visit either as OTD has too much of an elitist feel to it and KBDmania gets throttled outside of SK :(

that and i dont remember my passwords.

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #98 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 23:23:43 »
limmy shared this with me: http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/4835717 it helps with the picture loading speed on KBD by far.
[One Keyboard at a time]

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 03 August 2012, 23:29:34 »
not a firefox user :(

somebody find this for chrome >.>